Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ive got like 5 greek diners in a 10 min driving radius

ct is good for that

CT also has O'Rourke's which may as well be the worlds best diner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When I was in Idaho for a summer I was lucky enough to find a good Italian restaurant within walking distance of where I was staying. Ended up there twice a week because it was one of only two good places in town and got to befriend the staff.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
After thorough examination of what I spend my time doing on my desktop I realized that I wouldn’t benefit from the color accuracy or dynamic range of the expensive monitors. Instead I got two 34” ultrawides for $350 each and now have four monitors worth of work space and it’s amazing.

21:9 supremacy

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fallom posted:

imo I wouldn't want to deal with a single, wide monitor because I think it would make arranging windows a pain in the rear end and fullscreen games would gently caress with everything

My experience so far is that one ultra wide is equivalent to having two normal screens side by side but without a bezel between and arranging windows is equally as seamless. Having two ultra wides is still seamless for arranging windows. And so far no game has had a problem with them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fallom posted:

If the game goes into full screen doesn't it fill the whole monitor? I use my second screen for videos while I'm playing some games.

So right now my right half of the right screen is discord, left half is YouTube, and all of the left screen is doom playing full screen at 2560x1080. Anything that fullscreens at 1920x1080 just gets normal black letter box on the left and right margins.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we used to joust with forklifts

both vehicles go as fast as the can in opposite directions, each forking a side of the pallet. whoever drives away with a bigger chunk of pallet won

Someone make a youtube channel of this please

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Slim Pickens posted:

I did a crime and it loving broke! :cry:

Lawnmower fuel filters are not crimes though!?!? :torgue:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

:vince:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

not caring here posted:

So has anyone every used a lithium iron phosphate battery in their vehicle before? I needed a new battery for my bike and the polaris one is just pure garbage, 140 bucks, and unavailable because the cold killed a bunch of them. So I went to the local boat store and found something close enough in size, and they call it a LiFePo4, so a lithium iron phosphate I suppose.

I plug the new battery in and the bike has never started so fast before, and the lights have never been so bright without the engine actually running. Being that the battery sits directly underneath my balls I probably should've researched this a little but I was determined to not buy the OEM and here I am. Just wondering if anyone has used them before and if there's any particular oddities to expect.

The only downside so far is that it's about an inch shorter than the OEM and so it's not held in properly by the retention bracket so I'l just 3d print a spacer block to go in there. Oh, and the thing is about a third the weight of the lead acid, which is nice.

Well we have an LiFePo4 on our FSAE car cranking an R6. It’s a Full Spectrum Pulse P2 and handles it easily. Never had any overheating problems.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Are you just posting on your alt to minimize stressful online time? because your autoban got rolled back within like an hour.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MA-Horus posted:

What the gently caress did I just watch

You should watch Dragonball Abridged.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Sarah posted:

And I got my evaluation yesterday. I got rated exceptional and I’m getting a bonus :stare:

:toot:

Glad to hear there is at least one worker success story this week.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Soulex posted:

I didnt think anyone would notice that.

I hope there’s a recording so we can put that on YouTube

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Brute Squad posted:

Texas chili just sounds like something indistinguishable from a stew. I prefer beans in my chili.

Same.

On an unrelated note, drove past a smoking car on the side of the road with 4 firefighters prying off the hood. Then I saw the flames coming out of the tire wells.

:piss:

What happens when your drivers side brake lines rupture and the fluid catches fire so you ditch onto the inside corner grass and slide 500 yards because you don’t have brakes.

Then the driver sprays the minibottle you throw him over the fence by spraying the hood.

Then the track officials do the same and spray the hood rather than do anything effective.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 22, 2019

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Despite the loss of the $$$$$$$ corvette he didn't even repay our extinguisher, clearly a smart and prepared person.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

redneck nazgul posted:

Get a group together, patrol the campus and tear them down carefully. You don't want to do that solo because they might be looking for an easy mark to jump, and you don't want to tear them down willy-nilly because they have been known to slide razor blades beneath them.

Is that not an urban legend? Am I suffering from bias from living in new england?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Alright all you job having upstanding adults, its fund raising season for our schools FSAE club.

http://c-fund.us/jvm

Help me teach college kids real engineering by designing and building a race car from scratch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This conversation has been logged by the scraper bot and has been pushed into the queue for a nice Fwd: Fwd: Fwd from some poor data analytics contractor to an idiot O-2 to some O-5 to the secnavs personal assistant.

Enjoy your new orders Crab dad

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Day two out of four at Lime Rock for the Memorial Day Classic. Sunburn is slowly building. They have us next to a line of Ferraris and McLarens so our second hand couches and “built not bought” poster are either attracting more passing gear heads or scaring off the wealthy potential donors.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Sounds like a loving awesome weekend tbh

It is

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Greetings from canadia

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Brute Squad posted:

I've got a pair of Brooks I picked up to replace my clunky Merrill trail runners for hashing. Yet to take them for a real run, but they're super comfy just walking the city.

