Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
I watched this like a week ago and cant remember what kept the monsters out of the blind school. Were the monsters afraid of the birds they kept?

The movie held my attention which is more than I can say for most netflix original things, but obviously didnt hold it very well since I cant really remember much about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
What if there were monsters and you smelled the monsters you turned into a monster I wonder what the monster would smell like

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs

Telebite posted:

Is it actually good? One and two are the only real Hellraiser movies to me so that's why I stopped watching the sequels.

No.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

That would have been a good twist, but they established early on that, cracked or not, seeing the thing makes you wear effed up contact lenses.

I thought the crazies didn't have the evil contact lenses, which is why they let that one guy into the house?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

What if there were monsters and you smelled the monsters you turned into a monster I wonder what the monster would smell like

It would smell like The Happening. That movie is Bird Box, except with smelling.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sunswipe posted:

Just learned that Sandra Bullock has facial treatments involving Korean infant foreskin. The world isn't getting any less weird.

That article reminded me that there is something wrong with the world today. Can't you feel it too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFsOoKAHZg&t=2495s

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

I thought The Ritual was pretty decent as far as Netflix Originals go

The ritual was actually pretty good and it makes me wonder why that didn’t get the push that bird box did

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

The ritual was actually pretty good and it makes me wonder why that didn’t get the push that bird box did

Lack of star power, I imagine. I was debating whether to see Bird Box until I saw Bullock and Malkovich were in it. It's fun when stars do a horror flick

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

That article reminded me that there is something wrong with the world today. Can't you feel it too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gFsOoKAHZg&t=2495s

You know that idea that we could be living in a computer simulation? I'm increasingly tempted to believe that we live in a simulation of Earth's history, and that whatever the people running the sim wanted to know they'd found out by the time we hit 2014. Now we're living in a world where a couple of bored programmers are just loving around with the most ridiculous parameters they can think of. "What if the UK decided to completely gently caress its economy just so it could change the colour of its passports?" "Ooh, how about if a reality TV show conman became President of the United States?"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Lack of star power, I imagine. I was debating whether to see Bird Box until I saw Bullock and Malkovich were in it. It's fun when stars do a horror flick

You’re probably right, now that I think about to star power does mean a lot more than being a better movie when it comes to mass appeal and marketing

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

I watched this like a week ago and cant remember what kept the monsters out of the blind school. Were the monsters afraid of the birds they kept?

I guess it was safe just because it was ‘inside’? Probably worked better in the book, like most of the movie.

Black dude shotgun blasting 2 people blindfolded was sweet though.

I saw the service dog at the blind school at the end I thought this story would have been more fun - I’d watch a sequel that’s about 100% blind humanity using blind service dogs to get around the world.

C+ wouldn’t recommend

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked the movie but it was p weird when she opened the box and those birds were fuckin each other just straight goin to town and she just sits there and watches them for like 45 seconds.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Captain Beans posted:

I guess it was safe just because it was ‘inside’? Probably worked better in the book, like most of the movie.

Yeah, the outside wasn’t really outside it was an indoor garden thing

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

You’re probably right, now that I think about to star power does mean a lot more than being a better movie when it comes to mass appeal and marketing

Yeah, I've watched so much garbage with the lead actor & actress from It Follows

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

The movie held my attention which is more than I can say for most netflix original things, but obviously didnt hold it very well since I cant really remember much about it.

Na I watched it last night and the blind dude said the birds were the early warning system and when they freaked out everyone ran inside to hide.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Why did the birds know? What a random set of rules, especially considering they couldn't follow them strictly.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Drunk Nerds posted:

Why did the birds know? What a random set of rules, especially considering they couldn't follow them strictly.

Who the gently caress knows. The crazy person rule was kinda dumb and weird too. What about the mentally disabled?

Archives
Nov 23, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

Black dude shotgun blasting 2 people blindfolded was sweet though.

I saw the service dog at the blind school at the end I thought this story would have been more fun - I’d watch a sequel that’s about 100% blind humanity using blind service dogs to get around the world.

C+ wouldn’t recommend

Blindess has the plot of everyone on earth going blind and... it doesnt really go that way at all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The black dude was pretty bad rear end but he was entirely too swole after 5 years.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
So, can I please get a few more recommendations for horror movies on Netflix/Prime that are mysteries? I've seen all the promoted stuff (I watch them every day at work), if anyone's got some deep cuts I'd be so grateful. Again, I loved Resolution more than anything else I've seen in the past 5 years

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

This movie is about people trying to avoid watching this movie, and killing themselves when they do.

Some crazy people liked the movie and instead of killing themselves they walk around trying to get other people to watch it.

Overall I rate this movie 3/10

Hairy Busey
Jan 5, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

So, can I please get a few more recommendations for horror movies on Netflix/Prime that are mysteries? I've seen all the promoted stuff (I watch them every day at work), if anyone's got some deep cuts I'd be so grateful. Again, I loved Resolution more than anything else I've seen in the past 5 years

It's a tv show but what about Broadchurch

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Psycho Mantis: Ah, I see you watched Castlevania! You might also like Birdbox.....

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
film was rear end. I loled at the scene in the middle that was just a car advertisement.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm not sure if its on American netflix but the sequel to Resolution, The Endless, is also really cool

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Drunk Nerds posted:

Try Savageland. I don't know if it is on US prime because like netflix, different regions - different availability. It's shot kind of like a mockumentary where something horrific happened on the US-Mexico border and the only witness/suspect is a mexican man who is an amateur photographer. Worth a watch even if it is easy to figure the mystery out.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3899154/

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drunk Nerds posted:

Cuz the name of the movie is Bird Box, can you even read!??

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bird with big dick posted:

I liked the movie but it was p weird when she opened the box and those birds were fuckin each other just straight goin to town and she just sits there and watches them for like 45 seconds.

Amazing username/post combo

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Valko posted:

Try Savageland. I don't know if it is on US prime because like netflix, different regions - different availability. It's shot kind of like a mockumentary where something horrific happened on the US-Mexico border and the only witness/suspect is a mexican man who is an amateur photographer. Worth a watch even if it is easy to figure the mystery out.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3899154/

Its not in US, sucks

Anybody know if there any good browser add ons like Hola which still work with Netflix?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Just watch the mummy, the mummy returns, and the third mummy movie that I don't remember. Fun fact, they don't have the subtitles on so good luck!

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

An episode of Black Mirror about gangstalking the social media consultant who relentlessly promotes a crap movie in bad faith. The episode is called Birb Dox

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

a voice comes through the glory hole

"hey have you seen bird box yet?"

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Caesar Saladin posted:

I'm not sure if its on American netflix but the sequel to Resolution, The Endless, is also really cool

Best part was, I didn't know it was in the same universe until the tape. Freaking made my day.

I'll try Broadchurch and see if I can find Savageland, thanks!

I'll recommend any watchable horror mysteries here, will go over my recentlyt watched (although I watch 2-3 movies a day because the pacing keeps me going right at work, so it'll take a while.) Please let me know if you find any horror mysteries too.

Oh, Congratulations! Is like Jean-Luc Goddard made a paranormal mystery. Decent, once I figured out it wasn't taking itself seriously. I don't remember where I saw it, but I assume Amazon Prime because they have absolutely no quality control and this movie was weird.

PS, anyone reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep, just skip to page 170. You get the whole thing and miss out on nothing, except some cool backstory about the kid from The Shining's messed up life

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
OH! Bottom of the World

If you ever wanted to see someone try to combine Lost Highway with Mulholland Drive, this is it. Borderline watchable, except Jenna Malone really carries it on her back, especially for the last ~20 minutes

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Edgar posted:

Just watch the mummy, the mummy returns, and the third mummy movie that I don't remember. Fun fact, they don't have the subtitles on so good luck!

In the third mummy movie, the chinese general guy is played by the guy who played the main character cannibal psychopath in Untold Story

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What was the actual advertising campaign for this? I only heard of the movie when a friend mentioned she'd watched it, and have seen no ads for it at all. I don't live in the usa, so was the ad campaign mostly there?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Sandra Bullock bullies a fattie and goes on a boat adventure

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

What was the actual advertising campaign for this? I only heard of the movie when a friend mentioned she'd watched it, and have seen no ads for it at all. I don't live in the usa, so was the ad campaign mostly there?

It's been prominent. There was an ad during the late NFL playoff game, today.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Sandra Bullock bullies a fattie and goes on a boat adventure

Lol p. much this.

Also is incredibly lovely to two small children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Laughing Man posted:

It's better than The Happening by far,

Uh, The Happening is possibly the finest unintentional comedy ever made. From start to finish it's funny as gently caress, the very start has bodies falling from scaffolding comically and just continues to miss the serious mark from that point on; case in point the guy in the lion/tiger cage just standing there getting his arms pulled off. Dude who lays down in front of the lawnmower all nonchalant... Bird Box isn't amusing so if anything it's a 2nd rate The Happening and that's a truly loving awful thing.