Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

colachute posted:

Hot take guess: John Wick dies at the end of JW3.

JW4: John Wick's Pit Just Wrecked Your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nystral posted:

So my dad worked at Martin Marietta and had this in his stuff that we’re cleaning out. Where would I begin to research this poo poo?

Start with the internet and then try Lockheed-Martin?
MM's Supersonic Low Altitude Target

e: Or post them in TFR's Airpower/Cold War thread. Your posts will be appreciated and you'll get good answers.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 19, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

not caring here posted:

What is amy's baking company?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy%27s_Baking_Company#Synopsis

But reading about Amy's Baking Company on Wikipedia is like reading about Hieronymus Bosch's The Garden of Earthly Delights but not looking at it.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Sarah posted:

Took the baby to daycare at 9 am. Super loving depressed right now. I’m trying not to cave and go pick her up.

They called at 10 AM and asked how I was doing. They said she is napping and doing great.

I don’t know if I feel better that she’s ok without me or worse. :(

That's sweet. They sound like good folks.

Your daughter will take lots of steps as she grows into her life that will scare mom and dad - not because it's anything bad, just, "OHMYGODTHATSMYLITTLEBABY*." It's OK. Love her, support her and take lots of deep breaths.

*Even when they're in their 20s.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soulex posted:

[I got a wonderful surprise email this morning.]
That's fantastic! You're good. Really good, and this is going to open up all kinds of amazing possibilities.

Soulex posted:

Thanks guys. This poo poo is wild to me. I have imposter syndrome like a mother fucker
So long as you recognize that it's a syndrome and not actually true. Don't fall into this kind of thinking:

Soulex posted:

I am also 100% this is because of the school I go to, and not my photography.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Tried taking some pictures of soap bubbles...

:catdrugs:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soulex posted:

These are phenomenal! Howd you get the colors so crazy?

The colors are the easiest part! It's a macro shot. The colors are already there, they're just hard to see with the naked eye. These pics are about a half inch wide - the bumpy black thing in the first picture is part of a pipe cleaner (which holds more soap to keep the soap film intact longer)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soulex posted:

I have seen it. You will love it. Also, please watch with OG and read subtitles. The voice over is godawful.

That makes sense. I thought it was a really giant bubble, like how you see some kids chase after when that one person at the park has them rope sticks and a bucket of soap.

It also gave me a really cool idea for a school assignment. I was concepting smoke but this.

This is way better.

I am pretty stoked with those patterns and colors. I dont have a macro lens but I might extension tube/reverse ring and see if I get lucky.

Basically, my photo class is a self portrait class. I am gonna try some double/triple/quadruple exposure stuff. Gonna try this for texture instead of smoke or both.

Cool. The technique I used for those pictures is also used to make redeye/Replicant eye pictures. Would you like a spergpost on soapfilm?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

So, what/how is this beautiful deviltry? Thin film interference.

How to make soap bubble pictures:

Bubbles:
Mix up your own bubbles with dish or laundry soap and water, or use kids' blowing bubbles.
Make about a half cup.
Add a tablespoon or two of glycerin. This makes the bubble last for minutes, rather than seconds. It also slows down the shifting patterns of color a bit.
You're not going to blow bubbles, just let them sit there - technically they're soap film, not bubble, pictures.
Make a soap film holder from a pipe cleaner or a bit of wire coat hanger with paper towel or cloth or foam around it to hold more soap.
Figure out a way to hold the bubble holder up.

Camera: DSLR or a point and shoot that can do macro shots.

Lens: some way to do macro - you can probably do it without a macro lens, but you're going to lose some detail blowing it up.
Most of these pictures were taken with a 50mm lens and 68mm of extension tubes. The first and last were taken with a 18-270mm zoom at 270mm with a Raynox DCR-150 clipon lens (the Raynox gets you 95% of a macro lens for 10% of the price and takes a second to take on and off - get one!)
Don't worry about a fast lens, you won't need one because you'll need to set your f-stop high (small aperture) to get a bigger depth of field.

Light: either a remote flash or continuous lighting or an aimable desk lamp

Optional:
a tripod for the camera
a tripod or stand for the light
A diffuser for the light. If you've got a small soft box, fine, but a piece of printer paper stood off on front of the light source will work too.
A focusing rail for the camera.

Setup: You've essentially got to bounce the light off the soap film into the lens.

