Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Dear God the hills where I live whooped my rear end. Jesus Christ.

My quads are hating me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Mustang posted:

Dear God the hills where I live whooped my rear end. Jesus Christ.

My quads are hating me right now.

I'm jealous- haven't been outdoors on a bike in over a month. I think one of the cycling threads in the fitness forum still has the motto "it never gets easier, you just get faster". I personally think it gets a little easier and a decent amount faster

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Just lancing and draining for an internal abscess (are those called the same thing?) as opposed to something cutaneous seems incredibly risky.

I had a Kinder-Surprise-Egg-sized pilonidal cyst removed on my lower back and that was already something where they went with secondary/open treatment & packing.

Just draining a localized infection somewhere between the internal organs is physically making me recoil irl

I was dying. They had been pumping antibiotics, which one nurse said was the "equivalent of bleach", into me for about 7 days, I'd had 15 canulas as the drugs were causing the veins to collapse or something, I was on morphine for the pain and had a temp over 40+ and a heart rate of 90+. As soon as the needle hit the abcess I actually just dropped a massive sigh as the relief was immediate. 3 more nights in to monitor me then home with a tube hanging out of me and a bag on the end of it.
I'll leave the part about back flushing the drain everyday to your imagination.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Burt posted:

I was dying. They had been pumping antibiotics, which one nurse said was the "equivalent of bleach", into me for about 7 days, I'd had 15 canulas as the drugs were causing the veins to collapse or something, I was on morphine for the pain and had a temp over 40+ and a heart rate of 90+. As soon as the needle hit the abcess I actually just dropped a massive sigh as the relief was immediate. 3 more nights in to monitor me then home with a tube hanging out of me and a bag on the end of it.

:stare:

gently caress.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Right before I left for the Army I got a bad peritonsillar abscess.

I thought it was just a bad sore throat for days until I couldn't loving swallow without weeping in pain.

Strange watching one of those big turkey baster syringes fill up with pus from my mouth; loving thing filled up. Doc said it was the size of a golf ball I think.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Burt posted:

Holy poo poo dude.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
:vomarine:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Burt posted:

Have you been investigating corruption in Eastern Europe or something? Glad you're doing better, that sounds horrible

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Interrupting #abcesschat by stating that this cover of RATM’s “Killing in the Name” just slaps

https://youtu.be/Y37grYuY0a0

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
@ Crusty Minge

I finally got a call back for some kind of weed job. No MED badge necessary. It's a lab technician position in some kind of manufacturing facility, presumably one that produces some kind of weed or CBD extract. I interview tomorrow, but it says mid and overnight shift and only starts at $15 so prolly not. You know anything about these kind of jobs?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nice.

Yeah, they honestly tend to pay better than actual weed jobs because of that big cbd boom/bust. Pretty sure the market keeps up because of exports. The weed job market here has 2 people fighting for each job, so taking one that won't land you at minimum wage and is technically not weed is great. Starting pay in the Springs is $12-13/hr most places unless you have experience.

As far as extraction, there's a bunch of different ways around it, so I couldn't say for sure that you'll see one method over another. Likely you'll start in packaging and be led into working a bud smasher of some variety (literally heated plates and a hydraulic press). Butane/propane extractions are pretty common. I doubt you're going to see dry ice extraction, that's primarily thc for bubble hash.

I'm sure there are more methods, but as long as they don't have you trying to squeeze the buds with a hair iron, you should be in a good spot. Since hemp doesn't have the hangups with taxes and incentives and poo poo, also regulated differently, the pay should stay decent for a while. And it's a solid stepping stone into a weed lab.

If you decide to get a badge after a few months, I can probably get you an interview at a great shop in the Springs, but I don't have any connections in Denver.

Oh and if they're running 2-3 shifts, they've got to be producing some hilarious volume. There are definitely multi-shift grows and labs. Just try to keep mellow and don't get wrapped up in work drama, it's so easy to do when you're surrounded by potheads.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 24, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
interview went p. well. It sounded like they were gonna offer me a job with the same pay as the utility locate job. The role would be working in a little factory that makes hemp into cbd isolate. They grind it, blast it with hydrocarbons, distill what they want, and salvage a few useful byproducts from the sludge.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Okay, so propane/butane extraction. That's pretty standard on the weed end. Can't imagine the amount of money those companies have dumped into equipment.

Congrats!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I have a camping trip with my mountain biking team this weekend, and we’re gonna have a potluck BBQ on Saturday night. My contribution is dessert, so any excuse to make two loaves of banana bread, augmented with chopped walnuts, chocolate chips and a little splash of bourbon for texture. Just made a salmon dinner for my wife and I and I’ve got another loaf of banana bread cooking in the oven for us.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I wanna bike more, but I gotta prioritize walking Juniper more especially with thr wife injured.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

I'm sure it's been talked about but Cobra Kai is really loving good.

Also does anyone here have a Raspberry Pi with Pihole setup? I had one setup but it was on a much older Pi and it finally died last week. Bought a new raspberry pi and I am having a hell of a time getting it to work.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Handsome Ralph posted:

Also does anyone here have a Raspberry Pi with Pihole setup? I had one setup but it was on a much older Pi and it finally died last week. Bought a new raspberry pi and I am having a hell of a time getting it to work.

I do, it's fairly easy, install raspbian, and then run the script from the github for pihole. If you want to go for maximum graphs and poo poo you can use the pihole as your DHCP server so that it handles IP address handouts, because then it will actually break out which devices are making queries for which websites, vs it just showing up in your log as your router making requests for DNS entries.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

orange juche posted:

I do, it's fairly easy, install raspbian, and then run the script from the github for pihole. If you want to go for maximum graphs and poo poo you can use the pihole as your DHCP server so that it handles IP address handouts, because then it will actually break out which devices are making queries for which websites, vs it just showing up in your log as your router making requests for DNS entries.

Yeah I did that last time I set one up and it was easy as hell. This time for whatever reason I keep running into little errors here and there.

When it works though, it's awesome.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I gave up on home DNS poo poo and just bought a $20/yr subscription to NextDNS

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
In anticipation of going camping this weekend, I bought a 16 pack of white castle cheeseburgers at the store today. I'm going to blow the seat off my shitter before leaving in the morning, then fart the car to death on the 4-6 hour drive.

Goddamn I miss proper white castle. This freezer section poo poo just isn't as good.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I jumped off the carb deep end and had ramen for dinner, washed down with a chocolate malt.

I actually feel bad for my toilet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm on a pi 3+ I think and it's doing fine as DNS.

They changed the way block lists work on it so that fucks up some people; but it's smarter and does regular expression based filtering, so it's a lot better at detecting ad requests from long "random" addresses.

Also using it as DHCP because why not?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Surprisingly good cell phone/data reception down at Great Sand Dunes (cat litter and ashtray) NP. Not so much out on BLM south of Poncha Springs. Smokey as hell out there, too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I switched to NextDNS so I wouldn't have to dick around with a PiHole container anymore. I also found out that when you set a primary and secondary DNS in the router it uses them interchangeably instead of reserving one as a fallback, so I couldn't set a backup to 8.8.8.8 like I wanted.

It's a little weird paying $20/yr for DNS but it's fast and I like the dashboard. It's also way easier to use on mobile devices.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1309634616127418369?s=20

8-bit guy becoming the problematic Texan I guess. Dude also referred to the Black electrician who wired up his studio out back as "Morgan Freeman".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/compgeke/status/1309634616127418369?s=20

8-bit guy becoming the problematic Texan I guess. Dude also referred to the Black electrician who wired up his studio out back as "Morgan Freeman".

yeah i cringed fuckin hard at that part

he also ran an airsoft channel for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tasAi13pehA

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

That dude looks like a turbofuckingnerd that didn't get bullied enough in high school.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

That dude looks like a turbofuckingnerd that didn't get bullied enough in high school.

1000% and also was most assuredly a phone phreaker

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I don't want to get my hopes up but just got out of a Zoom interview and if I don't get this job I don't know what I could've done better or different

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nick Soapdish posted:

I don't want to get my hopes up but just got out of a Zoom interview and if I don't get this job I don't know what I could've done better or different

Congrats!

I just got done with another job interview where I was told I'm over and underqualified for the position.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Nick Soapdish posted:

Getting your hopes up after successful job interviews is fine. If you don't get it, just take a step back, try to evaluate your performance, acknowledge that whatever decision was made may not have been based on something you could have changed or done differently, and until then, stay positive.

Congrats!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My documentation managed to convince the Project Management Institute that I have 3,500 hours of project management experience. I have been cleared to pay them a bunch of money and take the PMP exam. So it’s starting to look like my exit plan is coming to fruition.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Still waiting for my ISO/IEC27001 lead implementer exam results, if I can clock in enough hours I'm certified. Wonder if I can grind something out of that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My dad and step mom are both presumptive for rona. Step-mom is mostly ok just bad cough. Dad has bad fever and low oxygen. Was at 103 and 90% at the doctor yesterday. They're awaiting official results.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been posting my seasonal boozemaking adventured in the discord's food channel, but I thought I'd make an effortpost here as well.

The neighbor two houses down from me has let most of the fruit on their trees drop and rot on the ground most years, but this year I happened to run into them and got permission to pick their pears and apples.

First in season was the pears. Most of it was fine, some bruises and scrapes, but the moths left most of it alone. I gave them a rinse, cut off some nasty sections and ground them up.

Usually you have to rent, buy or build a press, where renting is around $40 and buying $100-300. Luckily, I have a tool library nearby that rents them for $10 for 2 days. It's pretty competitive to get it checked out.

One pear tree yielded about 2 1/2 gallons of juice. I added some acid blend, some black tea tannin and cane sugar to get the gravity to 1.051. If it ferments dry, that'll be 5.5-6% alcohol. Pitched some lalvin 1118 yeast and now Matthew Perry is in secondary clearing out(pictured in primary fermentation)

Nearly a month later the apples were ready to pick. It's a much bigger tree, so it yielded about twice as much fruit as the pear tree, but almost all were hosed up by codling moth larvae.

