Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Sure, why not?

In.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
The Night Train in Calgary, Alberta.
One-thousand two-hundred fourteen words.

I stepped out from an old house lodged between two sky scraping condo units into the dead of night. The house was a fossil of another time, consumed by the ever sprawling city. Staring at the towers gave me vertigo so I looked down and tried to keep myself from puking. I zipped up my leather jacket and walked over to my car, a blacked out civic. It took me three tries to get the key in the hole and I scratched the poo poo out of my paintjob but I make it inside.

I couldn’t believe I was alone, again. I hated being alone. There wasn’t any reason either. I wasn't hideous or dumb. There were girls at the party. I just couldn’t make a move. I don’t know why. It’s probably the anxiety in my gut, the overpowering fear that I'll try and it'll go so badly that they'll all laugh at me. I'd never be able to show my face in the art rock scene again.

I placed my keys into the ignition. I just wanted to race down the wrong side of a highway and smash into a semi truck trailer at speed and dash my brains all over the pavement just in time to blow up everybody’s morning commute. At least then the world would stop for just one loving moment while I got off this sick carnival ride of a life.

I pulled the keys out of the ignition. I hated that I just thought that. I was throwing myself another pity party instead of taking action. If I wasn’t able to ask out a girl I’m not going to have the balls to kill myself and give some old bastard PTSD in the process. I got out of the car and walked to the transit station three blocks over, sat in a glass waiting area, and waited for the next train to pull in.

There was a little heater on the ceiling. I pushed the button for warmth but it sputtered and died. Cold air blasted between the glass panels. I tried to stay warm, but the bench was cold and metal so I waited for my train standing up despite the protests of my gut. The sign said the train is only two minutes away. It said that for thirty minutes before it finally arrived.

The train car had a bendable middle section with plastic seats on either side. There’s one other rider, so I sat on the opposite side of the train and stared out the window at the river. Reflections of the lights from the condos sparkle on the surface of the black water like goldschlager in a torrent of bile getting pumped out of some idiot teenager. The train hummed a control group approved tune and it resumed it's lonely night trek through the empty city. The jolt of inertia sends my guts reeling. I had to cross the river and downtown, then I’d be home.

The train sped out over the river and the new pedestrian bridge came into view. They paid some hotshot German artist millions to put the thing together and it looked like a Chinese finger trap. I'd hate it but that was cliché. Everyone hated it. They even protested city hall and asked them to cut art funding all together. They wanted to let the developers turn the city into a concrete desert to save a couple bucks on income tax. I didn’t want that, but I did wish they'd stop handing out millions to idiots to try to internationalize the cities image instead of building something natural. You couldn't even see the river from inside the pedestrian bridge and since the tunnel-like shape blocked cell service, gangbangers used it to mug people.

“Hey baby fucker!” screamed the guy sitting at the other end of the train car, “I know you from your last life!”

I waved politely at him and got off at the next stop. It's downtown but I figured I'll take the next one instead. I exited out of the train in front of a half burned out neon sign of a stereotypically Italian man that held a slice of pizza and bathed the entire station in red light. It’s the kind of thing that would be totally racist if anybody cared enough to raise a fuss but gently caress it, I’m drunk.

I got inside and the middle aged dude who worked the counter hooked me up with a slice from the spinning carousel. They only had vegetarian left, which wouldn’t be a problem if they had left off the pineapple. I guess it was more of a ‘whatever leftovers we got’ pizza.

I pay the man and look for a seat. There's one other customer, a girl. Woman, I mean. She's facing me. I notice her braided hair, dark skin, and Washington Redskins jacket. She feels my stare and looks up. I usually shy away from eye contact but her gentle brown eyes pulled me into a trance. I smile and sit down in front of her. She gives me a side eye and I realized I must have seemed like the creepiest motherfucker on the planet.

“poo poo, sorry, thought I recognized you,” I said calmly as internally I was desperately trying to think of something to talk about. I thought my head might implode in front her. At that point I hoped it did. At least that would be interesting.

“Oh yeah, from where?” she asked.

“Uuh, the game," I said, pointing at her jacket.

“I'm not a fan,” she replied. poo poo, I thought to myself.

“Oh you reppin' DC?” I asked. She shook her head.

“I'm Native American.” She answered. I mentally kicked myself. No poo poo moron, it was obvious. Or is it actually not obvious and I'm the idiot for thinking that it was just now? My stomach curdles inside of me.

“You don’t find the Redskins offensive?” I asked in a surprise tone that belied my nervousness.

“Why would I?” she said, answering my question with her own and putting me on the spot. I considered for a moment about telling her what I knew of Native American oppression before I realized that was probably the worst idea in the world. I ditched that option. I noticed she hadn’t moved away, laughed at me, or pepper sprayed me, so I figure gently caress it. I thought of the pedestrian bridge and decided I might as well be natural.

“Because they suck!” I said. She had a surprisingly deep laugh, but I liked it. We talked for an hour about our jobs and the pizza. Finally the dude who ran the joint kicked us out into the pale blue early dawn. We were going in different directions, and I don’t know if it was the liquor or the adrenaline but I managed to get her number before she left. I spent the time waiting for a train staring down at my hand and admiring her choppy writing.

Finally I puked all over the train tracks in front of me. I had just enough time to wipe my mouth on my sleeve before the train pulled up in front of me.

The door opened and the train was empty. I was fine with that.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
In

:toxx:

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Chili Jon Space brawl pushed back one last time to sunday.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

SlipUp posted:

Chili Jon Space brawl pushed back one last time to sunday.

Did I say today? I meant tomorrow.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
See archive.

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 30, 2019

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
In. I'm gonna put the action in reaction

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Oh also like a big budget movie that's bombing in test screenings the Space Opera week is pushed back to Saturday for what I assume are extensive rewrites. Don't say santa never got you anything!

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Space opera judgement commencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Chili Jon Space Brawl Judgement

Let's begin.

Chili posted:

Space opera brawl vs. JonJoe

Thrust
2,341 words

I drum my fingers on the expo counter of the mess hall aboard The Volzon while I wait for my order. A thin layer of grease coats my fingers and I wipe them off on my apron. I fidget, as I have countless times, with my sav-all stick. I dance the thin bit of metal up and down my fingers until I hear the click-clack of officer shoes approaching down the adjacent hall. I’ve been reamed out one time too many for playing with the sav-all stick. “It’s a not a toy!” I’ve been told. But, we never see any action on The Volzon, so it mostly seems like one to me.

Not the most exciting hook here.

quote:

“Don’t forget, Fuckstick, the captain likes a dusting of nutmeg on his cocoa. If you don’t get it right, it’s not just your rear end, it’s mine.”

I roll my eyes. It's as if Ensign Jordash, who is sitting down at a nearby booth with a cast around his ankle, blames me for slipping and falling while he was trying to impress a barmaid back at Unzono. I was perfectly content tending to the latrines, but no, he had to go and think with his cock and now I’m the one who has to bring Captain “The Stache” Holloway his nightly cocoa. gently caress me.

It wouldn’t be all that bad if the man I now assist weren’t such an officious shitstain. But, he is, and I don’t need Jordahs telling me that The Stache is particular about his beverages. I learned that firsthand when he tossed his morning coffee at me because it wasn’t acidic enough. 

I like the characters so far.

quote:

They bring out the cocoa after a minute and I top it to the proper specifications--a dollop of heavy whipping cream, a single chocolate chip in the center of said cream, and, of course, the dusting of nutmeg. I neatly place it on my serving tray, jam my earbuds in, and crank up the metal as I head off to the deck. 

Moving from the back to the front of the ship is depressing as poo poo. The Volzon’s air filtration system is top flite. But, to save on power, only the front gets the good stuff. It would have been the holiday season back home, so there’s a hint of orange and cinnamon invading my nose.

Fuckin’ bullshit.

Nicer and nicer it gets. I’m drat certain their piping inane holiday music throughout the speakers on the ship but I’ll never know thanks to the Anon Amarth that’s currently soothing my soul. Finally, I arrive at the door leading to the deck. I don my most professional smile and tilt my hit up towards the holo scanner. It considers me for a moment, and the doors to the bridge slide apart. 

The holiday stuff is a nice touch. Good work weaving in the sounds and smells, really adds to the background, helps the story feel fuller.

quote:

The bridge is impressive, and even if The Volzon is on the most boring conceivable mission,  a jaded prick like me can appreciate the tech behind it. The entirety of the perimeter wall is a fully 3-dimensional screen. Its default presentation is the space behind it, making it seem like it’s one giant window. In reality, there are one-to-one cameras on the outside of the ship, capturing the image of what we should be seeing. Because it’s a screen, scores of the crew sit around it with their own portions segmented off as they attend to poo poo that I certainly can’t understand. They’re all busier than usual, staring intently into their segments.

Up til now it didn't feel very sci-fi but it's getting there now. You don't have to be so specific in describing your sci-fi gadgets, remember ooohhh.... I think it was Orson Scott Card with his great line "The door dilated." Very expressive in like three words.

quote:

I see The Stache standing at the command deck and I trudge up to him. I take out my earbuds, rescrunch the professional smile onto my face and say:

“Your libation, sir.”

Suddenly, all eyes are on me and I realize that I have just interrupted an intense silence in the bridge. The Stache turns to me with fire in his eyes and I wonder what in the gently caress I’ve done wrong now. He doesn’t regard me further though and turns his head forward. I peak out behind his shoulder and I finally realize what I just walked into.

Front and center on the Volzon’s wraparound is Araime Strogonar, the emperor of the Zeytons. The mere mention of this foul creature prickles the hairs on the back of my neck. But, there he is, staring directly at me, seemingly amused by ignorant, and accidental disruption. His deep maroon scaling parts widely around his pitch black eyes as his front pincers wriggle with glee.

The plot has appeared. The descripton of a Zeyton is a little clunky. Maybe try interjecting a comparision of some sort. "His deep maroon... wiggle with glee, like a half-lizard, half-spider."

quote:

“You there!” He shouts.

I drop the cocoa and the mug shatters into shards.

What might be a smile twists on his face. I’m too busy struggling to keep my poo poo inside my rear end to tell. His scales quiver and it seems like he’s amused. 

“Your name?” He asks.

The Stache looks down at me, a cocktail of dread and bewilderment pools in his eyes. What is my name? I… I try to think and I can’t remember. Sweat beads on brow and falls into my eyes. I try my best to recall how I was last addressed.

“Fuckstick, sir.”

lol. Humour is great to help break up exposition.

quote:

The Stache blinks at me and looks back towards Strogonar. Apparently, he’s unfamiliar with our jargon, because he continues to address me as though I said my name was Adam, which it is, of course. I remember that now.

“Fuckstick, I am tired of your captain. I am about to murder him, right where he stands. At that point, you are the only one aboard The Volzon that I will talk to. If you flee from this responsibility, or if anyone dares question your authority as Captain, I will use my Race Laser to shred through The Volzon and kill every last one of you. Do you understand?”

I wonder what the story would have been like if it started here. The story drags a little as fuckstick is getting the coffee and walking through the ship and then it really kicks into gear here.

quote:

The Stache turns his head to look back at me, but as he does he falls limp onto my shoulder. I do my best to catch him, but he’s a big son of a bitch and his uniform is so drat silky his body slips right through my arms and he falls with a thud. I touch my face as I feel a burn on my cheek—a parting gift courtesy of the friction from The Stache’s stache— and I look back towards Strogonar.

“What do you want from me, sir?” I plead.

Strogonar seems more at ease now. He’s speaking more slowly and his plating is unlocking a bit. “I want you, Fuckstick, to represent humanity’s final moments with some honor and dignity. Unlike your previous superior.”

“Final moments, sir?” I ask.

“Yes.” His stare becomes more piercing. “Of course, you had to know this was a possibility.”

I look around me and find that the entire crew has their attention fixed on the screens in front of them, not daring to offer me any assistance or support. But, more importantly, nobody is challenging me. I guess I’m the captain now.

“Sir, space is unknown and dangerous, but I thought our mission was relatively safe, and routine.”

“It was routine, yes. We have watched you ransack and pillage our nursery planet seventeen times. And always, we’ve been at too far a distance to intervene. My kind hoped that your people would stop after they obtained what they needed. We sent messages to your captain, pleading that they leave us be, but they kept coming back for more.”

