Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't always true, if you have a thick enough pad you can probably get away without the rebar. Really depends on the concrete pressure rating.

This is not how that works.

M_Gargantua posted:

You can demo saw a square out of the concrete and pour a deep footer just for the lift legs.

Not a terrible idea, but you are inviting differential pressures into your foundation and soils.

e: Think of it like bi-metallic corrosion.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe, but i've seen it done here for $$$$ 5-axis and $$$$$$ SEM machines.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Definitely said it wasn't a terrible idea. And I'm not trying to bore you with the details. There are dozens of variables that would dictate whether or not it is a good solution for the soil structure.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Don't sweat it, based on how things are going I'll end up buying land and just living in my truck, building a house as the local Lowes gets materials in stock one pallet at a time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You heard it here folks. Godholio is going to build a house out of pallets.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
They're the straightest boards the big-box stores have.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Casimir Radon posted:

You heard it here folks. Godholio is going to build a house out of pallets.

Still be safer and drier than groverhaus

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Probably better than my plan of weed stalks and lime.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The fourth pig knew what was up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Beans (my cat) went in for dental today, had 5 teeth pulled, he's about 4 years old. Stray cat genes and FIV in the bloodstream, he was cursed with bad teeth from birth.

Anyhow, he's fine, still doped up, almost fell off the kitchen table a little bit ago. Barely ran me $450. And dude's in a deep nap right now under the futon.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Beans (my cat) went in for dental today, had 5 teeth pulled, he's about 4 years old. Stray cat genes and FIV in the bloodstream, he was cursed with bad teeth from birth.

Anyhow, he's fine, still doped up, almost fell off the kitchen table a little bit ago. Barely ran me $450. And dude's in a deep nap right now under the futon.

We have a cat that has similar poo poo luck on the dental genetics. I call her "crazy tongue". Apparently part of a cat's brain is just wired to always assume they have the long canines on either side of their tongue and that their tongue has to go straight in and out. Her tongue now has the freedom to move in many more directions and it's like she just...forgets...that her tongue is now sticking out in these new directions. She'll walk around for 5 or 10 minutes with her tongue just poking out where her teeth used to be, totally unaware of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Shed pillars and subfloor have been built, shed is mounted, and ramp has been built. That's it for the contractor work, and I'm taking over to finish. There's a good bit of surface rust that I'm going to hit with a rust converter after cleaning it up, epoxy a hole or two, install some vinyl lattice as a skirting, and paint the outside and roof once the rust neutralizer has cured. Then I will have a secure moisture proof box for my tools and can finally empty my old house. Next step with contractor will be screening in front porch, but I have to figure out how I want it to look.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

bird food bathtub posted:

We have a cat that has similar poo poo luck on the dental genetics. I call her "crazy tongue". Apparently part of a cat's brain is just wired to always assume they have the long canines on either side of their tongue and that their tongue has to go straight in and out. Her tongue now has the freedom to move in many more directions and it's like she just...forgets...that her tongue is now sticking out in these new directions. She'll walk around for 5 or 10 minutes with her tongue just poking out where her teeth used to be, totally unaware of it.

Yeah, Beans had a canine pulled and now when he licks himself he wigs out a little and shakes his head.

He fell asleep earlier sitting up, and stayed that way for around 30 minutes. His appetite is no worse for wear either, destroyed a can and a half of wet, and a packet of Churu paste.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My wife does the dentals for all of our pets (one perk of the job) but she's told me how expensive some practices are for dentals. 450 is pretty reasonable based on some of the numbers I've heard her throw around.

Decided after talking with my wife while I was on my annual hiking/visiting friends and family trip to Scotland that I'm quitting my job early next year, new job lined up or not. Just so tired of all the stupid bullshit I've had to put up with over the last couple of years. We might have layoffs (voluntary even) happening so that's one of the main reasons I'm holding out till then. Have been studying non-stop for A+ and Net+ certs to change up my career, and I'm actually annoyed with myself I didn't do this sooner.

Anyways, really happy that I've made my decision and looking forward to escaping from that place. poo poo that would normally annoy me at work doesn't really phase me now because I'm a short timer whether they know it or not.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

gently caress me I got some anxiety. I got approached by a GS in the yards I use to eat lunch with before I mobilized. We started talking and he asked for my resume, gave it to him and now I got other contacts texting me that my name is coming up and being asked about.

Supposedly a low supervisor position on the waterfront. Trying not to get too excited.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Then who would take care of all those distraught printers?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

M_Gargantua posted:

Then who would take care of all those distraught printers?

Please… won’t someone think of the printers?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Crab Dad posted:

I do. I think about how they can all burn in hell and how Office Space should be an inspiration.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/6366ffefabee9-think-of-the-printers.php

Sarah's got you covered

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Congrats crab dad, hope you get that promotion.

I'm now sitting 8 feet from the only dumb 4k 55" I could find. It was under $300.

It's a Sceptre, so I expect it to poo poo itself at any time. But no roku, no google, no amazon, no apple, no wifi, no smart anything, just inputs (no rj45 jack either). I hope it lasts forever. Roughly 25% 1 star reviews on walmart, but I'll roll the dice of failure rate to not have to update firmware or give it access to internet.

Handsome Ralph posted:

My wife does the dentals for all of our pets (one perk of the job) but she's told me how expensive some practices are for dentals. 450 is pretty reasonable based on some of the numbers I've heard her throw around.

Decided after talking with my wife while I was on my annual hiking/visiting friends and family trip to Scotland that I'm quitting my job early next year, new job lined up or not. Just so tired of all the stupid bullshit I've had to put up with over the last couple of years. We might have layoffs (voluntary even) happening so that's one of the main reasons I'm holding out till then. Have been studying non-stop for A+ and Net+ certs to change up my career, and I'm actually annoyed with myself I didn't do this sooner.

Anyways, really happy that I've made my decision and looking forward to escaping from that place. poo poo that would normally annoy me at work doesn't really phase me now because I'm a short timer whether they know it or not.

My last vet quoted me something like $1200 for the same work Beans got done here. Beans just had a bunch of lab work done last month checking up on his FIV and getting vaccinated, so they let that slide. Even that visit was cheap, relatively, considering it was physical exams for both Frank and Beans, vaccinations, blood work for both, and a novox script for Frank under $300. They're well reviewed and widely recommended here.

Beans is recovering well. He was so sweet when he was still riding out the drugs. Probably put the dry food back out on tuesday.

Glad you've found something to shift to, don't feel bad about getting around to it late, just be glad you've gotten around to it. And that your wife is cool with it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Last week I had some guys from some ADT reseller who came by my house to try to sell me a security system. The whole time they kept saying stuff like we're not salespeople, covid made security services utilities like power and water companies, and they can give me a free estimate of what I need. They didn't have any literature to support anything they said, and just had ADT badges that you could scan and would show you their information on their website.

They showed up again yesterday when I wasn't home and left a flyer. When I reached out to the cell, the new guy again basically went off the script that they weren't salespeople and were "relocation managers" not trying to sell me anything. I realized why they were so adamant that they weren't sales people as any type of solicitation like that in FL requires you get a permit with the city and they do not have one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Denver does solicitor permits too. I wish all of Colorado did. loving nice.

May you never again see a Kirby salesperson.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Denver does solicitor permits too. I wish all of Colorado did. loving nice.

May you never again see a Kirby salesperson.

I filed a complaint with the AG's office and the state licensing affiliate citing the statute and everything they told me. I told the guy I spoke to individually that I don't fault him or his people for trying to make money, but that he also needs to talk with his management about a serious change in strategy because what they're doing right now is potentially exposing them to legal liability.

The people here are just college kids mostly hired by some ADT reseller out of Kansas City. I can only imagine the number of people they've duped with this.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Solicitor permits are a great thing, but they're not well known about in places that have laws around it. I think in Denver, it's just a fine, but the fine is like 5x the permit cost.

People taking soliciting jobs often aren't putting much effort into finding out if they need a permit or not, either. Assuming the company has it covered. The law should be changed so the company contracting solicitors shoulder the fine for not informing their solicitors of permit necessity.

But I only get the rare vacuum salesperson, and an abundance of Jesus poo poo, and yes I consider that soliciting. I want to live where you need a permit to proselytize.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEVUtrk8_B4

I anticipate that I will enjoy viewing this film in the theaters.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Holy poo poo.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Me two weeks ago: Yeah I can hack this poo poo out till January. And if no layoffs happen, I'll quit anyways!
Me last week: gently caress this. I'm putting in my notice right after Thanksgiving.

Boss had a meeting with me this week where she nitpicked the poo poo out of a project I had been working on for months. I had been asking her to either check in on it monthly or have someone else do it for her, as that's what I'm supposed to do for people under me (and what I had done on my previous team) so we could catch issues and correct them before they became bigger issues or nitpicks. No one bothered to do so.

So sure enough, when I said the project was ready for final peer review, she came back with a bunch of "I don't like this. And that's wrong! And why are you doing it like this?" Explained that when I was tasked under my retired colleague who checked things out for me on a monthly basis, he was fine with that style of editing and he never raised any of what she was pointing out as an issue, so I was just continuing to do what worked. Said I was happy to fix it to meet her standard but the nitpicking and "well you should know better." just continued unabated.

