Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ded posted:

Looks good but I was kind of thinking about a Recumbent style bike. I've never used one that style myself but I am thinking it might be better for someone with a neck problem.

edit : reading up on comparisons the Recumbent is better for lower back problems so it won't even matter.

looks like its sold out all over - bestbuy, amazon, and 2 sporting goods stores that schwinn lists as sellers near me

COVID!

Looking at the schwinn webiste, I think their production is shut down right now. The estimated delivery direct from them is 'within 60 days'. Need to find something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So as a "bike guy" let me just say that it's extremely a seller's market for bikes right now. Shelter in place and the closure of gyms has led to everyone remembering they've got a bike in their garage, or if they've realized they don't have a bike in their garage, they've gone out and bought one. Also, Schwinn and a bunch of other box store brands are pretty entry-level and low quality in terms of components used and also longevity; unfortunately, cycling of any type gets pretty expensive if you want something really good.

Also, on an unrelated note, I downloaded Michael Pollan's latest audiobook "How to Change Your Mind." Read by the author, it's all about the history of psychedelics and their therapeutic use. Very interesting and good book, I'm about halfway through it and would recommend it to anyone interested in cognitive freedom, mental health, or shrooms in general.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

oh yeah I sold my fixie and road bike about a month ago, got way more than I expected. Tons of replies within minute of posting both ads

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://theymightbegiants.merchdirect.com/

TMBG are selling merchandise from their rescheduled Winter/Spring Flood 30th anniversary tour. Picked up a t-shirt to commemorate that I missed the date I was supposed to see and won't be able to catch it when it rescheduled dates

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://theymightbegiants.merchdirect.com/

TMBG are selling merchandise from their rescheduled Winter/Spring Flood 30th anniversary tour. Picked up a t-shirt to commemorate that I missed the date I was supposed to see and won't be able to catch it when it rescheduled dates

Flood show here sold out super fast. Glad I didn't pay a scalper!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Went to bed last night watching the S4 finale of Rick and Morty. Watching episodes from the last season has been an easy way to end my day with some laughs over the past week or so.

Though the finale...that ending song and the whole "lovely parent who means well" arc slapped real loving hard. It's been a little less than a year since my mom died, but it is still a pendulum of emotions at times. gently caress :smith:

Don't mind me, just needed a space to vent.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i loved the vat of acid episode

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That and the Snake planet arc were def. some of the funniest things I've seen in awhile.

"In case of ladle"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Snake jazz.

I'm mowing through weed today. Hit a pound before lunch, might hit two pounds today. The weed at this job is pretty goddamn awesome stuff. Maybe one more full day, then I have a 24 day weekend.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Handsome Ralph posted:

Went to bed last night watching the S4 finale of Rick and Morty. Watching episodes from the last season has been an easy way to end my day with some laughs over the past week or so.

Though the finale...that ending song and the whole "lovely parent who means well" arc slapped real loving hard. It's been a little less than a year since my mom died, but it is still a pendulum of emotions at times. gently caress :smith:

Don't mind me, just needed a space to vent.

Hey man. Victim of parental abuse here.

I go through that a lot. I love my mom, still talk to her, still care about her.

But I cannot forget the years of poo poo that really stunted me. I still flinch thinking about some things that she did and enabled.

My mom had several times tackled me and smothered me with her whole body weight when I would try to run away from an rear end-whooping. I was a skinny kid and she was a very physically strong woman.

Seeing George Floyd die crying for his mother and saying he couldn't breathe was devastating for so many heartbreaking and conflicting reasons.

My mom still has a real manipulative streak. She maintained and still makes excuses whenever her guilt comes up from within.

"I was just a kid raising a kid." "I made mistakes." "There were good times too."

That voice rings in my head all the time. Therapy has helped loosening it's influence over me, and allows me to know that many conflicting things can be true about my mother, and myself.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry for pain that you endured.

You're not alone.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wasabi the J posted:

Hey man. Victim of parental abuse here.

I go through that a lot. I love my mom, still talk to her, still care about her.

But I cannot forget the years of poo poo that really stunted me. I still flinch thinking about some things that she did and enabled.

My mom had several times tackled me and smothered me with her whole body weight when I would try to run away from an rear end-whooping. I was a skinny kid and she was a very physically strong woman.

Seeing George Floyd die crying for his mother and saying he couldn't breathe was devastating for so many heartbreaking and conflicting reasons.

