Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Why anyone stays in florida, except the olds, is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It's a very good place to live if you work at a hospital. You know, because of the olds.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Looking for a critique on these, and what I can do to improve.

Camera is a Canon 450D, lens used is either a Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 or EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 with Av selected.

I am shooting off a mono-pod, and only corrections were cropping and or straightening.

https://imgur.com/a/qVVy6ra

Soulex really knocked it out of the park with that mini master course. Do everything Soulex said.
All I might be able to add is,
Use AI Servo for AF (back button focus may affect this, I should switch and learn)
Don't shoot with your aperture all the way wide open or all the way stopped down, most lenses will give up some sharpness at the extremes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

In order to move I need to get licensed in another state. The only way that’s going to happen is if I find a job that’s willing to pay for it, move me out there, and let me work on stuff I can touch until I get licensed. I don’t think this potential job exists anywhere for me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I just flicked chipotle Tabasco sauce in my eye trying to get the last drop out of the bottle.

Owe but not CS owe. Sigh.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

I just flicked chipotle Tabasco sauce in my eye trying to get the last drop out of the bottle.

How red is your eye

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Watching Glass and man, I really wanted this movie to be so much more :negative:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oof I just got the repair quote back from Olympus for my wide angle lens that was making a rattling sound and having weird issues with the zoom ring. $423. Apparently a small screw came completely loose inside the lens and that's what was making the sound.

Beats buying a new lens though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

LingcodKilla posted:

To whom do you owe what?

Aside from CS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J posted:

To whom do you owe what?

Aside from CS.

Har-har.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Rat posted:

Oof I just got the repair quote back from Olympus for my wide angle lens that was making a rattling sound and having weird issues with the zoom ring. $423. Apparently a small screw came completely loose inside the lens and that's what was making the sound.

Just priced a new one of those and yikes

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Rat posted:

Will the repair price go up if you try to DIY and fail? (Assuming you don't gouge a lens element or something)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm sure repairing a lens in the living room is just as good as the clean rooms at Olympus.

You should probably smoke a cigarette while cleaning it on a tv dinner tray table.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Yeah it's not at all something I'd be comfortable with doing on my own. Doing Dremel hack jobs on gun parts is one thing, but this is on a whole other level.

I got the lens used for $850 about a year and a half ago originally, so at this point the repair cost puts my total at the new price of the lens. On the plus side, that cost is spread out rather than all at once.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
troubleshooting your parent's netflix troubles over the phone is the 21st century version of setting the time on the vcr

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vasudus posted:

troubleshooting your parent's netflix troubles over the phone is the 21st century version of setting the time on the vcr
"I don't know, Google it, that's what I'd do in your place"
Tends to make people mad that you're not being helpful.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
"it says sign up on the screen"
"does it also say sign in"
"...yes"
"click it"
"it's asking for a password"
"enter [mom's password]"
<2 minutes of her dicking around on the on-screen keyboard>
"oh it works, how did you know how to fix it?"

BECAUSE I'M A loving WIZARD

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

"...yes"
"click it"
"enter [mom's password]"

I feel connected with you on a very deep level right now

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Parents and technology is why I love apple. I got my parents almost completely into apple (moms next laptop will be apple) because when there’s problems with her phone i direct her to the Apple store. Now she doesn’t even ask me, if she has issues she just goes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Apple is expensive garbage snake oil but if it gets your folks off your back to fix their busted computer that they click all the banner ads on, it's worth it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

Battery cases are the 21st century version of phones on belt clips. Very dad.

*shrug*

The Apple battery case owns for travel. My XS Max while turned into somewhat of a brick by it can last like 2 days that way.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Golden hour applies to spiders as well:

Boop!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

orange juche posted:

Apple is expensive garbage snake oil but if it gets your folks off your back to fix their busted computer that they click all the banner ads on, it's worth it.

I listened to people saying this and bought one of the nicest, most well-reviewed Windows laptops on the market at the time (XPS 15) and it was a piece of garbage compared to my old MacBook Pro. I’d rather run Windows full time on a MacBook than buy one of those turds again.