Then proceeded to chew me out for incorrectly telling people temporarily assigned under me to adjust a date formatting issue. Said I was unaware when I made the comment, but it wasn't a big deal, and that it had already been addressed. At worst, they would have just added data that was going to be added in automatically by a macro we run prior to publishing it, literally 20 minutes worth of work that is automated now. She then proceeds to name a specific co-worker who was mad at me about it (ok?), and said that coworker was mad because they talked to me about it in March. Said I didn't doubt the conversation happened, but I've basically had multiple responsibilities and roles shoveled onto my plate over the last year, and I can't recall every conversation I've ever had. I looked through my Teams history and sure enough, it was a one sentence "Hey don't worry about that, it will automatically get updated!" "Okay, good to know, thanks!" conversation. Like, that's my fault for not remembering, but the level of "How could you not remember this?!?" over what amounts to being such a small thing is just :psyduck:

I think the kicker was her saying that certain people under me weren't coming to me with questions anymore (and then she proceeded to name drop which lol, even I know not to do that) because "they can't trust your knowledge". I said I was shocked and honestly saddened to hear that as I've always tried to be open and pleasant with people when they had questions (which she agreed that has always been the case with me), and that if I didn't know the answer, I would be upfront about that but help them find what they were looking for. I then told her that we specifically had a group chat for this project with multiple people on my level or higher included on it to answer or review any questions as a group. And that I had encouraged people to put questions in there unless it was something that only applied to them and they didn't want others seeing. Asked her point blank "Are you and the other seniors telling them to bring those questions to the group chat that we're all in?" "Well no, but we probably should have done that. That's my fault." :rolleyes:

It does not help that my manager is a huge gossip queen, and one really negative managerial trait she has is she will openly talk about others performance with you. It was one of the first major red flags about this position, and I just regret not bailing sooner. My team is pretty much "Mean Girls: Office edition", and I've been the sole guy on it for almost a year now. I've never had to deal with anything like this on prior teams when I was the sole or only one of two guys. I chatted with my old boss about everything, and she confirmed I had every right to be frustrated with the stuff going on with this team. Bonus, she told me that my current boss had started gossiping about a personal matter of mine from years ago at a work happy hour that I wasn't in attendance for last month, and my old boss politely shut it down while also going :wtf:

I don't have another job lined up, which I feel bad about at times, but staying here while I look/take certs is no longer tenable for my mental health. The up side is that my wife has been the one telling me to quit even if I have nothing lined up for over a year now. We're fortunate in that we're pretty good with saving, and she makes a very solid income compared to me. Honestly, the main thing my current job provides us with is health and dental. My pay is an absolute drop in the bucket compared to what she brings in. So really the biggest adjustment will be paying for insurance through our state health exchange.

Just glad I have a rough idea of what I'm doing career wise going forward, just need to pass my certs. First test is next week.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I quit my last job cus after I came back from a 2.5 day weekend, for which I had to leave early for a memorial service honoring another dead soldier I liked.

They decided to poo poo can the big monitoring project that I had worked on for a year without any chance to save my work while I was out. Just locked out of the server, etc.

gently caress those people. They just like poo poo their dumbass way and they probably don't even get laid.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Nov 12, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jury summons for my date were cancelled. Better luck next year, county.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Who's ready to feel old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzXfXn4m24

I had no idea Anti-flag was still making new music.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 15, 2022

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Who's ready to feel old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNzXfXn4m24

I had no idea Anti-flag was still making new music.

Haha, I saw that as well. How does he still sound exactly the same?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's been a decade since I listened to them but yeah, spot on for himself 20 years ago. A little less screamy.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's been a decade since I listened to them but yeah, spot on for himself 20 years ago. A little less screamy.

MDC is still making music too, but have shifted to more folk punk.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My cousin loves MDC and lives around Austin, but goddamn has it been a while since I thought about them, too.

I periodically see what's going on in punk and Days N Daze is probably my favorite current band. loving washtub bass. Owns. Going to check out MDC again if they went that route.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Will changing the frequency on a signal generator affect the voltage* reading on an oscilloscope on some given series circuit? I am thinking no, bc I think the voltage is the amplitude of the wave displayed on the scope and that the frequency doesn't matter there.

edit: * voltage peak-to-peak, if it matters

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 16, 2022

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

Will changing the frequency on a signal generator affect the voltage* reading on an oscilloscope on some given series circuit? I am thinking no, bc I think the voltage is the amplitude of the wave displayed on the scope and that the frequency doesn't matter there.

edit: * voltage peak-to-peak, if it matters

If your signal generator is good enough yeah, your Vpk-pk should stay the same. Cheap siggens will struggle to maintain this perfectly and would probably see a change in Vpk-pk. Also consider your measurement apparatus probably has different impedance values at different frequencies which would affect you. In real life I would assume changing the frequency would change Vpk-pk by small but measurable values.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

If your signal generator is good enough yeah, your Vpk-pk should stay the same. Cheap siggens will struggle to maintain this perfectly and would probably see a change in Vpk-pk. Also consider your measurement apparatus probably has different impedance values at different frequencies which would affect you. In real life I would assume changing the frequency would change Vpk-pk by small but measurable values.

Thanks, that's helpful. Working on a lab for electronics at community college. Between Circuit 2 and Circuit 3 (both are simple voltage dividers) you bump the frequency up. There was a tiny difference, but I thought the Vpk-pk was pretty much the same. I just wanted to figure out what the instructor is fishing for. Knew there were some electronics heads in here

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 16, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Depending on the component values you could be seeing some filtering action. A simple two resistor divider shouldn't filter though, just present a linear voltage reduction.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Took the first half of the A+ Cert this morning, passed it :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Handsome Ralph posted:

Took the first half of the A+ Cert this morning, passed it :toot:

Fuckin awesome.