Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
Well shortly before the end of 2018 I got a bug up my rear end and decided to strip almost everything in my two armies, my deathguard were the first thing I'd painted and I've decided I can do better; and my space wolves I did in the standard baby blue which I want to redo in a darker, manlier scheme . I also decided to get an airbrush, so maybe that will speed things up? I'm going to try not to pick up anymore models until I make a decent dent in this pile, unless they bring Russ back which I will purchase immediately with no shame.

My 2019 goals:

Deathguard
These all have at least base coats down

10 plague marines
20 pox walkers
Typhus
Daemon Prince *almost done*
3 Blight Haulers
Bloat drone
Blightspawn
Biologus Putrifier
Chaos Rhino
Mortarion
Leviathan

Space Wolves
These are all stripped and/or not started yet, lol I may be a crazy person

15 Intercessors
15 small marines
10 Hell Blasters
Long fangs (Devastators)
3 Aggressors
6 Inceptors
Anniversary Captain
Gravis Captain
Couple Lt.'s
Wulfen
Thunderwolf Captain
Thunderwolf Calvary
Njall
Ulrik
Runepriest
Venerable Dreadnaught
Leviathan
Murderfang
Redemptor
1 Razorback
Predator
And a Knight in a Pear tree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I just made a list of what I have for Primaris models right now. Came to 3000 points/200 PL (88 models).

1 Primaris Captain
1 Captain
4x Lieutenants
1 Ancient
5x 5-man Intercessor Squad
4x 3-man Inceptor Squad
3x 5-man Reiver Squad
2x Redemptor Dreadnought
2x 3-man Agressor Squad
4x 5-man Hellblaster Squad
1 Repulsor

Yikes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the wings last night and glued them bad boys on.

Weird closet photo because I wanted to prop the wing up overnight.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Alright, I managed to skip the last several years due to laziness, but I need some focus to get through my backlog.

Genestealer Cult:
1x Abominant (half-done)
1x Magus (half-done)
1x Patriarch
20x Genestealers
40x Neophytes
30x Acolytles
4x Aberrants
1x Goliath truck

As the full release will drop soon I'm sure this list is bound to expand, but it's already a daunting amount of tiny dudes.

Death Guard:
1x Tallyman
1x Typhus (half-done)
24x Poxwalkers
7x Plague Marines
1x Myphitic Blight-Hauler

I also need to get a decent lighting setup and work on photography.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Figured I might as well ask in here: I’m hoping to drum up posting in the Sculpting Miniatures thread, (partially so it’s less of a log of my amateur sculpts and practice) and I thought something like a contest or giveaway might get people more willing to participate. What kind of stuff might entice people to give it a try?

I figure online certificates for something like supplies or one of the Miniature Mentor videos might be a good way to start building some momentum there. Partially because I work during all post office hours and suck at getting things in the mail, partially because I never know what people need for their studios.

Theming is also hard - I know that it can be daunting to post work in progress when it’s not particularly good, and I’ve had to overcome that block myself - and restrictive themes might be keep people out. Starting with something basic like “sculpt an addition beyond gap-filling on a miniature” might be a good start for things, as it’s casual enough that people could dip their toes in without feeling like they need to start from scratch.

Any suggestions?

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Since it's a thing, here's everything I painted in 2018 and-

Well it's not much, is it. Still, I only started painting again about halfway through the year, and I enjoyed myself, so maybe this time around there'll be more in store.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ceebees posted:

Still, I only started painting again about halfway through the year, and I enjoyed myself, so maybe this time around there'll be more in store.

That's all that matters.

CyberGeist
Aug 31, 2001
WORTHLESS
Been playing Star Wars Legion off and on in 2018 but also started some kill team action as well.

My goal for 2019 is to get a full 2000 point army to play 8th with and this is what i'm starting with so far

My god bless my stupidity.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

Just to remind myself that I did actually paint a fair amount in 2018

Plus about twice the infantry again in just base colours.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My year in miniatures for 2018 was ok, but much less than I'd hoped to do.

Commission Work

I finished a monster mash Tyranid Army for a client

he's now given me 60 gaunts, so that's going to be fun.

and I painted a gate thing for someone.

Personal work

For this year, I'd like to focus on finishing my Steel Legion, competing a 20 man Cawdor gang, and make a Necromunda table. I've got 2 commission 1500pt armies to do as well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Finished up my Goblin warband for Underworlds. Pretty happy with how they turned out.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The weather finally relented enough for me to finish this squad of Pathfinders i've been working on for about a month!

As a part of my resolution this year, I'm not going to move onto anything else until i've emptied a box of its contents, slapped it together and painted it. Five down, five more (plus drones) to go!

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Been a while since I painted an entire squad. I still have to do bases but I need to research how to do snow interestingly first. Feels a little busy with the sashes, gems and such.. I might not do as much detail work on the next squad, but I'm happy with the color scheme and the transitions.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

that cockpit tint is gorgeous!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Agreed, yeah. I'd love to know how he got that tint fade to go so smoothly.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Kitbashed a Necromancer for my Legion of Nagash. Added some green to tie him in with the Nighthaunt units (just a tiny bit)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
i finished a couple of models today:

Really happy with my primaris chaplain, copied the standard scheme but added my purple shoulder pads.

I'm surprised how well this Trukk turned out. I'm really growing to hate the Trukk kit, the previous one with the FW enclosed cab was annoying but this one was downright infuriating, the half-track took me all day to clean the flash and assemble, and they way it's made you have to assemble it on the chassis, you can't build the tracks off the vehicle to paint them. Then the plastic kit parts don't even fit together correctly, I had to add some plates to hide the fact that the driver is just kinda suspended in the cab because the pegs that are supposed to fit into the floor don't match properly.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
This weeks progress is a mek gun:

I think I am doing some nobs next.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Everything you post for this army makes me happy

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
One down, many, many to go

Deathguard

10 plague marines
20 pox walkers
Typhus
3 Blight Haulers
Bloat drone
Blightspawn
Biologus Putrifier
Chaos Rhino
Mortarion
Leviathan

...and I just realized I forgot to finish the little face on his right arm guard, ah well close enough.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ick.

Looks great! I like the splash of blue in the tabard and red near its midsection. The pallid flesh is a perfect shade to go with the green you've chosen.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DotyManX posted:

Deathguard

10 plague marines
20 pox walkers
Typhus
3 Blight Haulers
Bloat drone
Blightspawn
Biologus Putrifier
Chaos Rhino
Mortarion
Leviathan

...and I just realized I forgot to finish the little face on his right arm guard, ah well close enough.

I do like how you've used the plague drone wings instead of the turbines you tend to see. Not that i mind that conversion, it looks great! It's just so nice to see something different. Job's a good'un!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Irate Tree posted:

I do like how you've used the plague drone wings instead of the turbines you tend to see. Not that i mind that conversion, it looks great! It's just so nice to see something different. Job's a good'un!

Those are the best looking wings I've seen on a Nurgle Prince, it's usually either the turbines or much bigger, more batlike wings. Those ones fit so well with so much of the other symbols.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm building some Adeptus Titanicus stuff at the moment, that's going to be my project for the immediate future.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i built some adeptus titanicus cerastus knights yesterday and thought they were somewhat challenging to build compared to some of the other stuff I've done so far, im pretty new to this hobby though so its probably part because of that

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Got a solid couple of hours before work today to do some painting. Feels good.
Also, all my KR stuff finally showed up.
They somehow managed to miss to pack the case I ordered and only sent the foam. Plus one tray for tau tanks that I most certainly didn't order.
Anyway, their customer support rocks. I sent them an email, and I got the case in under three weeks despite Christmas and new years happening.

E: sat down for a while after work as well, and now all the base colours and a healthy serving of various washes are down.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 10, 2019

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

DotyManX posted:

Deathguard

10 plague marines
20 pox walkers
Typhus
3 Blight Haulers
Bloat drone
Blightspawn
Biologus Putrifier
Chaos Rhino
Mortarion
Leviathan

This is, no joke, my favorite work for this model I’ve ever seen. I think the model is kind of mediocre and most paint jobs are too blurred and messy (in a bad way). The clear distinction between flesh and armor with contrasting hues is doing a world of good. And as noted by others, the fly wings are fantastic.

10/10 great job

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Thanks all for the positive feedback, you're getting my confidence up to start tackling Mortarion.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Not as good as the other stuff going on in this thread but these seven guys represent the first seven miniatures I have ever painted and honestly I am kinda proud with how they turned out. Still have to finish up the bases but C&C is always welcome.

Bob Wins fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 11, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Bob Wins posted:

Not as good as the other stuff going on in this thread but these seven guys represent the first seven miniatures I have ever painted and honestly I am kinda proud with how they turned out. Still have to finish up the bases but C&C is always welcome.

These dudes are a great start!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i built some adeptus titanicus cerastus knights yesterday and thought they were somewhat challenging to build compared to some of the other stuff I've done so far, im pretty new to this hobby though so its probably part because of that

No, it's not just you, the kit is a bit vague on how the carapace fits, and posing the arms can be tricky. The other Knights go together really well, though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

No, it's not just you, the kit is a bit vague on how the carapace fits, and posing the arms can be tricky. The other Knights go together really well, though.

thats nice to hear, I ended up doing the arms and legs in a completely backwards order from what the instructions said because it was hard to figure out a pose like that yeeesh, ended up not super happy with how I glued them but whatever, next time I'll use a putty or something first.

On a slightly more on topic note, man I've got a lot to actually paint, going to finish the reaper guys first and hopefully by the time all of this is done I am reasonably comfortable painting things and I can buy more.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 12, 2019

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Three more guardsmen finished! 24 to go.

It's a bit blown out in the picture, but I'm very happy with the bright blue hair on the left trooper here.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Double post but whatever, last one was 24 hours ago.

I've engineered a proof of concept for Escher heavy weapons teams!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Awesome job.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!
I haven't painted anything in months, but in the last couple weeks I recently got the itch again due to the Tanks starter box set. So here's the most recent thing I completed: a couple of WWII US Sherman tanks from the starter box.

And getting back to the spirit of the thread: I recently played some games of Necromunda, and now I'm currently working on painting up some Chaos Cultists for NM.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
I finished my latest Neophyte Cultist for my GSC kill team. I've got half my squad painted now!

And the latest one (who's head I completely hosed up on)

I also have a Acolyte Hybrid done but no good photo's of him.

When I finish the squad I'll base them all since I prefer batch-basing to doing it after each model.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Painted the next 10 Skeleton Warriors, nothing special painting wise as they're 21-30 out of 40 and when in a block of 40 are worth 7pts each.

Here they are mixed in with the first 10:

Got 10 more assembled with some gravestones and bits on the bases to mix in for a bit of decoration. Before I paint those though, I thought I'd take a break from Skeletons, with some armoured skeletons instead. Followed by a skeleton lord.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Double and cross post

richyp posted:

Paint a Wight King to go with my Skeletons

Trying to up my basing game this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.