Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Adiabatic posted:

That feeling they're trying to achieve with booze is my feeling sober now. It's hard to explain.

E: 205 days
I'm really happy for you man, that's a big change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Made it though the BBQ today without feeling like I was missing out by being sober.

That is a weird good feeling.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
About to hit May, can't drink this week due to an upcoming surgery but hey that's no longer something I have to put into the "cons" column.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm going to Panama tomorrow. I am coming off a cold right now but I intend to have a few cocktails on holidays. Nothing crazy though. I have had nothing since my business trip the beginning of the month.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Had an actual "just one" on Cinco de mayo with the girlfriend, didn't feel like I was missing out on getting shithoused like normal. I am very proud of myself, don't actually remember having a single drink between now, and over a month ago when The Bullshit happened.

I'm now a model diabetic, gaining on previous max lifts, and honestly all together happier even though à whole lot of bullshit has happened. A good change that I'm going to keep, going forward. Next drink is probably on my anniversary with my wife, we seem to be taking a cruise.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Thanks all for participating in this thread. It's been an inspiration as I've struggled to quit drinking. I've now been almost completely sober for close to six weeks. I haven't had more than 4 light beers in a day since April 14th, excepting a camping trip this weekend where I had 10 beers over the course of 12 hours. I then had a hangover from Hell on Sunday morning. Before then, I was drinking a 1.75L bottle of whiskey about every 4 days, but I haven't had any liquor at all since that last bottle. I pulled some bank records into a spreadsheet last week just to see, and I had spent over $3800 on booze from Jan 2018-April 2019, over $240 a month, and this is just liquor purchases at the State ABC store. More was spent on beer and wine. That's a significant amount of money to go through for no constructive purpose. Since then, I've lost almost 10 pounds, too.

By coincidence, one of my best friends died on May 4th. He was my age (38) and I've known him since 1991. He was on a camping trip and just didn't wake up, leaving behind a two-year-old child and one on the way. I've been using him as an inspiration to make this work out. I had already started but it was a stone-cold wakeup call to get my poo poo in order.

It feels pretty good.

(EDIT:) It damned sure didn't feel good the first two weeks. I didn't go full cold-turkey, but tapered by drinking 3 light beers the first week, 2 the second, then drinking nothing altogether during the week. Still had some withdrawal symptoms, but with a little Benadryl to help me go to sleep, I got through them.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 20, 2019

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Good job!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good for you man. Sorry to hear about your friend, 38 is just too god drat young.

But yep, even without changing literally anything else in your diet, stop drinking and weight will come off and your BP should decline. Throw in some exercise and a not terrible diet, it'll get even better.

e: Also, Panama trip. All inclusive hotel and didn't get hammered. One day I think I had a bit of a buzz going in the late afternoon after several shockingly good Pina Coladas but other than that, I was a pretty good boy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Sorry to hear about your buddy, wallaka, and congrats on getting things under control.

Same boat here. 2 months since my last drink and I haven't gotten drunk since the bowl game I went to last December. Going to be out of town on work's dime all next week, and already working out how to pass on going drinking with my coworkers because nursing a hangover through training doesn't sound fun anymore.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

How is everyone doing?

Had a few social get togethers the past few weeks and indulged a bit. A couple times, more than a bit. Enough that I was a little hungover last weekend. So, since this past Saturday I decided to not drink again for a bit.

And, wouldn't you know it, my training/workouts have been getting "easier", starting to sleep better again, back isn't bothering me as much... and just "feel" more in shape.

Dammit!

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Six months in, still cruising. I don’t feel any need to make a permanent commitment, but I also kinda don’t really have any interest in drinking again. Being out of control sucks, being hung over sucks, and I don’t miss having to manage my consumption.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Had a beer last month because I was sweating my balls off in south Texas and a Shiner with my BBQ sounded like heaven, but otherwise still going good. I think this might be the longest I've been sober since 9/11.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's been a very long time since anyone posted in this thread.

