Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CommieGIR posted:

Join us in the madness that is infosec. Joiiiinnnn ussssss.

i got my a+ last year after doing enterprise IT for a Fortune 50 company for 11 years

figured it was time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i got my a+ last year after doing enterprise IT for a Fortune 50 company for 11 years

figured it was time

I feel the same way. I worked in IT for 15 years, got bored, went walkabout. Came home and got a BSIS and a decent job.

Sitting in meetings with these folks and understanding the number and level of certifications they have is quite disconcerting.

I am certainly doing the job they ask of me, but my only viable certification is from 2001 and nobody has even heard of it.

I am debating persuing certs or applying for a Masters opportunity.

:okboomer: Back when I knew stuff it was mainly CCNA to CCIE and MSCE. Things are pretty intimidating these days.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Booger Presley posted:

I feel the same way. I worked in IT for 15 years, got bored, went walkabout. Came home and got a BSIS and a decent job.

Sitting in meetings with these folks and understanding the number and level of certifications they have is quite disconcerting.

I am certainly doing the job they ask of me, but my only viable certification is from 2001 and nobody has even heard of it.

I am debating persuing certs or applying for a Masters opportunity.

:okboomer: Back when I knew stuff it was mainly CCNA to CCIE and MSCE. Things are pretty intimidating these days.

I have 2 undergrad and 2 masters, a CISSP, 4 SANS certs, and a few more vendor certs that I forget. I’m still dumb as gently caress and google basic aspects of my job, I just know how to filter the dumb poo poo and parse what the results are better then before. That’s the key, they’re just as dumb as everyone else, they just know the vocabulary better then most.

I also suffer from imposter syndrome and feel like everything I have attained so far is due to luck vs any skills I’ve learned. Take this next part as just one dummy’s viewpoint, and I am most likely wrong with any application to anyone’s particular set of circumstances.

My general advice is unless someone else is paying for it I’d be very wary of anything not cloud or ICS focused. The basic cloud certs from Amazon and Microsoft are free, and that should be enough to get your foot in the door. They’re relatively cheap to take and the CBTs are relatively easy to find ones that are in your price point. I don’t poo poo about the ICS side of things but some folk here do.

Masters degrees are double edged swords. They’re designed to impart new knowledge but they’re slower, more broad, and generally telling you things you already know in my experience. However they’re extremely valuable in that it impresses HR folk and management. They’re not my preferred way of learning, and I wish I hadn’t gotten an Information Systems degree to go with my Digital Forensics degree, but rather something in a non-tech field. I did both degrees while working full time and so was not as active in the two programs’ social scenes for students. Now? If I could I’d take the time off and be a student again, that would be great.

I just found out that the SANS InfoSec courses are like $9k a class, and at that price they’re not worth paying out of pocket. The current loophole is to go to SANS.edu and be a non degree seeking student and get the same course for like $6300 but I would expect that to be closed in a few months. The content is great, make someone else foot the bill.

Keep in mind I’ve been in the infosec space for 20 years and I don’t know if the rest of IT is as insane about certs as this niche is. I hope not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

I have 2 undergrad and 2 masters, a CISSP, 4 SANS certs, and a few more vendor certs that I forget. I’m still dumb as gently caress and google basic aspects of my job, I just know how to filter the dumb poo poo and parse what the results are better then before. That’s the key, they’re just as dumb as everyone else, they just know the vocabulary better then most.

I also suffer from imposter syndrome and feel like everything I have attained so far is due to luck vs any skills I’ve learned. Take this next part as just one dummy’s viewpoint, and I am most likely wrong with any application to anyone’s particular set of circumstances.

My general advice is unless someone else is paying for it I’d be very wary of anything not cloud or ICS focused. The basic cloud certs from Amazon and Microsoft are free, and that should be enough to get your foot in the door. They’re relatively cheap to take and the CBTs are relatively easy to find ones that are in your price point. I don’t poo poo about the ICS side of things but some folk here do.

Masters degrees are double edged swords. They’re designed to impart new knowledge but they’re slower, more broad, and generally telling you things you already know in my experience. However they’re extremely valuable in that it impresses HR folk and management. They’re not my preferred way of learning, and I wish I hadn’t gotten an Information Systems degree to go with my Digital Forensics degree, but rather something in a non-tech field. I did both degrees while working full time and so was not as active in the two programs’ social scenes for students. Now? If I could I’d take the time off and be a student again, that would be great.

I just found out that the SANS InfoSec courses are like $9k a class, and at that price they’re not worth paying out of pocket. The current loophole is to go to SANS.edu and be a non degree seeking student and get the same course for like $6300 but I would expect that to be closed in a few months. The content is great, make someone else foot the bill.

Keep in mind I’ve been in the infosec space for 20 years and I don’t know if the rest of IT is as insane about certs as this niche is. I hope not.

