Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Parent chat... 3rd day home with my first child after watching my wife through four days of labor.

After days of second-guessing this choice and wanting to grab the first doctor in the hallway and arrange a back-alley vasectomy for myself, I am finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I know in my heart I love my kid but this is a new and very potent feeling of helplessness. I feel like I've been bitch-slapped into reality after 6 years of DINK marriage. Babies are harder than I ever imagined and I have a newfound respect for my own folks and parents in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Thanks y'all. Mom is finally able to sleep q bit without worrying the baby is going to smother itself, and feeding is going better every day. Sleep deprivation is a hell of a thing, but we're figuring ways to tag team

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Made a kick-rear end dry aged ribeye for Christmas dinner, inspired by the Matty Matheson video. Seared in oil, then basted in herb butter, never done it before but oh my god it was tasty. I was scared because of the color but they ended up a perfect medium rare inside. Probably the best steak I've ever had.

Need to go chip the cholesterol out of my arteries...

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Fallom posted:

This was wildly irresponsible for a variety of reasons, and I stopped once they started trying to open the door into my room. For a little while, though, we had a good thing going on.

This part could be straight out of the e/n relationships thread, lmao

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Burt posted:

The last time I tried to make ginger beer, it was so carbonated it blew the bottoms out half of my bottles.

Same result. Blew one or two bottles open even after having been warned of this by a friend and letting them brew in a bathtub. The bottles that stayed intact were refrigerated and treated as if they had nitroglycerin in them.

A third bottle blew open at the swing lock when I tried to open it. Fun stuff, but tasty

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I finally assembled and booted up a PiHole install I had left sitting in a box for months. I set my router to use it as the DNS so all devices on the network get the benefit. The amount of crap that is blocked is unreal, and web pages (particularly on mobile) load so much faster. No more blogger bullshit trying to load when I'm looking up fried rice recipes with a wicked hangover.

Easy project if you're mildly comfortable with the cmd window, highly recommended

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I did one last week too. I had zero Linux programming experience. Get yourself a rasp pi 4, good power supply, case with fans and a 32 or 64 gb SD card.

You'll need a card reader to download the OS into the card. You'll also need to know how to set up DNS on your router and devices.

I knew the DNS, but no Linux. Now I have it rebooting once a week via schedule.

Web pages are much cleaner. You can disable ad blocker too.

I did mine with a Pi 3B and bought all my stuff from Adafruit. In hindsight it was on the pricey side but I wanted a one stop shop that came in a kit with FAQs, just to get my feet wet.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
My 6y/o Labrador was on the last bit of 2 weeks no roughhousing / no walkies due to what the vet thought was a sprain. Unsupervised for 10 minutes,she decided to play hard in the garden yesterday with our other dog and managed to completely tear/rupture it.

Doggo had a sedated X-ray today confirming the lovely news- next step is a surgery consult for what will surely be the low-middle 4 figures, plus 12 weeks recovery :smith:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

nwin posted:

Nah she hosed the hood up really good. It didn’t phase me much but my wife’s never seen anything like that so she’s a bit shaken up.

Impressive. Crumple zones work on people too, not just cars... I fell off a 2nd story roof in high school and would have landed flat on concrete if not for one of those toddler sized fisher-price playhouse things breaking my fall. Totaled the house, but I was fine :shrug:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Watched On the Beach (1959) for the first time, as a new parent... during a pandemic.

Absolutely well done and atmospheric. Shockingly sad. Was not expecting a random Gregory Peck retrospective on TV to make me lie awake at night.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Gonna have a fun phone call with my folks tonight or tomorrow letting them know my family won't be flying across the country to visit in August. We postponed a trip in March due to the pandemic, just kind of flicked a dart at a calendar and chose these dates as a backup. Based on relatives' social media posts about masks and such, the decision is not going to be well-received at all. poo poo looks even worse now casewise by any metric I can find (both in our locality and theirs), and the thought of trying to fly with an 8mo old at a time like this makes me viscerally uneasy.

Am I crazy? And I overthinking this? I'm bracing for a huge fight over great grandma sundowning before she can meet our baby... I can't see how a trip like this isn't dangerous to everyone involved. I hate this pandemic, I hate the isolation, I hate not being able to talk to so many of my old friends, I hate the calculus I have to go through before discussing my day to day choices in case I'll damage someone's feelings about personal freedom. Goddamn it

e: I've already made my mind up, were not going. Wife agrees/is supportive, I just hate what my family life has devolved into. It could be so much worse, but I'm the rear end in a top hat in the spotlight for doing the right thing

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 23, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

TCD posted:

It's the right call dude.

