Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm on the season six finale of The Expanse, and i just had a hearty chuckle at the nod the show gave to Aliens with the names of Hicks, Hudson et al in the strike team.

Then a "Ripley" checks in on comms and I'm like "Oh poo poo, they're not even being subtle about it", so i pause when I see the whole strike team roster come up on a screen to try to look up the rest of the names, and just as I'm thinking "yo they did my man Apone dirty", i see a "Rico, J", "Idaho, D", "Quaid, D", and start giggling.

Then i see Will loving Riker, and what i assume to be a nod to Admiral Ackbarre in there and just burst out laughing and clapping.

10/10, solid albeit ham-fisted hommage, would chuckle again :lol:

I'm guessing all the other names are also from other movies, but those six movies is all i can come up with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If anything, I've probably had an asymptomatic case.

I've only had the J&J stab. Lol.

I wonder how much my weed habit has played into my dodging covid. It's probably that I'm mostly a shut in, but I choose to believe.

I had the J&J Stab and two boosters now. Frankly this feels like a mild cold, not even the worst cold I've had. We're probably keeping my kid home from school for a couple days to play it safe.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's smart, don't let them spread that poo poo around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

That's smart, don't let them spread that poo poo around.

Yeah gonna get tested myself tomorrow so if the school gives us crap I can just go "I'm positive, so we're not risking other's kids over this"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Times sure have changed since they days of, "Your kid has chickenpox? Want to take my kids for a sleepover?"

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Burt posted:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it you think you haven't had covid then you haven't because I have yet to meet anyone who got it and them say "I never knew I had it" as it seriously drops you on your arse.

Also get well soon goon friends.

Had it twice, only reason I knew is because my fiancee got loving flattened and we tested her. Week or so of vague headache, and something like altitude sickness.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got covid almost a year ago but it was the barely registering to me as anything but a common cold and not even a severe one.
Have had 4 rounds of shots now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Burt posted:

I am going to go out on a limb here and say it you think you haven't had covid then you haven't because I have yet to meet anyone who got it and them say "I never knew I had it" as it seriously drops you on your arse.

Also get well soon goon friends.

We haven't technically met, but hi.

I only tested because a coworker identified me as a close contact after he was exposed but before he became symptomatic. I had zero symptoms whatsoever. Not a sniffle, not an ache (beyond the usual), not a cough.

I've also had no reaction to any of the vaccines beyond injection site soreness like I get from most shots.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yo, what was that comically large new SUV that went viral because of a frontal blind spot so large you could hide like 9 kids or a full sized sedan in it?

I recall seeing a POV clip of a guy at a red light where you thought the first car behind the hood is the vehicle immediately in front of the SUV, and once the light goes green, a whole rear end additional car drives out of the blind spot

What was that brand/model again? Cannot find the loving video to save my life, and I've already wasted like half an hour

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
GM side maybe the Suburban, or Escalade.

https://carbuzz.com/news/carmakers-told-to-fix-big-suvs-front-blind-spot-after-shocking-experiment

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

E: no, caddy.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 9, 2023

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I thought for sure it had to have been that Hummer EV

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Jeep Grand Wagoneer.

E: no, caddy.

Lol what the hell? I need to start paying attention.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There was a different video but I can’t find it at the moment. Ford has a front facing camera to check your blind spot. Guy in the drivers seat has camera looking at his perspective and everything looks clear but then pans to his front camera and there’s a corvette there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

solved problem

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

There was a different video but I can’t find it at the moment. Ford has a front facing camera to check your blind spot. Guy in the drivers seat has camera looking at his perspective and everything looks clear but then pans to his front camera and there’s a corvette there.

Think I found it: https://youtu.be/dQoQoo78jDM

There were a TON of kid line-up-in-front-of-SUV videos and I'm just wondering how much wrangling of the kids were involved in all of those!

Maybe a Tesla has computer-controlled blind spots :v:

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 9, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

facialimpediment posted:

Think I found it: https://youtu.be/dQoQoo78jDM

There were a TON of kid line-up-in-front-of-SUV videos and I'm just wondering how much wrangling of the kids were involved in all of those!

Maybe a Tesla has computer-controlled blind spots :v:

Nah that's a proper truck. I found the one I was looking for but don't know how to inline a video from reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/sxrbnc/corvette_completely_hidden_by_truck_height/

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah that's a proper truck. I found the one I was looking for but don't know how to inline a video from reddit.

goddamn, you'd think the high ride-height would eliminate some of that dead zone, but gently caress

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Even with bad sightlines that specific problem is avoided by following the rule to stop while you can still see the rear tires of the car in front of you touching the pavement

I guess the problem is that a lot of traffic will try to fill in to the quarter mile of space you leave

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

facialimpediment posted:

goddamn, you'd think the high ride-height would eliminate some of that dead zone, but gently caress

The whole rear end hood is basically horizontal up to the very front corner. There's no slope like older trucks had, and the new trucks sit SO high. I've got a 1995 K2500 and a modern Ranger sits as high as I do, and probably sees less in front of him.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

New trucks usually come with a rake from factory but it’s the first thing to go when Cletus gets a hold of one

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I think I've told this story here before but when I was growing up in the 80s my dad had an old MGB as a project car that he would tinker with occasionally when his depression wasn't too bad. He did manage to get it running at one point, and the next thing it needed was outside his shade-tree skill level or needed tools he didn't have or something like that, so he needed to take it in to a specialty garage to have it worked on.

He had Mom drive ahead of him in the typical mid-80s station wagon that all suburban families seemed to have at that time, and he followed in the MG so that he could get home. When they were headed back she told him that it was funny, she thought she'd lost him a couple times because when she looked in the rearview mirror she couldn't see the convertible when they were stopped at red lights and he was closer to the rear bumper. She joked that he should put a flag on it for visibility.

At that point Dad took a good hard look at bumper heights, road safety requirements, how badly the MG would get obliterated in an accident, and me being not that far away from driving age. He ended up selling the thing to another enthusiast for a parts car. It took me a long time to get over being mad about it because I liked working on it with him and was really looking forward to being able to drive it, but it was absolutely the right decision because it wasn't long after that trucks started expanding in size, minivans and SUVs and other higher riding vehicle classes became more popular, and it would have made the danger even worse.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 10, 2023

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
This did not end as expected.

I imagined you tooling around in the MG with a 10 foot whip in lovely orange plastic.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

New job update: in addition to my own cubicle section for my team, company provided phone and laptop, and 10% over my asking salary, apparently I'm getting a brand spanking new truck of my own to tool around the site in, and the approved $1000 in training books for my team on day 1.

No, Army Brain, this isn't a trick, and my therapist says you can gently caress right off.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The new truck keeps them from paying you mileage for driving your own car, but the 10% above asking should cover the loss of per diem.

Congrats.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Suntan Boy posted:

New job update: in addition to my own cubicle section for my team, company provided phone and laptop, and 10% over my asking salary, apparently I'm getting a brand spanking new truck of my own to tool around the site in, and the approved $1000 in training books for my team on day 1.

No, Army Brain, this isn't a trick, and my therapist says you can gently caress right off.

This is really good. Congratulations!

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckcars/comments/sxrbnc/corvette_completely_hidden_by_truck_height/

That's the one I was looking for, cheers

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Watched this today. It was pretty good. Didn't spend as much time focusing on Korea as I thought it would, but it was still really solid. Worth a watch.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
I am paying for my girlfriend's tuition. I just graduated one year ago and the benefits were significant to me.

I hope to enrich her life similarly to my experience.

She's a bit of an rear end in a top hat, so these are difficult times. Hopefully, she will become a well educated, difficult rear end in a top hat.

Let the semester begin!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Passed my Network+ Exam this morning! :toot:

Total shitshow though, forgot my wallet and didn't realize till after I got to the testing center. Made it home and back with 4 minutes to spare. Oh and the center's internet dropped out like three times, causing my exam to crash. So that was fun. Had that usual feeling of "I'm bombing this!" throughout, so the internet going down really exacerbated that feeling. But I passed, so gently caress yeah! Onwards to Sec+ now.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Total shitshow though, forgot my wallet and didn't realize till after I got to the testing center. Made it home and back with 4 minutes to spare. Oh and the center's internet dropped out like three times, causing my exam to crash. So that was fun. Had that usual feeling of "I'm bombing this!" throughout, so the internet going down really exacerbated that feeling. But I passed, so gently caress yeah! Onwards to Sec+ now.

Great news! I’m glad you passed!

Good luck on Sec+ and your journey in computer touching.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

Great news! I’m glad you passed!

Good luck on Sec+ and your journey in computer touching.

Yup, well done, and welcome to the nerd herd :)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
May your certifications be plentiful and your paychecks be fat.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Handsome Ralph posted:

Nice, congrats! I've been working on Sec+ most of the year, myself. I have some practice tests -- PM sent.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

bird food bathtub posted:

May your certifications be plentiful and your paychecks be fat.

This. Always remember that your paychecks are fat because your knowledge. Certs are the easiest way to prove knowledge. Nothing will take that from you, demand better from your employer and walk for anyone willing to pay you more or make your job suck less. Be empowered.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Reminder if you are looking for work in Kitsap County, WA as a babies first IT gig NMCI is hiring. Just need your sec+ and secret. It’s not on my team. We lost 2 Field Service tech to better paying positions which is totally expected after a year or two.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph posted:

what was your study plan? im workin on it now

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

what was your study plan? im workin on it now

Basically spent the last 2.5 weeks watching Mike Meyers/Total Seminars Net+ Course on Udemy, and supplemented that with Prof. Messer's videos on stuff I was struggling with. Also used the Net+ eBook to read on some stuff. Also used that app you mentioned earlier to quiz myself whenever I had down time. I had done a Cisco CCNA course 20 years ago(:corsair:) in high school, and do a ton of hobbyist poo poo with my home network, so I had a solid base of knowledge going into it.

Then spent all of this week doing practice tests from Dion and Total Seminars. Looked at where I wasn't doing so hot, reviewed my notes and looked at the book/videos some more, and then took the test.

Honestly the hardest part for me was acronyms and brute memorization, or at least acronyms for CLI commands and stuff. Subnetting, at least the amount you're expected to do for this cert, was stupidly easy. The only thing that threw me off with subnetting was when my exam asked me to subnet down from /24, not up as I expected, and it threw me for a loop. Otherwise, it was easy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Join us in the madness that is infosec. Joiiiinnnn ussssss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5rtV8nDScc