Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I foresee a lot of swordfish and chicken being served and the newlyweds will be using leftover souvenir goblets as everyday drinking glasses for the next decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

I foresee a lot of swordfish and chicken being served and the newlyweds will be using leftover souvenir goblets as everyday drinking glasses for the next decade.

The goblets are drop-shipped straight from the manufacturer to respondents' homes using Amazon fulfillment

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I foresee a lot of angry social media posts when the couple alienates the remainder of their social circle after a majority of them send only regrets on the RVSP.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
God willing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Wedding update: We didn't meet our stretch goals, so we are unable to provide chairs and cutlery for every place setting. Those rewards will only be for our top backers

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Remember how the thing everyone misses about travelling is the experience of being on the plane? Qantas has got you covered.

quote:

Growing number of airlines offer ‘flights to nowhere’ as international travel remains stalled
With international travel in much of the world still disrupted by the coronavirus pandemic, some airlines are resorting to “flights to nowhere” that target passengers who long for air travel — and some are willing to shell out plenty of money for the tickets.

Qantas, among the latest to advertise a flight that departs and arrives at the same airport, told Reuters that the trip sold out less than 10 minutes after going on sale on Thursday. “It’s probably the fastest-selling flight in Qantas history,” a spokeswoman for the airline said.

The Australian carrier is following other Asian airlines that have offered similar options. Such flights have already taken place in Taiwan and Japan, while Singapore’s national carrier said Sunday it was considering one, as well.

The seven-hour Qantas flight will depart Sydney on Oct. 10 and return on the same day, with no stops along the way, to comply with restrictions on interstate travel. Passengers have been promised views of the Great Barrier Reef, the Uluru monolith and the Australian Outback as the plane flies over the country at low altitudes.

The 134 available seats on offer quickly vanished at prices that ranged from $787 to $3,787 in Australian dollars, the equivalent of $575 and $2,765, according to Reuters. “If the demand is there, we’ll definitely look at doing more of these scenic flights while we all wait for borders to open,” the spokeswoman told the news agency.

Airlines have suffered badly during the pandemic, with industry groups suggesting that overall revenue may fall by 50 percent in 2020 after governments shut down borders and passengers cancel planned travel.

Last month, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said that the coronavirus pandemic had led to the worst financial climate in the company’s 100-year history and that international flights were unlikely to resume before summer 2021. The airline lost roughly $2.9 billion during fiscal 2020.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/09/17/growing-number-airlines-offer-flights-nowhere-international-travel-remains-stalled/

I've barely set foot outside this week due to forest fire smoke partially caused by climate change, good to know a contributing factor is spoiled folks who just can't bear the thought of not flying through the sky aimlessly.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It's BWM and bad for the planet, but scenic airliner flights are an innovative idea.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Aren't (weren't?) a ton of airplanes just taking off and landing with no one aboard so that airlines could keep their gate privileges or something weird?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Inner Light posted:

It's BWM and bad for the planet, but scenic airliner flights are an innovative idea.

Not always: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Erebus_disaster

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

"Controlled flight into terrain" is a very clinical way to say whoopsydoodle, the mountain just came outta nowhere

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Scenic flights are not a new idea, people have paid for scenic flights over stuff like the grand canyon and the coast of Hawai'i in 4 or 6 or 8 seater planes (and helicopters) for a long time.

Why someone would pay for a scenic flight where the scenery is out of the teeny oval window of an airliner is beyond me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Inner Light posted:

Don't forget BWP (Bad With Pandemic).

alnilam posted:

Scenic flights are not a new idea, people have paid for scenic flights over stuff like the grand canyon and the coast of Hawai'i in 4 or 6 or 8 seater planes (and helicopters) for a long time.

Why someone would pay for a scenic flight where the scenery is out of the teeny oval window of an airliner is beyond me.
Imagine having the seat over the wing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alnilam posted:

I did one of those in Kauai and it was awesome. Saw several famous film locations, the waterfalls from Jurassic Park, a dozen swimming humpback whales, and the picturesque Na Pali coast. I even got to sit in front!

Extremely good with money and good with vacation.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I did one of those in Kauai and it was awesome. Saw several famous film locations, the waterfalls from Jurassic Park, a dozen swimming humpback whales, and the picturesque Na Pali coast. I even got to sit in front!

Extremely good with money and good with vacation.

I backpacked all 11 arduous miles out along that coast and nearly died, you were one of the bastards making helicopter noise all drat day :argh:

(I'm sure it was awesome, I hope you played the "welcome to Jurassic Park" fanfare)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

alnilam posted:

I backpacked all 11 arduous miles out along that coast and nearly died, you were one of the bastards making helicopter noise all drat day :argh:

(I'm sure it was awesome, I hope you played the "welcome to Jurassic Park" fanfare)

Not me!
We boated along the coast in one of those cool Zodiacs, then hiked it (Alakai Swamp trail), then did it by air (fixed wing)
It was a great vacation. And yes, the pilot did play the Jurassic Park theme over the headset.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Aren't (weren't?) a ton of airplanes just taking off and landing with no one aboard so that airlines could keep their gate privileges or something weird?

they put a stop to that pretty fast

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
What's a good rate for rim loans?

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Slot usage requirements have mostly been suspended due to covid. Airplanes are still flying half empty though since the government has subsidized them to do so via the CARES act.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

KodiakRS posted:

What's a good rate for rim loans?

I recently learnt that you can rent rims.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Moo the cow posted:

I recently learnt that you can rent rims.

Fools. I lease-to-own my rims.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I thought it was the slots, but poster above says that they've been suspended.

Do pilots have to do a certain number of hours a month to keep current?

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 17, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

crossposting from the gip idiots thread

canyoneer posted:

Someone was telling me the base facebook spouse groups have been blowing up with "how do I not spend the money? If it's there, it's getting spent" and it feels a lot like the SNL sketch of "Don't buy things you cannot afford"

First part of next year is going to be a horrorshow of enlisted folks with tight budgets being totally broke.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Do pilots have to do a certain number of hours a month to keep current?

For airline pilots it's 3 landings every 90 days. After 90 days pilots have to do some training in a simulator before they can go fly again. How much training depends on how long it's been since they've flown. Running extra flights to keep pilots current basically never happens at airlines unless they can't do the training in a simulator for some reason.

canyoneer posted:

First part of next year several years is going to be a horrorshow of enlisted folks everyone with tight budgets being totally broke.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 18, 2020

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I definitely know people that think money IRL works like money in an RTS and any money not spent is "wasted". To the point that after their monthly expenses are paid, they'll go to Walmart and spend exactly what is left of their paychecks on slow cookers and air fryers and poo poo, knowing that they'll return them later.

One friend has bought and sold a Nintendo Switch five times now since launch as new games that interest him come out, because "it's money sitting around wasted whenever I'm not playing it!"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

Airplanes are still flying half empty though since the government has subsidized them to do so via the CARES act.

Most of the flights I've been on in the past couple months have been mostly or completely full. There's been a lot fewer flights to choose from, of course.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

According to the Broadway musical "Come From Away", which is about all the grounded airplanes that landed in Gander, Newfoundland, on 9/11, airplanes are not designed to be parked for long periods of time and it can really damage them.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

My redneck neighbor has had an F-15 sitting on our front lawns for years now that he swears he's going to get running again someday but I have my doubts.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Moneyball posted:

My redneck neighbor has had an F-15 sitting on our front lawns for years now that he swears he's going to get running again someday but I have my doubts.

To be fair, repairs and maintenance on fighter jets are pretty dang expensive, not to mention the hourly operating cost. Very BWM.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Moneyball posted:

That's rad as gently caress if you actually meant the air superiority combat aircraft.

Lame if it's just the ford truck though.

e f b

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Moneyball posted:

A Chevy dealership near Seattle had an ex-Czechoslovakian MiG-21 up on blocks for a decade or so. They bought it at the fall of the iron curtain as a publicity stunt (the place was named Jet Chevrolet) and kept it around until the early 2000s.

They didn't ever get 'er runnin' right, but considering they got 10 years of an I-5 landmark for probably not much more than one of those giant inflatable gorillas, the whole thing was still pretty GWM.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
A restaurant in my neighborhood had a B52 bomber out front on columns for a gas station that they also used to operate until a few years ago when they took it down to restore with a goal of getting her flying again. They closed down recently and I blame the decision to get rid of the plane. Also the terrible food.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Moneyball posted:

Just gonna go on Amazon and pick up some spare parts for the P&W F100 engine. Be here Tuesday.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

According to the Broadway musical "Come From Away", which is about all the grounded airplanes that landed in Gander, Newfoundland, on 9/11, airplanes are not designed to be parked for long periods of time and it can really damage them.

Ask me anything about living in Gander!

(it sucks)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Guinness posted:

To be fair, repairs and maintenance on fighter jets are pretty dang expensive, not to mention the hourly operating cost. Very BWM.
Just get a HARRIER FIGHTER for 7,000,000 PEPSI POINTS!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico,_Inc.

I wonder what would have happened if someone really got 7,000,000 Pepsi Points instead of 15 points and
$0.10 a point for the remaining 6,999,985 points, and a $10 shipping and handling fee.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

quote:

Judge:
"The callow youth featured in the commercial is a highly improbable pilot, one who could barely be trusted with the keys to his parents' car, much less the prize aircraft of the United States Marine Corps."

:saddowns:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Electrical Fire posted:

Ask me anything about living in Gander!

(it sucks)

Is it like living in a Donnie Dumphy video?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Moneyball posted:

how

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Moneyball lives in Kuwait. It's a relic from Desert Storm.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

The less than a week that the planes were stuck on the ground in Gander isn't really a big deal. There may have been a minor issue or two that would be an unusual pain in the rear end because getting a company mechanic or parts to an island in far eastern Canada immediately after 9/11 would be tricky. The 737 max on the other hand, those are going to have issues for months after they start flying again. It's just going to add insult to the $18 billion injury Boeing gave themselves.

Jeremey Clarkson, the British equivalent of a redneck, just used a flatbed truck. He strikes me as the kind of person who would be very BWM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

KodiakRS posted:

The less than a week that the planes were stuck on the ground in Gander isn't really a big deal. There may have been a minor issue or two that would be an unusual pain in the rear end because getting a company mechanic or parts to an island in far eastern Canada immediately after 9/11 would be tricky. The 737 max on the other hand, those are going to have issues for months after they start flying again. It's just going to add insult to the $18 billion injury Boeing gave themselves.

I'm no aerospace economist but I don't understand how Boeing is still able to function for so long building planes that may never fly or be sold. I don't think they're sitting on a giant cash pile.