Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

EBB posted:

today i would like to share a slice of my childhood with you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmvXpc58LeI

isn't "dairy store" New English for like a 7-eleven or circle k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

everyone just calls them gas stations. Package Stores are still 100% a thing even though they changed the blue laws 10 years ago in CT and we can buy beer on sunday

yeah, I've heard package store or packie to mean liquor store, but I'm having trouble with "dairy." Makes me think you mean a Wawa

EBB posted:

man stew leonards isn't some little corner store, it's an experience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPWwMBwYojI

ok, so it's an admittedly impressive grocery store

It looks to me like the mega- Asian or Latin groceries you see in southern California cities, but with stuff white people buy

edit: like the Vallarta in Palmdale, or the Seafood City in SD National City

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 4, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
vas get some other job man

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
drat, sorry that didn't work out
hugs bro

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Edit: Food in Boulder is loving bullshit. Colorado is like a loving good restaurant desert. Dever has a couple OK spots but holy poo poo I did not realize how many lightyears New Orleans was ahead of middle america when it comes to food / drinks

amen

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I moved here from San Diego and consider Santiago's literally disgusting

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
The old British version of kitchen nightmares where he'd go around to old mom and pop pubs make them clean their coolers and teach them how to make basic dishes like plain brown gravy or whatever with classic good technique was pretty awesome.

the American one was really less about kitchens and more a reality show about having him disagree with some chef/owner with a weird personality. If I had only ever seen Gordon on American tv, I'd hate him.

how to do scrambled eggs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUP7U5vTMM0

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I know an owner of a failing bar-staraunt and he avoids being there and I think just bleeds money year after year. I can't help but think of the only successful restaurant owner I ever knew, who was basically there every day and all of his children worked there at least a few times a week

I found Amy's Baking Co on Hulu, it is Ep. 1 of Season 6 of Kitchen Nightmares

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

do all 4 for the love of god

real winter tires own and you'll get a few seasons out of a set

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had an '92 toyota pickup 4x4 with the 22RE, and it was a really amazing machine that you could always trust to start and drive over literally any surface you would call a "road," but the Tacoma is a rust-and-plastic garbage pile and it has been from the very first model (i.e. '95 forward)

lol nobody makes reasonable little pickups anymore and we should have all known this country was going straight down the shitpipe when the 90's and 00's truck models came around

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

DoktorLoken posted:

Eat some BBQ or the smorgasbord of great international food Houston apparently has?

I have seen these Vietnamese-Cajun crawfish on tv a couple of times now and I'm dying to try them but lmao I am absolutely not going to Houston if I can help it at all

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

great

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Naked Bear posted:

Pour one out for Mr. Coffee, who today goes to the great big bean field in the sky. :smith:

Jesus man I'm so sorry

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
a couple of my friends from Navy aviation rates got their apprenticeship stuff started or done while in the Navy and turned it into real civilian aircraft maintainer jobs. I think they called them a&p? Anyway there is very likely some legitimate progress towards a professional license for working on aircraft he could make while in the Army

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

How are all your goats and other animals doing?

Post some barnyard animals, goat mon

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Explaination of what that is please?

the neuenprojektkoordinatendertiiplicenstaat

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

gimme

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol the winter weather advisory was pretty crazy

said to expect 4-8 in of snow and wind gusts up to 75mph lolwtf

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'd say it was "dumping" snow for the past hour, but that implies that it was falling towards the ground instead of blasting across the landscape on a path parallel to the ground

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
the democratic people's republic of Boulder

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

bengy81 posted:

Denver to SLC since all the flights were cancelled.

lol sure

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Goddamnit. Hacking up big loving goobers that aren't the usual lung butter. Time to throw a couple beers down, smoke a joint to shake the poo poo in my lungs loose, and hope I wake up feeling fine tomorrow.

saaaammmmee

this awful storm must have brought all kinds of nasty airborne silt-sized and aerosolized sheepshits from all kinds of greeley or worse

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Vasudus posted:

I told my team to never ask me for approval for PTO, just put it on my calendar when they want to take off so I don't go looking like more of a jackass than usual wondering where the hell they are. PTO is earned, PTO is meant to be spent.

Which makes me a huge hypocrite because until this week I was riding the cap for PTO (208 hours) and have no further time planned until like June or something.

going around hat in hand to beg to please take my terminal leave sir was when I knew once and until the end of my days that the military was a poo poo organization not worth being in

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
corned beef owns

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just came back from the Munich Saint Patrick's Day parade, and I almost dare not say it, but it was an even more culturally bizarre experience than the countless Oktoberfests in America

well gimme the highlights, don't leave me hanging here

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's always fun to think I'm almost 35, unemployed with no prospects on the horizon, and struggling to find a $40k/yr job :lol:

I need to just take the GRE and go get a useful degree.

you're not alone, buddy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Wasabi the J posted:

Talk to your doctor about Prednisone, Claritin, and Flonase.

I'm mostly Allergy symptom free for years now.

I had a terrible cold (the flu culture was negative) and finally went to a clinic and a NP sent me off to get Prednisone, an inhaler, and some OTC Claritin etc poo poo. $80 cold pack, but it blasted that bullshit out of my lungs so fast that I think I might trust modern medicine again

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
tomato is very high in glutamates, which make things very tasty

edit:
shakshouka, from the cookbook Zahav:
1/2 cup olive oil
2 onion, chopped
4 bell pepper, sliced
2 tbsp grated lime
6 tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
salt
8 cups tomato puree
1 tbsp sugar
16 large eggs

garnish w/
serrano chile, thinly sliced
fresh cilantro chopped

In a skillet big enough for 16 eggs (lol)
Heat half the olive oil and add the onion, pepper, garlic, lime, paprika, cumin, coriander and salt. Bout 10 min, til the veg are soft but not brown.
Add tomato + sugar and simmer until reduced by 1/3, ~ 10 min. Whisk in remaining olive oil.
Lower heat, crack eggs directly onto top of hot tomato sauce, cover, and cook until whites set but yolks runny, ~5 min.
Top with chiles and cilantro, serve immediately in pan with bread

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 2, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ElMaligno posted:

My dad: Warcriminal or patriot?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Carne asada is kind of hoity toity as street tacos go
What about lengua, cabeza, tripa, etc

I agree with the sentiment that cilantro and onion should be in place of lettuce and cheese, tho

Edit: lol I missed like a page of posts here's a quote so people know what the hell I'm talking about

Water777 posted:

Most street tacos are carne asada, in my experience. Ground chuck and iceberg lettuce with shredded cheddar/monteray jack is north of the border.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Palmdale sucks and all, but I don't remember any armed guards with shotguns at local businesses

prolly been like 6 years since I've been, though

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Stultus Maximus posted:

I got my MS in geology. Field trips were great because "Go camping with a case of beer and baggie of weed" counts as serious scientific work.

Planned stops in my field course on active tectonics included some big warehouse liquor store and a dispensary as we passed through Vegas

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 8, 2019

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

EBB posted:

This time around, if it didn't fit in my sedan it did not go.

I'm in the middle of a massive downsize of my belongings. It's mostly straight-up garbage.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I've got flat feet, too. Plantar fasciitis was making it pretty hard for me to walk first thing in the morning, which has gotten better over the past half a year or so with insoles. I'm pretty afraid to ever try to start running again though, because I worry it will make this issue worse and more painful

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol yeah everybody in my car on my geology field trip saw me cry when I had to mash my feet with a golf ball to get them working again.

I'll probably never run again, b/c the doctor guy I saw for my feet was like "did you start running recently? Up your distance? Running? This came from running."

I'm honestly doing much better, though. Insoles, golf ball, towel stretch, don't run ever.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol if you have to go to some sketchy corner store for a CBD vape cart

In Boulder, there's like

CBD shot in your latte
CBD sweet potato turmeric dog treats
CBD head lice shampoo
CBD carpet shampoo at the car wash
Free range Colorado pastured 14oz ribeye, with CBD compound butter

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Lol it's such a ridiculous craze. It's like weed, but it doesn't work!! Do you wanna rip these dabs? Don't worry, they don't actually get you high.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
There might be a token onesy twosy in Estes, but I know there are a couple in Lyons, nearby.
There are many in Denver. You will see them in any commercial zone.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
they have that already and yes they charge extra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

holocaust bloopers posted:

Denver people:

Any recommendations on where to eat or drink in the city? We're probably spending the 4th in the city to avoid the crowd at Rocky Mountain NP.

The food culture in Colorado is the same as Nebraska or whatever empty prairie you want to think of. Denver is a big enough city that there's some mediocre Indian, Chinese, diner, etc, but every time you ask for food recommendations in Denver or Boulder, people are gonna try to send you to a brewery to eat hamburgers.