Coil whine, Killer Wi-Fi adapters, bluescreening integrated graphics drivers, and lovely trackpads shouldn’t be a thing anymore. The 4K screen looked nice but had horrific ghosting.

Long story short, 16:10 or bust.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 17, 2019

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Vasudus posted:

"...yes"
"click it"
"enter [mom's password]"

:negative:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

orange juche posted:

gently caress you my mac mini owns

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Fallom posted:

I listened to people saying this and bought one of the nicest, most well-reviewed Windows laptops on the market at the time (XPS 15) and it was a piece of garbage compared to my old MacBook Pro. I’d rather run Windows full time on a MacBook than buy one of those turds again.

Coil whine, Killer Wi-Fi adapters, bluescreening integrated graphics drivers, and lovely trackpads shouldn’t be a thing anymore. The 4K screen looked nice but had horrific ghosting.

Long story short, 16:10 or bust.

I have a super fancy expensive xps13 and it's the nicest laptop I've ever owned MacBook included.

4k screen, 32 gigs ram, 1tb ssd, aluminum body. Greatest electronic I've ever owned.

Also a comparable Mac would have been like 3200 instead of the 2k I spent on this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I still preffer my Dell Precision M7510 or my GPD Pocket 2

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Casimir Radon posted:

"I don't know, Google it, that's what I'd do in your place"
Tends to make people mad that you're not being helpful.

"Let me google this, ok here's what I'm typing....ok looks like a few people have had this problem and what worked for this guy is ABC so try that, and if it doesn't work try XYZ. One of those should take care of it."

After a couple years of that, my mom solves most of her own problems and the average age of electronics in her house is probably close to a decade newer than mine...and she's picking out good poo poo and paying good prices.

It's all in how you present the information, know your audience, etc.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

Dude, you got a dell.

I don't buy poo poo when it's new. Bought an acer this last time, $350~, rock solid.

Apple products are like the Jitterbugs of computers for the olds.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I have a super fancy expensive xps13 and it's the nicest laptop I've ever owned MacBook included.

4k screen, 32 gigs ram, 1tb ssd, aluminum body. Greatest electronic I've ever owned.

Also a comparable Mac would have been like 3200 instead of the 2k I spent on this.

Mine had an Nvidia GTX 1050 that wasn't worth the heat it put out before throttling. The Apple surcharge on memory and hard drive space is definitely ridiculous.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Should I make a LinkedIn account question mark explanation point

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woof Blitzer posted:

Should I make a LinkedIn account question mark explanation point

It's like Facebook but 1,000x spammier with rent-seeking bullshit and literal Chinese spies attempting to befriend you

Make an account and update it every 6 months then ignore it until needed imo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Pretty much. It depends on your industry and how important using LinkedIn is.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fallom posted:

It's like Facebook but 1,000x spammier with rent-seeking bullshit and literal Chinese spies attempting to befriend you

Make an account and update it every 6 months then ignore it until needed imo

Don't forget the sub-sub-contracted technology recruiters who insist you're perfect for a NOC Director position at a nuclear power plant in Terra Haute because you can use Microsoft Excel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its a great networking tool and resume padding

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Had some dude contact me on linked in about a job he applied for at my workplace. Except I'm pretty sure that was a listing put up with a candidate already in mind, so lol dunno what to tell you dude.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I don’t know where else to show off my personal projects since they involve a lot of stuff

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There seems to be two different types of people in social media in my industry.

The first are people that list their employer and a very generic description of their level of responsibility, barely touching on specific sector. No client details, no project specifics, no nothing. I'm one of these people but most of the people I work with are also.

The second are people that list fuckin' everything. I don't know if it's for street cred, or they're really hurting for a job, or what. Seems to be a full third of people I know with no real rhyme or reason behind it.

Like goddamn people, nobody gonna look at your profile in that level of detail. They're gonna see [employer] and whatever credentials you have and then go from there after they contact you.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I deleted my account after it turned into Facebook lite with videos and minion posts all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Syrian Lannister posted:

I deleted my account after it turned into Facebook lite with videos and minion posts all over the place.

I smell boomers