Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
> Then when he powered it on again, there was a rod knocking. Well, of course there is, if you just let it run like that??
> I did NOT have a rod knocking. I know what a thrown rod sounds like. This sounded more like something fell out of sync, and I possibly needed a new timing chain or what have you.

Rod knock and a thrown rod are different, and her confusing the two but taking umbrage with the mechanic's work gets my goat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hello, crossposting from the shitcoin thread

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-03/tesla-stock-on-a-blockchain-offers-hint-of-where-crypto-s-headed

A digital exchange opening next week will enable investors to trade in companies including Apple Inc., Facebook Inc. and Tesla Inc. outside of the U.S. even when the stock markets are closed.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Murderball posted:

Hello, crossposting from the shitcoin thread

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-03/tesla-stock-on-a-blockchain-offers-hint-of-where-crypto-s-headed

A digital exchange opening next week will enable investors to trade in companies including Apple Inc., Facebook Inc. and Tesla Inc. outside of the U.S. even when the stock markets are closed.
If only day trading could be made to involve another middleman and be made less secure, while removing the ability to actually own the asset, all outside the influence of any relevant regulatory body.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Murderball posted:

Facebook/Instagram, Netflix, Google, Apple, Tesla (FINGAT)

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
At blockchain, lost FINGAT

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Motronic posted:

Weekly Motel Sinkhole. (self.personalfinance)

submitted 18 minutes ago by smolphish

https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/ac9rey/weekly_motel_sinkhole/

Dyingmiddleamerica.txt

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

If the husband is referring to assisted living, $6-8K per month sounds about right. Old folks homes are crazy expensive.

that is worse than the cost of college :(

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Foma posted:

that is worse than the cost of college :(

It's more expensive to have a CNA check your diaper than having your RA check for weed

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I got a personal story for you chaps. My FIL is insanely bad with money, he's motto is "you have to spend money to make money" so he takes out loans for no purpose other than having a loan... yeah.

So my partner has what essentially amounts to a loan from her country's government for her postgraduate studies. If she completes milestones, the loan amount reduces accordingly. Completing her studies, return back to the country, finding a job are all milestones. We decided that her working in Australia makes more financially sense compared to going back to South America and finding a job that pays little. She's been working her rear end off, saving a large junk of her pay. Overall she has been GWM to pay off the debt ASAP before the loan matures (She's has about 80% saved up already) .

All is well, until she gets a call from her dad. He took out 50k (AUD equivalent) @ 12% secured (with the house as collateral) loan on a whim and hinted strongly that it was her responsibility. Somehow in his head, this was a good deal. He was literally walking towards the mall when some rear end in a top hat approached him handing out flyers for a loan, he walked in and after a few forms he was approved. The real laugh out loud bit was the loan amount did not even cover the the debt and we could have easily gotten a much better unsecured loan in Australia.

My partner had a mental breakdown in car as she told me all of this. The job was wearing her down, the travel was 2hrs/day, she was working weekends and on top of all this, she had to take on this loan, forcing her to continue in this line of work even though she wanted out. It was absolutely hosed that her father would take out a loan when he was so close to retiring. If she didn't take on the loan, he would have to continue working. Except he has health problems that are affecting his work. I insisted my partner NOT take on the loan, no matter what as it set a precedent for her parents to do dumb poo poo willynilly and to drop the heaping pile of stinky poo poo in her lap. She's the only one of her sisters that works so the responsibility will eventually fall on her for anything financial related to her parents (i.e. retirement).

The story has a happy ending, somehow through diplomacy and talking to her mother, the loan was cancelled, money returned and there are no more debts. He retires 2 months later (i.e. THIS WEEK), due to new taxation rules make it impossible to work at his age when he has a pension. I still have no idea wtf he was thinking.

I've discussed my family on here a few times, they're on the other "debt" spectrum: they don't take or deal with anything interest related.

Family: always forever bad with money.

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 4, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Why in the world would anyone think she would take on a loan she didn't request or sign for, in a country she's not even present in? :stonk:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Dik Hz posted:

I just want to remind everyone about the 2018 Industrial Security Clearance Decisions, which are a matter of public record. Truly some bad-with-money gems. When this thread gets derailed, it's a great source or re-railing content.

