Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

tumblr hype man posted:

Yea its wild, in some states condoms are exempted from sales taxes cause they count as drugs, while tampons are not exempted from sales taxes.

Just listed to the indicator eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What's the down payment on jelly

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Y'all keep reusing the same jam puns for some raisin.

P.S., prunes are dried plums, but actually prune juice is different from plum juice.

Berries and what else?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYX_zhlTDr8

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Simpsons Reference posted:

When he gets in to a jam, he doesn't turn to jelly.

Worst thing he could do would be to Welchs on the deal.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

This thread makes me sad lately. And not the good kind of sad.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
He'll never be head of a major corporation

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Should we all agree on canning the fruit preserves puns?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Should we all agree on canning the fruit preserves puns?

I fee like that would lead to a reduction in our ability to be saucey with each other.

Perhaps we should concentrate on ways to preserve what gells us as a thread?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Ah, that takes me back.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

That's not how this scam works.

There are high rate call prefixes. They are usually scammers, etc that are big enough to have their own rate center. Most carrier block these calls by default if they are especially egregious, but not all.

Telecom is a really weird business. Ever wonder why things like eFax were free? Or lots of other VoIP numbers? It's because they need to drive traffic to their numbers because they are the underlying operator (or are getting a cut) on high rate center calls. Some do it in bulk by simply charging 2 to 5x as much for settlement between the carriers. Some gouge way more.

Your particular carrier just might not consider one of those rate centers to be part of your "free calling" or whatever beyond a certain point, but they have 't met the regulatory threshold for "1-900" type calls.

This is my favourite industry and it is a loving weird one. Truly a Milo Minderbender scheme.

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 9, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BurgerQuest posted:

This is my favourite industry and it is a loving weird one. Truly a Milo Minderbender scheme.

It goes a level deeper than this too. A lot of these operators will sign up with every wholesale provider they can under a different company name and grab rate decks to see if their prefixes are being sold below the settlement fees (this happen a lot because people try to blend rate centers to make pricing/billing not completely insane - the US is particularly bad with this). And if you are charging less than that and not blocking the numbers THEY START CALLING THEMSELVES over your network as a "legitimate customer" and arbitrage the poo poo out you.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

One of those (depressingly common) cases where the law has to make a determination because the legislative and/or executive did something essentially absurd and stupid. In this case, slapping import tariffs on vegetables but not fruits, and failing to be explicit in the law as to what exactly those terms covered.

I wish there was a mechanism under judicial review to send legislation back to its originator with a "fix this, you idiots" requirement.

It is not absurd or stupid when you consider that US Fruit Company bribes a lot of people, err contributes not bribes.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Motronic posted:

It goes a level deeper than this too. A lot of these operators will sign up with every wholesale provider they can under a different company name and grab rate decks to see if their prefixes are being sold below the settlement fees (this happen a lot because people try to blend rate centers to make pricing/billing not completely insane - the US is particularly bad with this). And if you are charging less than that and not blocking the numbers THEY START CALLING THEMSELVES over your network as a "legitimate customer" and arbitrage the poo poo out you.

We have 3 dedicated staff to analyse and monitor this for our small wholesale voice division (largely trading and some unique/exclusive IDD+VAS). It always blows my mind the level of deviousness required to do well with it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Pretend i bold everything
https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/azh66t/crashdoge_crashingbitcoin_and_crashingcrypto_are/

quote:

r/CryptoCurrencyWARNING
CrashDoge, CrashingBitcoin and CrashingCrypto are GIANT SCAMS. They stole $8,000 of my money. STAY AWAY.
u/ChaboJ

quote:

Hello everyone, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I recently went on CrashDoge.com to try my luck. I am a gambling YouTuber with a channel called StackGambler. I deposited 5,000 Dogecoins with the intent of making 500,000 Dogecoins.

https://gyazo.com/7f33a4ea076b54b766fc5703562c7dd1 (An image of the YouTube video I posted gambling on CrashDoge.)

I successfully was able to make 1,000,000 Dogecoins. I attempted to withdraw, but there was only 250,000 in the hot wallet, which I took out to my wallet. I was told by the owner, HERPES, to wait for the second owner to come on and fill up the hot wallet so I could withdraw.

https://gyazo.com/8d7333cc2322b22c08fc3524ef226297 (A screenshot of HERPES saying he will fix the withdrawals, and congratulating me on my win.)

Other whales came on at the same time. One of them won 2,000,000 more Dogecoins and lost it all. Another one won 1,000,000 or so. I continued playing, and I won about 6,000,000 Dogecoins at the end of my session. At the end of it, the bankroll of CrashDoge was down about 9,000,000 Dogecoins.

Before I played further, I wanted to make sure that the bankroll was real and not just monopoly money, so I waited for my withdrawal to come through. Of course, no money came for several hours. The entire time, HERPES made the excuse that his other partner was not replying to refill the hot wallet.

For the next several hours, HERPES assured me that my withdrawal would come through promptly. I later found out that it was in this time that HERPES was looking for an excuse to not pay me.

https://gyazo.com/553cbd12d2068d72a541a5b82b07902b (A screenshot of HERPES announcing that he will freeze my balance because he believes that I am underage)

His reason for doing so was this:

https://gyazo.com/0ae2fffc287665013080b78a89e25ded (A screenshot of me privately telling HERPES that I am between 17 and 22 years old.)

For the record, as of March 2019, I am 21 years old and am legally allowed to gamble with cryptocurrency tokens in my jurisdiction (Singapore) as they are not classified as legal tender by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

I had sold some Dogecoins to other users on the site for BTC/ETH, and I had also tipped other users some money. All of those users have had their balances frozen, because they received funds from a potentially underage person.

Now, let's look at the facts...

Fact #1: CrashDoge does NOT have a terms and conditions page. https://web.archive.org/web/20190308053751/https://crashdoge.com/faq As of right now, and when I joined the site, there was nothing on the site mentioning any terms and conditions whatsoever. HERPES insists that I broke the ToS the moment I said I was "between the ages of 17 and 22", however, NOTHING on the site says that you need to be a) over 18 to play, or b) that you need to provide KYC documents. Thus, his entire premise falls apart. More importantly, CrashDoge is a bustabit v1 clone, and should follow the general principles. Anonymous and instant deposits and withdrawals are key to any gambling site. NO gambling site of this nature requires any KYC information whatsoever. If CrashDoge chooses to go against the norm and request KYC information, that is alright, but it should be a) disclosed to players BEFORE they deposit, and b) included in the terms and conditions, none of which happened.

Fact #2: CrashDoge is insolvent and does not have enough money to pay players. The alleged 20,000,000 Dogecoins bankroll is a lie. HERPES informed me that the second owner liquidated most of the Dogecoins due to lack of interest in the site. He also told me that from these projects, he is down a couple hundred thousand dollars. Additionally, he has wiped several users' balances completely clean, and is has currently shut down all withdrawals. This leads us to conclude, without a shred of a doubt, that not only is CrashDoge insolvent, it will NOT honour any of users' deposits and withdrawals.

Fact #3: HERPES is a scammer. Even though requesting KYC information and age details without consent of T&C inclusion is wrong and fishy, I can understand it. I am not comfortable disclosing my details online, for obvious reasons, but I am perfectly willing to prove that I am not underage. Thus, I offered to fly over to HERPES' city (at my own expensive) and give him my passport in order to verify my age and identity. However, he refused to do so, because he claims that "we typically don't meet with players in person, man", which in my view is a very sorry excuse. As of now, HERPES has scammed four people, and he personally owes me ~4,000,000 Dogecoins.

I will be taking up this case with a higher authority. Naturally, I will ensure that all of HERPES' bustabit licenses are revoked, because he has blatantly scammed me out of a large amount of money. I will do my best to make sure his Costa Rica/Curaco business license(s) is/are revoked, but I'm not sure if I can guarantee that. I also have his identity details, which I would ideally disclose here, but I'm not sure if it's against the forum rules or not.

Take care guys, don't get scammed. I will be monitoring the crypto gambling space carefully to ensure that HERPES will not crop up again, and I'll be sure to make sure I get my money back, one way or the other. You can post below or PM me if you have any questions. Stay safe!

Update:

My friend STRAT made a great video on the topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8t-6YgHdgk&feature=youtu.be

Update 2:

HERPES is also known as FeelTheBurn and (name removed).

Link to the original bitcointalk thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5118237.0

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It really tickles me when someone goes to great length to provide evidence of being taken for a ride and continues to do so while the grifter walks away chuckling to himself about the money he just made.

Dude has no recourse and is spinning his wheels. LOVE THIS

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TraderStav posted:

It really tickles me when someone goes to great length to provide evidence of being taken for a ride and continues to do so while the grifter walks away chuckling to himself about the money he just made.

Still can't trust herpes, as it turns out :hmmyes:

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I would personally put all my trust in a person who calls himself "HERPES"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
"HERPES is a scammer" is a good title

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

TraderStav posted:

Don't worry, that's the free market working as intended! The person who was scammed tells people that this company is not reputable, shows his evidence, and then since everyone involved is a perfectly rational actor with perfect information, the company will change its name slander its critics advertise on a different website use fake accounts to post positive reviews go out of business!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm sure the Costa Rican authorities will get right on this, uh,

* checks notes *

International Dog eCoin scammer.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

should have used smart contacts, bro

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

While this is all made up monopoly money, I looked up the Doge coin price?

Its like $.00195 https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/dogecoin

So this youtube guy was scammed out of if he only actually paid in 5000 coins which is... like $9.75. If he was to cash out his claimed winnings at the supposed peak that still is like $11,700 which is a big chunk of change and I can see why he is pissed though and willing to jump through hoops. However lol @ trying to win this legal fight from across the world, just take the L and stay of shady crypto games.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Mar 11, 2019

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
I never saw this posted here, but it appears that youtuber Onision made some more bad choices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3FmJh-NJIM

Includes tree law.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

TLG James posted:

I never saw this posted here, but it appears that youtuber Onision made some more bad choices:

Includes tree law.

Who is that and why should I care?

Edit: That sounded way douchier than i intended. I just reflexively hate that guy's stupid face and stupid eyebrows and stupid manner of speaking. Is he the guy that was deducting entire rooms in his house because it was where he filmed a few minutes of videos?

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

TLG James posted:

Includes tree law.

That's a long video to watch about two nobodies.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

r/legaladvice
My friend conned me of $100,000
u/ohcoxe
Hi everyone,

My friend of 12 years conned me of $100,000. Turns out she had faked cancer for the past year. She moved to Europe with her husband, and asked me for money for her cancer treatment.

She had me get a statement notarized here (US) that basically said “I(OP) am gifting $100,000 to (her). Signed and notarized per her request. She said it may be needed in case the wire transfer there gives her trouble with this large amount of money.

I found out from another friend (hadn’t talked to them in ages) recently that she never had cancer, but she did have a complete house renovation and two vacations to Italy.

I’ve been heart broken for the past month. I confronted her and she cut contact completely. Never denied or owned up to it, just disappeared and blocked me.

I don’t know what to do. Is there a chance for me to take legal action? Does the statement I typed, signed and notarized basically screw me?

Thank you for your help.

When your high level friend exit scams you

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

DarkHorse posted:

Edit: That sounded way douchier than i intended. I just reflexively hate that guy's stupid face and stupid eyebrows and stupid manner of speaking. Is he the guy that was deducting entire rooms in his house because it was where he filmed a few minutes of videos?

Yes. He now got fined for damaging a wetland next to his house.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I only watched part of that video because it's super loving boring, but there was a pretty good BWM moment when the dude described his tax preparation method: click around in turbo tax until everything goes green.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Onision was a C-tier youtuber (now Z-tier hurray!) who used his Internet fame to emotionally abuse a string of 16-year-old girls, e.g. by having them send him nudes and move in with him and his wife. He used his youtube money unwisely and dug up a protected pond behind his new McMansion so that he could have a dock... in Washington State, a state that actually enforces wetland protections. He's going to get hosed by tree law and it couldn't happen to a bigger douchebag.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Atma McCuddles posted:

Onision was a C-tier youtuber (now Z-tier hurray!) who used his Internet fame to emotionally abuse a string of 16-year-old girls, e.g. by having them send him nudes and move in with him and his wife. He used his youtube money unwisely and dug up a protected pond behind his new McMansion so that he could have a dock... in Washington State, a state that actually enforces wetland protections. He's going to get hosed by tree law and it couldn't happen to a bigger douchebag.

Note the wife was also originally one of those 16 year old girls too, he has a history of all kinds of grooming and legal evasion tactics

He also tried to start a cult a few times!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

O Kelly

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/DaveRamsey/status/1103657049689415681

Fukken deep, man. Fukken deep.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*buys $1600 worth of luxury candles*

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
Time to stop working and go on a vacation I guess!

Who knew it was so simple all along?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

*halfway through a plate of the finest caviar*

"wait, rich people save money?"

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

*bong rip*

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's an insanely stupid platitude. If you act like rich people or poor people you will be poor

act however you want but save 30% of your income and you'll be rich

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That's an insanely stupid platitude. If you act like rich people or poor people you will be poor

act however you want but save 30% of your income and you'll be rich

He's running a 12-step program for debt addicts. Taken in the context of the rest of his advice (some good some bad, all targeted at a very specific demographic) this is akin to him just doing some "motivational speaking."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Motronic posted:

He's running a 12-step program for debt addicts. Taken in the context of the rest of his advice (some good some bad, all targeted at a very specific demographic) this is akin to him just doing some "motivational speaking."

Exactly. It's the same deal when he goes off on his audience telling them that they aren't victims of oppression or racism or anything else. From a factual perspective, the rant is ridiculous, but from a motivational standpoint, you can see why that kind of message resonates, even with some black listeners. The only actual advice of his that really grinds my gears is when he goes off about how you should only invest in growth stock mutual funds. Don't pay attention to fee ratios, and don't use index funds because you CAN beat the market. After all, he and his team of financial advisors are getting 12% returns. Why couldn't you do the same with a few minutes of googling? I've heard him cornered on that before though, and he just fell back on "the return on every dollar you don't invest is 0%." Essentially, that the point is to invest. So all in all he's pretty harmless imo.