I sigh, Strogonar notices. “This surprises you?” He asks.

“I’m more embarrassed, sir. I know enough about people to know that getting what you need is only the beginning. We’re all about wants. I was told these missions were necessary, and the thing you don’t understand, and my superiors don’t understand, is that, for humans, getting what we want is always necessary. It’s an unfortunate way of living and you can only really see the consequences of it clearly, if you live in the bottom.”

“The bottom?” He asks.

“Aye.” He seems comfortable with me, so I drop down my formal tone down to something a bit more familiar. I’m hoping there’s a way for me to save my rear end here. “I mostly clean the poo poo on The Volzon. You’re currently talking to the guy who may well be the lowest ranked member aboard this thing.”

His pincers continue to shake with glee. “I had hoped for as much. First I killed the top amongst you and now, you shall be the last human I ever address. Your species is ripe for culling.”

I lean back and place my hands in my pockets. “Y’know?” I pause, pretending to think, feeling some confidence swell within me. “I kinda get it. It’s not as though we treat anything particularly well. We exploited your species, and who knows how many others. And gently caress, we’re barely even good to ourselves. I can see how you might think we deserve to be wiped out.”

“Forgive me, human, but it feels like you’re building to some kind of contradictory point here.”

“Can you blame me for trying?” I ask, flashing my most hammy matinee smile. 

“Go on, human.”

“Thing about us? We don’t give up. Plagues have befallen us, cataclysms have erupted and threatened to wipe us out, time and time again. Yet, we’re still here. We may have had to abandon our home and search for a new one now and again but of all of the species I’ve come to learn about and understand as I’ve traveled around the cosmos, there is something special about humans.”

“Well, if what you say is true, a cutting of my Race Laser should hardly put a dent in your race’s quest for existence. So long, Fuckstick.”

I see him raise a claw towards a lever, I shout out but I know it’s too late.

Wow, great stuff. I was fully enraptured. This really nails the prompt. Very on point for a space opera.

quote:

The heat of the Race Laser emanates from god knows how far away, but it will be on us in moments.

I slam on a button I pray is an intercom. “Sav-All sticks out!” I bark at anyone who is lucky enough to hear. Just in time, too. The white hot laser rends through the bridge and the rest of The Volzon, I brandish my Sav-All stick and pull it apart as I was trained. A thin, impenetrable bubble surrounds me and I watch from the safety of my vessel as a circus of destruction rains down in front of my eyes. Bits of metal and flesh alike swirl about in a dizzying array of terror and in a single moment, there is nothing.

Then, there is everything. 

I'm a sucker for this. (E/N! or N/E I guess.) The checkov's gun works great since the sav-all feels pretty self explainitory. I would've spent a few more words on the destruction of the Volzon. That's your golden opportunity to drop epic words left and right. Smash the screen you talked about earlier. Throw in a little explosive decompression. Talk about the two halves of the ship careening into the ink like you're talking about the titanic. This is longer than your typical flash/slash/short, don't be afraid to go off on a tangient a little bit if something epic is happening!

quote:

Space. As far as I can see. Empty blackness shouts at me with an occasional twinkling of hope off in the distance. There is no more Volzon. A quick scan below me reveals that about a dozen or so of my fellow crewmates heeded my warning in time to protect themselves. I watch as they use their precious, suit-lined, concentrated fuels reserves to push themselves towards one another. 

I flip my com switch on my left breast pocket and breathe a short sigh of relief as I hear the chatter. Scads of profanity and panic fills my ears, but at least it’s not Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree. Our captain is dead, and from the looks of the colors of the jumpers of my remaining crew, nobody above Sergeant survived. 

Strogonar put me in charge just before he damned us to the cold belly of space. It’s my time.

“Quiet down, all of you!” I bellow into the bubble. The lack of echo catches me off guard, crazy tech, this bubble.

A silence falls over the chatter. They were waiting for a leader; they were waiting for me.

Slowing down a bit. I feel like we've reached the climax already and this is a lot of falling action.

quote:

I inhale and gather myself: “This is Captain Fuckstick, grand general of absolutely nothing except for you dozen or so men or women who had the wherewithal to save your skins when the chips were fuckin’ down.”