What angle AC is doesn't matter, only that angle AB and BC be equal and that line B is perpendicular to the soap film. Everything (lens, light, soap film) needs to be in the same horizontal plane.

Start out with the light a little bit back because you're going to be moving it around at first. Scoot it in closer once everything gets set up.

Get some soap on the holder and set it in place. Now try to get your angles set up. Focus the lens on the soap holder and then angle it down to look at the soap film. You can use a flashlight or smart phone light to get in the ballpark for the angle for the light. Look through the viewfinder. If you see something like this, you're getting close:

Put your light source (and diffuser if you're using one) in the same place and check it by looking through the viewfinder if using light, or taking a picture of you're using a flash.

If it looks like this, you've lost the angle, try again:

Getting there:

Just right:

The difference between the light in this picture and the harsh, ragged 'ballpark' picture above is mostly the difference between the LED light on a phone and diffused light.

Reload the holder with soap and put it back in the same place. Check again for good reflection.
Now set your focus on the edge of the bubble holder, somewhere near the top. If you're using a light, autofocus might work (?) but you'll probably need to use manual focus. Live view might work too, which will ease focusing.
Wait and watch. If you're using a flash, take a picture every few seconds.
It'll start small and slow

And you'll wonder why you went through all this trouble. This is at about 2 minutes in. Just wait a few more seconds.

And so on. These shots were taken over 4 minutes. The picture will change continuously, and you can also pan around the rest of the bubble to look for different patterns. You'll need to continuously fiddle with the focus, particularly if you're panning around.

Advanced technique:
Unfortunately, you'll notice you aren't getting good focus across the whole picture.
Take a look at the angle of the soap film in comparison to the focal plane of your camera. They're not parallel. That means that parts of the soap film are closer to the camera than other parts, and when you're shooting macro, fractions of a millimeter matter for focus.
So how to fix it? In the ABC angle picture, angle AC is about 60°. The more you can shrink that angle, the more of the soap film you can keep in focus. Once you get that angle to zero, you're golden.
Unfortunately, because gear takes up space, it'd be hard to get that angle down to 45, let alone 0.

You can still get that angle to zero, but you'll need one more piece of equipment.:eng101:

A sheet of glass. 5x7 inches will be plenty. The glass from a cheap picture frame is perfect.

This setup is where yesterday's and the bookend pics in this post came from. You need to up the light intensity a little, but it gets you that (optically) 0° angle between light and lens.
Downside: if you're using extension tubes, you're probably going to run out of working distance because of the space the pane of glass takes up.

(This bubble is getting ready to pop)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 2, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Soulex posted:

Finally got a chance to shoot some more.

My mentor told me to go for some different shots, less shutter speed and more zoom. Hope it worked

album: https://imgur.com/a/lRIimwO
I think I see where they're going with you, trying to get less descriptive and more evocative - so you're not so much faithfully capturing a moment of action, but capturing a feeling, the essence of what's going on rather than a sharp representation of what happened.
I think they'll want you to try even more of the same.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

Better than my current car. :lol:

Plus 15 years newer and half the mileage.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

My mom was having knee surgery and thanks to a lucky break with my spring trial dates I was able to clear out a little over 3 weeks to take care of my dad, who has some dementia, while she was gone. I flew down a couple days before she left and stayed a couple days after she returned. I had a great time with my dad.
According to my Fitbit, my resting pulse usually runs in the low-to-mid 70s. It stayed there until my mom left for her surgery and then dropped into the mid and mid-to-upper 60s while I was with dad. The day mom came back, it popped back up into the low-to-mid 70s and has stayed there.
Conclusion:. Dealing with my mom is as stressful as being a public defender.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

How are all your goats and other animals doing?
We're getting out of goats, we've only got two moms and their babies and a retiree and her babies left. Soon it'll just be the retiree and her two daughters. Stopped having ducks/chickens/quail for health reasons - The raccoons were getting obese Have some rescue horses and some show horses, rescue dogs and cats, and 60-70 show/meat rabbits spread over 5 different breeds.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Post some barnyard animals, goat mon

Derringer at about 5 minutes

A week later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4y3Z490Lgo
At 5 weeks

Bunny therapy

Levi looking a little gangly

Have more pictures of babies like this lately

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Went to the AKC Agility Dog Nationals this weekend.
Hundreds and hundreds of happy dogs having fun with their chill people.
Unfortunately, my lens is just not up to indoor sports, but ... dogges!