My mom still has a real manipulative streak. She maintained and still makes excuses whenever her guilt comes up from within.

"I was just a kid raising a kid." "I made mistakes." "There were good times too."

That voice rings in my head all the time. Therapy has helped loosening it's influence over me, and allows me to know that many conflicting things can be true about my mother, and myself.

I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry for pain that you endured.

You're not alone.

Thanks, my dude. :hfive:

Def. feel you on therapy, that poo poo helps a ton. And oh my god, I heard "We had good times too!" so many loving times too. I'm fortunate enough that I did get to have some form of a closure conversation with my mom before she died. I don't think either of us expected it to be that, but it's something I was able to get despite the suddenness of her death. So I'm thankful for that.

Most days are good, just little things every once in awhile are a stark reminder of how bad it was. Call it survivors guilt or whatever you want but I am still in shock sometimes that I made it out of that and I am where I am today.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Speaking of, and I’m sorry this is long. Some of you already know this info from the discord.

I haven’t spoke to my mom in a while. I wrote her a letter last week.

I’ve always been chasing the “why.” Why am I the way I am? Over the course of writing the letter I realized that when I have anger outbursts, I turn back into a 7 year old kid.

Anytime I would misbehave growing up my mom would threaten to send me to live with my dad (my parents got divorced before I was out of diapers). As a kid with abandonment issues because of my dad, my mom was my security blanket and pretty much my God. So when she would threaten to send me to live with my dad, I would beg and plead her not to. She would let me cry and panic for hours. This was her parenting method until she got remarried when I was 15. You’d think I’d stop believing her empty threat one day, right?

Imagine the only person you have in your life is telling you they’re abandoning you. And imagine you’re not even 10 years old yet.

Because of that, anytime I get into an argument with someone and it reaches a certain point, I turn back into that kid who is begging his mom to not send him away.

Like a 7 year old.

This has been an incredibly profound realization for me. I’ve always blamed my dad for the way I am and was only focused on that for so many years of therapy and counseling.

I feel like I have clarity. All week I have felt very at ease with my past. The things I find unforgivable that I’ve done? I feel much more open to forgiving myself now.

A friend of mine even commented that I seem much less “full” and that I don’t seem like the entire world is on my shoulders.

I didn’t send the letter to my mom. I think I got what I need from it.

If you remember a year ago in March, I posted about how terrible of a person I am. I won’t go into details, but that bad day where I started thinking that I’m a terrible person is probably going to be one of the most important days of my life because it kickstarted this journey of self improvement. After that, I found a counselor who has helped me progress more than any other before her. She is so loving annoying but in the best way possible. She has helped guide me through this, and it’s been invaluable.

To summarize, I think I can finally begin to really work on myself. I found my “why” and I now feel like I have a much clearer focus on who I am and what makes me tick.

Next week I might feel different. I might be back to that same dude I was before I wrote the letter. But what I’m feeling right now is a level of comfort with myself and who I am that I haven’t previously ever felt before, so at the very least I have proven to myself that improvement is possible.

I appreciate this community for putting up with my bullshit for however long we’ve been here. Everyone has been incredibly supportive. And for long stretches, you were my only friends. I wouldn’t have made it through a lot of my poo poo without this place.

SMDFTB and gently caress you if you’re still in though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
^ yeah that's kind of an element of the parts therapy that I go to. There's a piece of you that gets stuck in the past when you're traumatized, and if you don't process the emotions, they manifest like that. ^

Speaking of guilt, my mom was an incredible schoolteacher.

She was also a lesbian in the Navy before DADT, and in Texas. I grew up calling stepmothers aunt for a long while.

When I came to recognize the abuse, I knew that telling on my mom got ignored by the police, and I actually knew foster kids and poo poo sucked for them bad.

She's a damned icon for dozens of kids. Tons of classmates considered her their favorite teacher for how supportive and dedicated a teacher she was. Her story inspired lots of kids to come out or getting into college.

I felt like I grew up with 120 more successful brothers and sisters every semester.

So I've lived in a closet within a closet for most of my youth until I was nearly a man.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 18, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Woofer posted:

Anytime I would misbehave growing up my mom would threaten to send me to live with my dad (my parents got divorced before I was out of diapers). As a kid with abandonment issues because of my dad, my mom was my security blanket and pretty much my God. So when she would threaten to send me to live with my dad, I would beg and plead her not to. She would let me cry and panic for hours. This was her parenting method until she got remarried when I was 15. You’d think I’d stop believing her empty threat one day, right?