I've been doing Infosec and IT in general for 15 years, I still google everything and forget how to use Tar :(

Then systemd came and ruined all my linux skills.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I don't know what the crossover is for this thread and the TFR deals thread, but https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/ is having a pretty big sale if you want cheap blemished or refurbed power tools through the 29th. Also free shipping with the code on pretty much every page that loads.

I ordered a refurbished Ryobi 10" compound miter saw for $50.

They're getting slammed right now. Took 15 minutes to actually place my order.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Worth mentioning it's Ryobi/Rigid only. There are some deals, I just gotta find something corded I want.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As a tangential computer toucher it is always incredibly annoying that command lines don't all have a standardized long form syntax, with whatever stupid alias abbreviations and single letter arguments as hotkeys mapped on top of the long form.

sudo grep ls bs gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

As a tangential computer toucher it is always incredibly annoying that command lines don't all have a standardized long form syntax, with whatever stupid alias abbreviations and single letter arguments as hotkeys mapped on top of the long form.

sudo grep ls bs gently caress

As someone who learned on Mainframes, systemd coming in and going 'lets changes most of the things you know about *NIX systems, gently caress systemd.

I get WHY we needed it, but frankly I hate it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Godholio posted:

Worth mentioning it's Ryobi/Rigid only. There are some deals, I just gotta find something corded I want.

Yeah, that's mostly what they carry anyhow, but thank you, I forgot about that.

I just buy Ryobi crap because it works fine for what little I use my tools anymore. My circular saw and drill are about a dozen years old and still work fine, part of the one+ 18v system. The miter I ordered is 14 amp corded, though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'm all-in with dewalt's battery ecosystem, but there are plenty of corded things I'd like to get. Today it's a scroll saw and a 10" mitre both for 40% off...if the site can keep up. I see what you mean about getting slammed. I've never seen this site, so thanks for the tip.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
They occasionally have deals like this turn up in the TFR deals thread. They had a pretty big black friday sale that caught TFR's attention, and one prior to that in october when I was looking for an auger, but wound up buying a 2 stroke gas auger from harbor freight instead.

This is my first purchase from them, but they seem reliable enough for goons not to post a credit card warning about, like PSA.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I'm an idiot so I have both Ryobi and Bosch batteries. Actually it's not that bad because my yard tools all run on Ryobi and my drills, etc. all use Bosch. Still, kind of a pain in the rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm mostly just sticking to Ryobi out of familiarity. The miter I bought is AC, but all my battery tools are Ryobi 18v for simplicity.

The knockoff batteries on amazon I have are pretty good for the price, too. I just make sure to charge them when I'm home and can keep an eye on them. Last thing I need is a battery fire when I'm off loving around in town.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You can get some pretty wild deals on Ryobi batteries. I've amassed a nice pile of various types by looking out for stuff like "You can get a 4Ah battery itself for $100 or you can get this $80 leaf blower that comes with TWO 4Ah batteries"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's another reason why I like Ryobi.

But the last time a battery poo poo out on me, it was a Ryobi branded one and 4ah knockoffs were $30~ on amazon so I just got a couple of those. I can't always justify buying another tool because it comes with a battery. Especially yard tools, not a lot of grass or leaves up here in the valley, any land I buy will likely be alpine desert. Which means a reciprocating saw will get some use on sagebrush, but there's no need for a chainsaw or leaf blower.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm also all in on team yellow and haven't had a dud product from Dewalt yet.

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
I buy from them frequently, it can take a bit to get it shipped but otherwise no issue. There is a free shipping code right now as well, which is more rare IME. I believe if you get the blemished stuff vs the reconditioned it’ll have the standard ryobi or ridgid warranty.

I’ve bought a 7.25 and 10 inch miter saw, plunge router, hammer drill, and a Brad nailer from them with no issue. Ryobi is good enough for occasional jobs, especially if you already have the batteries.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think you're right on warranties and blems vs refurbs. I've read that before elsewhere.

$50 for a 14 amp 10" miter saw is just a screaming deal though.

I've been wanting to build my own couch for a few years, but didn't want to rely in a 5.5" circular saw to make square cuts, so I've been putting it off. I've been looking for a miter saw for a while, should be what I need to get a fire under my rear end to start building sectional components. Assuming I can find untreated lumber locally.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

M_Gargantua posted:

I'm also all in on team yellow and haven't had a dud product from Dewalt yet.

Yeah, I haven't had a single DeWalt tool treat me wrong

... until I go to my mom or dad's house where they suddenly need something fixed and I didn't bring my tools. So, they now both have $200 Ryobi megacombo kits for when I forget/don't bring my DeWalt stuff along. The DeWalt stuff clearly seems to be better and longer-lasting, but those Ryobi combination packages are perfect price/performance ratio for those situations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Knocked out the first episode of Andor and I'm on to the second one currently.