How's everyone doing?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
308 days :coolfish:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
While I have not stuck to a strictly dry year, I've cut my consumption down to 1/10th what it was. I don't mind having a drink, but I don't feel I have to drink either. Overall it's a good place to be right now.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Still going, ain't missing poo poo.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have unfortunately had trouble staying dry but I’m working on it

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

At my new job, I’m The Guy Who Doesn’t Drink. Never saw that coming.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Been pretty good. Not even trying to make a concerted effort at this point, I'm just not indulging and haven't been going to the liquor store to refresh supplies.

Going on holidays in 2 weeks and I guarantee I'll be drinking then, but until then only have a bev or two if circumstances dictate. Thursday after work had a couple, went to a friends place and she had another friend stop by so she opened a bottle of wine and we sat around and bullshitted for a couple hours. Other than that, haven't really.

I really don't miss mornings, especially work mornings after more than a couple. Not what I would exactly call hungover, but just don't feel great.

My tolerance has come down though, after having a couple glasses of wine over at the friends place, I could start to feel it. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

That's a good thing.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
First good news, my liver levels were super badm like continue along this path and lead to an early death bad.

After months of sobriety my liver levels have returned to normal or even better than normal.

I have had relapses and I am on medication to prevent that.

I just don't know what to do about the boredom and loneliness to be honest. My whole life was going out to bars and partying when I didn't have kids. If I was lonely I could go to a local bar and chat up hot chicks or go out with girls or whatever and now nothing.

I have thrown myself into cars and kids and I am getting by but it's just a feeling of is this it? The fun is over? Of course I love doing stuff with the kids and that is a blast but I only have them about 60% of the time. Hardest thing to deal with right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Join a club or try something new man. There is as much to do in life as you want... or don't want. If you want to meet new people that's not going to happen sitting at home.

I took a leap of faith and joined taekwondo just over 2 years ago as a way to help get in shape and meet new people as a side perk. I now legit have an entire new subgroup of friends and quasi family. I'm not saying you should get into martial arts or combat sports, but unless you are super isolated where you live there has to be social poo poo to do which isn't alcohol related.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Today marks 5 years since my last drink.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Not letting this die!

How's everyone doing?

I've definitely had a few drinks since Sept, maybe even a couple nights had more than a few, but for the most part have gone weeks without anything and it's not by going out of my way design, just haven't.

If I do, my tolerance isn't quite up to what it used to be and the few times I have indulged, the next days suck (and sleep quality for that matter) and I certainly do not feel like training/working out which I have a lot of peer and personal pressure to complete.

In other words, I'm OK with having 2-3 nights every month or so, but I don't like the after effects. Still a far cry from getting darn near hammered 2-3 a week previously.

And I physically feel much better/stronger and don't have any desire to slide back to the old norm.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Closing in on a year dry. I had some weird liver hormone levels at my last physical, so I got to spend some time brooding over whether or not my past bad habits had won me a case of liver cancer or cirrhosis, but an ultrasound confirmed I’ve got regular old fatty liver. I’m definitely glad I quit drinking when I did. Now I have to address my liver-wrecking diet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
444 days today!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Lazarus!

People still doing ok? I totally stopped watching my intake over the winter for all intents and purposes, but this whole COVID thing made me realize I was drinking more than I'd like, so made a point of cold turkey again, 2 weeks tomorrow.

Sleeping is starting to improve which takes a while for me, but is finally here.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

slidebite posted:

Lazarus!

People still doing ok? I totally stopped watching my intake over the winter for all intents and purposes, but this whole COVID thing made me realize I was drinking more than I'd like, so made a point of cold turkey again, 2 weeks tomorrow.

Sleeping is starting to improve which takes a while for me, but is finally here.

Unfortunately, no. My anxiety is super bad, and my anxiety/depression medicine’s side effects are terrible, so I stopped taking it (told my doctor, don’t worry). Hot flashes, unrelenting nausea, constipation, and insomnia. I’ve tried 3 and seem to have the same problems on all of them.

I’m not anywhere near I was at my worst, so at least I’ve cut down. I’m not at a place where cold turkey is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Going on 18 months. I felt a little envious of people who were boozing it up early in social distancing, but I stuck it out and now that the weather is warm again, I feel good just getting some sun. Still fat, though. Lots of growing and shrinking left to do.