Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Hello, I'm coolusername, and I have very severe dyscalculia, the maths form of dyslexia. I did an A/T on it a while back, but disability tl;dr: your dog is better at counting if he can tell which pile of treats is bigger.

E/N tl;dr: I broke free of my unhealthy co-dependent helicopter family dynamic by moving across the world and started my very first career after a lifetime of odd jobs, but this has landed me in a situation where I'm only keeping my head above water, when I should be able to save, because I have zero experience with this and the budgeting apps everyone uses I literally can't read.

All numbers will be converted from RMB to USD, rounded and hopefully... right enough.

Income: $1900 (USD) a month. May be getting a pay rise in Feb.
Rent: $520 a month.
Water: $3ish a month.
Electricity: Anywhere from $20 to $60 a month. It's by how much is used and you can pry my heater in winter from my cold dead hands.
Gas: I put $15 on it January last year and it hasn't run out yet so I'll just put this down as N/A.
Internet: I have no idea. I haven't gotten any bills for a year and the internet is.. still here..
Phone: $15 a month. I'm swapping to a plan which should drop it to $9 but on the downside I have to cough up about $120 for a contract upfront.
Food: I'm going to average out to.. about $15 a day. Some days it's under $5 and others it's over $30 so that works, right?? which means... $450 via google calculator maybe send help. A lot of the problem here is that there's some western foods I won't give up for health's sake, like fruit and Real Milk, and a jug of Real Milk is $13.
Other stuff: ???????

CC Debt: $2000
Student debt: a ridiculously high number but I don't have to pay it back until I'm rich.

Goals: I need my CC debt paid off and at least $4000 in liquid cash by the end of the year. Also a very simplified budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I don't know how helpful line-by-lining the budget is going to be if that's not going to be something that clicks for you, so let's start at the end. There's 12 months in the year, you want to pay off $2000 and save $4000. So, that's $6000 over the course of the year. $6000 divided by 12 months is $500 a month. This all makes sense so far, yeah?

Rent, water, electricity, internet, phone -- $600 total(ish)
Food -- $450

That's only $1050, if we add in Savings (toward your goals) -- $500

That's only $1550, you've still got $300+ unaccounted for even after working toward the goal. Probably going to need to figure out where the rest of your money is going (my guess is that you underestimated your food budget because literally every human does that). Would it be possible to import your card activity for december to something like mint and then post the breakout here? I'm tremendously ignorant about dyscalculia, and i apologize--i'd be happy to restate anything that doesn't make sense/work

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Don't worry, it's a tricky thing! I'll just read really carefully and do my best. Using whole, round numbers helps a lot since I switch the positions of numbers (so if you write 35, I'll read 53) and it's harder to gently caress up by moving 0s.

I can't do that because I'm on a Chinese bank account and all my payments go through two different apps. But what I can do is swap to paying only with one app and then I can generate a wheelie thing in a week. Would that work y'think? I'll probably need help once I've done that to break it down in a way that makes sense but that's why I gave in and set this up.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Hold up! I worked out how to do it.

https://imgur.com/a/gICbGs2

That massive spike is me paying my 3 monthly rent. And.. it looks like you're right on the food count? bhg, ole, familymart and wagas are all food places and there's triple that on the takeaway app too.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
No ones reading but some things I changed, for my own records. I realized how much money I was spending on Starbucks and other cafes after looking over my logs and I screamed for solid eight minutes.

I picked up some nice boxes of tea for work. I can have 25 cups of tea for the price of one latte.

I started paying real attention to reflexively ordering a drink with my meal. In some cases my drink was more than the meal itself! So now I drink water with my meal. If I want a cafe latte after that, then I have to think about it and make a deliberate choice. It’s healthier, too. I’m trying to only eat out once a day for lunch, and cheap meals too. Taking food from home isn’t really possible because of difficulties fringing anything at work, but I do take in fruit instead of snacking out.

I’m not going to renew my gym membership. The only way I’m getting another one is if I find a 24 hour gym because nothing is open once I get out of work as it is. I’ve been having more luck doing things like taking the stairs, push ups at home, etc. anyway.

Unexpected uninsured medical costs have knocked out a huge chunk of my months pay, and unfortunately I have a formal obligatory work thing coming up without anything to wear matching the stupid loving clothing requirements, so I have to waste my money buying clothes. But I’ll try to get something I can also wear to work so it’s not a total waste. Still I’m fuming.

Found where some more money’s going. I can’t not get my hair cut or dyed because I have to look professional and my hair is super limp and lifeless without it, but I can save a bit more by not getting my nails done. I can just keep them unpolished until I’ve built savings back up.

Tune in next time to poo poo, where’s my money? The monologue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
sounds like good progress especially on the drinks decision making!

you know they make lunch boxes that keep your food cold, right? every tradesman in the world has one.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

coolusername posted:

Unexpected uninsured medical costs have knocked out a huge chunk of my months pay, and unfortunately I have a formal obligatory work thing coming up without anything to wear matching the stupid loving clothing requirements, so I have to waste my money buying clothes. But I’ll try to get something I can also wear to work so it’s not a total waste. Still I’m fuming.

Found where some more money’s going. I can’t not get my hair cut or dyed because I have to look professional and my hair is super limp and lifeless without it, but I can save a bit more by not getting my nails done. I can just keep them unpolished until I’ve built savings back up.

Tune in next time to poo poo, where’s my money? The monologue.
Guys don't realize how much money it takes to look nice, that's for sure. Still...
A bottle of nail polish for ten bucks will do you fine. ThredUp is a great app for consignment business wear, if your local thrift stores are lacking. I've gotten wool pants and blazers for 5 bucks a pop. edit: never mind, you're in China? I'm sure there are cheaper shops over there...

moana fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 13, 2019

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
OP, do you speak and read Mandarin? Your budget tracking app seems to imply that you do.

You're in China, you should be able to get clothes (even relatively formal businesswear) for cheaper than 10 usd a piece. You have to buy them from the yelly crowded markets where people are elbowing past each other and haggling though, not from the western style clean, well-lit, gentle music malls.

I don't know how doable this is if you've recently moved to China. I'm Chinese and speak some Mandarin but even I have some trouble navigating these markets without a native relative.

Likewise even eating out for lunch daily should be very cheap as long as you're going to local eateries and not chain restaurants and cafes like Starbucks. The summers I've spent in China no one brings lunch, everyone eats at dining halls or local restaurants and it's super cheap.

China, in most of its cities, has multiple tiers of food, clothing, and consumer goods. Street food or restaurants run by one couple-- looks grungy but it's delicious and lunch is 20 rmb. A western-ish mall with its foodcourt, cafes, etc -- 50-100 rmb per meal. Fancy restaurant with private room (sometimes multiple rooms for one party) and private servers-- 500 - basically unlimited rmb.

You're making well over the average income even for Beijing, I think with some limiting of your lunch out budget and digging around for eateries that match that budget you should be okay. Stop using takeout apps, the delivery fee is not doing you any favors. And then let's say you take 20 rmb out with you for lunch and just cannot spend more than that, that'll limit you to 600 rmb a month for lunch, about 100 usd per month which sounds very reasonable. If you spend another 100 usd for breakfast and dinner that you don't eat out and then I'll give you another 100 usd pure food buffer that puts your monthly food budget at approx 300usd or 2000 rmb (round numbers). Consider giving up cows milk, it's not necessary for health, look at all the people around you who aren't drinking it and it seems very expensive. If you can stick to that a heftly amount of budget should free up for debt and savings.

I tried to stick to round numbers for the ballparking, let me know if I've gotten things wrong.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009
I did some more math. With everything you listed in your original post, using my food budget, your monthly basics will cost 900 usd.

You need to save 500 usd monthly to make your goal.

Since your income is 1900 usd, this means you have 500 usd extra after servicing debt/savings and basic living costs.

So, each time you get a paycheck, immediately set aside $500 for your debt/savings.

Then take out $600 for rent and utilities

Then take out $300 for food and put it into 3 buckets, $100 for lunch, $100 for groceries, and $100 for "all other and extra food".

And then you should still have $500 left for everything else, which should be a very comfortable amount of spending money every month for things like salon, clothes, travel, entertainment, etc.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

coolusername posted:

I realized how much money I was spending on Starbucks and other cafes after looking over my logs and I screamed for solid eight minutes.

I picked up some nice boxes of tea for work. I can have 25 cups of tea for the price of one latte.

I started paying real attention to reflexively ordering a drink with my meal. In some cases my drink was more than the meal itself! So now I drink water with my meal. If I want a cafe latte after that, then I have to think about it and make a deliberate choice. It’s healthier, too. I’m trying to only eat out once a day for lunch, and cheap meals too. Taking food from home isn’t really possible because of difficulties fringing anything at work, but I do take in fruit instead of snacking out.
Smart! Some of my coworkers buy drinks 2-3x a day and its just insane. Especially the pretty analytical ones. My prior employers all provided coffee, but my current one didn't until 2016. I hate Starbucks beans so I use to bring my own coffee in a thermos or bring black tea bags. Post 2016, each floor now has Keurigs (which had company-provided kcups from 2016 to mid-2018) and I now spend between $9-13/mo on kcups (averaged, I bought 4 boxes of 100 at Costco when they were on sale over the summer and I am amortizing the expenses out so I can track consumption... #datanerd).

Good call on drinks when out. Water is healthier for you, too.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Like Amara said, if you’re living in China, the best way to save costs is to live as close to “like a native” as possible. Everything for white people and tourists gets a pretty steep markup.

If you’re not willing to sacrifice $13 milk and fresh fruit, that’s understandable, but where do natives get their fruit (milk is rare and you might have to bite the bullet on that price, but lots of people eat fruit)? Are you shopping at the same stores as them?

For clothes, is there any way to borrow/rent an outfit?

What are you eating that costs 75 RMB/day?

If you have any native friends, it might be good to check in with them and see how they source things.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Woah, this blew up. Hi everyone!

- I live in the only city in China without goddamn street food. It's banned by the provincial government for ?? reasons??
and my Mandarin definitely isn't strong enough to hit up the markets.

- However, the majority of my 75 rmb average is/was definitely drinks. Yesterday I spent 36rmb total on food for the day. If I'd had my habitual latte, that would have been 66. The day before I spent... 20rmb on food and 60 on drinks because I went to a bar with some buddies. Most of the time if my total daily food is above 50, it's either me dropping 35-40 on lattes etc., or an invite to a Western restaurant with buddies.

- I can keep ordering food if I pick less Western options. The entire office orders in food, locals included, but they tend to order from smaller local joints whereas I order by poking nice looking pictures and shouting "Hey, will this melt my face off??? la de??" so I'll pay more attention to the brands they shop at.

- The next time the co-workers team up to order groceries I'll get in on that.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

That’s great to hear! Keep us updated! Your salary should be enough to live quite comfortably if you use native stuff instead of white people stuff, so even the other parts of your budget might not need change if you can manage that one adjustment.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Alright, it's a new month and I'm back! I almost forgot but then I saw that crazy Z-guy floating around the other forums and was filled with budgeting inspiration.

Everything will be in RMB because I'm tired of converting. Just... convert in your heads if necessary.

I've got 150 on my public transport card.
My phone is fully charged for the month.
Next rent is due in April.
Internet bill is... still a mystery. I'll chase it up when my landlord's back from holidays.
Next electricity bill is next week, no idea how much it'll be. It could be anywhere between 200 to 600.

I managed to knock out half my pantry bill just by swapping out a few things to their generic Chinese equivalent. I didn't give up my precious milkstuff, but I did find milk for half the price that tastes okay.

You guys got any tips on sorting out some budget categories? Really simple ones.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

coolusername posted:

Alright, it's a new month and I'm back! I almost forgot but then I saw that crazy Z-guy floating around the other forums and was filled with budgeting inspiration.

Everything will be in RMB because I'm tired of converting. Just... convert in your heads if necessary.

I've got 150 on my public transport card.
My phone is fully charged for the month.
Next rent is due in April.
Internet bill is... still a mystery. I'll chase it up when my landlord's back from holidays.
Next electricity bill is next week, no idea how much it'll be. It could be anywhere between 200 to 600.

I managed to knock out half my pantry bill just by swapping out a few things to their generic Chinese equivalent. I didn't give up my precious milkstuff, but I did find milk for half the price that tastes okay.

You guys got any tips on sorting out some budget categories? Really simple ones.

Yeah, people complain about Zaurg because he's an incompetent stubborn moron, but he does great for keeping other goons on the path to financial stability.

The pinned newbies thread or the YNAB thread ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599364 ) can give you examples of other people's budgets and you should steal from them everything that looks useful, but fundamentally a budget is just a plan of how much money you're going to spend (or earmark for future spending) in a given month.

Categories can be simplified by combining multiple things together, but try not to do a weird combination like "I'm gonna combine my eating out expenses with my children's healthcare expenses, so if I eat out too much, my children don't get doctor's appointments", because that's zaurg-level dumb.

The simplest categories I can think of are:
Fixed/Mandatory Costs (with individual line items for your rent, phone, utilities, health insurance, transportation, everything that you have to pay every month and can't do without or can't easily cut down on; many people put retirement savings in this category too)

Monthly Costs (stuff you pay for once a month that can be adjusted for next month if necessary) -- netflix, gym, short-term saving*,

Costs that happen during the month -- food, eating out, entertainment, household expenses, clothes, etc. This is spending you can adjust on the fly, like if you're mid-way through the month and realize you've spent too much on clothes already, or whatever, you can just stop buying new clothes to stay in-budget.

The categories you have in your OP are simple budget categories already. "Other" you can break into household expenses and short-term savings* and whatever else you buy (or leave it as "Other" until you figure it out).

Food should separate drinks/alcohol away from pantry/at-home food, and consider separating restaurants/eating-out as a separate category from it too, if you want.

Once you've got the categories, the next part of budgeting is: "how much money are you going to spend this month, in these categories"? You'll want to look at your previous month's RMB amounts spent and determine a reasonable amount for your next month's RMB spending, based on that (and your goals).

*short-term saving as in "100/month vacation fund that I'm gonna spend as soon as I have enough saved up for a fun vacation" or "100/month because I want a new TV and it'll cost 500". Obviously, you will still want to buy expensive things, and this is how you can save up the money for it if it's something so expensive it can't fit into a single month's budget.

Congrats on cutting down your pantry bill so much! That's fantastic!

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
This might be a question that was covered in your A/T thread, but do you have dyscalculia when you are thinking in Mandarin?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

secular woods sex posted:

This might be a question that was covered in your A/T thread, but do you have dyscalculia when you are thinking in Mandarin?

No worries, if you've got questions I'm happy to answer. My a/t was forever and a username change ago.

Yup, I have the same issues when it comes to counting - worse, actually, because I have to translate what I'm hearing over into English numbers and that doubles my error rate. Fortunately, China runs off electronic pay so i rarely have to handle cash and change, and I've found people pretty chill about poking the numbers in for me.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
… so I adopted a cat

BILLS:

Yearly:
Internet: 600
Gas: N/A yet (Presuming about 50)

Six monthly:
Club fees: 800

Tri-monthly-ish:
Shampoo + conditioner: 99

Bi-monthly:
Electricity: 342
Water: 25
Chinese VPN: 50
Hair dye/cut/etc: 600
Cat food: 100

Monthly(ish):
Mobile phone: 100
Transport: 120
MMO: 90
Western VPN: 90
Interest rates on debt: 120
(Cut out 280 by changing from fancy manicures to nail polish)
Rent: 3600
Litter: 80

One-time:
Work: 50 (extra supplies like new folders and pens, teachers gotta teach)
Cosmetics: 120 rmb for a full set of nail polish + base coat + top coat + some other badly needed generic stuff, this will replace my 280 a month and I imagine I’m not gonna need more for at least six months.
Litter box: 100

Food
Takeaway app: 165… this is a MASSIVE change of at least 500rmb savings! Go me! I stopped ordering in Starbucks, swapped off Western food (50 rmb a pop almost every day) to Chinese food (20 rmb a pop) and made more of an effort to walk places instead of ordering.

… and then I lost track of everything else because I kept eating out and partying, so everything that isn’t the above is probably something like ‘eating out/drinking/both’

Anyway this month so far I’ve spent overall… 6000/13500 looking at my transaction summary and rounding (then add 3600 for rent but it's due every 3 months, so 9600), and 2000ish of that are bills I won’t have to repeat for year/six months/3 months I think?

Changes made include saving 280 in upcoming months on cosmetic stuff and decimating my takeaway costs.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

That’s a great improvement! Congrats on the cat!

I did the math and of the non-monthly bills you have listed, it looks like if you put 1000 into a “bills that happen less than once a month” fund, and put in 1000 more at the start of every month, you should have enough to pay your less-often bills (haircut and electric bill are the big ones, really) out of that account whenever they pop up. I rounded up, too, which can either catch a bill you forgot or be used for nice things later.

For your monthly bills, 4500/month (or 5000/month if easier) into a “monthly bills/expenses” category should take care of those for you, with a little bit of buffer.

This gives you just under 7000 RMB per month for living your life before your savings goal, which is about 40,000 RMB (~$2,000 credit card debt (still, or did that improve) + $4,000 cash).

Your savings goal wants you to pay just about 5000/month to it (I rounded up again, so you have a slight buffer where you can slip a little bit but still be on track to succeed), which looks just barely doable if you work real hard.

How does this sound (accounts ordered by priority):

Every month you move 5,000 into “Account A: monthly bills (including rent).”

Every month you move 1,000 into “Account B: uncommon and rare bills”.

Every month you move 3,000 into “Account C: credit card debt” (this will gradually decrease your interest too).

Every month you move 2,000 into “Account D: I will probably take this back out but only if I run out of money” (try not to run out).

Is that possible, does it sound doable? I’m not sure how your bank feels about making multiple accounts, how often you get paid, or how much you hate logging into your bank website to do transfers.

That gives you 2500/mo remaining if 13500 is always your income, and that’s like 75 RMB/day or something (approx 600 RMB/week).

That is a food/entertainment spending of less than half (is half easy to intuit?) of the 6000 you spent last month.

That’s only eat out for 20 twice a day, every day, and then additionally spend only 100 extra on the weekend. It’s MUCH tighter than you’re currently used to, so expect it to be hard and to run out near the end of the month (stretch it as long as possible) and have to transfer some money back from your “only if i run out of money” fund. That account will eventually be your $4,000 cash savings account.

You’re still spending a lot more than you need to, especially if you’re regularly partying and drinking, but you’ve already improved so much that I think it’s mostly because numbers confuse you real bad and not because you’re actually an idiot about impulse control.

If that suggested budget is doable and you can manage a month with it, you can look into adjusting the numbers more precisely (4,700 instead of 5,000, for example) to give you more spending money the month after.

It’s a more aggressive budget than I’d normally suggest (because your savings goal is aggressive), but I believe in you!

Edit: I think I misread.

If your 6000 INCLUDES the 2000 you just spent on uncommon bills, then cutting from a current ~4000 food/entertainment/misc habit to a goal of ~2500 food/entertainment/misc should be quite doable and you should have a good chunk of this month’s money currently left over that you should use right now to pay down a chunk of your credit card bill (good job!)

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 24, 2019

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I don't believe you got a cat, post adorable pictures

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Colin Mockery posted:

That’s a great improvement! Congrats on the cat!...
Is that possible, does it sound doable? I’m not sure how your bank feels about making multiple accounts, how often you get paid, or how much you hate logging into your bank website to do transfers.

Edit: I think I misread.

If your 6000 INCLUDES the 2000 you just spent on uncommon bills, then cutting from a current ~4000 food/entertainment/misc habit to a goal of ~2500 food/entertainment/misc should be quite doable and you should have a good chunk of this month’s money currently left over that you should use right now to pay down a chunk of your credit card bill (good job!)

Yes, the 6000 includes the 2000 and everything I listed except my rent! It's 6000 over all for everything, then 3600 for my rent. I'm thinking my savings goal might be out of my reach, because I have some important dentist bills coming up and insurance won't cover the whole thing, but let's see...

I can't make multiple accounts (I live in China and so my bank account is sponsored by my work), but what I can probably do is create a budgeting app with those proportions and then base my spending off that?

Cutting down on my entertainment misc will be tough because generally we do the 'food is ordered for the entire table and everyone splits the bill evenly' thing for most of my night adventures, so ordering cheaper stuff won't help (and would stand out very dramatically), or it's set ticket costs, but I have a lot less booked in the upcoming months.

Anyway, upcoming big stuff:

Health:
Dentist bills: unknown. Have to deal with a wonky filling and staining.

Entertainment:
Shadowbringers expansion x2 for 800rmb - buying for myself and a friend. This + my monthly mmo bill will basically cover a lot of my entertainment next couple of months... I don't really buy other video games.

Work:
I'll need suits for job hunting, but this can wait until the second half of the year.

Debt: -$1,710.77 aud
Emergency fund in Aussie account: $500 aud
Current bank account balance: 8000ish RMB.

NOW THE CAT,

The cat is a 5 yo abused kitty cat with no tail, he was found abandoned on the street injured but still docile/people friendly. Right now he lives under my bed, but he pokes his head out to stare at me and accept pets. I'm working on getting the entire body out next...!

I'm fostering until they find him a permanent home.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Beep, how’s it going? How was your February? What about March? Were you able to stash anything for savings?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
It's going much better now! I have 2.6k USD in the bank, after 3 months rent paid and a bunch of yearly bills. I swapped my phone deal out, which is halving my phone bill costs, too.

I'm popping over to Shanghai to go to the cheap tailor market to get suits next week.

End of the month I should have my credit card debt halved!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I will add that my (3 year old and rather battered) phone is kind of breaking, and my headset too. I'll be upgrading it, but I'm going to hope my phone holds out one more month to increase my savings and try to get a more budgety one instead of a flagship.

Anyway, financial status: 28,500rmb - 10800rmb rent for three months = 2.6 USD at the start of this month. Yearly internet bill, social club bill, etc. paid up so I only have my (now halved) phone bill, water and electricity bills.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Brought a nice $100 wireless headphone set instead of a new phone, thus saving me like $800 because my heart cries for the s10. And at least $400 for the s9.

And didn't buy the really expensive bose headset that the sales guy tried on me.

Now I can wait for a big sale to get a new phone since my phone problem is broken jack/volume control.

This is a huge change in my spending! Previous coolusername would have just gone "i deserve the best phone because I work hard and REALLY it's a saving because--"

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Congrats on the smart spending, keep it up dude! The goal is to change and maintain your mindset. The idea is that eventually, you'll get satisfaction from keeping a healthy budget and doing your frivolous spending with 100 percent confidence based on said healthy budget. You'll get there!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I slipped up and started buying coffee again. I was tired, it was a 6 day week, and then, welp. Next thing I know my food budget for a week+ has been 50%: food, 50%: coffee. Some days I'm spending 40 on coffee to 30 on food.

Fuuuck.

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.

coolusername posted:

I slipped up and started buying coffee again. I was tired, it was a 6 day week, and then, welp. Next thing I know my food budget for a week+ has been 50%: food, 50%: coffee. Some days I'm spending 40 on coffee to 30 on food.

Fuuuck.

So I mean, obviously, don't do that.

If you're spending 50% of your weekly budget (or $40 some days? I don't even know how that'd be possible and I drink a literal pot of coffee every day), it sounds like you're getting "froofy" coffees. It might be best not to think of them as coffees, but as desserts (because that's what a venti sugar free vanilla, sugar free raspberry, white chocolate brevee mocha is). That way, instead of running to "grab a coffee," you're running to get a dessert which sounds more absurd. Might be a helpful reframing.

Unless you really are getting like 12 tall drips a day, in which case, uh... I'm actually impressed.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Oh, I'm talking in RMB! So 40 rmb = $6 USD or so.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have an idea for education alternatives

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Sorry, don't really follow Pryor? :question: :question: :question:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Hey, just found this thread. Not much to add yet except good on you for what you've done so far, and moving to China is super cool!

This is probably pretty obviously, but I'll just say, changing behavior is always hard. Don't be too hard on yourself for slipping, just start working on it again.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You seem to be doing well enough except for the lapses of discipline. What works to control that is different for everyone. When you were studying, what motivated you to put your head down in a book and learn? Can you adapt that to your financial situation?

When I work in China, my translator/carer/etc. makes me a lovely sachet coffee which includes both coffee and powdered milk. I imagine they’re quite cheap relative to Starbucks and whilst nowhere near as good, if the caffeine is what you’re after they may be a better option. I’d suggest avoiding cola, since I don’t remember seeing low sugar options very often.

Also if you don’t mind me asking, where are you that banned street markets? That seems crazy. I can’t imagine my weekend benders in Wuhan without nuclear-hot reganmian from some old lady with a street cart at 1:30am. poo poo’s addictive.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Suzhou! I know, it's crazy. Even all the nearby neighbour cities have streetfood but there's none approved here.

Maybe I'll find those satchets on taobao, I'm really just looking for a sugar caffeine hit for my 9 hour hell days.

Trying not to beat myself up too much. I've swapped out a lot of my weaknesses like cheaper water and milk... coffee, though...

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Okay, purchased satchets of instant coffee. Definitely not as tasty as actual coffee, but as caffeinated as required. Hopefully I'll now manage to roll back my coffee related budget slip up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

everywhere in china has access to hot water for tea so just get a french press, a little grinder, and some beans

it will taste better than loving instant and be way cheaper than whatever you buy today

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

everywhere in china has access to hot water for tea so just get a french press, a little grinder, and some beans

it will taste better than loving instant and be way cheaper than whatever you buy today

To be honest, we're not going up against my money so much as my willingness to expend energy on my work day instead of either having soneone hand deliver me coffee or shoving powder in a cup and slumping away.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

If you end up wanting something better than maybe an Aeropress is a reasonable middle-ground investment between quality for the effort

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

coolusername posted:

To be honest, we're not going up against my money so much as my willingness to expend energy on my work day instead of either having soneone hand deliver me coffee or shoving powder in a cup and slumping away.

i find the process of brewing up some coffee to be very relaxing - of course your mileage may vary on that, but i think it's nice to have a little break where i don't stare at a screen and i do something physical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Had to drop $900 on doctors bills.

Thank GOD i took your guys savings advice. If I'd gotten the phone i wouldn't have had the money.