I look down and see that all of them have found me and are looking up as I continue.

“Switch off your fuel reserves. I’m coming down and we’ll figure this poo poo out.”

I check my gauge on my wrist screen. 97.6% full, enough to carry me about 1.5 AU’s. I spend a drop of it to propel myself to the remaining crew. 

One of the crew switches on their magnalock and pulls me into the center of the huddle. The looks that surround me belong on a poster for anti-anxiety medication. I doubt I look much better, but in a situation like this, everyone is most relieved if they don’t have to lead. I’ll poo poo myself later when I’m not in a sealed bubble. I spend a touch more fuel to slowly rotate myself so that I’m shifting my gaze from soldier to soldier.

“Find a home, stay alive. Your orders are simple, but they’ll be tough to follow.”

Kinda dragging still.

quote:

“But what about Strogonar?” One of them asks.

“He don’t give us a poo poo about us now.” I mean it. As far as Strogonar’s concerned we’re just floating chunks of carbon. He found us because of the Volzon’s embarrassingly large heat signature, we’re but blips on a radar like this.

“Now listen up. We have a mission and that mission is to get somewhere with air so that when our bubbles burst in 200 hours, we won’t die and punch humanity’s last ticket.”

One of the survivors pipes up. “Holy poo poo, it’s just us, isn’t?” He looks at me with his trademark vacancy and only now do I recognize him, it’s Ensign Jordash. He seems to have forgotten that he held rank over me.

“Looks that way. So we find somewhere to land, with air to breathe, water to drink, and things to gently caress I guess.”

It gets a chuckle and I’m thankful that my crew is being easy on me.

“We’ll use the Monson method,” I continue, “and make sure that we rotate our fuel use to get us where we need to go.” 

I check my wrist guide.

“The closest known habitable planet is about 9 AU’s away. We don’t have enough fuel, or water to make it there. But, we’re going for it, understand?”

They all nod.

Fuckin’ right.

Actually the end is really good in that you stop when there could be a whole novel of material after this! Though it made good use of the word limit, it just left a lot of loose threads. Overall your characters and action are on point. The beginning dragged and some of the sci fi descriptors were a little clunky, like the Zeyton and the screen on the bridge. The Sav-all worked well so I would pursue that technique when considering these other sciency doodads. You double spaced your entry, but luckily it is a space entry. It's consistently formatted and that's all I really care about personally.

Onward!

Jon Joe posted:

The Chili Jon Brawl - Space Opera

Regarding Politics Aboard The Warship-Class Trümmelbach
1310 words

Captain Starbeam was in charge, but only nominally. She didn’t really do anything most days, preferring instead to enjoy her free time to the fullest. This left the task of actually running the ship to her second-in-command, Ivan.

An okay opener. Doesn't really hook me but I feel like it sets up the conflict well enough off the bat. Does 'tell' instead of 'show'. You could have this on the bridge when some desicion has to be made ("Evasive manuvers!") and Starbeam is totally on her phone so Ivan has to make the call. Then we would infer the sentence you've actually written ourselves but we get to feel like clever mkonkeys.

quote:

Ivan was very managerial, but not in the micromanaging way. Most crew members liked him, though he wouldn’t hesitate to get on somebody’s rear end for not doing their job. His most frequent arguments were with Captain Starbeam and her partner in lazy crime, ‘Fronz’, the janitor.

More telling instead of showing. I like your names though.

quote:

Fronz wasn’t his real name, which was information only the captain had access to, but she had lost her key card to the ship’s computer system on her first day and never bothered to get a replacement. In order to avoid cleaning, Fronz convinced a ship engineer, Gertrude, to manufacture some cleaning bots. They worked perfectly except that Fronz had to hide that he was using them from Ivan, because they’d be the perfect excuse to fire Fronz.

All of the crew knew about the cleaning bots, in fact. Although they liked Ivan, they weren’t going to get Fronz fired for nothing, since they also liked Fronz. Even Ivan knew about the cleaning bots, or at least enough to suspect their existence, but had no proof to bring to the captain, who was the only person who didn’t know despite how much time she spent with Fronz. She wouldn’t have fired him for it anyway, but having done his diligence Ivan could then go around her and appeal directly to the Greater Collective of Autonomous Fleets with evidence.