This is pretty goddamn good so far, drat.

/edit: spotted Lord Royce in the first episode, but I'm more excited about swinging-dick coal miner foreman from Chernobyl in the second episode so far

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 29, 2023

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Duzzy Funlop posted:

/edit: spotted Lord Royce in the first episode, but I'm more excited about swinging-dick coal miner foreman from Chernobyl in the second episode so far

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Didn’t pick up speed till third episode for me. That said it was loving excellent.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Two days later and I just finished the eighth episode. Jesus Christ, this show is ever so good

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
:bisonyes:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
edit: sorry, I didn't write anything bad. It's just that sometimes, after I post, I'm like, why am I posting about my life problems on here. So I take it down.

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 10, 2023

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
They released a previously unreleased Linkin Park song. Chester is back, in pog anime form. (Warning: Flashing Lights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NK_JOkuSVY

I think it's an older song, it sounds like it to me anyway. I dig it, but lord knows it would have hit younger me a lot harder had they released it around the same time as Meteora.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My local news is running a poll.

You know what you must do.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

McNally posted:

My local news is running a poll.

You know what you must do.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I pushed it to 18%!

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I feel like at this point I'm either listening to games on the radio or watching them on mute. I'm looking at DJ Khaled faking some DJ stuff while the Chiefs O is faking some fist pumping stuff and there is not story that I could witness that would be more hilarious than the image of some KC teen's birthday party

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed my Security+ exam :toot:

That feeling of "I'm bombing this!" was significantly worse than when I took my other exams. Though I passed well above the passing threshold, so at least I know it wasn't a fluke :haw:

Big thanks to the few of you who reached out with study tips and guides and stuff. I should probably work on getting a job now. Some law firm wants to interview me for an inhouse help desk position, but my IT friends are all telling me to run away screaming. Probably gonna use it as "interview" experience and just keep looking.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Congrats! If you get desperate you have have secret I know of a decent contracting company for NMCI starter IT jobs.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Congratulations!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Congrats!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Handsome Ralph posted:

That feeling of "I'm bombing this!" was significantly worse than when I took my other exams. Though I passed well above the passing threshold, so at least I know it wasn't a fluke :haw:

Big thanks to the few of you who reached out with study tips and guides and stuff. I should probably work on getting a job now. Some law firm wants to interview me for an inhouse help desk position, but my IT friends are all telling me to run away screaming. Probably gonna use it as "interview" experience and just keep looking.

Clearance + Sec+ = loving bank. Take a look at clearancejobs.com

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is there any process for renewing a lapsed security clearance? I had one back in 2008-2018 but it was only active until 2012 and I never did anything to renew it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
BZ

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Grip it and rip it posted:

Is there any process for renewing a lapsed security clearance? I had one back in 2008-2018 but it was only active until 2012 and I never did anything to renew it.

IME not by yourself, you have to have a org sponsor you.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Congrats!

Welcome to the fold! Law office gigs are ok, but the lawyers tend to be demanding babies who don't want to pay. Decent enough way to get your feet wet while you get a better foothold in IT / IS

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I probably missed this buried back somewhere, but what's the easiest way to get on the nerd cert treadmill? A+, Sec+, etc. I know beyond a certain point poo poo like Net+ and even CCNA are more specialized to what you want to do with it, but even like a "Start with this book/course/YouTube video/etc" kind of thing.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

I probably missed this buried back somewhere, but what's the easiest way to get on the nerd cert treadmill? A+, Sec+, etc. I know beyond a certain point poo poo like Net+ and even CCNA are more specialized to what you want to do with it, but even like a "Start with this book/course/YouTube video/etc" kind of thing.

Technically net+ is considered midway between A and Sec. my job didn’t need it so I didn’t bother but I’m working on getting it for knowledge alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

The path most people seem to take/recommend is A+ to Net+ to Sec+. Then it opens up pretty wide from there. The one thing that is nice going that route is that if you follow it sequentially, each successive cert builds on the previous one. So Sec+ was pretty easy to study for since roughly 40% of it felt like it was just stuff I learned for Net+. Except the exam was much harder than I anticipated and I doubted everyone and everything while taking it.

As far as study materials, a lot of people like https://www.professormesser.com/, but I mostly used Mike Meyer's/Total Seminars stuff on Udemy. Messer's videos are free but they can be quite dry, though his paid notes and exams are pretty solid. There's also an app called IT & Cybersecurity Pocket Prep that Nostalgia4Butts recommended to me and that also helped me a ton.

If you have experience building your own PC or just doing basic tech stuff, A+ isn't that hard, it's just a time and money investment. Def. had some stuff I was unaware of prior to taking it but most of it was just adding official terms and acronyms for stuff I already knew. Honestly, the hardest part with all of it is just setting aside time to study/review material. Took me roughly three months to knock out all three, but I've been unemployed since December so ymmv.