Also, per apparent thread rules, can we ban the person who got the last word on the 2018 thread? Asking for a friend.

Yeah the Security Clearances are fascinating. I haven’t seen any crypto related denials yet, but I imagine they’ll take a while to work their way up to the appeals court.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
GWM Church, honestly. When being tax exempt isn't enough.

TX - It seems I did not learn my lesson and did more tech work for a church. They took 10 percent out of what they owed me as a tithe.
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/acawpg/tx_it_seems_i_did_not_learn_my_lesson_and_did/

quote:

I posted a year or so ago about doing tech work for a church. Well I am back again with another issue.

Very large church in, east of Dallas and West of Shreveport, Texas built a new facility. I was contracted to furnish 300 PC systems, set up a domain, establish security procedures and protocols, move the exchange server, and set up every church employee/volunteer with email. Train permanent tech on procedures for terminating and activating new accounts and maintaining systems.

On no less than 7 occasions did they ask me to donate my work, donate equipment, pay a tithe to the church, or simply do it out of the kindness of my heart. My response to each of these requests was. "Did the contracting companies, the plumbers, HVAC techs, and electricians tithe, donate work, or simply work out of the kindness of their hearts?" Answer was always no or "I will have to check but I think so."

This required 5 people and 2 weeks to accomplish the preliminary work. All equipment was procured by my company and reimbursed by the church in full. Another week to train up their guy.

However when it came time for paying the employees it goes like this. Church pays me, I pay the employees. When labor costs were calculated and submitted I received a check for the full amount minus 10 percent as a tithe.

Obviously I have to pay the other five people what I promised them. I have done this, but I am now out a little under 2k what I am owed. Since this is contract work this is 2k I am being taxed on that I am not seeing. Suing this church is out of the question as many of my regular customers are members of this church. This would be shooting myself in the foot basically. To give you an idea, I periodically show up to this church because these customers only deal with like religioned individuals.

My question would be if anyone knows the relevant laws regarding this kind of thing. I never agreed to the tithe and the church office is trying to smile it all away as not a big deal. Nearly two thousand dollars is a big frickin deal considering this is the biggest job I had all year last year.

What laws are they violating by making unauthorized deductions. I plan on going to them and stating that my "management company," IE my wife, is demanding the extra money owed.

I already have a litany of bible verses that have made the deacon in charge of payment laugh at me. Now I just want to come back with something a little less threatening than "I will sue you."

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

canyoneer posted:

You'd think a painter would understand the importance of a good taper

Booooooooooooo

nice one

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

quote:

Applicant used marijuana on numerous occasions after having been granted a security clearance in 2001~2003. He also used it about 200 times, including the night before his hearing.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Applicant used marijuana on numerous occasions after having been granted a security clearance in 2001~2003. He also used it about 420 times, including the night before his hearing.
A travesty this wasn't the case.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Hoodwinker posted:

A travesty this wasn't the case.

A travesty that this means anything to the government at all.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here's a doozy.

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2018/16-03658.h1.pdf posted:

In July 2004, Applicant purchased a home for about $1.2 million and financed the purchase with a 90-10 loan package that consisted of a first mortgage with SOR creditor 1.c ($958,400) and a purchase money mortgage to cover the required 10% down payment on the home with SOR creditor 1.a ($120,829). (GEs 2-5 and 7 and AEs B-Cand M; Tr. 42-43, 57-58) The interest rate agreed to by Applicant on the promissory note and first trust deed was an adjustable rate of $4.8% for five years after which the rate would be adjusted upwards by 2.5%. (AE M) At the time of his purchase, Applicant was netting a little over $80,000 a year and reported a net worth of $23,000, but still claimed he could afford the combined mortgage payments of $4,300 a month ($51,600 annually) on the two mortgages. (Tr. 57-58, 79)

With over 60 per cent of his annual income committed to his mortgages,[/b] Applicant left little margin for covering his other expenses with his home financing and willingly assumed the heavy mortgage debts with the hope of gaining asset value with expected appreciation of the property. (Tr. 79-81) From the beginning, he relied on high-risk financing instruments that with his limited resources left him acutely vulnerable to major shifts in market conditions.

Shortly after their purchase, Applicant’s current wife sold her townhouse for about $470,000, making a profit of around $200,000 on the sale. (Tr. 75) She and Applicant used $100,000 of the sale proceeds to buy expensive furniture for their home. (Tr. 61-62,75-76)

quote:

Besides Applicant’s first mortgage debt with SOR creditor 1.c, he has an outstanding second mortgage with SOR creditor 1.a in default and unresolved. He has made no payments on this loan since 2009 and currently owes over $120,000 on this
purchase money loan. (GEs 3-4) Although the debt no longer appears on Applicant’s credit reports (AEs G-J) and is the result of a non-recourse loan, now dead for lack of equity according to Applicant’s information received from SOR creditor 1.a, it remains delinquent behind the first mortgagee’s interest and unresolved. (GEs 2-3 and 6; Tr. 40-43, 72-74)

By Applicant’s estimates, his property is worth in excess of $1.335 million and on paper is quite likely to support the satisfaction of both his first and second mortgage debts should either creditor elect to foreclose. (GEs 2-7 and AE M; Tr. 103) Whether charged off for statute of limitations reasons, for the lack of projected security interest in the property, or for other technical reasons not involving payment, the debt remains outstanding and a legal obligation (past or present) that Applicant has declined to address since 2009. Notwithstanding his withholding monthly payments on this debt, he continues to live in the house while saving over $50,000 in annual payments on this purchase money mortgage.

Applicant has a third debt listed in the SOR (SOR debt ¶ 1.b) that he has failed to address to date. This debt is a credit card debt with the same lender that initially financed Applicant’s home purchase with a first mortgage. This admitted debt remains outstanding and unresolved.

Applicant currently earns $200,000 a year as a base salary, with an annual 20 per cent bonus of $40,000, for a total annual compensation of $240,000. (AE K). It is unclear what additional income his wife earns.

quote:

Analysis

Security concerns are raised over Applicant’s accumulation of two delinquent mortgage debts exceeding $520,000 in the aggregate and a credit card debt approximating $11,972. Applicant’s two mortgage debts relate to a defaulted first mortgage listed in his credit reports as a past-due $978,400 debt and a charged-off second mortgage debt totaling $120,829. His first mortgage is the subject of a series of complaints brought in state and federal courts over denied loan modification, the last of which remains pending.

quote:

Applicant’s cited extenuating circumstances (i.e., medical issues requiring his time commitments for caring for his mother, his wife’s erosion of income during the economic downturn that impacted her business in 2008-2010, and his mortgagee’s failure to approve his loan modification request) provide some mitigation credit for his initial withholding of mortgage payments on both mortgages. Based on his cited circumstances, MC ¶ 20(b), “the conditions that resulted in the financial problem were largely beyond the person’s control (e.g., loss of employment, a business downturn, unexpected medical emergency, or a death, divorce or separation), and the individual acted responsibly under the circumstances,” has some application to Applicant’s situation.

However, Applicant has continued to withhold mortgage payments from both mortgagees for over nine years without escrowing any of the withheld mortgage payments, saving over $400,000 in the process while continuing to reside in the house and benefit from increased appreciation in the property. Offered options by SOR creditor 1.c to Applicant following the creditor’s denial of Applicant’s application for loan modification in January 2018 were never accepted by Applicant.

quote:

Overall, Applicant’s actions to date in addressing his finances reflect too little evidence of restored financial responsibility and judgment to overcome reasonable doubts about his trustworthiness, reliability, and ability to protect classified information or occupy a sensitive position. See AG ¶ 18.

Conclusions are warranted that his finances are insufficiently stabilized at thistime to meet minimum eligibility requirements for holding a security clearance. Unfavorable conclusions are entered with respect to the allegations covered by SOR ¶¶1.a-1.c. Eligibility to hold a security clearance under the facts and circumstances of this case is inconsistent with the national interest.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

My all time favorite is Guy Practicing Digging Graves to Prepare for Murdering His Wife’s Lover

quote:

Within the next few months, Applicant purchased a firearm, a pistol, and took the required safety course, which included firing the weapon. He never purchased ammunition for the firearm and never fired it again. He told his spouse he bought the firearm because he knew doing so would upset her. Buying the firearm was part of a revenge fantasy of taking action against his spouse’s paramour that preoccupied Applicant for the next couple of years. In addition to buying the firearm, it included grave digging (two graves located in the woods), buying a cutting tool, and buying a canvas to wrap the body.

Applicant’s digging took place, weather permitting, during the months of about May–September on Saturdays when his spouse was at work. His spouse was aware of his digging activity in general because he bought a collapsible shovel for the task and he would put his dirt-covered clothing in the laundry. Applicant was careful in selecting a site in the woods where he thought his grave-digging activity would not be detected. Likewise, he brought along a book about fossils in the local region to use as a cover story in case he had to explain his digging.

Toward the end of the first summer in 2002, he had the impression that someone had discovered the hole, and so he found a new location in the same woods and began digging a second grave. His digging followed the same pattern in 2003 and 2004, when it ended. Applicant never confronted the paramour directly and spoke to him but once in 2002 on the telephone. Likewise, Applicant never went to the paramour’s home or place of work with the firearm or any other weapon. Applicant also sold the firearm and resumed counseling, which he has continued on a fairly regular basis until present.3 In addition, Applicant confessed his thoughts and actions to a priest in about 2003 or 2004.

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/09-04014.h1.pdf

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My all time favorite is Guy Practicing Digging Graves to Prepare for Murdering His Wife’s Lover

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/09-04014.h1.pdf

arent priests supposed to not tell literally anyone about confessions under pain of instant excommunication

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

bob dobbs is dead posted:

arent priests supposed to not tell literally anyone about confessions under pain of instant excommunication

Did the priests say anything? I figure the applicant told them about the confession.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Haifisch posted:

Here's a doozy.

Very bad with security clearance but probably ultimately good with money since they seem to have stumbled upon the truth that most mortgage lenders were completely unable to deal with foreclosures after the financial crisis, particularly junior lienors that quickly determined they had almost no chance of ever recovering equity in a foreclosure after staggering through the morass of foreclosure. The guy who basically got a free $100k downpayment on his million-dollar house in particular did pretty well and will probably never face any real consequences for deciding not to pay.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Very bad with security clearance but probably ultimately good with money since they seem to have stumbled upon the truth that most mortgage lenders were completely unable to deal with foreclosures after the financial crisis, particularly junior lienors that quickly determined they had almost no chance of ever recovering equity in a foreclosure after staggering through the morass of foreclosure. The guy who basically got a free $100k downpayment on his million-dollar house in particular did pretty well and will probably never face any real consequences for deciding not to pay.

Man, and it sounds like he was able to take the payments and save 400k. Pretty gwm all around.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, that dude owns. The lendor decided a guy with a 80k job could afford a 1.2 million dollar house and at that point I feel he is morally obligated to take them for a ride.

$100k in furniture is BWM though.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Residency Evil posted:

Man, and it sounds like he was able to take the payments and save 400k. Pretty gwm all around.

Until you lose your clearance and therefore your income.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Worst customer credit

quote:

What is the worst financial shape you've seen for a potential customer?

What's the worst credit score to get approved for a loan?

Some choice ones in here:

quote:

The kid had 420 credit owed $1500 to metro, $7500 Tiffany's, 2 repos and this guy made $1000. 23 years old with a kid and he didn't grasp the fact why he couldn't get a $20,000 new car for $100 a month with 0 down and why he couldn't get approved for any car loan

quote:

Worst I've seen is $20k upside down on a 17 Toyota Sienna that they couldn't afford. I told them their best bet was to see if they could get a free consultation with a financial adviser about bankruptcy so they could keep their car and still be able to buy food.

Worst credit I've had get approved was in the 400s. We got them on a credit amnesty deal that had like a 20% interest rate with a 3 year term and an extremely high payment on a $14,000 truck. They desperately needed a truck for the guys work (construction) and he made good money. He just wasn't good at managing it.

quote:

370ish. Divorced and unemployed. No job history at all. Had a trade in worth ~$3k. Maybe $10k in late signature loans and title loans between her and the vehicle.

quote:

My old roommate had no credit and was doomed to an apr of 24%. Her debt to income ratio was fantastic so they worked with her.

quote:

Had a girl come in with 3 separate repos on record and fake paystubs

quote:

That's only happened to you once? That's a once a week minimum occurrence in my area.

I had a customer so dumb that the watermark for the paystub generator they used was still on the "paystub".

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that dude owns. The lendor decided a guy with a 80k job could afford a 1.2 million dollar house and at that point I feel he is morally obligated to take them for a ride.

$100k in furniture is BWM though.

I mis-read that the first time through as well. He *nets* $80k/year on his gross $240k/yr job.

Overall GWM unless the lack of clearance means he no longer earns $240k/year.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

H110Hawk posted:

I mis-read that the first time through as well. He *nets* $80k/year on his gross $240k/yr job.

He made $80k when he took the loan. He currently makes $240k.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Cacafuego posted:

My old roommate had no credit and was doomed to an apr of 24%. Her debt to income ratio was fantastic so they worked with her.

Lol, a person with no credit, so presumably no debt, had an excellent debt to income ratio? Why I'll be.... :thunk: maybe he means after considering the loan it was still a good DTI...

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

H110Hawk posted:

He is completely hosed if he had a Conditional Offer of Employment based on the clearance, which is likely. They are supposed to take a few months to process but some go on for a year or more. There's no real recourse if you end up getting denied; you lose the job immediately, though you can appeal the denial (I don't believe that saves the job for you though).

Initially he would have gotten an interim clearance, which is quicker and easier and wouldn't pick up the whole story behind his mortgage shenanigans particularly since they appear to have dropped off his credit report. This is the result of the final investigation and his 200k job may have tanked when it came down.

Not that any bank who let this guy mortgage a 1m+ house on an 80k salary deserves any sympathy either, but I agree it's maybe not someone we want handling classified material.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Cacafuego posted:

Worst customer credit

Some choice ones in here:

[/quote]

I worked in car sales when I was a wee lad and probably the worst I saw was this couple that were trying to downgrade and slash their payment, they had solid income but they had way over extended and had two kids in college. They had a 1 year old full size truck and a 1 year old loaded Honda minivan and needed to keep the same type of vehicles but lower their payments as much as possible so I put the guy in a 5 year old Ranger and the wife in a 3 year old Caravan.

Of course they put little or nothing down on either vehicle so they were enormously upside down.

It was a massive long shot anyway since they were probably trying to finance 40k dollars on 20k worth of vehicles, but I remember the finance manager walking up to me after the deal fell apart and saying "Yeah, it's pretty tough to get a new car loan when you haven't been paying your mortgage."

Poor bastards. Entirely their own doing but I still felt bad for em.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ixian posted:

Not that any bank who let this guy mortgage a 1m+ house on an 80k salary deserves any sympathy either, but I agree it's maybe not someone we want handling classified material.

Again, it was 80k net at the time. That means his gross was probably a little over $100,001, which qualifies him as rich a we in this thread all know. Why wouldn't the bank loan him the money?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

SpelledBackwards posted:

Again, it was 80k net at the time. That means his gross was probably a little over $100,001, which qualifies him as rich a we in this thread all know. Why wouldn't the bank loan him the money?

$102,440 is the 2018 inflation-adjusted amount after a CPI of 2.44%, so he's still a prole.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Got a friend a disciplinary and went behind bosses back? How to stop this spiraling out of control? Non-Romantic
submitted 51 minutes ago by TroublewithBoss
https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/acvo0j/got_a_friend_a_disciplinary_and_went_behind/

quote:

Hello,

I’m hoping I can get some advice on how best to handle this situation I find myself in.

I am part of a team of 20 at work, our manager is “Bob” Bob is the highest non-board member of staff at the company, I had a meeting scheduled in that he booked in for yesterday (first day back from the Christmas break).

I have a friend “Jack” who works in payroll (I got him the job, so a friend from before), apparently before we came off for the Christmas break Bob passed information over to payroll that says I am getting a 5,000 pay rise (20% increase) + a promotion starting in January.

Jack told me during the holiday about this.

I wasn’t really happy about the pay rise like 20% is a lot but I feel I deserve more than that and I bring more so I emailed our board of directors while we were all on holiday as I’m not too sure who I can go to given that’s the only people above my own boss.