This dog was ripped!

This dog was a freaking bullet.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Oldie, still my favorite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

We seed wildflowers every year, but this is what I grow primarily:

Cool plants, cool cars, cool view.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

This seems to hit an interesting intersection of GiP interests.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

Had my mom wife and kids in the car.

You didn't need to try that hard to blend in.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Who on Earth would want to have unimaginable body trauma injected into their eyeballs over coffee?

Got to get ready for work!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Syrian Lannister posted:

Looking for a critique on these, and what I can do to improve.

Camera is a Canon 450D, lens used is either a Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 or EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 with Av selected.

I am shooting off a mono-pod, and only corrections were cropping and or straightening.

https://imgur.com/a/qVVy6ra

Soulex really knocked it out of the park with that mini master course. Do everything Soulex said.
All I might be able to add is,
Use AI Servo for AF (back button focus may affect this, I should switch and learn)
Don't shoot with your aperture all the way wide open or all the way stopped down, most lenses will give up some sharpness at the extremes.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

The Rat posted:

Oof I just got the repair quote back from Olympus for my wide angle lens that was making a rattling sound and having weird issues with the zoom ring. $423. Apparently a small screw came completely loose inside the lens and that's what was making the sound.

Beats buying a new lens though.

Will the repair price go up if you try to DIY and fail? (Assuming you don't gouge a lens element or something)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Golden hour applies to spiders as well:

Boop!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

and the source article

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Everything is bad. Everything will kill you.

Beef/Beer 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Woof Blitzer posted:

OCS is designed to be a paid summer time leadership internship.
Hahahahahahahaha.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Handsome Ralph posted:

First assignment I got involved looking at a few thousand pages of manuscripts and correspondence from 1790-1859. RIP my eye sight.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Can you say what kind of work it is?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

You are confused. That is not the burning reactor.
The control system tank ruptured. The backup-pumps have been engaged to continuously supply water to the core. The exposure is at 3.6 Roentgens per hour, which is not great, but it's not horrifying. An RBMK reactor cannot explode.

Thank you for the reassurance, Comrade!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

I love this meatless meat revolution given how good it is in its infancy.
It's not in its infancy at all. The newer parts are progressive cachet and the impressive improvements in taste, texture and appearance.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its been cold and rainy in new england for the past week and a half

some sun would be nice

I saw the yellow face today. It burned us, Precious.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

If Europa Universalis taught me anything, it's that Ethiopia was historically a Christian nation surrounded by Muslims. Did that change sometime?

No it hasn't changed, but the majority (2/3 ish) of Ethiopian immigrants come from the Somali region of Ethiopia, which is majority (98%) Muslim.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Can someone post the goon mental health walk thread? I wouldn’t even know where to begin in finding it.

pantslesswithwolves posted it a little upthread:

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The single best part of that thread, other than all of it, was when someone who claimed to do work in outdoor recreation/leadership came by and casually dropped this calm and thorough post explaining where he was loving up, and the likely consequences of said gently caress ups. Of course Muerte didn’t pay attention to any of it, but it was just a mic drop of posts.

Also when the thread title was changed to Raisin Awareness about the high likelihood of OP dying of dehydration and leaving a desiccated corpse.

Actually this was the best part of the thread

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 4, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Math is easy. I’ve been debating a master’s in finance for a while.

Stop masters debating and take the GRE.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I watched that Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, and it just occurred to me that I never saw Bill & Ted's excellent adventure in English.

I'm changing that now.

Please tell me they said ausgezeichnet and not exzellent.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

So good

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

That's a nice afternoon's work.

(Red Dawn is gorgeous)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

post the baja

also hella props on the baja

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Came here to post the correct one, was pleased to see it was already here.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

colachute posted:

I just got called by a company that wants to bring me in for an interview. The starting salary is 20% higher than what I make now and it’s not public accounting.

Lion taming?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That house unironically owns

I cant actually build up any sort of mental picture of the interior from those photos either

I love the Lovecraft house, too.

I'm the tree growing through the house.
"Those bastards want $5000 to take out that tree? Well screw them, I've got a shitload of window glass laying around!"

e: It's like a smaller, country version of the Winchester Mystery House

joat mon fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

what the gently caress is going on here

That's the tree closet.

E: Correction, that's a different built-in tree: