Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
thats another question, now that nintendo and microsoft are teaming up for whatever the xbox live streaming games on switch thing is, they could work out the problems they had with splitting money for the goldeneye remaster that killed the projected originally! just have to pay for the rights of course but im sure theyd make money off it

one can dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRRuhviJGMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nonviolent J posted:

anyone else think the kf7 soviet was a pencil gun? i just assumed it was a bond gadget

at least the xbox remaster fixed it

no one thought that. you can see the full gun in the pause menu and also the soldiers shooting you are clearly carrying rifles.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

no one thought that. you can see the full gun in the pause menu and also the soldiers shooting you are clearly carrying rifles.

think back to being 10 years old, imagination run wild

you gently caress

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Nonviolent J posted:

you gently caress

As a kid I was always fascinated by all those random doors to nowhere. I liked to imagine what cool secrets or new hidden guns could be found behind those locked doors that I felt HAD to have a key somewhere.

I also wanted to teleport to whatever mystical land the scientist survivors faded out to when they ran for the exit :spergin:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Nonviolent J posted:

you gently caress

A bond gadget carried by every soldier in a Russian chemical facility :allears: I miss being this innocently naive. I agree about the doors to nowhere stuff, so many gaming magazines would have little articles like THE SECRET ROOM NO ONE KNEW ABOUT - EXPOSED!!! And it would be like 'complete the game in one sitting on 00 Agent without failing any objectives, within 15 minutes, and James 'Goldeneye' Bond will appear in a cutscene to tell you how to open the door. If you don't do any of this right you need to buy a new copy of the game and start again.'

With that said, I never unlocked the Aztec level with Baron Samedi the whole time I owned that game, I seem to remember you had to complete all missions on 00 Agent and it would just unlock autmatically but it never did.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

freakin EPIC!!

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

TheMostFrench posted:

A bond gadget carried by every soldier in a Russian chemical facility :allears: I miss being this innocently naive. I agree about the doors to nowhere stuff, so many gaming magazines would have little articles like THE SECRET ROOM NO ONE KNEW ABOUT - EXPOSED!!! And it would be like 'complete the game in one sitting on 00 Agent without failing any objectives, within 15 minutes, and James 'Goldeneye' Bond will appear in a cutscene to tell you how to open the door. If you don't do any of this right you need to buy a new copy of the game and start again.'

With that said, I never unlocked the Aztec level with Baron Samedi the whole time I owned that game, I seem to remember you had to complete all missions on 00 Agent and it would just unlock autmatically but it never did.

All missions on secret agent was aztec, 00 agent is Egypt with Samedi

If you did that you should have unlocked it so idk

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

TheMostFrench posted:

Nonviolent J posted:

All missions on secret agent was aztec, 00 agent is Egypt with Samedi

If you did that you should have unlocked it so idk

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was basically make sure you did all levels on the hardest difficulty successfully through, all objectives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can't believe Goldeneye is still if not unique, among very few games in that it actually has difficulty changes besides 'Numbers go up' in adding more objectives, so that the easier difficulties are simple enough to get the hang of a mission and enjoy yourself while higher ones involve putting all that to the test.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't believe Goldeneye is still if not unique, among very few games in that it actually has difficulty changes besides 'Numbers go up' in adding more objectives, so that the easier difficulties are simple enough to get the hang of a mission and enjoy yourself while higher ones involve putting all that to the test.

Not entirly unique, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters also had that mission structure :v:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, that’s something I wish would come back but it’s so expensive to make content now that a lot of devs don’t want to spend time and money making stuff that not that many players will see. Which is too bad, it added so much replay value. Perfect Dark did it really well.

Also, did anyone else find all the cheese in perfect dark? There was one piece per level, likely as part of a planned way to unlock cheat codes.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Nonviolent J posted:

anyone else think the kf7 soviet was a pencil gun? i just assumed it was a bond gadget

I knew some kids who thought that. They were the sort of kids who struggled in all aspects of 4th grade.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Same with DSK and DostoveL, I thought gee what idiots, but now I see TV resolution had everything to do with it- the period next to an uppercase i does kind of look like an uppercase L on the wrong screen

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I thought the kf7 Soviet looked like a pencil, but knew that it wasn't a pencil gun. I was in 2nd grade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The weird thing is that it actually looks MORE round than the gun it's based on. Were cylinders easier to render?

I remember people thought the back of the sniper rifle (which replaced the karate chop/slap for melee) looked like a paintbrush.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jGNxTyVH7c

:catstare:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Player's guides are technically obsolete but they were great for games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and were better than scrolling on a phone or computer :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Player's guides are technically obsolete but they were great for games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, and were better than scrolling on a phone or computer :colbert:

I’d still rather have those than a YouTube walkthrough where I have to find the right spot in a shitload of filler.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I’d still rather have those than a YouTube walkthrough where I have to find the right spot in a shitload of filler.

Somewhere in storage I still got some of my N64 tips and tricks/ secret code books that had many of the MortalKombatTrilogy moves & finisher button combos included. It just feels better all around than scrolling a phone or a youtube clip :allears:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
My cousin had both an N64 Gameshark and a Gameshark book that had more codes in it that you could add for more recently released games

being able to walk through doors/not be hit by bullets/move extra fast is what got me all the cheats :pcgaming:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

My cousin had both an N64 Gameshark and a Gameshark book that had more codes in it that you could add for more recently released games

being able to walk through doors/not be hit by bullets/move extra fast is what got me all the cheats :pcgaming:

I had those, but a bunch would make the game poo poo its pants and glitch out at best, hard lock at worst, if you used the wrong cheat combinations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Remember when they released the official guide for FF9 and it was just full of links to their online guide?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Jet Force Gemini was fun, but it took 13 years to amass the bears. Can’t speak for the multiplayer, no friends in the zip code.

Guides are useful for games like Pokemon which have too much information that can’t be referred to on the cart, or games like Zelda for their item location appendices.

BattleCattle fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 24, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

"WWWWWWWWWWWWhat's up, guys, it's ya boy BonerFlag738, comin' at ya today with a brand new video, all about how to get the best times in these CLASSIC games, Goldeneye... and.... Perfect.... Dark. Anyway, before I start, I just want to ask you all if you like what you see, make sure to like, comment, and subscribe to my channel, you can even hit up the little bell there, so you'll be notified THE MOMENT I upload some fresh, hot content, so with all that being SAID... let's do this!"

gently caress, even I'm triggered after all that poo poo. :negative:

Anyway, tag yourself. I'm the slight delay between some words as the person mentally scrambles for what to say next, while still talking.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"WWWWWWWWWWWWhat's up, guys, it's ya boy BonerFlag738, comin' at ya today with a brand new video, all about how to get the best times in these CLASSIC games, Goldeneye... and.... Perfect.... Dark. Anyway, before I start, I just want to ask you all if you like what you see, make sure to like, comment, and subscribe to my channel, you can even hit up the little bell there, so you'll be notified THE MOMENT I upload some fresh, hot content, so with all that being SAID... let's do this!"

gently caress, even I'm triggered after all that poo poo. :negative:

Anyway, tag yourself. I'm the slight delay between some words as the person mentally scrambles for what to say next, while still talking.

The phrase “ya boy” will one day drive me to kill.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I’m the mouse cursor he forgot to hide, attracting the eye of every viewer, but starving for the attention of the creator. Please just put me to the side or something.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Booourns posted:

Remember when they released the official guide for FF9 and it was just full of links to their online guide?

That thing was a piece of poo poo. I remember the website was incredibly slow.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nonviolent J posted:

Well don't know about that but the sniper rifle always looked like a super soaker to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its wild that goldeneye had actual cheat codes in it that nobody discovered until they were released by rare

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jose posted:

its wild that goldeneye had actual cheat codes in it that nobody discovered until they were released by rare

I could be misremembering this as for some other form of media (game or movie or something), but I believe there are STILL things in either GE or PD that haven't been discovered yet.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Goldeneye has a hidden zx spectrum emulator built in to it that no one found for years

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

BattleCattle posted:

I’m the mouse cursor he forgot to hide, attracting the eye of every viewer, but starving for the attention of the creator. Please just put me to the side or something.

stop triggering me :negative:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

I could be misremembering this as for some other form of media (game or movie or something), but I believe there are STILL things in either GE or PD that haven't been discovered yet.

Wouldn't surprise me, there were things in the coin op versions of mortal kombat that didn't get discovered until like two years ago

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Well if they haven't been discovered how would we know

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Thinking about lost codes the way people think about lost movies.

homeless guy
Feb 23, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Line mode is real 2041

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

homeless guy posted:

Well if they haven't been discovered how would we know

I believe a developer from Rare, back in the day, recently said that there's still something missing.

BUT! The more I think about this, the more I'm thinking that I'm confusing what I said for another game. Maybe Fez? I do recall a dev of a game that people were all obsessed over stating something like "there are still uncovered secrets in the game to this day."

Does anyone know what I'm probably referring to?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It could be true. There was a debug mode for SimCity on SNES that was unlocked by a long button combination and nobody knew about it until- 2009 or so? when they put a machine to sniff out any previously unknown content

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

It could be true. There was a debug mode for SimCity on SNES that was unlocked by a long button combination and nobody knew about it until- 2009 or so? when they put a machine to sniff out any previously unknown content

https://tcrf.net/SimCity_(SNES)#Debug_Menu It got found a couple years back because someone bought a random loose cart online that had the cheat activated and with those text strings people were able to figure out the code

https://tcrf.net/Shadowrun_(SNES)#Debug_Room There was also this that went undiscovered until recently too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I love tcrf, pretty sure I've read everything a million times

Goddamn Rare from 94 to 2001 were godlike