Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Nick Soapdish posted:

Up early on Labor Day with pork shoulder in the smoker and drink in hand. Gonna go back to sleep after walking the dog.

My husband got me a ThermoWorks dual thermometer that measures both internal meat temp and ambient smoker temp for my birthday so first time using that over the smoker's default temp reader

Please report to the dog thread and post pictures of Napoleon scoring bits of pork shoulder. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Please report to the dog thread and post pictures of Napoleon scoring bits of pork shoulder. :3:

Our dog's name is Chicago and he got some of the pork when I was wrapping it in butcher paper. He got a lot of good steak and fat when we made ribeyes on Sunday.

Edit:

New topic: Would anyone be able to look at a federal resume compared to my regular rear end resume? I should have it done tonight. The local VA hospital has an opening for a Social Worker that doesn't require an independent LCSW but allows for those working on hours LCSWA

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 8, 2020

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ah, poo poo, I knew I forgot to do something. I did say that I'd write something up on fed hiring; I'll come up with something and post it this week.

Nick Soapdish posted:

New topic: Would anyone be able to look at a federal resume compared to my regular rear end resume? I should have it done tonight. The local VA hospital has an opening for a Social Worker that doesn't require an independent LCSW but allows for those working on hours LCSWA
Yeah, shoot me a PM with a link to the job posting, too, and I'll take a look at it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

Ah, poo poo, I knew I forgot to do something. I did say that I'd write something up on fed hiring; I'll come up with something and post it this week.

Yeah, shoot me a PM with a link to the job posting, too, and I'll take a look at it.

Thanks man, I shot you a couple PMs with my stuff. I am sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate a fed jobs primer to help. I was just surprised to finally find a req that didn't want already independently licensed so hadn't given much work into building a fed resume

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I literally look at the fed hiring reqs and while I might be interested in the jobs and hell might even qualify, I can't make sense of the loving requirements on USAJOBS in order to tailor my resume to something that might get a second look.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I am interested in federal hiring as well. Retire here in December and have a resume for regular jobs but am being told to cast a wide net in my job search.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
There's a thread in BFC where us Feds answer questions.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

There's a thread in BFC where us Feds answer questions.

Link plz BFC is a strange land to me.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324421&pagenumber=195&perpage=40

Never linked in phone app before, cool.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4

Never read the books, probably should at some point but this does look cool.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

orange juche posted:

I literally look at the fed hiring reqs and while I might be interested in the jobs and hell might even qualify, I can't make sense of the loving requirements on USAJOBS in order to tailor my resume to something that might get a second look.

I haven't looked in ages, but I'm told that there is a resume tool on USAJobs that you can use to make sure you have all the required documentation.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Handsome Ralph posted:

Just read the first one. It’s the only one that matters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That actually looks like an adaptation. Holy poo poo.

Shields look loving awesome.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

That actually looks like an adaptation. Holy poo poo.

Shields look loving awesome.

I hope they do right by the book, the last time it was attempted it came out awful.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Hekk posted:

Just read the first one. It’s the only one that matters.

Respectfully disagree with this. You can read up through God Emperor and be good. God Emperor is unique and not for everyone, but it's still an amazing novel. You can skip the next two and never look back.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I wish the costumes were more colorful like the mobious concept drawings...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

I hope they do right by the book, the last time it was attempted it came out awful.

There are a bunch of little things that jump out at me and give me hope. A big one is that fish-covered headboard. That's a dope rear end scene, and it looks EXACTLY as it did in my junior high imagination. Shields, as mentioned. Ornithopters look sick. Sandworm is unfuckingreal (and I'm glad they showed it in the first trailer, because now I know what we'll see in the next one). Yueh and the Harkonnens. Pretty sure we see Shadout Mapes for gently caress's sake.

Day 1, IMAX. Hell yes.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
V excited for part two

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

There are a bunch of little things that jump out at me and give me hope. A big one is that fish-covered headboard. That's a dope rear end scene, and it looks EXACTLY as it did in my junior high imagination. Shields, as mentioned. Ornithopters look sick. Sandworm is unfuckingreal (and I'm glad they showed it in the first trailer, because now I know what we'll see in the next one). Yueh and the Harkonnens. Pretty sure we see Shadout Mapes for gently caress's sake.

Day 1, IMAX. Hell yes.

The sword fights with shields are fast instead of slow like in the book but I understand how dumb a fight like that would look in trailers. I do question what adjustment will need to be made when fighting without shields though.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

I'm not 100 percent stuff on how they're handling the Harkonnen, but the might be because of the Lynch version. That being said, their planet is supposed to be an industrial shithole, and so far they look the part.

Dave Bautista and Skellan Skarsgard make me hopeful, too.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've been hyperventilating for the last half an hour over it. Holy poo poo.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I haven't looked in ages, but I'm told that there is a resume tool on USAJobs that you can use to make sure you have all the required documentation.
That might be referring to a couple of things. There is a resumé builder that will let you type in your experience and education in a way that's no-nonsense and asks for most of the basic info that fed agencies generally care about. When you're filling out most application questionnaires, there should also be a section at the end that asks you where the documents you've included should go (e.g. "NakedBear2020.pdf" should be a "resumé" document; "HardKnocksBS.pdf" should be a "transcript" document). If HR sets this up correctly, it'll be clearly marked which items are required as part of the application package; anything not marked as required is optional.

e: If you guys have questions, please feel to start firing them off and I'll try to address them all at once in my word vomit thing. I can already see that qualifications are a sticky point; that'll probably constitute the bulk of it.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 10, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hekk posted:

The sword fights with shields are fast instead of slow like in the book but I understand how dumb a fight like that would look in trailers. I do question what adjustment will need to be made when fighting without shields though.

As I recall, the key to shield fighting was doing fast stuff with one hand, while being sneaky and slow with the other.

Also, this is only the first half of the book, which makes sense. Paul's eyes aren't changed in the trailer. There's also a pretty clear point to cut in the book.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I hope the Pink Floyd is just for the trailer. It's not bad, it just doesn't fit.

e: I get that it's a Jodorowsky shoutout, but it pulled me right out of the trailer.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 10, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Don't worry I'm pretty sure Denis Villeneuve wasn't able to reunite Pink Floyd to score the film

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I am baffled that people don't like a Hans Zimmer remix of Floyd.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

joat mon posted:

I hope the Pink Floyd is just for the trailer. It's not bad, it just doesn't fit.

e: I get that it's a Jodorowsky shoutout, but it pulled me right out of the trailer.

I mean, Jodorowsky's version of Dune would have been an epic movie, if anyone had thought to break it up into movie size blocks. Unfortunately nobody apparently even considered it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its gotta meet the Sci-Fi miniseries bar of quality.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Godholio posted:

I am baffled that people don't like a Hans Zimmer remix of Floyd.

Floyd but with even bigger sound? Sign me the gently caress up fam. Rework some of the 70's synth with big zimmer BWAAAAAM energy.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://youtu.be/eW7Twd85m2g

HYPE HYPE HYPE

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
wtf is a group interview? One of my applications for a position working as a "Utility Locate Tech" called me back yesterday to try to jam me into a group interview today. How does that go? I guess I have to shave and maybe not smoke weed today??

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

US Berder Patrol posted:

wtf is a group interview? One of my applications for a position working as a "Utility Locate Tech" called me back yesterday to try to jam me into a group interview today. How does that go? I guess I have to shave and maybe not smoke weed today??

You're literally in a group of other people being interviewed as a group. Enjoy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You're literally in a group of other people being interviewed as a group. Enjoy

at once what I expected, and what I dreaded

lol job hunting is so stupid what the hell is wrong with our work culture

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Smoke your weed, interview stoned.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

expert mode

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Got a text from my nephew this afternoon. He’s a teenager and wants to know about the military.

I am completely and utterly unprepared for the conversation. But I feel like I gotta have it, and hammer home how bad an idea enlisting is. Because eventually he’ll be having the conversation with my Dad, who was enlisted, and Commissioned. And I don’t know if he’s really pro or against his grandson joining, but his career was more blessed than crab man by an order of magnitude (So far, no telling how sweet crab mans ride might be) and I’m afraid my nephew might think that’s what the military, or at least the Navy, is like.

Any advice?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm right at a pound trimmed and the day is only half done. Some really nice buds this batch. I mean, I'm lucky to trim weed this nice, the top shelf here is nearly $200/oz after taxes, compared to $150/oz neighborhood most of town charges, and they still sell out every month.

Having my lunch joint then it's back to staring at weed for another 5 hours.

/\ Shim, tell your nephew straight up that it sucks and if he considers anything, air force. Although he sees you and your pops and where the service has gotten you guys.

At the least, if he's seriously considering enlisting, push him to in a direction that has a lower chud density as far as a career, so he hears more opinions than the standard military poo poo about republicans and defense and blah blah. Assuming he gets a high enough GT score.

Tell him you want to see his asvab results lol.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 15, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

hammer home how bad an idea enlisting is.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There are definitive positives to it, like stable pay and eventual benefits, but then there's serving in the forever wars under a fascist.

Send your nephew this way when he's 21 and I'll find him a weed job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If you want me to talk to him about doing the reserves so he can get a taste of stupidity without actually having a lovely life you can PM me.