Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

William Bear posted:

Members of Congress make $174,000 a year. Greene's mask debt of $90,000 represents over half her salary.

https://twitter.com/jacobkornbluh/status/1484288351666675714?t=aQShUjUk267M56aiNRUlSA&s=19

I bet your they let her use campaign funds to pay it, and I bet she's pulled in way more in campaign funds from advertising the fines than she's had to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ham Equity posted:

I bet your they let her use campaign funds to pay it, and I bet she's pulled in way more in campaign funds from advertising the fines than she's had to pay.

They just withold it from their congressional salary. Congress doesn't actually have a way to compel members to pay except by withholding their salary. Technically, they won't be able to fine her anymore once she hits $174k in fines.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They just withold it from their congressional salary. Congress doesn't actually have a way to compel members to pay except by withholding their salary. Technically, they won't be able to fine her anymore once she hits $174k in fines.

Liberals hate this one weird trick!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Strong Sauce posted:

wasn't there some viral clip of some british town hall meeting and someone brought up what the average worker makes and no one could believe it?

I recall there was that thing during the election when the Labour runner at a town hall thing was talking about why they were aiming for the 80k range or something for adjusting tax rates and some chud welder was whining about how that would affect him, a "working class" person that was making over 80k and that meant the Labour Party was punishing their base.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"I'm a lifelong working class Labour voter and their tax rises on people making £100k a year would impact me" is a grand newspaper headline that pops up very often in the run up to UK elections these days. The prime one in 2019 was a story about a man who'd voted Labour every election his whole life and how he'd never have been able to get his artisanal pizza restaurant business started under that evil Jeremy Corbyn's tax plans.

Then people looked him up and naturally he was a Tory donor and personal friend of the journalist who wrote the story.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Motronic posted:

So what's the conclusion here? Surely you didn't just read two research papers which I also have no intention of reading. So tell me what the takeaway from your post should be.

The second paper is pretty old and well-known, the first one is new to me but short.

Takeaway is that everybody thinks income should be much more equal than it is, regardless of socioeconomic status. The poorer folks tend to want it to be a little more equal than the wealthier folks but everybody's ideal income distribution is way, way lower than actual. Oh, and no group of people are actually close to estimating the actual income distribution between CEO of national corporation and unskilled laborer, most egregiously in the US (what do you think it is?) (351:1)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Aces High posted:

I recall there was that thing during the election when the Labour runner at a town hall thing was talking about why they were aiming for the 80k range or something for adjusting tax rates and some chud welder was whining about how that would affect him, a "working class" person that was making over 80k and that meant the Labour Party was punishing their base.

holy poo poo. thank you for taking my mess of words and figuring out what it was. i vaguely remember watching this but totally forgot what it was about... does anyone have a link to this?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

totalnewbie posted:

Oh, and no group of people are actually close to estimating the actual income distribution between CEO of national corporation and unskilled laborer, most egregiously in the US (what do you think it is?) (351:1)

The average person guessed a CEO makes only 10x more than "unskilled" labor (according to the paper)? If we generously assume the unskilled laborers are making $20/hr (~$40k/yr), that would mean CEOs only make $400k? I guessed 100x before looking at the number and was still pretty far off.

MisterMarmite
Feb 4, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

wasn't there some viral clip of some british town hall meeting and someone brought up what the average worker makes and no one could believe it?

You might be referring to a Question Time episode where an audience member refused to accept that his >£80k income put him in the top 5% of earners, or even the top 50%

https://youtu.be/n4g6k1a4XYA

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I've never seen the whole clip I only remember it because it was one of the questions for Big Fat Quiz of the Year, and the panel had a good rip on the entire situation of the candidate botching a good attempt to clarify the party stance and this tool not understanding how statistics and percentiles work.

Not that it isn't hard to bamboozle and obfuscate things like top earnings

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

From the annals of "Surely, nothing could go wrong with this plan and I am just the first genius to ever come up with it."

quote:

Question: Improperly Notarized Agreement Document

Hello everyone, I have recently been served with lawsuit papers and attached was a notarized agreement that was allegedly signed by myself and another party, and notarized by the other party's attorney (notary public).

However, is it not State Law (of North Carolina) requires that the Notary establish the identities of the signers either through 1) personal knowledge (which neither I or that Notary have never interacted with or known of each other beforehand) or 2) (most commonly) through obtaining valid Government-issued photo identification and recording such?

Neither of these were done and I have filed a complaint with the Secretary of State's office. In order to challenge the Notarization, is there anything further I should do (like file a report with the police?) or is filing the SoS complaint enough?

