Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Congrats!

I only did a post-grad cert, and another year of that sounded like too much for me to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I know a few of you work for NPS, is it a common thing for people to bounce between term and seasonal jobs there?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

Now I'm 32, 5 years in the Army, and have no idea what the gently caress I want to do with my life.

I’m 34, and still working it out. Bouncing between jobs (divemaster, NPS), volunteer gigs (cleaning corals, volunteering at a local aquarium), and going back to school. May finish my masters and pick up a GEOINT certificate while I’m at it after this job or the next is done, but I don’t know yet.

e: congrats on your newfound freedom :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Back off a touch and see how you feel? 6 days a week feels like a ton.

I still lift, but it’s like 4 days a week at most (and rarely that). My job is scuba diving and hauling up marine debris, so I’ve got times where I’m physiologically banned from working out (exertion within 24hrs of a dive is correlated with decompression sickness) or I’ve been hauling heavy poo poo to/from our boats and I’m just a bit too beat to go to the gym after work.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Valium's a benzo, not an opiate.

For the longest time until I googled it just now I thought they were one and the same.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Swimming is the quiet way to get some serious workouts, in my mind. The water keeps you cool, the water gives a shitload of resistance, and it doesn't put up with any cheating. Different strokes can work almost whatever muscle group you want to target, with the benefit of getting some good cardio at the same time. I need to get back to it, but I was doing 4x half-mile sets with mask/fins/snorkel in the span of an hour before the weather cooled down here and I got hyper-busy :v:

The only drawback I see is because you don't get all hot/sweaty while swimming, you skip straight to the "I want to stuff all of the food straight into my mouth-hole" stage of post-workout fairly quick. My solution was to time it to where I'm getting out of the water and going straight home for dinner at a normal-ish time, but if you can't time it like that maybe a small snack or a normal coffee afterwards (caffeine has a slight effect of suppressing appetite) could do the trick too.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’d love to get more into freediving, it’s even more zen than how you see swimming. Being 40ft down without any dive gear on is it’s own kind of peaceful (until your body gives you the “I WANT TO BREATHE, YOU DUMBFUCK” signal :v: )

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

So, Elmindorf or however the crap you spell it. Paper work might be coming down to send me to Alaska for a few weeks. In January. Joy. Tips on survival from anyone that's been in the area? Never been on the western part of the country outside of a plane, then tah-dah, Alaska! Probably going to be doing a lot of over time so long trips from there are out, wherever there is.

https://www.smartwool.com/best-socks-finder.html

Yes, they're a little expensive. They're worth every penny, though. I wore these through Fairbanks winters (down to -60F) and never had any issues.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone here have any opinions on Ocracoke Island, NC/Cape Hatteras National Seashore? I picked up a job there for the summer :)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I vacation out there every couple of years. Ocracoke is really nice. Only inhabited part of the island is the western end. I'd imagine dealing with tourists can get a little old but overall it's a really nice spot if you like beaches but don't want to deal with jersey shore type places.

I lived in Wilmington for a few years, then FL for the last little bit. Tourists are better than the boomer snowbirds that come down this way :v:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I really need to get my claim but I keep feeling like a faking failure every time I start.

My sad brains is terrible this year and they have been this way for loving 9 years. Idk why. Idk why and I feel like I'm supposed to.

DAV was who I used to process my claim, they made it really easy. Literally the only thing I had to do was show up to the appointments and sign some forms. You earned that $$ for whatever injury or illness popped up during your service. My sadbrains got me rated high-ish, along with 2 missing discs in my back (turns out running with a rucksack on is a bad idea, who could've guessed).

I was first diagnosed with dysthymia about a decade ago, and most of the time it's manageable (if only barely). It's just...part of me now, I guess. Certain times of year are worse than others (today is a suicide anniversary for me, for example), so I'm feeling it a bit worse than normal...but that'll mostly pass as soon as February rolls around (back to the normally-scheduled low-grade depression).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

He couldn’t come up with 6 more? Shameful.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Arishtat posted:

Would you rather: Bavarian German or Swiss German?

That's a tough call. On the one hand, you've got you've got an unholy conglomeration of german that mixed with every other language in the area and is barely intelligible to anyone outside that specific region...wait a sec, that applies to both schwaebisch and swiss german :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

If I don't get Wedge Antilles with a fuckton of kill markers on his beat to poo poo x-wing I will fanboy rage out.

It had better have silhouettes of both Death Stars on it, otherwise what’s the point? :colbert: