Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

Re sugar: I have been terrible this season with sweet snacks, cookies, even chocolate bars which I rarely eat. Now that it's getting whittled down I'm going to try and make an effort to really watch but probably not cut out sugar. It is amazing though, the amount of poo poo junk food I've been eating since the beginning of the month has not resulted in weight gain.. which is probably a testament to the lack of even more calories through alcohol. If I can watch the sweets until the end of the month I'll probably be losing weight.

That's one of the side effects of eliminating sugar... the weight just falls off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Liquid Communism posted:

Quitting sugar soda was a fight and a half for me. Cutting out diet is going to be a nightmare, I get fizzy water cravings.

Flavored soda water, my dude. Like $2 or $3 per 12 pack, in a can, hits that craving, and 0 calories. Buncha different flavors too. I drink probably a 12 pack every 3 days.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Flavored soda water, my dude. Like $2 or $3 per 12 pack, in a can, hits that craving, and 0 calories. Buncha different flavors too. I drink probably a 12 pack every 3 days.

Do you have a particular brand you like? I’ve tried flavored seltzer (polar) and lacroix and it doesn’t really do it for me.

I’ve recently learned about mio flavor enhancer and I’m curious to try it but haven’t really been able to find it anywhere.

I like San pellegrino but it’s not much better than juice, sugar-wise, so it’s not really a good substitute long term.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My wife swears by water with a tablespoon of lemonjuice concentrate for giving her a drink fix. I've never tried it myself but might work well with tonic/sparking water.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do you have a particular brand you like? I’ve tried flavored seltzer (polar) and lacroix and it doesn’t really do it for me.

I’ve recently learned about mio flavor enhancer and I’m curious to try it but haven’t really been able to find it anywhere.

I like San pellegrino but it’s not much better than juice, sugar-wise, so it’s not really a good substitute long term.

Food Lion's house brand is great! Clear American is also good and cheap.

slidebite posted:

My wife swears by water with a tablespoon of lemonjuice concentrate for giving her a drink fix. I've never tried it myself but might work well with tonic/sparking water.

I do this with regular water and lime juice all the time and it definitely scratches the itch.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Still sober, though I really want a drink right now just to de-stress. My depression and anxiety led to me making bad financial decisions to the sum of ~6000 dollars, and my wife (thankfully) found out and I came clean about it. She doesn't want to get divorced (thankfully) and is going to handle the finances (thankfully) since I can't be honest somehow. I am a good person in a lot of ways, but with money and stress I just gently caress it up and found it easier to lie than tell the truth.... and since I don't want to be like that I'm also seeking counseling. I've already reached out to five or six counselors, so hopefully I can connect with one and get on the road to mental healing.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
I stopped drinking after NYE for no particular reason except a mild feeling that perhaps I was drinking too much, not really a NY resolution, it just happened then. On day 12 now and it’s actually been very easy, which probably means that I didn’t have “a problem” before but I may as well keep it up for as long as I feel like it. This is probably my longest dry spell for a couple of years now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

gimpsuitjones posted:

I stopped drinking after NYE for no particular reason except a mild feeling that perhaps I was drinking too much, not really a NY resolution, it just happened then. On day 12 now and it’s actually been very easy, which probably means that I didn’t have “a problem” before but I may as well keep it up for as long as I feel like it. This is probably my longest dry spell for a couple of years now.
That was pretty much my position as well, but I've done this a few times now. No real reason, just decided I wanted to NYE.

I don't think anyone has a "problem" if you drink a few times a week, hell I did for sure, but it is kind of nice not doing it at all. I find I'm not even tempted at this point.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

gimpsuitjones posted:

Same. Got sick on the 28th and haven't felt like drinking since. It's been great.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I don't really feel all that different but since I typically would have 2-3 craft beers every day I assume I'll lose some weight, not that I have a great deal to lose.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

gimpsuitjones posted:

Same. I was slamming back beers on NYE and was thinking "man I'm having to drink way too many of these to be drunk, should take a little break" and so I am. I did the same thing this past September, and it was beneficial. It has also helped me understand new processes at work , by which I mean easier to go from point A to B in spaghetti code. A close friend of mine has to go sober for a while for health reasons, and he has appreciated the fact that someone else is doing it while he is.

I also have the added benefit of some extra money to spend on my cars. I think this winter I'll finally be able to do the suspension refresh my 92 civic needs. Who knows, maybe I'll put a muffler back on it! I won't

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I have found myself still wanting something with a bite to it, but after last week I should buy stock in Trader Joe’s with all the ginger brew I’ve been consuming. Time to find something with less sugar.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I gotta say, now that I’m a few weeks into it, not drinking during the week is getting a lot easier. The first week was rough, coming home from work, and instinctively thinking “nice, time for a drink” and having to actively quiet it but it’s been getting progressively easier, which is reassuring.

I’m not doing a full fledged dry January; I’m still letting myself drink on weekends but I’m going dry on weeknights (including Sundays); the plan was originally just for two weeks, but at this point I feel like I can and should just go for the whole month, gently caress it. It’s been nice not having to stop at the liquor store or do that end-of-night “do I have time for one more drink?” calculation every day.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I sleep better. Like, yeah, a lot of nights I have terrible insomnia and end up laying in bed until 0400 which doesn't happen if I'm drinking, but on the flipside the 3 hours of sleep I do get are amazing quality versus the maybe seven hours of non-sleep I get with alcohol.

No sarcasm - this is literally better.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I don’t actually notice any significant difference to my life not drinking. I sleep the same, energy levels are the same. Saving a bit of money and don’t get the hangovers from the occasional time that I overdo it.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I really, really want to drink today. It's been a poo poo 48 hours. But I won't.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you can get through this you've got some amazing willpower. :)

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Another weekend down. One more and we’ve done it through January!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Same. Sleeps still doing OK but I'm waking up early because of back pain which totally sucks because if it wasn't for that I bet I could sleep 9+ hours.

Other side effect, I've cut back on some junk food intake the past few days (although last night made a massive milkshake and ate a bag of cheezies) and seemed to have lost 5lbs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I don't think I'm going back to drinking for 2019. There's way too many improvements. I think this has become a lifestyle change. 115 days.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am not planning on purposely getting hammered feb 1, but I know i won't stay dry permanently. But, nothing saying I have to drink every other day.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I know I mentioned this in the chat thread, but just had a checkup today. Blood work fantastic, blood pressure down 10 points and weight down 12lbs since last time they officially weighed me in November, but I will guarantee that's all been in the past couple weeks because no way I lost weight in December or the first bit of January. I must admit, I am considering a lifestyle change, but I just enjoy some drinks too much. Maybe my first lovely sleep or hangover will make me reconsider.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

slidebite posted:

...hangover will make me reconsider.

That's what does it for me. I'm all for drinking and having fun, and generally can drink a lot without getting too drunk.

But the next day is also ruined, too. At best, I still feel off and icky. At worst, it's a hangover and not doing much of anything, so I'm wasting a day.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Drinking is borrowing tomorrow's happiness.

And the effect seems to be cumulative. I'm a few years behind. 2019 is gonna be my cleanse year, only a week left of the first month.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So we are getting down to the end of the month. I am not planning on getting hammered and drinking my face off this weekend.....but I might. I am also thinking of stringing this out a bit longer. Undecided.

What about all ewes?

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I’ve had a couple of beers this month but definitely less than usual. Currently haven’t had one in 4 or 5 days. Just in a phase of cutting back rather than cutting off. Not sure that I get enough out of not drinking entirely to stop having the occasional beer forever, don’t really feel or sleep any differently either way. Obviously there are the cost and calorie intake considerations but everything is a compromise in life

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I've not drank any alcohol, but I'm struggling to get my eating back on track. It's slowly moving the right direction, though.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

I’m feeling good, and I feel the benefits a little more each week. I wanna see how it’ll feel to keep going longer.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Let's run this poo poo into the ground! :2bong:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Dadliest Worrier posted:

I’m feeling good, and I feel the benefits a little more each week. I wanna see how it’ll feel to keep going longer.

:emptyquote:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
i failed. will keep failing.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Cage posted:

i failed. will keep failing.

That’s a huge step up from not trying. And eventually, you won’t keep failing.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Each day that you didn't drink but wanted to wasn't a failure. Those were all successes.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I went 20 days out of the gate for this year which for me is insane. Right now I'm drinking once a week, weekenders usually. I'll try and do better, taper to Sundays.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I fell off the wagon a couple times this month, but no more than a beer out with friends and a couple shots of sake while cooking. Calling it a success.

Next month is going to be hell. Quitting soda entirely.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Liquid Communism posted:

Next month is going to be hell. Quitting soda entirely.

RIP

I do la croix but I'm also under no illusions that it's anything other than fizzy water waved in the direction of a lemon. Do you have any plans for a replacement, or is it gonna be cold turkey?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Out of curiosity, what's the aversion to diet sodas? Other than the taste.

To all of you that have fallen off the wagon but wish you didn't, it's not a huge issue. The days you spent sober that would have normally been otherwise are wins. Try again when you feel up to it. :)

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I love diet Dr Pepper, it's my favorite beverage. But there's that connection between some artificial sweeteners and appetite. More correlation than direct causal link, but it helps me sleep more peacefully at night.

Seriously I bought one of those pallets of DDP at Costco one day and it lasted two weeks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I heard that study too. They talked about it on Skeptics's guide a bit. From what I remember it was a one-off and not replicated. Even if it was it's certainly not a large effect or it would have been noticed a long time ago, I personally am not losing any sleep over it.

Diet Dr. Pepper, now that's not something I've tried in years. I used to like a particular brand of diet root beer though, but be darned if I can remember what brand. Hires maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I hope not, I have at least 3 diet cokes a day. Regular soda does taste better but I hate the sugar/sucralose aftertaste so much I almost never do real soda, like 4 12oz a year.