Why do they like Fronz? Need more show. Alsodid you just describe the plot to me like it wasa back cover blurb? That's a little... Dry.

quote:

Gertrude didn’t like Fronz, but she had gone along with his plan because who she did like was Captain Starbeam, romantically speaking, and Fronz promised to help matchmake them. Fronz was very bad at matchmaking, and through sheer incompetence managed to land Gertrude a date. With Ivan.

Okay that's funny.

quote:

Ivan didn’t fancy Gertrude and also wasn’t a fan of non-professional relationships, but wanted to let her down gently because he thought she liked him. For help, he visited the ship psychologist, Dr. Yevin.

Also bound by professionalism, Dr. Yevin couldn’t share what she knew about Gertrude, but suggested that Ivan state what he thought and felt directly.

Gertrude played along because she didn’t want Ivan to know she liked Captain Starbeam, but this lead to the spreading of rumor that she really did like him, which in turn lead to Captain Starbeam hearing about those rumors and, in the hangouts with Ivan that Gertrude was now invited to, giving her advice on how to convince him otherwise.

I need dialogue. I need descriptors. I don't know what anybody looks or sounds like, so I'm not overly invested in them. I'm as invested in the characters as I am the cleaning bots.

quote:

Dr. Yevin got to hear how mortified and embarrassed Gertrude was over the misunderstanding. Although she tried to convince her to be more open and direct with her feelings, Gertrude was the shy type. Most of the time, when she wasn’t working, she sat in silence in the corner of the mess hall, by the window where Chord, lead chef, would wordlessly converse with her and then hand her comfort food.

How do they wordlessly converse? Grunts? Body Language? Morse code winks? There is a lot of characters in this and they just all run together.

quote:

Chord didn’t speak much in general, somehow knowing what was on people’s minds and responding accordingly. Some people thought he was a psychic alien disguised as a human, which wasn’t true. He was your average and ordinary psychic human who had escaped experimentation in a secret laboratory and through sheer coincidence ended up aboard the Trümmelbach. He couldn’t read thoughts, but he could read emotions, and prepared food accordingly.

Here we go! This is a truely interesting idea. A psychic chef is the one person who would nailhis dish everytime. Need more Chord!

quote:

The other chef, Kimmel, was an undercover agent trying to recapture the escaped experiment, which she only knew was aboard the ship. But where?

lol nice. Funny stuff.

quote:

Fronz liked Kimmel, romantically speaking, and unlike some people he wasn’t shy about it.

He was her top suspect.

After all, he so perfectly knew how to evoke feelings in her, which clearly could only because of his status as the experiment. Guilt followed by anger would pour out of her every time she fell for one of his romantic gestures, as she remembered what she was dealing with. Still, she had to endure it. For the mission.

I think you have a real talent for coming up with funny situations.

quote:

Coincidentally, a decidedly not-psychic alien was aboard the ship, but it was very good at avoiding detection, and thus unimportant to ship politics save for its tendency to steal objects. On one such occasion it took Dr. Yevin’s computer, with all her important case notes inside. This sent her into a panic and she approached the ship’s security expert, Monitoring AI Model: Kinetic Infrared Luxury License.

MAIM KILL didn’t like being in charge of security, it just wanted to express itself through painting, which was why whenever someone request access to camera logs, it would digitally recreate the images. However, its technique was amateur at best, so Dr. Yevin was left with a stick figure drawing.

She complained to Ivan, who convinced MAIM KILL to access the actual camera logs. In exchange, he would later listen to it talk about art theory.

Due to the aforementioned ability to avoid detection, the alien was not on video. However, shown sneaking into the office was Kimmel, who was trying to gather information on Fronz. The computer had already been stolen by the time she got there, but it was enough evidence for Ivan to approach her.

I've honestly lost the plot a little here. It seems like it's taking a little detour. Luckily MAIM KILL is funny as gently caress.

quote:

Potentially losing her opportunity to spend time with Fr— complete her mission, Kimmel did the only thing she could. She told the truth and asked Ivan to help her find evidence of Fronz’s psychic ability. Although Ivan doubted that Fronz had any kind of ability, he nonetheless wanted remove Fronz from the ship, thus agreed.

Okay back on track plotwise.

quote:

Due to Kimmel and Ivan spending more time together, Captain Starbeam was convinced they were dating, which left her in the precarious situation of breaking the news to both Fronz and Gertrude.

Gertrude cried in frustration, which Captain Starbeam misunderstood. Meanwhile, Fronz became despondent. He hid in his room for a day.

The next day, during a busy lunch time during which most of the ship was present, including Captain Starbeam, Gertrude, Dr. Yevin, Chord, Kimmel, the alien hiding in a vent, and nominally MAIM KILL monitoring the area, Fronz approached Ivan and said, “I admit it.”

Which led to a whole blow up of Kimmel attempting to put Fronz in lasercuffs on the spot as Ivan shouted for the crew to stay back, constructing a plausible lie that Kimmel was an undercover cop and Fronz a wanted criminal. The cleaning bot, which Fronz had brought with him in his jacket as proof of his admittance, fell out during the hullabaloo.

It beeped.

Someone shouted, “He has a bomb!”, which noticeably increased the hullabaloo levels according to MAIM KILL’s internal evaluator.

The only one who could approximate a rough truth of the situation was Chord who, unwilling to let someone else be punished due to a misunderstanding, strained his mind to unlock his full psychic potential. Then he slammed the truth into everyone else’s mind.

It was nearly everything he knew, not just those related to the immediate situation. Everyone knew the feelings and intentions of everyone else.

Dr. Yevin was mortified by the unethical breach of privacy.

Everyone else, though, became much calmer. Even Captain Starbeam, who had just learned of Gertrude’s desires, smiled. Gertrude smiled back.

The alien was not excluded from this. Having just witnessed and felt the massive burden of combined human experience, it thought something along the lines of ‘what the hell is wrong with people’, stuck a claw out from the vent while everyone was distracted, stole the cleaning bot, and scurried away.

Unable to lie to herself any longer, Kimmel renounced her mission, let Chord stay free, and decided to stay with Fronz.

Ivan still wanted to fire him, but the cleaning bot had gone missing, and psychic visions were not considered evidence according to the treaty of the Greater Collective of Autonomous Fleets.

Most importantly, with Ivan’s help, MAIM KILL made marginal artistic progress.

I like chaos and your climax gave me a bit of that. I felt like I was being decribed it by someone who was there rather than actually being there. MAIM KILL kinda saved it. You have funny characters and situations but actually putting them in writing totally fell flat. You need to break this up into like four different scenes that show all the things you're trying to tell me. Lacks the epicness that a Space Opera requires, though I like the idea of political intrigue, the stakes just needed to be higher. I would be so insanely down to read the adventures of Chord and MAIM KILL. I'm kinda mad you put this in my mind and didn't go wild with it.

Judgement

The lonely vessel dropped out of hyperdrive. Electricity sparked across its surfaces as it re-engaged normal space. Before it lay the two planets of the Domoso System. Planet Chili, where spacelings lived and died and tried their best, and planet JonJoe, where a mysterious race hid from view and plotted. Slip disengaged his thrusters and paused for a moment.

Which planet did Lord Thunder command him to destroy again? poo poo.

His hand hovered over the comms for a moment. It was take ages to re-establish parameters across the galaxy. He would be punished for such a lowly mistake.

He would have to choose himself.

Sweat beaded down his face. The fates of worlds rested on his shoulders. He knew some about the inhabitants of planet Chili, but almost nothing of those from planet JonJoe.

He fired his anti-matter missile. His teleporter hummed and the warhead appeared on planet JonJoe.

The force disk from the explosion sheered the planet in two before his very eyes. The molten core of the planet spilled out into space before solidifying, like intestines from one who's been eviserated. The hemispeheres shuddered and dissolved into smaller and smaller rocks as they were propelled into space. The inhabitants of planet Chili saw fire in their skies.

Well, a decision had been made. Slip could only hope it was the right one.

Chili Wins

Thanks to you guys for writing!