Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

US Berder Patrol posted:

Nah, we don't actually pay for the hotels. We call some booking agency, tell them what town we're staying in, and they book and pay for our reservation by fax, and we just go check in. I never even get my card out at the desk. To clarify my original question, does anyone know which hotels will let me bank points with the third party reservations?

Sign up for all the big ones, that way you can try to get points most of your stays.

Check the IHG and Hilton websites regularly, as they will have bonus points deals you will have to opt in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

US Berder Patrol posted:

Nah, we don't actually pay for the hotels. We call some booking agency, tell them what town we're staying in, and they book and pay for our reservation by fax, and we just go check in. I never even get my card out at the desk. To clarify my original question, does anyone know which hotels will let me bank points with the third party reservations?

I have points accounts with Hilton Honors, which covers all the Hilton chains, and with Marriott. A third party does the reservations, my employer pays for the room, and I keep the points.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Some actual interesting ideas in here. Nice find.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Not going to lie, very jealous at how creative this guy is

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Starting to second guess the whole MBA route I was initially interested in. I definitely don't want to go the stereotypical army officer>MBA>consultant route. My friends that got out and are now consultants all spend a ton of time away from home due to work which might be nice if you live some place lovely but I like WA.

I want to make sure I put my 100% GI Bill to good use and not waste it, definitely something science or tech related though I'm not ruling out the MBA completely.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nick Soapdish posted:

Not going to lie, very jealous at how creative this guy is

After getting my hands dirty just breaking some broken things, you start coming up with ideas like that pretty quick.

There's also usually a $3 chip available when you need to drive a device independently: amps, preamps, Bluetooth receivers, etc.

Really fun spending most of my childhood breaking down computers, cameras and electronics and making a new toy out of them; it looked messy and destructive but it really fostered a mentality that with enough research and patience, you can fix and repurpose anything.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

Starting to second guess the whole MBA route I was initially interested in. I definitely don't want to go the stereotypical army officer>MBA>consultant route. My friends that got out and are now consultants all spend a ton of time away from home due to work which might be nice if you live some place lovely but I like WA.

I want to make sure I put my 100% GI Bill to good use and not waste it, definitely something science or tech related though I'm not ruling out the MBA completely.

What's your bachelor's?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

International Relations, something I've never used and never will. Literally all it did is get me a commission.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

International Relations, something I've never used and never will. Literally all it did is get me a commission.

That was me and my English degree. I went back and got an MS in geology, but before I did I went to community college and took Calc III, Linear Algebra, and general geology 1 and 2 to show the graduate admissions folks that I was capable of getting a real degree.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mustang posted:

Go to law school!

[DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL]

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The only school I'm least likely to go to than law school is medical school.

I've mostly been looking into the various engineering fields.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
If you're in PACNORWEST study software engineering/development.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Or study biomed and move down my way

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

joat mon posted:

Go to law school!

[DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL]

He'd either go bankrupt or be tried as a war criminal.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

So a while back, along while ago actually (back in December) I ended up having a slew of cardiac issues where I was having significant palpitations, and near syncopal events while feeling completely exhausted no matter how much sleep I got. I assumed it was just me picking up extra shifts at work, putting in 4-6 twelve hour shifts a week for months straight leading up to this, and continuing to work as much as I did even while exhausted. As time went on, the palpitations got worse, I felt even more lovely, and had constant chest pain along with events where my heart rate would start at 65-70 and spike up to 150 for no reason, left arm would go numb and I'd be on the verge of passing out. I ended up in the E.R once which bought me a cardiology visit, an ECHO and a slew of tests to look for adrenal cancer. I was sleeping during my 30 minute break, would wake up feeling just as exhausted, and would go straight home, pass out at 7 P.M, wake up at 4 A.M and repeat the cycle. This went on for months.

turns out... I ended up having Mononucleosis, which subsequently infected the heart muscle and had Myocarditis.

Since that point I have been nearly completely sedentary, and lost all my sweet gainz that I had going in to Officer Candidate School for the marines back in August. I hadn't been able to run more than a few miles without getting palpitations or feeling like poo poo for 24-48 hours.

It's been 6 months since I started exercising nearly at the same capacity I used to, biking 60+ miles a week and steadily pushing my rides harder and harder. I'm now able to bike up hills and turn a pedal in anger and just wipe myself out, and still feel good albeit exhausted.

Recent bike ride up to Paulina Peak south of Bend, with a 6 mile climb and around 1500 feet of elevation gain, topping out close to 8,000 feet.

