Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My initial thought upon leaving DUNC2 tonight was that Dennis Villeneuve would probably do good adapting the Broken Earth trilogy, and I don’t know what that says about me or about the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

M_Gargantua posted:

My initial thought upon leaving DUNC2 tonight was that Dennis Villeneuve would probably do good adapting the Broken Earth trilogy, and I don’t know what that says about me or about the movie

After going through the plot summaries of the other dune books, I would rather pretend everything stopped after Dune.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Pine Cone Jones posted:

After going through the plot summaries of the other dune books, I would rather pretend everything stopped after Dune.

Not a bad take really. Can maybe extend it out another book or two while accepting a certain level of weird but books four and beyond are just cuckoo bananas bizarro literature.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here’s some dad chat. My mom never knew who her father was. Thanks to 23andme and dumb luck, we’ve found him. My grandpa is jewish. Never would have thought.

Post/Av combo.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

bird food bathtub posted:

Not a bad take really. Can maybe extend it out another book or two while accepting a certain level of weird but books four and beyond are just cuckoo bananas bizarro literature.

I could agree with the second book, but after that, I dunno

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah just rewrite the bit to give closure and just let it end cleanly. There are so many good stopping points that you could pivot to.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Opinions vary on just where the Dune books stop being worth reading, but I've never heard anyone say "just push through the bad one(s) and it gets good again."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Opinions vary on just where the Dune books stop being worth reading, but I've never heard anyone say "just push through the bad one(s) and it gets good again."

It wasn't exactly high-brow, but I liked the stuff his son (?) did about the Butlerian Jihad. Don't think it counts for this though cause it was like 40 years later and, yeah, for ol' Herbert senior it started high, went off a cliff and crashed to the ground as time went on.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I think we could squeeze Leto II's worm shenanigans into two decent and weird movies. There's a ton of fluff to get rid of, but a Miles Teg flick would be cool.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Godholio posted:

I think we could squeeze Leto II's worm shenanigans into two decent and weird movies. There's a ton of fluff to get rid of, but a Miles Teg flick would be cool.

i would watch a Leto II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8ftavdKq_s

they are definitely not making a Leto II

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'd like to give a big thanks to forums poster tiny for sending me a lockpicking kit a couple years ago. I got my dad's old truck and he forgot to give me the key to the hitch lock. Popped that bad boy in like 10 seconds.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

You know how sometimes, as you're sitting there, watching a movie and drinking your drink, you start reflecting on the opportunities that passed you by? Feel that twang of sorrow at the knowledge that they'll never come again?

Yeah, I'll never not be butthurt that I didn't bid on any of the Fury Road cars.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'd like to give a big thanks to forums poster tiny for sending me a lockpicking kit a couple years ago. I got my dad's old truck and he forgot to give me the key to the hitch lock. Popped that bad boy in like 10 seconds.

I can't remember why I did it, I think my roommate and I got them on a lark from Amazon early on in deployment. Oddly satisfying and occasionally useful!

My crowning achievment was popping the lock in my Mazda B2200 with a coat hanger I happened to have sitting in the bed? I didn't put the coat hanger there. But there it was. There was a guy sitting in the loading dock next door that offered me 20 bucks if I could pull it off again.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I have a Sparrows kit that I need to start goofing around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I can't remember why I did it, I think my roommate and I got them on a lark from Amazon early on in deployment. Oddly satisfying and occasionally useful!

My crowning achievment was popping the lock in my Mazda B2200 with a coat hanger I happened to have sitting in the bed? I didn't put the coat hanger there. But there it was. There was a guy sitting in the loading dock next door that offered me 20 bucks if I could pull it off again.

Lockpicking was a hobby I cultivated during the pandemic. If you really get bit by the bug, you'll start watching Deviant Ollam videos about physical security/penetration testing and then you're down a very deep and fun rabbit hole.

Syrian Lannister posted:

I have a Sparrows kit that I need to start goofing around with.

MasterLock Model 1 and 3 are very easy to learn on, same with their 140 and 141. You can learn how to single pin pick (what everyone thinks of when they hear "lockpicking") and learn how to rake and do bypasses as well. Sparrows, ITS Tactical and tons of other vendors also sell repinnable practice locks that you can learn on as well.