Thanks for the words, everyone. I've broken down more times in the past month than the rest of the last decade combined. Nerves are paper-thin these days.

On top of everything I had to take one of my dogs to the ER this evening, as she was bleeding pretty badly while urinating. The doc is worried about urinalysis and a mass on the ultrasound. Mentioned possible carcinoma but she's only six so I'm hoping it's something else. Antibiotics for 72hrs and we'll check again

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

egyptian rat race posted:

Thanks for the words, everyone. I've broken down more times in the past month than the rest of the last decade combined. Nerves are paper-thin these days.

On top of everything I had to take one of my dogs to the ER this evening, as she was bleeding pretty badly while urinating. The doc is worried about urinalysis and a mass on the ultrasound. Mentioned possible carcinoma but she's only six so I'm hoping it's something else. Antibiotics for 72hrs and we'll check again

E: From back in April, before she tore her doggie ACL. Surgery restricted activity for 14 weeks so hopefully she just has a UTI related to being crated so much during recover (usually she roams)

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Junk purges feel good. I should do another one.

Watch some Marie Kondo. I don't care about the woo-woo aspect of it, but I got so much anxiety after a couple of episodes I ended up starting room by room in my own house. I think my wife and I have gotten rid of three carloads of junk so far

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

bird food bathtub posted:

I would super love this. There's a dream job I'd want some day that's through USAJOBS. It was not super clear what was going on last time I tried.

Same. I work for state government and the fed hiring process still baffles me

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Dropping in to say how loving cool and soul cleanisng it is to do some projects around the house and to have some extra money to donate this month to local mutual aid charities. I feel like the news is missing how badly people are hurting right now, and turning off a lot of the news has helped me greatly.

e: Alice's Kids for one. Just stepping in to help people, no strings attached

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 29, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Phone posting from the ER... Cellulitis fuckin sucks. Popped a tiny zit on my elbow this morning and by 9pm it looked like I had a racquetball under my skin. Doc thinks it might have been a spider bite and I squished the bad poo poo into the joint

I'm mostly upset I had to wake my spouse and bundle the baby into the car because I couldn't get a shirt on, let alone drive

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Suntan Boy posted:

Do they think it's MRSA? The antibiotics for that always turned my insides into the Schlitterbahn.

Revised diagnosis is now bursitis. Doc put me on amoxicillin (oral) and a broad spectrum IV. They don't seem too concerned after doing bloods and taking an x-ray, so I think I'm going home in a few

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Well this has been a rollercoaster weekend. Went from a decent fever to worsening redness and swelling, more IV antibiotics and pain meds. Finally got in to see an orthopedic doc today, who promptly lanced it and packed it full of gauze. Waiting to see what godawful critters show up in the culture assay.

I will say there was more blood and pus packed into the elbow than I thought possible

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Another update! Ortho saw the spreading redness today and sent me to the ER. I'm getting admitted to the hospital, currently on a shitload of (new!) antibiotics!

2020 sucks, etc

Edit: the standalone ER I am at is now arguing with at least one of the urgent care clinics I've been to over the past three days, over who gets to take me and who pays for the ambulance to ensure "continuity of care". Ma'am, you sliced my arm open and sent me home inside of half an hour, I don't care who continues the care. Going to the affiliated hospital down the street cause it's close to home and the ambulance is included.

[ASK] me how I really feel about American healthcare (even with good insurance!)

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 22, 2020

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Mustang posted:

Dear God the hills where I live whooped my rear end. Jesus Christ.

My quads are hating me right now.

I'm jealous- haven't been outdoors on a bike in over a month. I think one of the cycling threads in the fitness forum still has the motto "it never gets easier, you just get faster". I personally think it gets a little easier and a decent amount faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Burt posted:

I was dying. They had been pumping antibiotics, which one nurse said was the "equivalent of bleach", into me for about 7 days, I'd had 15 canulas as the drugs were causing the veins to collapse or something, I was on morphine for the pain and had a temp over 40+ and a heart rate of 90+. As soon as the needle hit the abcess I actually just dropped a massive sigh as the relief was immediate. 3 more nights in to monitor me then home with a tube hanging out of me and a bag on the end of it.
I'll leave the part about back flushing the drain everyday to your imagination.

Holy poo poo dude.