I am not 100% sure what happened after that from the board / my bosses side.

All I know is jacks been given a disciplinary for sharing that information with me and I had a generic catch up meeting with my boss - no pay rise / no promotion.

I asked Bob what the deal was, the great thing about Bob is he is always open, he does not play politics etc, he just says what the deal is, good or bad.

He said circumstances change, this was for a more senior role where I’d be helping to manage people and rather than talk to him about my concerns at the appropriate time I emailed the board of directors going behind his back
– was other stuff but that’s basically what I took from it.

So now I’ll be going to work on Monday to a friend who has got a disciplinary for sharing confidential info and a boss who thinks I am trying to go behind his back.

:siren: Some background as I do feel it’s important I was Bobs boss until 2 years ago sadly personal circumstances at the time caused me to spiral and I lost 75% of the departments business :siren: , Bob stepped up and in 2 years turned the department into a 6 figure part of the company and the most profitable, I’m fully aware I'm only still here as Bob stuck his neck out at the time to keep my job.

I’ve been working with Bob since then to start progressing in the company again, monthly meetings to go over performance, etc.

I can see where Bob is coming from, I can, but that's not what I meant to do at all.

I know I messed up, I know, but I'm hoping people have some advice on how I can try and make this right on Monday.

TL;DR: Got a friend a disciplinary for sharing confidential info with me and a boss who thinks I am trying to go behind his back - how to handle the situation?

According to the comments, this guy is in the UK. Which is the ONLY reason he still has a job at all.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
wow thats one way to shoot yourself in the head I never thought of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
He was only making 25k before? Did the company bury him from his previous management position?

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

He was only making 25k before? Did the company bury him from his previous management position?

Sounds like, although this is 25k in pounds, in a country where salaries are lower. In any case, way to make sure he stays at the bottom.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Jesus, he doesn't even realize that his days at that company are now (unquestionably, 100%) numbered :pwn:

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 5, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

[URGENT] Found out that my husband owes $73k to the IRS. PLEASE HELP (self.personalfinance)

submitted 14 minutes ago by Throwforventing
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/acwvpo/urgent_found_out_that_my_husband_owes_73k_to_the/

quote:

I checked the mail today and there was a letter from the IRS, I opened it since seemed extremely important and he is out of town for work. (He's an independent contractor, files 1099) He'll be gone until the 13th.

He never filed his taxes for 2014. (We didn't meet until 2016 and he never disclosed this information to me)

A Breakdown of the letter:

Original amount owed: $43,810
No payments have been made (obviously, since he never filed)
Failure to file penalty: $9,857.25
Failure to pay penalty: $10,076.30
Failure to pay proper estimated tax: $786.61
Interest charges: $8,671.38

Proposed amount due: $73,201.54
He must file his return by 1/23/19 or they will file for him.
2018's combined income was about $60k since he was unable to find If both of our job situations stay the same, 2019's combined income will be about $150k. (neither of these number take taxes into account)

We have only been married for 6 months. I am FURIOUS. The penalties alone are equal to my yearly income. We were saving to buy a house, I guess that's not a thing anymore. We were also about 10k away from being 100% debt free. I had NO IDEA about any of this, if I'd known I wouldn't have married him until he got his poo poo together. I didn't think it was possible to feel this much rage towards the person I decided to share my life with! Side note, last week I was diagnosed with a chronic illness and was planning on going from full time to part time. Guess not :(

Do I try to find him an attorney? Will this affect my taxes at all? I'll be doing "married, filing single" since I'm a W2 employee. Is there any hope for us to not be in crippling debt for the next couple of years, or are we megafucked? Most importantly, what do we do?

Any help is appreciated, I have never been in a situation like this before and I'm completely lost. If more info is needed, I will gladly edit.

Looks like the 'ol stick your head in the sand and torpedo your relationship move we've seen so many times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ma i married a tuna posted:

Sounds like, although this is 25k in pounds, in a country where salaries are lower. In any case, way to make sure he stays at the bottom.

I reckon it's a pretty good salary for someone whose fuckups destroyed 75% of his employer's business. I'm amazed he was getting a raise at all.