Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

How is this still a thing? I would have expected "fancy coffee" poo poo to be well back into super niche where it came from again by now.

Covid might have been the final death blow, come to think of it.

This was in Madison Wisconsin in the mid 2010s, so a few years ago, in more ways than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Democratic Pirate posted:

It may have killed cafes, but I wonder if working from home turned more people on to better coffee. A bag of fancy beans may cost more than free crappy coffee, but per day it’s way cheaper than even a medium black coffee at Starbucks.

Yeah, I had always thought the home market was where this was going back to. I mean I'm one of those weirdos that likes nice coffee, but I loathe dealing with the people in cafes that actually serve it.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Motronic posted:

Yeah, I had always thought the home market was where this was going back to. I mean I'm one of those weirdos that likes nice coffee, but I loathe dealing with the people in cafes that actually serve it.

I still work in R&D for the largest coffee company in the world and there's no indication this is happening. At-home purchasing is back to pre-pandemic levels and coffee shop traffic is nearly back as well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I still work in R&D for the largest coffee company in the world and there's no indication this is happening. At-home purchasing is back to pre-pandemic levels and coffee shop traffic is nearly back as well.

I have no doubt coffee shop traffic will rebound.....I'm talking about places with "national award winning barristers", or actually those that think having such is any sort or draw to 99% of your potential customer base......the whole exhausting performative type cafes, many of which I've been to exactly once in various west coast locations that I've stayed.

Or maybe not. Maybe there are markets where these still work. My point is I thought it would be over by now, pandemic or not.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Motronic posted:

I have no doubt coffee shop traffic will rebound.....I'm talking about places with "national award winning barristers", or actually those that think having such is any sort or draw to 99% of your potential customer base......the whole exhausting performative type cafes, many of which I've been to exactly once in various west coast locations that I've stayed.

Sorry, I should have clarified, that's coffee shops across-the-board, not just large chains. It's yet to be seen if it's a rebound or a lasting trend, but consumers are still hungry for the third wave shops, no pun intended.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can raise 4.5 million for a startup based upon going to plutocrat school and not making GBS threads your pants

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Motronic posted:

I have no doubt coffee shop traffic will rebound.....I'm talking about places with "national award winning barristers",

I'm glad they found work after dropping out of law school!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Motronic posted:

I'm talking about places with "national award winning barristers", or actually those that think having such is any sort or draw to 99% of your potential customer base......the whole exhausting performative type cafes, many of which I've been to exactly once in various west coast locations that I've stayed.
Cafes like that are such a small slice of the market that they may as well not exist. I actually can't think of a single shop that brags about who works there or does any kind of "performance" around their drink production, and I live in one of the biggest coffee-drinking cities in the US.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I DO NOT DRINK COFFEE

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm glad they found work after dropping out of graduating from law school!

fixed

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

When is Tether supposed to be in more legal trouble, and take various coin exchanges and currencies down when it fails?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I DO NOT DRINK COFFEE

We get it, you're a Mormon.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
All I can tell you is that living in Melbourne would be BWM for me not because a tiny house costs over 1M but because I would not be able to stop myself from going broke by drinking the local coffee like a true boomer's millennial. I don't know what it is about Melbourne's coffee but it was amazing.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Thanatosian posted:

This is me, 100%. The best coffee is free coffee.

Agreed.

Working from home, I try to buy decent stuff. Though that often defaults to "whatever's on sale that doesn't taste awful."

At work, whatever's in the packet that has caffeine and can easily be prepared is fine. I just want to stay awake.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm making my own cold brew lately with Costco beans and a grinder I bought, and it's hilarious how BWM I could still be by buying beans or grounds from local ridiculous fancy artisinal places. Like, $20 for an 8oz bag and I'd end up spending like $2.50 a cup to make my own stuff!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Motronic posted:

How is this still a thing? I would have expected "fancy coffee" poo poo to be well back into super niche where it came from again by now.

Are cicerones still a thing?

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

I always catch up on this thread when it goes on the weirdest loving tangents.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1378018656999903239?s=21

That's true in this country, but he's way off on the pricetag.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Martman posted:

I'm making my own cold brew lately with Costco beans and a grinder I bought, and it's hilarious how BWM I could still be by buying beans or grounds from local ridiculous fancy artisinal places. Like, $20 for an 8oz bag and I'd end up spending like $2.50 a cup to make my own stuff!!

Coffee is one of the weirdest "luxury" things people rip on as a symbol of extravagant waste.

The gap between poo poo coffee and great coffee (if its even available) isn't even going to be discernible to most people and the prices aren't really that different. Even buying fancy expensive roast beans isn't going to mean poo poo unless you know how to prepare them perfectly.

That's why I buy the 64 oz jars of instant coffee from Sams club for $8 and get ~200 cups off coffee's worth from it.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Thinking that your typical NASA employee is going to leave the office for coffee is BWUE (bad with understanding engineers)

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

pentyne posted:

Coffee is one of the weirdest "luxury" things people rip on as a symbol of extravagant waste.

I think this used to come from when it used to be really fashionable for right-wing people to rip on espresso drinks & coffee shops because they were kind of European and at first were only in big, left-wing cities. But Starbucks is almost everywhere now in America, so I don't think this is so true anymore.

Yeah, maybe it is sort of silly to be into craft coffee, but it's really not that expensive compared to many luxury items.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

You all say the best coffee is the free coffee but my work is a quarter cup of folgers grinds per pot.

The only positives I can give it is that is both hot and wet.

I think my favorite bwm coworker was the one who didn't like this work coffee, so he bought a keurig and then filled it with folgers pods... And bottled water.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
It's me, I'm the guy who goes to Starbucks a couple times a week just to buy their dark roast drip coffee. It's fine to me, I'm only pissed off if it's cold. I buy the Costco organic ruta maya and use a pour over at home but I honestly don't prefer one over the other, they're just different.

The real BWM thing is that they raised their prices and gutted their rewards so I'm paying over $3 for a large coffee now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Freely available coffee is one of the best gwm investments that any company can make imo

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

OctaMurk posted:

Freely available coffee is one of the best gwm investments that any company can make imo

:hmmyes:

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

OctaMurk posted:

Over jn the corporate thread I have called it the foundation of American capitalism.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
My office now uses the same every day coffee I use at home (Folgers in the red tub) and somehow the stuff I brew at home tastes 1000x better. I’m not sure how they manage to gently caress it up so bad, especially when the water they use is also filtered and mine is right from the tap.

I only go into the office once a week currently but I just bring it from home now.

On weekends I do fresh ground beans from a local roaster (BWM).

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

honda whisperer posted:

You all say the best coffee is the free coffee but my work is a quarter cup of folgers grinds per pot.

The only positives I can give it is that is both hot and wet.

I think my favorite bwm coworker was the one who didn't like this work coffee, so he bought a keurig and then filled it with folgers pods... And bottled water.

My old job was government, we all had to chip in for the coffee or rotate buying a can and filters. One cheap rear end would only buy Chase & Sanborn which is mostly floor sweepings and pipe trap clean out debris near as I could tell.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i used to work at a place that did the whole yadda yadda free food thing only the nontechnical peeps were 80% health nuts and ex-athletes cuz of what the company did so i got a look into a world of expensive snacks that tasted terrible and increasingly weird 'healthy' substitutes for coffee

at least it was other peeps money

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Apr 3, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

canyoneer posted:

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1378018656999903239?s=21

That's true in this country, but he's way off on the pricetag.

quote:

“I paid $15,000. You can’t trespass me for paying $15,000,” said Sills, a guest at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, after he was led away. He soon began cooperating with the sheriff’s deputies. “If I take $15,000 from you, I can’t kick you out... Bring me to jail for $15,000 grand, I’m fine... In front of my kids, too, at Disney World.”

"yes yes that but not because you told us to"

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

catspleen posted:

My old job was government, we all had to chip in for the coffee or rotate buying a can and filters. One cheap rear end would only buy Chase & Sanborn which is mostly floor sweepings and pipe trap clean out debris near as I could tell.

My dad worked at a government facility that ran 24/7 and the amount of coffee they went through, in hindsight, was astounding. As a child, all I knew was that I had an endless supply of Chase & Sanborn coffee cans to keep things in.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

At work we have some decent "espresso beans" and a coffee machine that grinds a small batch of beans fresh for every cup.Not bad at all.

At home, it's Trader Joe's Bay Blend which is dark roasted, oily, dank beans. I grind them fresh, so every new pot is just pure dark coffee love.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

At work I've had an industrial coffeemaker where there were pot-sized individually packaged portions of Green Mountain French Roast at one place and at my current office there was a Keurig with assorted K-cups (usually the generic Solimo kind and some kind of flavored options) and I'd always go for the latter by the "free coffee is the best kind of coffee" mantra.

When we go back to in-person stuff I want to suggest just getting a communal drip machine because there are probably going to be 8-10 people there tops in a given day and it would cut out the waste from the K-cups, but that feels like the kind of suggestion that implicitly volunteers me to be the person who keeps track of coffee supplies and cleans it out.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

My office now uses the same every day coffee I use at home (Folgers in the red tub) and somehow the stuff I brew at home tastes 1000x better. I’m not sure how they manage to gently caress it up so bad, especially when the water they use is also filtered and mine is right from the tap.

For the answer, ask yourself how often they wash the coffee pot, filter basket, and everything else that comes in contact with stale coffee.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Space Gopher posted:

For the answer, ask yourself how often they wash the coffee pot, filter basket, and everything else that comes in contact with stale coffee.

Yeah IMO most of the benefit from the manual, more laborious pour-over coffee gadgets is that you tend to wash the crud off of them them more often than a normal drip coffee machine.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How does the BWM thread feel about my preferred morning coffee machine, the Aeropress?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

My wife and I use a ninja coffee bar for several years and I really love it. Biggest thing to me isn't all the features but how easy it is to keep clean vs all the other ones I've used.

Recently a gasket went out and it was leaking. So instead of trying to replace it i just wanted to fix it. In the time it took me to figure out the replacement gasket, get it, and install it, I probably could have just bought a new one with all the $$ we burned going to dunkin every morning instead. Especially if you factor the cost of the replacement gasket.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Gopher posted:

The English make this into a feature, as tea urns are renowned for the district taste they build up.

That said, I'm entirely sure that giving out free coffee at any workplace pays for itself with productivity and loyalty several times over.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Unglazed Chinese tea pots are intended to absorb oil from the tea. Well used ones can be very valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The best way to build up political goodwill in an office environment is to be the person who gets the communal coffee going each morning or the person who brings in breakfast tacos/donuts on Fridays.