Feels good to be back

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress...nice job! And pictures.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

It sounds like there’s air in the pipes when I flush my toilet sometimes. How concerned should I be with the pipes exploding? It’s happened twice in the last week and it’s a pretty violent sound.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Woofer posted:

It sounds like there’s air in the pipes when I flush my toilet sometimes. How concerned should I be with the pipes exploding? It’s happened twice in the last week and it’s a pretty violent sound.

is the sound coming when your tank is refilling? It could be possible that your fill valve is partially closed causing weird sounds.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Woofer posted:

Check these procedures: https://www.fluidmaster.com/toilet-problems/toilet-is-too-loud/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Congrats man. I had mono in 2016 and it completely wiped me out for two solid months. I was hospitalized for a week due to my throat closing up and the number the virus did on my organs, although I got lucky and avoided heart problems. Every so often it recurs and I feel totally exhausted for up to a week at work.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Apropos of nothing, but Oklahoma and Texas are proof that God is real, and that he hates us.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

if you don't mind a floral design, here's a 6 QT instant pot for $50

https://slickdeals.net/f/14154911-i...g?src=frontpage

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://youtu.be/9r_EWx06Wdg

Chef John could do a video on how to cook cow poo poo and I would happily eat it.

Gonna try this with sea scallops tomorrow.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

quote:

Amazon has Mad Max: High Octane Collection (8-Disc Blu-Ray) on sale for $25. Shipping is free. Thanks giantbruin

Includes
Mad Max (1979) (Blu-Ray)
The Road Warrior (1981) (Blu-Ray)
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (1985) (Blu-Ray)
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) (Blu-Ray)
Mad Max: Fury Road (4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray)
Mad Max: Fury Road (Ultraviolet Digital HD Copy)
Mad Max: Fury Road: Black & Chrome Edition (Blu-Ray)
The Madness of Max on DVD
Road Warrior Documentary

Out of stock but you can still order

Mad Max High Octane Collection [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LTHM35M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YBr-EbGPE9NNQ

Also: includes black and chrome edition!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Fallom posted:

Congrats man. I had mono in 2016 and it completely wiped me out for two solid months. I was hospitalized for a week due to my throat closing up and the number the virus did on my organs, although I got lucky and avoided heart problems. Every so often it recurs and I feel totally exhausted for up to a week at work.

Thanks. Mono sucks, and the "flare ups" so to speak are atrocious. I go 4-7 weeks without any issues and then I'll have a day of chest pain, palpitations and feel like complete garbage, followed by feeling just fine for weeks on weeks.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Mono got me out of EIB in Korea.

I am indebted to mono.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but does anyone have any good resources/advice on helping a 2 year old deal with a deployed parent?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

PeterCat posted:

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but does anyone have any good resources/advice on helping a 2 year old deal with a deployed parent?

Real Talk: Sesame Street / The Learning Workshop have been providing resources for military kids since at least the 80’s. I’d start my search with them, they know their audience.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Real Talk: Sesame Street / The Learning Workshop have been providing resources for military kids since at least the 80’s. I’d start my search with them, they know their audience.

Thanks, I will check them out!

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My dudes, im thinking about renting a teardrop trailer and potentially camping as far east as eastern Oregon/Washintong maybe Idaho or Montana. I would appriciate suggestions.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Arches National Park

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamn I want to go to Arches. I'm probably going to Dinosaur again soon, maybe Great Sand Dunes. See how next month pans out before I go anywhere though. Need to get my broken veteran parks passes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hekk posted:

Arches National Park

Dude if my wife touches Utah she may become a mormon once again and she is divorcing me once she notices i am not white :( :( :(

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

ElMaligno posted:

My dudes, im thinking about renting a teardrop trailer and potentially camping as far east as eastern Oregon/Washintong maybe Idaho or Montana. I would appriciate suggestions.

North Cascades and Crater Lake would be my suggestions.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamn I want to go to Arches. I'm probably going to Dinosaur again soon, maybe Great Sand Dunes. See how next month pans out before I go anywhere though. Need to get my broken veteran parks passes.

GSDNPP is pretty cool, and Lu's in Blanca right along the way is the best diner in the state. If you're in that area, I really love the Spanish Peaks zone, too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The Rat posted:

North Cascades and Crater Lake would be my suggestions.

I been to Crater Lake, North Cascades sounds good.

The wife also suggested Yellowstone

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yellowstone is nice but SUPER CROWDED.

North Cascades is a hidden gem, super jagged glaciated mountains, but without the crowding of Glacier national park. You just gotta work your rear end on some of the hikes there, holy cow.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

As good a time as any to post this then

https://i.imgur.com/YjKi5Ua.mp4

Did this quote originate here? I'm sure I read it here first, not that that means much.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

audiophile hobbyist types continue to be the coolest loving people I’ve met

couple stepping stones to get here, but picked up a custom Technics SL-1200M3D

won’t be my last turntable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Sure as gently caress might as well be :staredog: