Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

quote:

[–]Tank_Man_Jones

I messed up and could not edit the title but no we still have our jobs we just lost a major part of our benefits.

We are all pissed but we are not making a big deal about it just yet as we don’t want to get fired on top of all this

Lol. Again, reddit creative writing class has been going strong but this is potentially a hilarious payout if it is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lockback posted:

Lol. Again, reddit creative writing class has been going strong but this is potentially a hilarious payout if it is the case.

I'm imagining increasingly Looney Tunes ways the bosses are trying to catch out that one girl who didn't eat the brownies so they can cancel her 401k too.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Brownies? Withdraw Matching! :mad:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Runcible Cat posted:

I'm imagining increasingly Looney Tunes ways the bosses are trying to catch out that one girl who didn't eat the brownies so they can cancel her 401k too.

Surprise birthday cake to take home at the end of the day on her birthday, with a company owned stapler baked into the middle.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

GamingHyena posted:

Brownies? Withdraw Matching! :mad:
Bad with munchies: bad brownies botched big benefit!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I wonder what percentage of reports of in this thread are asking for name changes vs horse chat and wedding chat.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Space Gopher posted:

I felt like this had to be bullshit, so I did some digging.

Not only is it real, there's a Park Service manual that covers it. Page 30 even has a diagram of a dead horse that shows where to put the explosives.

Cousin of mine did that when he was working on trail crew stuff for USFS. He mentioned a horse that had died mid trail way up in the mountains, and they were called in to clear it before it attracted bears. There is only a rough guess on explosives to use, so the lead had them use a lot. They basically atomized this horse from what he said. Or it ended up being sent into orbit.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The Oregon Highway Division still holds the record with one whale, atomized.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The Oregon Highway Division still holds the record with one whale, atomized.

As I recall, they failed to atomize it and that caused something of an issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD5sPgV61bw&t=43s

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Moo the cow posted:

You’re right. I just wanted to say “atomized whale.”

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
They just renamed a nearby park "Exploding Whale Park."

Long-term, that exploding whale got them a lot of attention, and renaming the park got them writeups in a bunch of national papers (including the New York Times). Long-term GWM.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Moo the cow posted:

The best part is, the one car that was crushed by whale blubber? Belonged to the one scientist on location who was trying to tell everyone that blowing up the whale was a bad idea.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

CodfishCartographer posted:

The best part is, the one car that was crushed by whale blubber? Belonged to the one scientist on location who was trying to tell everyone that blowing up the whale was a bad idea.

Good, that buzzkill deserves it for trying to deprive us of this.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Something happened here. I don't know what.

https://goo.gl/maps/Frw5DbgFzh26Zs5L7

Side note: I was at this beach one time when a woman was setting something up and yelling into her phone, apparently it was very stressful. Turned out to be a wedding for dogs.

They say people who live in Salem, MA are weird.. I'm inclined to agree.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 14, 2020

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Moneyball posted:

Side note: I was at this beach one time when a woman was setting something up and yelling into her phone, apparently it was very stressful. Turned out to be a wedding for dogs.

Poor Freckles. Saw the ocean and got a park named after him.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Moneyball posted:

:lol: I used to live down the street from there. I actually loved living in Salem. Except at Halloween. That was a madhouse.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thanatosian posted:

They just renamed a nearby park "Exploding Whale Park."

Long-term, that exploding whale got them a lot of attention, and renaming the park got them writeups in a bunch of national papers (including the New York Times). Long-term GWM.

Yeah it's pretty terrible honestly. If anyone wants to come to Oregon, please remember that half the population won't wear a mask and we are full already and it rains all the ti.e. sometimes it rains rancid whale meat too. And if you want to know how effective our government is, well *gestures to rotting pieces of whale*

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I found three dead horses in three years of hiking in Utah and had no idea they could have been blown up to get rid of them. I should be packing explosives just in case

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hotel Kpro posted:

I found three dead horses in three years of hiking in Utah and had no idea they could have been blown up to get rid of them. I should be packing explosives just in case

do it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Don't let those naysayers at PetSmart tell you otherwise - Packing your old horses full of dynamite is both perfectly legal and an incredible adrenaline rush

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't let those naysayers at PetSmart tell you otherwise - Packing your old horses full of dynamite is both perfectly legal and an incredible adrenaline rush

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Why yes, it makes perfect sense to rent a car at $38/day* for my daily commute so I don't have to drive the car I'm already paying for.

*not including tax, rental car tax supplement, facility fee, we-bullied-you-into-insurance fee, fee administration fee

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Why yes, it makes perfect sense to rent a car at $38/day* for my daily commute so I don't have to drive the car I'm already paying for.

*not including tax, rental car tax supplement, facility fee, we-bullied-you-into-insurance fee, fee administration fee

FYI: If you're in Denver they'll also scam a wind shield chip repair out of you.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i mean could you not make money from a dead horse

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hotel Kpro posted:

Really, this is always true.

Hermaphrodite
Oct 2, 2004

Luckily, I CAN go fuck myself!

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

At my last job there was a temp who said she was renting a car for the commute because she didn't trust her own car to make the trip (20 miles.) She was making $10/hr.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hermaphrodite posted:

At my last job there was a temp who said she was renting a car for the commute because she didn't trust her own car to make the trip (20 miles.) She was making $10/hr.

This is sad with money, we want more bad with money

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

FYI: If you're in Denver they'll also scam a wind shield chip repair out of you.

I rented out of Denver and love tapped a car during a snow storm that popped in one of the lower fog lights. I somehow got out of that damage assessment by arguing that when we got the car it was night time and there was no way I'd have known the light was pushed in. A+ would rent from Sixt again. Also lol driving in all seasons trying to go to the mountains to ski.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Sometimes, I partially understand why our comptroller is crazy.

She's currently upset because someone submitted a request to purchase a bunch of "Diffusers" and essential oil cartridges for "COVID-19 Prevention" and "Public Safety."

When you're dealing with hundreds of requests per day, even if only 1% of them are really stupid, then you still have to explain your denial reasons for dozens of stupid requests per week.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

George H.W. oval office posted:

I rented out of Denver and love tapped a car during a snow storm that popped in one of the lower fog lights. I somehow got out of that damage assessment by arguing that when we got the car it was night time and there was no way I'd have known the light was pushed in. A+ would rent from Sixt again. Also lol driving in all seasons trying to go to the mountains to ski.

In my case, they got me on a microscopic windshield "chip."

No rear end in a top hat, I did not take a closeup of that windshield spot.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
The one positive of Uber/Lyft is that they will hopefully rid us of rental car bullshit.

Hermaphrodite posted:

I had this experience once, sort of. My car broke down unexpectedly in the morning, so my father brought me to the closes car rental place after it was towed. They told me it was going to cost $80 to rent it for one day because I was 24. I told them that after taxes I did not made that much money in one day of work so if that was the price, I would just call out of work and save myself the annoyance. So they said they'd rent it to my father instead for $40. I should have just told them to fly a kite, but I was a good little office drone.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

The one positive of Uber/Lyft is that they will hopefully rid us of rental car bullshit.

You're not going to get 40 miles in an Uber for the daily cost of a rental car and gas (in most rental markets that I've seen).

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

In my case, they got me on a microscopic windshield "chip."

No rear end in a top hat, I did not take a closeup of that windshield spot.

If it makes you feel any better, one time I paid for a Jeep Wrangler rental from Sixt and instead they gave me an BMW X5. Which we took deep into the Utah wildlands and did things no other X5 has done. When we returned it it was so dirty that the disinterested teenager who inspected didn’t catch any of the scratches. A week later Sixt sent me some passive aggressive emails asking about the damage and I denied everything and never heard from them again.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/15/twitter-accounts-hacked-crypto-scam/

Over 200 people on twitter just got scammed out of bitcoin because they thought they'd get $2000 back if they sent some to Bill Gates, Elon Musk and a bunch of other people.

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/bc1qxy2kgdygjrsqtzq2n0yrf2493p83kkfjhx0wlh is the wallet address people are sending money to right now.

edit: this is still ongoing, Uber and a few other twitter accounts just tweeted the same wallet.

Photex fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 15, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Apple/status/1283506278707408900?s=20

lmao

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ahahaha, did a bunch of high profile twitter accounts get hacked?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cacafuego posted:

Ahahaha, did a bunch of high profile twitter accounts get hacked?

Yep https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/suspected-bitcoin-scammers-take-over-twitter-accounts-bill-gates-elon-n1233948?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

They all seem to be taken down now, about 15 mins later.

Per NBC's link apparently bitcoin transactions per wallet are public on this website, which shows transactions to that wallet...? https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/bc1qxy2kgdygjrsqtzq2n0yrf2493p83kkfjhx0wlh?page=1

Value of the wallet seems to be around $90K USD but it's rapidly pushing funds to other accounts. We're seeing money laundering live in action, seems like.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 15, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

man anyone who can pull that off deserves more than 90k in chucky cheese tokens

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Bitcoin Fans be like: "b-b-but since the records are public can't they reverse the transaction??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Animal posted:

If it makes you feel any better, one time I paid for a Jeep Wrangler rental from Sixt and instead they gave me an BMW X5. Which we took deep into the Utah wildlands and did things no other X5 has done. When we returned it it was so dirty that the disinterested teenager who inspected didn’t catch any of the scratches. A week later Sixt sent me some passive aggressive emails asking about the damage and I denied everything and never heard from them again.

thanks, that does make me feel better.

At least I learned my lesson.