Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I feel most people conflate an emergency fund and savings. Or just ask if they have both or either or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I feel most people conflate an emergency fund and savings. Or just ask if they have both or either or?

Isn't an emergency fund just a subset of savings?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

An emergency fund needs to be in cash or other highly liquid investments. Long-term savings don't.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

I conflate them because I have neither.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

An emergency fund needs to be in cash or other highly liquid investments. Long-term savings don't.

Long-term savings is also a subset of savings. Retirement accounts, HSAs, emergency funds, that investment account you're putting money into for a mortgage down payment, they're all savings.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

It's a purely semantic distinction. Is the pocket change in my key bowl short term savings? I dunno, probably, but it's not really worth talking about.

From where I sit savings is money you are consciously setting aside for the future (as in, not just money in the checking account you haven't gotten around to spending yet) and an emergency fund is a subset of savings set aside specifically for emergencies.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

twerking on the railroad posted:

If you live in a country with access to SWIFT and you have a bank account, a bank transfer is easier and cheaper.

If you live in a country with access to Paypal/Venmo/whatever, and you cab get a bank account or credit/debit card, that's easier and cheaper.

What's left besides money that needs to be laundered/snuck past currency controls? I know that and cheap electricity was why China used to be big into crypto.

The only times this fails is when someone has an illegal intent on the other side. My cousin wanted to send me money, to then send him money while he lives in bumfuck Cambodia, to dodge taxes, and I told him I'd take no part in it. Like poo poo, how hard is this to understand? At a time when crypto became 3-5x my savings in the bank, I liquidated it to become 3-5x my bank savings. Do the taxes suck? Yes. But it's profits, so whatever.

Outside of this 99% of crypto charges at least around 0.2% of the loving *total* to convert back to fiat. If that's not stupid I don't know what is. And now they're starting propaganda against a cbdc, brought on by
.....the Luna ponzi. So rather than stabilize with government support they'd rather cut off the nose to spite the face.

It's really just people being insanely greedy and desperate for having a thousand possible lotto tickets. Even now some folks I know who got insanely rich are bleeding every day because they never knew what to do with it and are a good scam away from giving it all up to some ponzi.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like it's time to offer them some investment opportunities.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Vahakyla posted:

Does this thread collectively remember the absolute fanfic "I got laid" plus "I used cryptocurrency and it saved my life in South America" travel story of how bitcoin can help all? I tried to find it.

Uh except the guy doesn’t get laid he just jerks off all over the girls 15 year old sister in the middle of the night and gets run out of town

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's really just people being insanely greedy and desperate for having a thousand possible lotto tickets. Even now some folks I know who got insanely rich are bleeding every day because they never knew what to do with it and are a good scam away from giving it all up to some ponzi.

Yes exactly this. The one quality these “poor rubes” share is greed. I’ve got very little sympathy for the woe is me sob story that you didn’t get to harm society as much as you’d hoped.

I think it was this thread that pointed out that people who make risky bets, make risky bets. Those who were successful at getting big $$$ out of crypto are also extremely likely to lose it being less lucky next time. People don’t often win the one bet they ever made, then pack it in and never make a bet again. No, people who tell you about their lucky wins usually have many more losses (or will, eventually).

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

LeafHouse posted:

Uh except the guy doesn’t get laid he just jerks off all over the girls 15 year old sister in the middle of the night and gets run out of town

Lol. Yeah I remembered wrong.

I guess bitcoiners will fall for anything but even they wouldn’t fall for a fellow bitcoiner getting laid.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

This week I found out my husband lost our life savings

quote:

This week I found out that my husband lost all of our life savings, totaling $70,000.

We moved to Toronto for him to pursue a lucrative salary with a finance job in his field. We decided we would set the goal of buying a house, and started a "side hustle" house painting business on the weekends. This business exploded, I quit my job and ran it full-time, and he soon followed. We bought a house - an old one - and spent two years of our lives working our asses off to renovate our house and operate our painting business. It was not a fun two years, it was exhausting, but it was all for the finish line in sight - to have more financial independence. When we sold our house and retired from painting, we made $100,000 and used $30,000 to pay off all of our debts/student loans. After the most fatiguing years, we had finally moved closer to our goal of freedom and financial independence.

We had a strategy and a plan. His knowledge and the experience in the financial markets had proven to be very successful. We were going to set aside a "safety" net of $40,000 and the balance would be for starting our new business, focusing on trading and living cheaply on the road, the nomad life. At first, it was going really, really, really well. He was making trades and we were profiting about $9,000 a month, just making trades on penny stocks and by following trend lines. We went on a cruise, bought a truck, shopped a bit, and moved to Mexico. I would talk to him about having spread sheets, about saving money, tracking gains and losses, about treating it like a "business", and in his confidence he would assure me he knew all of this, was doing it, and I had nothing to worry about. He was taking care of everything, and that's how it appeared.

Flash forward to five months later, when I ask for our online banking password. And I get to hear that dreaded, "I have something to tell you." And we start to work through the story:

His stock plays had turned into options plays. He had been trickle-losing enough on some plays ($100 here, $300 there), that it had added up and surpassed his gains. But in his arrogance, because of the wins he had, he was making bigger options plays ($800 here, $1500 there). The stocks that made money, he would hold because of his greediness, thinking they would go up more. But they would go down, and he'd never cashed out. Then corona virus news hit, and the markets had a tailspin. Our portfolio went down $10,000. He panicked. He traded more to try and get out of it. He took $20,000 from our credit line. He took $23,000 from our savings.
What did she learn?

quote:

When we would do things like live in a house flip, that was a sacrifice we were making for our future, to create wealth. Actually, right now we are sleeping on a mattress because I was too cheap to buy a bed frame in Mexico. You can't imagine the stark reality of the sacrifices I am making in our present living situation, just for the sake of living cheaply, to generate more wealth. Now, I don't really have plans. I have a short-term goal of finding a job, and a rental.
Life should be about how to spend/share your time each day. When I look around in my surroundings, I don't WANT to make sacrifices in my present for some elusive future I may never even achieve.
In the comments

quote:

yes he was qualified to trade but already we have learned that his business and financial markets acumen did not translate into personal trading because he does not have enough emotional intelligence. We have gone through all his trades and we are writing a playbook and strategy for trading in the future. We will trade and budget together, for one, and stay away from trading options. We are thinking we will invest in travel/hospitality stocks (not a lot) while they are low in the coming months, when we are on our feet and fully employed. Just hold them until the economy recovers.
Posted in March 2020 :allears:

Switchback fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 30, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait I’m confused was it a painting business or did they just paint the house they renovated?

Because I don’t understand why they stopped the business when they flipped the house. It just seems like a massive waste of time

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait I’m confused was it a painting business or did they just paint the house they renovated?

Because I don’t understand why they stopped the business when they flipped the house. It just seems like a massive waste of time

It seems like their goal was to be -*dIgItAl NoMaDs*- while the husband used his awesome day trading skills to make enough money to live on until they could start their next guaranteed money-making business.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

The numbers generally seem two orders of magnitude off what would make sense. They ran a home renovation and painting business for two years with a net income of $100k? (ok, that's actually probably typical) They were planning on retiring on $70k, using $30k to generate 3,600% annual returns to fund their retirement?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The numbers generally seem two orders of magnitude off what would make sense. They ran a home renovation and painting business for two years with a net income of $100k? (ok, that's actually probably typical) They were planning on retiring on $70k, using $30k to generate 3,600% annual returns to fund their retirement?

That’s what makes it confusing, any halfway decent finance job would make that in like a year?

So it seems they lost money on that endeavor?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
my sense is that they wanted to live some kind of nomad fire lifestyle, so they closed/soldoff the business when they hit their number, but that number was laughably low and their success was predicated on the husband being able to continually turn straw into gold with penny stocks for the rest of their life

also i'm kind of skeptical that they were running an actual successful business rather than some kind of weird grind-core lifestyle on an app like taskrabbit

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could the problem really be flawed math from the guy pursuing a lucrative salary in finance while also daytrading and painting houses?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, none of those numbers add up. They sold a house and apparently just stopped running a money making painting business instead of selling it? It definitely seems like they were doing gig work and not running a real business. Husband’s job must not have been that lucrative if he quit to paint for a living. After it was all said and done, they managed to eek out what should’ve been one year’s salary over a period of two years. BWM decisions from start to finish.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Redditor graduates from Harvard Law and quits biglaw job to make art

"Art" in question

How do you not feel bad about setting $300k on fire?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Having a number of friends and family members in various corners of the business and listening to their stories for about 30 years I can't really blame anyone for quitting law at any point in the engagement. Best not to start at all, but better to step off now than to hate your life when you're halfway through. :rip: those loans though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Midjack posted:

Having a number of friends and family members in various corners of the business and listening to their stories for about 30 years I can't really blame anyone for quitting law at any point in the engagement. Best not to start at all, but better to step off now than to hate your life when you're halfway through. :rip: those loans though.

Loans? She went to HLS and then decided to make “art.”

Loans? What does your heart tell you?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, none of those numbers add up. They sold a house and apparently just stopped running a money making painting business instead of selling it? It definitely seems like they were doing gig work and not running a real business. Husband’s job must not have been that lucrative if he quit to paint for a living. After it was all said and done, they managed to eek out what should’ve been one year’s salary over a period of two years. BWM decisions from start to finish.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the painting business is "he paints in exchange for money" rather than the sort of business you can actually sell

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I don’t think that guy was really good at his finance job…

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

You could always get a different job though. Having a JD could get you some other professional job instead of working on crappy art.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

You could always get a different job though. Having a JD could get you some other professional job instead of working on crappy art.

Would any non-legal job process care about the JD? Seems like it would check the same box as any random BA for most office positions.

Come to think of it, if I came across a resume with a Harvard JD, I would be wondering if they were disbarred or something to be applying for something that didn't require their expensive, specialized degree. They might get an interview just out of curiosity.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 31, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

There are a few jobs where a non-bar holding JD is a nice add on but yeah for the most part it’s a big shrug. I’ve worked alongside a JD like that in a data entry job I did did as a short term thing when I needed money.

Dude bailed after graduating because his family basically pressured him into it and he hates lawyers. Was a hosed up guy.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Would any non-legal job process care about the JD? Seems like it would check the same box as any random BA for most office positions.

Come to think of it, if I came across a resume with a Harvard JD, I would be wondering if they were disbarred or something to be applying for something that didn't require their expensive, specialized degree. They might get an interview just out of curiosity.

You know, just for the sake of argument, I would actually be interested in someone with an appropriate JD in, say, environmental law or water law in the various consulting/"adaptation" work I do. I could see someone with a lot of knowledge of those fields getting burnt out and deciding they want to go raise hell somewhere a bit less stable.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Lol. Yeah I remembered wrong.

I guess bitcoiners will fall for anything but even they wouldn’t fall for a fellow bitcoiner getting laid.

Those Brazilian Wank Memoirs were a hell of a ride :stonk:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Those Brazilian Wank Memoirs were a hell of a ride :stonk:

Brazil.txt claims another one.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Fasdar posted:

You know, just for the sake of argument, I would actually be interested in someone with an appropriate JD in, say, environmental law or water law in the various consulting/"adaptation" work I do. I could see someone with a lot of knowledge of those fields getting burnt out and deciding they want to go raise hell somewhere a bit less stable.
Law school teaches none of that stuff though.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 31, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nirvikalpa posted:

a JD doesn't help you get a job that is not being a lawyer and tends to be a net negative for any non-lawyer job

however there are a lot of very smart people who are very burned the gently caress out on being a lawyer that transitioned to other jobs and people assume the JD helped them get it (and the people may suggest it did): it is not true.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

Getting a JD at Harvard Law is what you do in your spare time while not making ivy league connections which is how you make the real money when one of your college buddies' dad who's an executive at some fortune 500 company can just drop your resume on some hiring manager's inbox.

Well unless you spent the whole time discovering shrooms and doing art I suppose

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's a purely semantic distinction. Is the pocket change in my key bowl short term savings? I dunno, probably, but it's not really worth talking about.

From where I sit savings is money you are consciously setting aside for the future (as in, not just money in the checking account you haven't gotten around to spending yet) and an emergency fund is a subset of savings set aside specifically for emergencies.

I've only recently had enough saved to consider putting some away where I can't get at it in a hurry if needed.

But I've just blown more than half of it on getting the house double-glazed instead; seems like the investment with the best returns in present circumstances.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

I've only recently had enough saved to consider putting some away where I can't get at it in a hurry if needed.

But I've just blown more than half of it on getting the house double-glazed instead; seems like the investment with the best returns in present circumstances.

If you own your home, you have access to a HELOC if you really need it. Your mortgage payment is sort of a way of saving, provided housing prices don't take a dive.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ham Equity posted:

If you own your home, you have access to a HELOC if you really need it. Your mortgage payment is sort of a way of saving, provided housing prices don't take a dive.

HELOCs as such aren't a big thing in the UK yet AFAIK, but yeah I own, and I live in a bit of London that's rocketed since I bought thanks to new transport links so I've got home equity out the wazoo. Which will be handy if I'm ever desperate.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
One-Third of Americans Making $250,000 Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck, Survey Finds

(actually this is mostly bad with living in very high cost of living areas, but still yikes)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Ham Equity posted:

eh, lenders willingness to extend a heloc shouldn't necessarily be relied on to be there in an emergency. following the great financial crash, banks were decreasing or canceling helocs for owners who still had positive equity

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Rich people living "paycheck to paycheck" are almost certainly using it to mean "after fully funding my IRA and 401(k) and paying for all my cool rich person things (private school for kids, ski vacations, his-n-hers leased BMWs, etc.) there just isn't a whole lot left at the end of the month".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

drk posted:

One-Third of Americans Making $250,000 Live Paycheck-to-Paycheck, Survey Finds

(actually this is mostly bad with living in very high cost of living areas, but still yikes)

quote:

Housing expenses, which typically take up large chunks of the budgets of wealthier people, have skyrocketed during the pandemic. For example in Orange County, California, a top-tier home cost $1.7 million in April, up from $1.2 million in February 2020, based on Zillow Group Inc. data. A mortgage on that house, assuming a 20% down payment, would cost about $100,000 per year. That’s 40% of a $250,000 annual pre-tax income.

:psyduck:

These articles are written by an intern, aren't they?