Imagine the only person you have in your life is telling you they’re abandoning you. And imagine you’re not even 10 years old yet.

Because of that, anytime I get into an argument with someone and it reaches a certain point, I turn back into that kid who is begging his mom to not send him away.

Like a 7 year old.
I appreciate this community for putting up with my bullshit for however long we’ve been here. Everyone has been incredibly supportive. And for long stretches, you were my only friends. I wouldn’t have made it through a lot of my poo poo without this place.

You're a good dude. Monty is lucky to have you.

And oh man, my mom did this poo poo to me too and I suffered (still do in some respects) the same way you described it. Therapy was a huge help and so was a lot of introspection.

A few years ago, my ex-fiancee who was in the foreign service and on a TDY flew me out for a week to see her after she was gone for 1.5 months, only to tell me upon my arrival that she wanted to call it off because she was in love with some guy she met at her post. So that combined with aforementioned abandonment issues while in a foreign country was a fun time. poo poo worked out in the long run (and I consider her a bullet dodged at this point, Jesus Christ), but that was not a fun period for me. I'm just glad it kind of forced me back into therapy before I met my wife. I thought I had a lot of that poo poo sorted out and I was mistaken.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Well this is a disturbingly enlightening conversation, I finish reading that and a tidal wave of memories. Cue my brain connecting the dots with my dad dipping out over infidelity, mom working insane hours to make ends meet, frequent martyr guilt trips by her years afterward that just turn into bitter resentment, and sprinkle in the secret ingredient of her threatening to leave me and my brothers in the middle of the night and just disappear off the face of the earth. Cole, I think you saved me a couple grand in therapy just now.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Thanks for sharing y'all. I don't think grownups talk honestly about abuse, that whole 5th commandment thing runs pretty deep for me.

And I'm not trying to encourage any sense of pity. I just don't get to explain and explore why I'm a weird kid; and for a long time I didn't even understand why.

Everyone has their own truth.

And now that I finally get it, the country I loved betrayed me too, because I thought the Nazis were the bad guys.

Ain't that a kick in the head?

I'm really glad I got so much going for me right now, so I count those blessings.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Woofer posted:

Speaking of, and I’m sorry this is long. Some of you already know this info from the discord.

I haven’t spoke to my mom in a while. I wrote her a letter last week.

I’ve always been chasing the “why.” Why am I the way I am? Over the course of writing the letter I realized that when I have anger outbursts, I turn back into a 7 year old kid.

Like a 7 year old.

This has been an incredibly profound realization for me. I’ve always blamed my dad for the way I am and was only focused on that for so many years of therapy and counseling.

I feel like I have clarity. All week I have felt very at ease with my past. The things I find unforgivable that I’ve done? I feel much more open to forgiving myself now.

A friend of mine even commented that I seem much less “full” and that I don’t seem like the entire world is on my shoulders.

I didn’t send the letter to my mom. I think I got what I need from it.

If you remember a year ago in March, I posted about how terrible of a person I am. I won’t go into details, but that bad day where I started thinking that I’m a terrible person is probably going to be one of the most important days of my life because it kickstarted this journey of self improvement. After that, I found a counselor who has helped me progress more than any other before her. She is so loving annoying but in the best way possible. She has helped guide me through this, and it’s been invaluable.

To summarize, I think I can finally begin to really work on myself. I found my “why” and I now feel like I have a much clearer focus on who I am and what makes me tick.

Next week I might feel different. I might be back to that same dude I was before I wrote the letter. But what I’m feeling right now is a level of comfort with myself and who I am that I haven’t previously ever felt before, so at the very least I have proven to myself that improvement is possible.

You’re a goo...

Woofer posted:

SMDFTB and gently caress you if you’re still in though.

...... Dude Cole.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

A member of our well regulated militia that lived in my building accidentally fired her pistol in her apartment. Sent a round into the next apartment and took out a window. The windows are custom made so they have to bring a crane in to repair it.

Her excuse according to the incident report submitted to the apartment complex is that the safety is too close to the trigger.

She’s in the military.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Checks out

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Pull trigger once to fire, twice to engage safety.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Yup. Par for the course.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Wait, you mean you're not supposed to fire into the clearing barrel?? :monocle:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I wonder how that excuse would fly, "I was just testing the clearing barrel to make sure it still worked."

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Naked Bear posted:

Wait, you mean you're not supposed to fire into the clearing barrel?? :monocle:

Great post/user avatar combo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://twitter.com/hwinkler4real/status/1274882055462023170?s=19

https://twitter.com/ConserveLetters/status/1274883319231062017?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

My old man could really use a creative hobby and we've settled on drawing/painting. Figure I can get him some sketching and watercolor supplies to start, but is there anything he could read to get started? Otherwise I figure it's time to drag him into heavier youtube use...but that comes with a talk about what to avoid on youtube and how algorithms work.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

My daughter loves to draw, but sometimes the inspiration needs a little jump start. This particular book has helped a ton in that regard, and helped broaden her artistic horizons. If your dad is just starting out, something like that might help.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Suntan Boy posted:

My daughter loves to draw, but sometimes the inspiration needs a little jump start. This particular book has helped a ton in that regard, and helped broaden her artistic horizons. If your dad is just starting out, something like that might help.

That book is really neat, I never knew they made something like that. I used to have some decent drawing ability when I was young. I remember in school we did some exercises from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and that was really fun. Specifically I remember the one where you take a picture you want to draw, turn it upside down and cover it with a sheet of paper. Slowly reveal a little bit of the picture at a time sliding the top sheet off until you are done drawing. Basically your brain can't "see" what the picture is (its upside down and mostly covered) so you end up drawing more accurately instead of making assumptions about what parts of the image look like. It's kind of scary that it really worked from what I remember.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

they air Bob Ross on Twitch, you can avoid all the algorithm bs

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Oh that's a neat suggestion, thank you

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://m.twitch.tv/bobross

edit: twitch pushed a ton of art channels and stuff when they launched with bob ross, might be worth checking out. plus phones and devices have twitch apps so he can browse there and avoid youtube targets and poo poo for his age group

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 23, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

What do you goons do with old laptops that you have no use for?

I have two.

One is about ten years old and half the keyboard doesn’t work. And the other is about six years old and the shell is cracked in half on the bottom so you can’t really pick it up and carry it anywhere (and it’s also an incredibly slow piece of poo poo — it was my primary laptop until I upgraded recently).

Seems wasteful to just throw them in the garbage, and I’m not much of a pc hobbyist to tinker with them.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Given their age and physical condition, I would have otherwise recommended that you donate them to a school or other institution that could make good use of them, but it’d probably be more expensive than it’s worth to repair them or get them functioning again. I’d say make sure your data is wiped and then see what your city has for processing e-waste.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 23, 2020

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

I have two.

One is about ten years old and half the keyboard doesn’t work. And the other is about six years old and the shell is cracked in half on the bottom so you can’t really pick it up and carry it anywhere (and it’s also an incredibly slow piece of poo poo — it was my primary laptop until I upgraded recently).

Seems wasteful to just throw them in the garbage, and I’m not much of a pc hobbyist to tinker with them.

Yeah I would scrap them both. If one was in good physical condition I would install Ubuntu and use it as a shop PC.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I've been traveling for work quite a bit recently. Do any of you know what hotel rewards programs are worth signing up for? Our stays are booked and paid through a third party, so I understand that disqualifies me from gathering points at some chains. Once I'm running my own routes, I get some say on what places I stay, but so far my colleagues training me had me in Hampton Inn, Staybridge and a Fairfield. Honestly this is my first real world job and I have no idea how business travel works!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's not the best, but definitely one of the more flexible if you get one of the fancier cards, is the amex rewards.

You can do better if you sign up for individual chain things, but just as a starter I was picking up 4 x amex points for just paying with the card at checkout.

Maxing out points you can dive deep into the rabbit hole, there's websites dedicated for it. I don't travel gently caress all anymore though, so it still works for me just fine.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I have a Chase Sapphire for travel. Though I’d wait until the pandemic is over to get a travel card with a $95/$495 fee attached.

A lot of people I know that travel for work prefer the Marriott card.

You don’t necessarily need a hotel reward card to get travel benefits.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Nah, we don't actually pay for the hotels. We call some booking agency, tell them what town we're staying in, and they book and pay for our reservation by fax, and we just go check in. I never even get my card out at the desk. To clarify my original question, does anyone know which hotels will let me bank points with the third party reservations?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Probably all of them. We would have our stuff booked through third party and i would go to the desk and have my reservation moved to my account number. It seems like a common thing people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Woofer posted:

I have two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLP_L7Mgz6M