Thanks!

quote:

quote:

Unless you are able to testify, under oath, truthfully, that you are not the person who signed the document, improper notarization will likely not make any difference in your lawsuit.

If I need to testify under oath, I will claim I do not recall ever signing such a document, not that I did not. I would rather lose this than perjure myself haha.

quote:

quote:

If you claim you don't recall signing it and you do recall signing it, that's perjury, the same as claiming you didn't sign it.

You will be asked if the signature is yours. If you put a fingerprint in the notary's book, you may be asked for prints during discovery if you're intent is to question the signature.

If this is your only defense, you should be prepared to lose this case. The lack of notarization does not make a contract unenforceable.

The Notary never had any "notary book" either for fingerprints, signatures, recording of Photo ID #, etc.

quote:

You seem to remember the circumstances of signing this document really clearly.

How would you know this if you don’t recall signing?

quote:

quote:

Did you sign it?

What implications would there be (if I actually did sign it) Given the circumstances of the alleged improper notarization?

quote:

It's enough money that it is necessary to pursue options to get out of it.

quote:

Is this from the post you did earlier where you said you signed an agreement with a real estate agent? If you signed it and people know you signed it, it's not going to change the legal effect of entering into an agreement. You can be called to testify that you signed the agreement. It's just going to piss the lawyer off that you reported him.

Let's take a look at OP's previous posts...

quote:

Real Estate Exclusive Right to Sell Contract Signing Question

My real estate agent has sent me and my spouse an "exclusive right to sell agreement". My spouse and I are the listed named parties on the document, with us collectively named as "Seller". I have signed it but she has not. Spouse wants to use a different real estate agent which I am fine with that, but before I move on to use a different agent, can this agent sue me if I have signed this document even though my wife has not yet?

I have included the first part of the agreement below:

EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO SELL AGREEMENT

THIS EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO SELL LISTING AGREEMENT IS ENTERED INTO BETWEEN (MY-NAME) AND (SPOUSE-NAME), AS SELLERS OF THE PROPERTY, AND [FIRM-NAME] AS THE LISTING FIRM.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

From the annals of "Surely, nothing could go wrong with this plan and I am just the first genius to ever come up with it."

Let's take a look at OP's previous posts...

I don't quite get what is going on there, but I'm assuming it's something to do with a divorce. Would that be a good guess?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think that he's trying to weasel out of a contract with the real estate agent because the contract was improperly notarized somehow? I think he thinks it's improperly notarized because the notary agent didn't ask for his photo ID or whatever? I have no clue.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

He signed a contract with a real estate agent for exclusive sale rights. He wants a different realtor now.

Backing out of that contract usually incurs whatever the penalty for breaching the contract is (google says it is usually 3.5% to 5% the value of the house).

He wants to hire a lawyer and go to court to argue that he doesn't remember ever signing the document and that the notary can't prove it is him by testifying that when he signed the document the notary didn't take a fingerprint or photo ID.

He thinks he has discovered "One foolproof ways to get out of contacts you don't wanna honor. Judges hate it!" by claiming that he doesn't remember signing it, but proving that the notary messed up (which wouldn't matter if he willingly signed the contract) by not taking his ID and the notary can't prove it was him because he was there and remembers the notary didn't take his ID (but has no recollection of why the notary was there or if he signed any documents).

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 21, 2022

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The BWM part was signing an exclusivity deal with a realtor.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

I think that he's trying to weasel out of a contract with the real estate agent because the contract was improperly notarized somehow? I think he thinks it's improperly notarized because the notary agent didn't ask for his photo ID or whatever? I have no clue.

Yeah My guess is they signed the RE agent contract that gives them the exclusive right to list the property take pictures, give them ideas to close, deal with potential buyers / open houses etc. Then they went with a different realtor instead (maybe lower fees or something) and they got sued for the lost commission (usually like 4% of the value of the sale goes to the sellers agent/Firm and 2% goes to the buyers agent/Firm). So if it was a 300k house or something you're looking at friggin 12 grand.

OP thinks they can secret word themselves out of the contract "SHOW ME THE BOOK" ,"I wasn't there" until well if it went to court the attorneys would ask "Did you sign this document".. then they'd ask the Notary / attorney, anyone else who was there (maybe the RE agent themselves) "Did this person sign the document?". Guess who's gunna win.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 21, 2022

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I'm curious about the bit where he signed it but the wife didn't and presumably the couple jointly own the home. The former real estate lawyer in me is curious whether the contract was valid in the first place but it could easily cost thousands of dollars in attorney fees to prove it wasn't.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm curious about the bit where he signed it but the wife didn't and presumably the couple jointly own the home. The former real estate lawyer in me is curious whether the contract was valid in the first place but it could easily cost thousands of dollars in attorney fees to prove it wasn't.

what if wife wasn't on deed? they could be the "sellers" but if wife wasn't on deed then wouldn't guy be the prime seller.

edit: either way this guy bmaboozeled himself into shelling out a pile of money, by signing a contract he wasn't committed to.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 21, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Dan Olson just released a 2h documentary about crypto. Spoiler: he does not like them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

MisterMarmite posted:

You might be referring to a Question Time episode where an audience member refused to accept that his >£80k income put him in the top 5% of earners, or even the top 50%

https://youtu.be/n4g6k1a4XYA

Thanks. This was it. Here is a slightly longer one (from the Mirror unfort) https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/mans-bizarre-question-time-rant-20934080

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

tater_salad posted:

what if wife wasn't on deed? they could be the "sellers" but if wife wasn't on deed then wouldn't guy be the prime seller.

edit: either way this guy bmaboozeled himself into shelling out a pile of money, by signing a contract he wasn't committed to.

Yeah there's a lot that depends on specific facts and north carolina law that I'm weirdly interested in but the guy is a moron. I ran into a lot of folks like him when I was practicing, "nigh on a thousand years of English common law resolving property disputes is no match for me, a dipshit who can barely google! There is no way my clever scheme to get around the law has ever been though of before and everyone will be helpless after I take them by surprise."

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It probably won’t matter in his case, but it is kinda weird if the notary didn’t ask for ID and didn’t have a logbook.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lifg posted:

It probably won’t matter in his case, but it is kinda weird if the notary didn’t ask for ID and didn’t have a logbook.

I just had to sign a will and got it e-notorized because of Covid. I never spoke to, saw, or presented anything to the notary. Not really sure what the point was.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lifg posted:

That's the part he actually doesn't remember. I'd bet the notary did their usual routine and dude thinks he can just say they didn't.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1484506629613789184?t=IH3-IG1T26SOj_cQLPPXWQ&s=19

Please please please be true.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's down to where it was in August. It's just this month's mass selloff, though it's not recovering nearly as much as it used to. Price has nearly halved in the last 3 months.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

njsykora posted:

It's down to where it was in August. It's just this month's mass selloff, though it's not recovering nearly as much as it used to. Price has nearly halved in the last 3 months.

A big part of it is expectations of rising interest rates and people not desperate for something - loving anything - to stick money in to earn a return.

You're also seeing the same thing with some of the stocks that got red hot during the initial year of covid quarantines. Peloton is getting RAVAGED right now, for example.

edit: Also both Russia and India are talking about banning crypto.

edit 2: and apparently the Fed, SEC, and the other various American offices with fingers in the economic pie are making increasingly serious noises about doing financial poo poo to make crypto less appealing as a tax dodge etc.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

A big part of it is expectations of rising interest rates and people not desperate for something - loving anything - to stick money in to earn a return.

You're also seeing the same thing with some of the stocks that got red hot during the initial year of covid quarantines. Peloton is getting RAVAGED right now, for example.

that is partially because peloton was literally eating babies and puppies though

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

evilweasel posted:

that is partially because peloton was literally eating babies and puppies though

Don't forget killing Mr. Big.

edit: not even a joke, that dumb Sex in the City reboot actually hurt their stock prices.

Then they get the actor to do a bunch of ads for them to lightheartedly roll with the punches and recast that a bit and lol he gets a bunch of sexual assault allegations right after they start running them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

netflix dropped like a brick

if you want to follow bitcoin's price this one's the easiest: https://bitcointicker.co/stamp/btc/usd/12hr/

there's a huge selloff wall at 30K if i'm reading the secondary chart right

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

My absolute favorite thing about this is I find about it via Escape from Tarkov because for some ridiculous reason the "Physical Bitcoin" item in the game has its ingame value tied to the live value of bitcoin, so selling those items just gets you less. "Oh, I'm getting less, bitcoin must be down"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1484619425328381955

quote:

Bitcoin was supposed to be the solution to BIG MONEY. Now it instantly dips everytime when the stock market dips.

To be honest, this makes me sad.

As far as I remember, Bitcoin was thought to be the solution of the fact that institutions, wall street and big money control the financial world and the pennies of the simple people from the normal population. And it was more or less like this, in the first several years after the inception of Bitcoin. We saw so much price discovery, Bitcoin being volatile, because mere mortals like us were buying, hodling, selling, wondering how much the real price of this asset is. It was literally supply and demand, controlled only by the psychology and the individual decisions of every single one of us.

What do we see nowadays? We go to bed, we wake up and we see that Bitcoin is at -10% for no reason. Literally for no reason. Neither me or you have sold. We were just sleeping.

quote:

I'm fairly new in the crypto world, bought most of my portfolio at the ATH of November and I'm now stuck with an ever shrinking crypto account. I'm also new to investment in general, so when I learned about bull and bear markets last year, I thought I understood what they meant. Bull is when people are hopeful and numbers go up. Bear is when people are fearful and numbers go down. But people here keep saying we are not in a bear market. When the market goes down everyday for months, what is it then?

quote:

With Bitcoin right at the $40k mark, this will be the last time in the foreseeable future you’ll be able to buy it this high a price. It’s time to go all-in and prove that you truly have diamond hands.

So what is my strategy- early withdraw my 401k and invest it in BTC

quote:

quote:

The "I told you"s are already happening :(

This is why you don’t tell anyone lol

quote:

It's hard to not tell my gf

quote:

My gf has been angry that we have cancelled vacations and scrounged and saved to put it all into crypto over the past year. I've won the arguments by telling her that because of covid we couldn't go anywhere anyway. I've told her that we will have more than enough to retire and go on vacation soon, but the more we put in the more we got out. It's been tough to keep her at bay for the past year and convince her we don't need to do presents or can just cook in tonight. This is going to take months or years to recover and I don't have any way to prevent her from knowing.

quote:

Important advice for dealing with gf/close friends :

Deny deny deny And if that doesn't work Lie lie lie

quote:

Is there even any point selling this low, I can probably scavenge more money in my laundry than selling my cryptos

quote:

Happened last year may, happened now. When will they learn, that we are in a bear market only FOR NOW

quote:

Crypto can be defined as enormous short term loss, but potential enormous long term gain. What you are experiencing is normal

quote:

If you’re still here now - you’re part of the few who stayed after the hype. You WILL be rich in the future.

The title says it all. Remember “gee em eee” that took the world by surprise? Remember ADA pump? Etc? That was retail mania.

The majority of people in crypto this year entered the market after the last pump. In the summer.

I believe the majority of them are gone now. It’s over. The quick money that retail was looking for is gone.

The people who remain are the true believers. The true crypto enthusiasts. If you’re buying the dip right now then you’re the ones that retail will be jealous of during the next mania phase.

Look at every ATH from previous market cycles - those people thought it was a lost cause. Their money was gone.

But if you just HODL. HODL is a meme but it’s a meme that will pay off if you’re patient.

When the price goes up, as it eventually will, a true crypto enthusiast should have a small feeling of regret. Regret that they didn’t buy more in the dip.

Just look at the chart. Zoom out. You’ll laugh some day when you look back at this dip. From your private jet

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Didn't Zaurg buy a bunch of buttcoin?

lol

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

you'll laugh when you see this dip from your private jet.. Okay

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
You love to see it!

quote:

Bull is when people are hopeful and numbers go up. Bear is when people are fearful and numbers go down.

also lol

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
I have never bought any cryptocurrency and I expect that I never will. But as much as I hate cryptomaniacs and their weird religion, you have to admit, bitcoin really has crashed a lot of times and then went on to reach a new high every time so far.

If we ignore things like stock markets as a whole or entire economies (which tend to have regular boom-and-bust cycles), what other 'asset' or investment bubble has behaved so erratically in such a short period of time? Like, the Dutch went crazy over tulips, but they did it once and then they were done. They moved on to some other nonsense. The crypto nightmare should have ended a decade ago but it hasn't.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Verus posted:

I have never bought any cryptocurrency and I expect that I never will. But as much as I hate cryptomaniacs and their weird religion, you have to admit, bitcoin really has crashed a lot of times and then went on to reach a new high every time so far.

If we ignore things like stock markets as a whole or entire economies (which tend to have regular boom-and-bust cycles), what other 'asset' or investment bubble has behaved so erratically in such a short period of time? Like, the Dutch went crazy over tulips, but they did it once and then they were done. They moved on to some other nonsense. The crypto nightmare should have ended a decade ago but it hasn't.

Railroad stock was the 19th century version of high risk/high reward meme stocks. LOTS of small RR's raised capital and then went tits up before having whatever track and other assets they had get acquired by some other nearby company. Rinse and repeat until poo poo consolidated down to a few major regional companies.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Railroad stock was the 19th century version of high risk/high reward meme stocks. LOTS of small RR's raised capital and then went tits up before having whatever track and other assets they had get acquired by some other nearby company. Rinse and repeat until poo poo consolidated down to a few major regional companies.

They invested heavily in NFTs (Non-Functional Trains)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

Weren't the early commercial airline days similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
hell age of exploration poo poo too, for every VOC/EIC there's a couple of Darien Schemes