I spent waaaay too much time cutting every apple open and removing each worm's tunnel and poo poo from most apples (some were too far gone to bother with), but ended up with a fuckload of clean apples to press.

I came up just short of 5 gallons, which, after the amount of labor that went into it, puts this cider at about $20/gallon. Not much of a deal, since I can get it for under $8.

Oh well, take a quart of the cider, dissolve a lb of brown sugar, lb of raisins, can of apple juice concentrate, and a bunch of spices and get it hot enough to sterilize everything. (I aim for >165 and let it sit for 15 minutes)

Dump it in the tank, aerate it, pitch yeast, and wait a while. This should come out to about 8% abv.

Lastly, I have a giant elderberry bush at work and a pretty large one at my house. The wife made a ton of syrup last year but we didn't get anywhere near using it all up, so this year I used 6 lbs to make wine and left 2 lbs for syrup.

Recipe I followed recommended cold soaking the berries for a few days to extract color without extracting tannins, so 4 days later I crushed the berries and added some lemon juice and about 3 lbs of sugar to get it up to a gravity of 1.088. That should get me to 11%.

This'll take the longest to age(recipe says 2 years(!)), but I doubt it'll last that long before we drink it.

I'll probably do at least another 5 gallons of cider with stuff from an orchard by Olympia, but that's not for at least another week. I've got like 2 cups of blackberries I wanna use in a cider, and the wife loves some ginger cider I made last year, so once the big bucket opens up I'll probably start making more.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 2, 2020

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
gently caress dude, sorry. Hope everything is ok with them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Slim, that's pretty goddamn impressive.

Mr. Nice! posted:

My dad and step mom are both presumptive for rona. Step-mom is mostly ok just bad cough. Dad has bad fever and low oxygen. Was at 103 and 90% at the doctor yesterday. They're awaiting official results.

Here's hoping they shake it off. Sorry to hear, man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Slim, that's pretty goddamn impressive.

Agreed!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Here's hoping they shake it off. Sorry to hear, man.

:same:

It loving sucks and I hope he pulls through. I hate some of the bullshit rightwing poo poo my dad spouts, but I love my dad.

Syrian Lannister posted:

gently caress dude, sorry. Hope everything is ok with them.

I hope so also.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I was in a similar situation last week. Started with a sore throat that I chalked up to to the heater in the building being out of operation in the week before, resulting in an ambient temperature of like 18 degrees in my apartment. Then I developed a moderate fever over the weekend before I headed to my physician on Monday and got a Corona-swab as the symptoms kept getting worse. The doc said he had had a large influx of patients with flu-like symptoms over the previous three weeks that came back with negative Covid-results, indicating an early onset of the flu-season, and while this week sucked before the fever wore off (and my throat is still looking like I lost a swallowing-contest in a Thai dive-bar), I'm doing well now.

I'm crossing my fingers for your old folks being in the same situation, because that's what seems most probable.

I am loving jealous of your setup, and I wish I had the space to pursue my hobbies on the same scale. Hell, I'd be happy with just a regular-rear end yard where I can operate a smoker so I can fight Two-Fings for a chance back at the GiP meat-crown.
In the meantime, please humbly accept this crosspost of my last outdoor-chili harvest of the year.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Promised chili-post post-Covid-test (mine came back negative on the day that Trump's supposedly came back positive :) chili update:

Brought my chilis inside for three days since the temperature dropped below 6 degrees over night, and prepped them for a bit of a haircut, "Casting Couch" (as my colleagues have dubbed it) for comparison:

The "Pro"-mode on my phone yields some absolutely stupidly-detailed pictures, but I feel like there's some odd automatic-downgrading when transferring them from my phone via dropbox

My Peach Ghost Scorpion took a while to recover from whatever illness it had (and the inaccurate fertilizing I had been doing for about three months), so these are the first full-sized fruit outside of the 50-something berry-sized chilis.

I cannot put into words how emotionally rewarding a bountiful harvest like this is, and how very much it justifies the effort invested over the rest of the year

Here's 325 chilis that need to be ENT-STAMMT, and BAH GAWD, I ent-stammed them somethin-fierce.
(I may have had a bad-touch-moment during the whole stem-plucking after processing the reapers and chocolate habaneros, which I subconsciously categorized as the only threats, and then continued on extremely casually with the peach ghost scorpions, not consciously recalling that they pack more of a punch than the chocolate habaneros)

Also, I managed to break another record after reaping more than 1000 chilis last year. By SIX loving GRAMS, I managed to break into the illustrious "harvested more than A loving KILO of chilis in one Aufwasch"-crowd.

Yes, I count, weigh, and catalog my chilis after harvesting like a good German, what of it?
Frühstück mein gesamtes Arschloch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Could have sworn we put prohibitions on German chemical weapons production...