But you can pry my sundowners from my cold dead feet for backcountry hiking.

I went to a running store back when I was in and they pointed out that my feet are flat and my arch and step are hosed from wearing lovely shoes forever. Recommended me a pair of Brooks Addictions.

5 years later and i'm now on my third pair and they've been amazing.

Moral of the story is t go to a running store and have them analyse you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I must be lucky to have fairly normal feet. I needed wides in a lot of brands until I dropped a good deal of weight. Didn't help that the first Salomons I bought ran narrow (speedcross forces 3s). These Speedcross 4s are just perfect.

Cousin got a new tattoo, got me thinking about getting something new, but also useful and hard to notice. Long story short, thinking of getting common measurements on my right arm. Figure out what position I want to hold my hand/arm to measure poo poo, have my arm lightly ticked every three inches, and a small, separate bar for metric further up my arm, maybe 10cm, with the first 5mm shaded.

I know this is dumb but gently caress it, do it light enough and people would actually have to look hard for it. Not intentionally bad like the corncob sailor some goon has, will become less accurate with time, but for now, probably somewhat useful. I mean, all tattoos are pointless on some scale. This one will be able to scale itself.

I'm all for getting tattoos but personally getting a ruler sounds pretty dumb.

Although I did once see a guy with a little socket size chart hidden right above the elbow, just below where a tshirt cuff stops. Had a square of 9 little hex's and the socket size you would need if the bolthead covered the black. But that was also part of a whole sleeve of gearhead and car poo poo that went from shoulder to wrist so it didn't stick out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Read it before the edit and that does sound like youre entirely justified in being angry at your boss for being a shitheel.

Firing the guy responsible for thing then being angry at you that thing isn't ideal is just poor management.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It hit 90 here yesterday. It was 60 a few days ago.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://twitter.com/JanelleCShane/status/1144207869887307776

MikeJF posted:

According to the guy, the base model that he started with was taken from the OpenAI institute, which trained it with a general linguistic context by feeding it a huge chunk of the internet - 345 million training parameters. (which apparently causes it to have an occasional tendency to drift into Harry Potter Fanfic) From there you take a copy of that network and train it on a specific dataset of desired output and it'll give you similar results.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I spent eight hours trying to decipher someone elses code that analyses tire test data. Down side, I failed, upside, I now know way more about tires.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
protip: Panera bread has a great deal with a bakers dozen of bagels and tubs of cream cheese.

Just get two or three sets of those and bring them to your office and everybody will think your an amazing coworker. Until the old guy at your office slices his finger on a ceramic knife or something.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

pepe's and sally's are both horribly overrated

Just to make sure I quote this important fact.

but also state the more important fact that if you can make the trek to new haven you can make the trek to Meriden, CT, which is a shithole town but is home to The Little Rendezvous which is the best pizza in the state famous for good pizza.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ubiquiti makes the best networking gear, its cheap for the capability and quality. The downside is that there is no dumbed down consumer version. So you have to spend the extra hour on initial setup as if you're an actual IT person with four braincells. Its not difficult and their customer service is amazing and will live chat you through just about anything if you get stuck. Once its setup though you'll be gold for the next decade, unlike with crap you can buy at best buy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Vasudus posted:

yep i'm deputy program manager now

fuuuuuuuck

i'm scheduling interviews with all the other teams i'm now responsible for and having a 'so, tell me what you do here' meeting like out of goddamn office space

balls

Tell them its literally the office space meeting. Use their reactions to forge an initial impression of your minions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Because he was a loudmouth or because he was senior enough to be getting paid for being useless?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

colachute posted:

anyone seen john wick 3? i'm going to see it tomorrow morning.

Its good. There is a good dog.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
1000W LED panels are 8.5A at 120V. Unless you're talking 1000W equivalent? Even 1000W equivalent if you're using them for grow lights their lifetime is severely affected by temperature, and if you want them to last a year you'll need good air circulation, and if you want three to five years get water cooled ones. I assume thats a project you can just buy off the shelf?

What spectra does weed like anyway? And does it vary by strain? Now i'm curious.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Still hoping for the wheres waldo 365 tear away photo calendar

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Is it a felony if there are a bushel of them discarded outside of your apartment or in a dumpster

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dogs are Horny news at 11.

That explains monty, but does not explain your posting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
People complaining ITT about good food vs similar good food.

Fish on rice is good

Rolls are good

I could happily feast on Raw Ahi Tuna until I die of heavy metal poisoning

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Finished the Boys last night, glad they were planning two seasons before they even finished the first one.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://poolside.fm

I can see myself visiting this site a lot when it gets cold this winter, assuming that winter happens this year or ever again.

This is going in my music bookmarks right next to https://plaza.one/ for random background music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

The Rat posted:

I saw Pacific Rim seven times when it was still in theaters and I regret NOTHING

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmje2_Mh26U

I see you too are a man of discerning youtube tastes :respek: