Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Mustang posted:

Any recommendations for a good/decent used 4x4 SUV or truck? Looking to get one for when I go up into the mountains but don't know anything about 4x4 cars or what their reputations for durability/maintenance are.

Its hard to go wrong with a Toyota product. Yeah there’s a price premium on the used ones but one should expect to get 200k+ miles out of one with regular maintenance. 2008-2010 FJ Cruisers are around $10k. 3rd (1996-2002) and 4th generation (2002-09) 4Runners can be had for under $10k. It’s also worth looking at the Lexus GX460/470 which are a US market derivative of the Land Cruiser Prado. You could also look into 80 or 100 series Land Cruisers, but that might be more truck than you want to deal with.

Honestly though if it’s a weekend getaway vehicle the Subaru Forester might just fit better. It’s definitely better on gas and comfort and can go most places that proper 4x4s end up going.

Now if your goal is to go 4 wheeling ignore the Subaru and go straight to the truck option.

Comedy options:
Early 2000s Mitsubishi Montero
Ford Ranger V6 with a cap over the bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i was looking for a ford ranger like 4 years ago

cheapest price used in my area was $10k

used trucks are ridiculous

Could be worse, if you want to get some of that #vanlife peep the prices on Sprinters.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

I foolishly went 20 years wearing one pair of glasses for everything. Then about five years ago I wised up and started getting special purpose frames with the annual discount from my vision plan.

Now I have a set of everyday glasses, the previous pair as a backup, a set of safety rated ones for mountain biking and shop use, and a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Thanks bolle for making a set that fit my tiny noggin.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

Get a hardtail mountain bike and find some nice trails, never hate exercise again

QFT. Mountain biking will wear your poo poo out and make you come back for more.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

If you go Ubiquiti (if you have a shred of sense of how a basic network works it's easy to pick up) pony up for the whole controller / firewall / switch / AP because then everything takes its orders from the controller and you can see what's going on in your network end-to-end. The firewall configuration is a little weird if you're used to any other stateful firewall (pfSense, Cisco, etc.) but Ubiquiti's tutorials do a good job of explaining how Ubiquiti approches networking.

Edit: If you don't feel like jumping in with both feet just get a controller and an AP and add it to whatever existing network gear you already have to get a feel for things.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 15, 2019

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nystral posted:

Nthing UBNT

Make sure you buy UNIFI and not Edgerouter equipment. They don’t mix and match on the back end.

The UniFi stuff, if you pop for a cloudkey make am sure it’s GEN 2 and not Gen 1. Gen 1 locks up like a motherfucker.

The Security Gateway (router / firewall), the AP, Cloudkey, and switch with PPOE for your AP new will run you some cash but be rock solid for years. They also have mobile apps and a great UI and you can do everything from your phone if you want.

Otherwise buy a dumb switch and get a router you can toss Tomato or DD-WRT on and have a good experience but it will crap out eventually, probably in 3 years or so.

Edge* stuff is Ubiquiti minus the nice UI and integration. I have a good background in Cisco IOS and other enterprise grade gear so I could hack it, but I don't want to be a network admin 24/7 and I'm already borderline that because I bought a bunch of gear to set up a learning lab to teach myself VMware virtualization.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The only thing I could find on that was this kind of fringey article from some survivalist website

https://offgridsurvival.com/california-officials-declare-ham-radio-no-longer-a-benefit/

I know the FCC just cracked down on FRS/GMRS radio sales as well. Speaking from experience, even the UN is moving away from VHF radios and is using mobile phones as its primary communication system for safety/security unless you’re talking about deep field locations where there’s no cell grid. And there are surprisingly few places left where that’s the case.

The FCC went after Baofeng (among others) who were selling amateur radios that were completely unlocked and could transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies and also were notorious for interfering with adjacent channels.

I also went looking and found the following:

- https://californiaglobe.com/section...g-an-emergency/
- https://hamradionow.libsyn.com/hrn-414-there-is-no-such-thing-as-free-rack-space
- http://www.arrl.org/news/report-causes-concern-and-confusion-in-california-s-amateur-radio-ranks

As for relevance of VHF/UHF communications in today's environment there are plenty of places in the continental US where cellular phone service simply doesn't exist. Large chunks territory in the Appalachian mountain chain just don't have service because population density doesn't support placing towers on every hilltop in order to provide continuous coverage.

Speaking just for myself I regularly go camping and wheeling in places where cellular service is spotty (as in only on hilltops) or nonexistent. It makes communications, navigation, and trip planning a little more interesting. Most of those areas are covered by 2m amateur radio repeaters. It's nice to know that should I get hurt or stuck I have a chance of contacting someone for aid without having to hike a few miles to find a house.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Learn Bavarian :suicide:

Would you rather: Bavarian German or Swiss German?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

UniFi is great if you want to play home network admin or if you're a small business that wants a network that can be centrally managed. At a minimum you need a UniFi controller which can be software installed on a Windows, Mac or Linux system and an AP, switch, or firewall (UniFi Security Gateway is Ubiquiti's term for their firewalls). The UniFi controller can also be run on a Cloud Key device or hosted by Ubiquiti. The Cloud Key can also be synced with the Ubiquiti Cloud Controller. Management of the Controller is performed via its web site or via mobile apps.

The workflow for setting up a UniFi network is:
- set up controller
- define network
- associate UniFi devices to be managed with controller
- configure and manage devices

If this all seems like a lot of work for a home network then it might be better to look at Eero, Google Nest, or even the Ubiquiti AmpliFI product line which are geared more towards setting up a simple home network with a base station directly connected to your Internet uplink and then one or more mesh access points.

Source: I have a complete UniFi network comprised of a USG-Pro, a couple of switches, and two UAC-Pro access points which serve my home networking needs plus a personal lab for playing around with VMware vSphere and other stuff.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 30, 2020

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

TMBG's Flood, still one of their best albums and listen to it every so often

The first concert I attended was Violent Femmes...because They Might Be Giants was the opener.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Woofer posted:

You know when you’re deployed and you start daydreaming about what you’re gonna do when you get back?

This lockdown has me doing that.

Yeah I'm with you dude, things are generally okay but cycling between home <-> work and not much more is getting old. What's keeping me sane are the fam, the dogs and cat, and taking the car out for loops around the countryside.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

My overseas eating experience was that cooked food was okay. What you had to watch out for was raw food like salad because it was often rinsed in untreated water. The same went for any beverage that wasn’t imported or boiled. So stuff like chai was fine (and not wise to refuse) and so was canned soda and bottled water from known good sources, but local water was a hard no unless you wanted to live with the screaming rear end monkeys for a few days afterward.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Is that a bag of Skittles in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

ded posted:

A weed farm that wants you to sign papers agreeing to a lie detector? Ya gently caress that.

They're dumb if they think that threatening employees with a polygraph is a deterrent.

And yeah what ded said, gently caress that noise.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

Looking for vehicle recommendations again.

After jotting down what I want the vehicle for and sitting on it a bit, I think an early 2000s Ranger is the move. Admittedly, part of this choice is because Monty is about to turn 7. He’s not an old man but he’s also not a puppy anymore, so I’d like to take him on some some road trips and do some camping and let him live his best life.

I’m soliciting opinions and recommendations. I had a 2000 F150 for several years and as soon as the motor hit 100k miles it started having a shitload of issues (both electrical and mechanical). Was that just the triton engine or were all early 2000 fords duds?

Sensible choices for the urban dweller:
Honda Element
Honda Pilot, 2nd generation 2009-2015
Subaru Legacy Outback
Subaru Forester

The Element is funky but cannot be beat for utility and can be had in either FWD or 4WD. The 2nd generation Pilot is pretty beige, but it's reliable as hell and swallows a lot of cargo. Subies are Subies.

Less urban-friendly but more 'outdoorsy' options:
4th gen 4Runner Limited (2002-2009)
Lexus GX460

The 4Runner Limited is a full time 4WD with a V8 engine that performs better and consumes about the same amount of gas as the V6 offered at the same time. The Lexus is better appointed inside but avoid the 'Luxury' model as it included a variable height suspension which gets tempermental as it ages.

Advantages: These are real SUVs and can go further off-road than the vehicles above.
Disadvantages: poor fuel economy, not very DC friendly, may have to lift and lower Monty as the cabin floor is higher.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

I just had my very first “should have been on mute” moment in my WFH life.

We were just informed to make sure that when we CC people, we put them in the CC line in rank of seniority.

Me: “who loving cares?”

As a fellow second class citizen and sub-second class citizen at that my response is exactly what yours was.

If you're that petty go gently caress yourself you oxygen thief and make room for someone who wants to do the job, not have the job to get the title and pretend respect.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I work at a weird place and poo poo got dumber at work; one of our directors was like "let's just smile and nod with all the changes... hes the one that signs our checks," and having completely worn off my meds and everything else, i just blurted out, "it's not his fuckin' neck."

idk how i'm still employed tbh sometimes.

see i wasn't talking about autonomy, i was complaining about how i am not allowed to adjust the monitor height now because the owner of the company wants all the screen tops to line up.

Yesterday my insomnia addled brain decided to tell my program manager (from my company) and architect (not technically my boss, but senior in terms of grade and time with company) that I have a serious personal problem with a prime contractor employee and that it would be:
- A) best to limit interaction between that person and myself
- B) that if that person did x, y, or z in my present I might just verbally bite that person's head off regardless of who else is in the room

It felt really loving good to voice it and now I think it is much less likely to occur in the first place. The person is still a smarmy know-it-all but my co-workers won't be blindsided if I take this person to task for being unprofessional and dickish in a professional setting.

PS) This person and this person's subordinate have made system changes that directly affected my system's performance and functionality in a majorly negative way and this person's response was 'welp it's fixed now' without so much as an 'oops' or 'sorry dude my bad' and this person has gone out of his or her way to rub some negative press regarding my company in my co-worker and I's face so my tolerance for this person is about as far as I can throw this person which ain't far because I is a scrawny little bastard.

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Oct 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah but then you're kinda obligated to pull for the Bills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sEHv-iKrYU

Between the Bills, the Sabres and the snow it’s no wonder Buffaloians can drink like fish.