Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Paul ReiserFS posted:

How do you option out a $32k Camry

Does it have a smaller second car inside it

Average new vehicle sold for $35k last year. The Camry is right in the middle of the market, exactly where it's always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Dude just doesn't make enough to support a family of 4 on his own. And his wife can't work because the jobs she'd qualify for as unskilled labor don't pay enough to offset the daycare for two kids (which can easily be $2K/mo at that age in a LCOL area). They're just turbofucked unless they can get some free childcare to let the parents work more.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder if they depreciated it on their taxes for ten years and then sold it at a profit anyway?

Yes, absolutely. But then they had to recognize the recapture. No free lunch on that.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Devian666 posted:

I think after all this time, reading articles and watching documentaries about what has gone on in the financial sector, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people in the sector either don't understand or barely understand what they are doing. Everything from unusual trading during the flash crash through to banks that were buying junk MBS and CDOs oblivious to the risks. It also reminds me of the hedge fund imploding over XIV.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/06/the...ent-plunge.html

XIV was a daily inverse fund, it did exactly what it was supposed to do when VIX spiked.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah 529s are pretty sweet. I think you can front load ten years as well or something?

There are no annual contribution limits to 529s. Most plans have a lifetime max per beneficiary they'll accept, and you can put that all in at once if you have the scratch.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Is infant care in Boston really $3300 mo?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

golden bubble posted:

Clueless capital gains redditor is bad, but not as bad as Mr. use all your capital gains for wallstreetbets. Hint: Margin calls are a real thing, and you should think about them before betting >100% of you net worth.

You also shouldn't daytrade with Uncle Sugar's money. He gets real testy about that.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I think while a HELOC is a junior lien to the mortgage, the Homestead Exemption only gets you past the first mortgage.

Homestead exemption will only apply to unsecured debt. If you default on a HEL/HELOC they take the house because you explicitly secured the debt with the property.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Surprised this hasn't been posted already: https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-10-23/how-do-you-like-we-now

quote:

It is one thing to build a successful company that creates a lot of value and take some of that value for yourself; Neumann created a company that destroyed value at a blistering pace and nonetheless extracted a billion dollars for himself. He lit $10 billion of SoftBank’s money on fire and then went back to them and demanded a 10% commission. What an absolute legend.

SoftBank is pumping an additional $9.5 billion into a company they value at $8b, and not only will they not have full ownership, they won't even have a majority of voting rights. Included in that is a literal billion+ dollar severance package for the grifter of a CEO that puts Holmes to shame (but without any of the legal risk). It's all going to go up in smoke as WeWork's burn rate would make even Uber blush. They are gonna re-write MBA textbooks over this one - absolutely epic BWM.

SlapActionJackson fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 24, 2019

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Photex posted:

Haven't seen this posted yet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/dpnzup/i_recorded_todays_marketopen_and_the_instant/

Dude recorded himself going into about $50,000 in debt as soon as the market opened yesterday after he abused a loop hole with Robinhood's trading.

That's less "loop hole" and more "Robinhood still doesn't understand how to correctly calculate margin under Regulation-T". Dude's short call premiums shouldn't have been marginable specifically so that he couldn't do what he proceeded to do.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pershing posted:

So if I have a question about my own financial problems, where do I post in BFC?

Just make a new thread.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Asleep Style posted:

Didn't something similar happen recently where Robinhood ended up having to eat the whole loss because they would get in bigger trouble if the :secsmug: found out?

Yes, this is not the first time RH has let a lightly-informed noob margin themselves to the moon and lose it all. At least in this case, there's no 3rd party RH mas to make whole, they're just owed $40K by an idiot that doesn't have that kind of scratch. Sucks to be them.

Asimov posted:

What happens to the negative balances in cases like this guy? He's at negative $40,000, does Robinhood ask him nicely to pay it, and then cover it because it wasn't supposed to be allowed to happen?

They're now an unsecured creditor of Mr. Guh. Standard debt collection options apply.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Texas does this, too - Deferred Adjudication or Deferred Disposition is used for lots of traffic offenses and other penny-ante fuckery. You enter a "No Contest" plea and pay the fine, the judge defers final entry of judgement for 90, 180 days, whatever. If you comply with the terms of the deal (which are often simply "don't get another ticket/arrest in the time frame"), the judge dismisses the case instead of recording a guilty disposition.

After the dismissal you can truthfully state that you were not convicted of the crime, but that deosn't mean the licensing board can't use the fact that you were busted for opiods in denying you an opportunity to sit the boards.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Motronic posted:

Post history includes:
- What plans have you put in place for your crypto in case you die?

That's uncharacteristically prescient for a crypto holder. I wonder how much crypto is going to effectively > /dev/null because people die and take their encryption keys with them.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

uvar posted:

Someone else has leveraged their way up on Robinhood from $4,000 up to ~$1,200,000, and there don't seem to be any sanity checks at all: https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/drqaro/robinhood_free_money_cheat_works_pretty_well_1/

:thunk:

Absolutely epic. 300x leverage. What could possibly go wrong?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I know, right. Clearly EBITDA should be an exponential curve in that scenario.

Yes, I know the math on that doesn't work out. But I doubt SoftBank does.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

That has got to be the first time an HR beancounter has been the hero of an ESPN story

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Also, Bill Gates is worth >> €10B

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

I notice the current Zuarg thread is locked and he's been probated for a decade. I'm more than a year behind in that thread and it's just the same well-pissing cycle his other threads have been. Anyone care to summarize the BWM that went down for those of us too lazy to give a poo poo about Zagur anymore?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

My guess on the insurance thing is that her price spiked because she went from driving an old beater to a brand new car, and surprise, that costs more to insure. Obviously, she did not think through the process of waiting until she had new insurance in hand to cancel. I've had some pretty expensive lessons in life, but that ones a doozy.

Apparently she "couldn't document" the driving history she told the insurance company, so they upped the price from $safe_experienced_driver to $risky_noob

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Pekinduck posted:

Buyers get around this by shipping it to special "ports" in Switzerland. The "port" is actually a secure facility for storing artwork but while it's there the painting is considered perpetually in transit and untaxable.

https://www.widewalls.ch/geneva-freeport-art-storage-freeports/

That's a deferment of VAT/sales/use taxes for the buyer. The seller still owes the 28% collectibles tax on the gain.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

I have a hypersensitive gag reflex; bought a nightguard and used it for ~3 nights before I decided to accept the consequences of not using one.

Dentist told me that I would have terrible teeth in my forties if I didn't use it, I responded "you could tell me I would be dead next week if I didn't use it, and I'd say 'well, I had a good run.'" Not gagging in your sleep GWL.

Spending ~$200/night (after insurance) on a night guard BWM.

Not using a night guard when you grind the hell out of your teeth, also BWM/BWL. I've had, like, six fillings replaced because of it.

Eventually those fillings become unrepairable, and you'll need to "upgrade" to crowns. Take it from someone who's had 4 in the past several years - it sucks and it's worth some effort from young-you to prevent middle-aged-you from having to deal with it. I wear a night guard that fits snugly on my lower teeth - maybe that style wouldn't be so gag inducing for you?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Does this entire subforum just have bruxism or what?

In a forum full of ultra type-A people, you're surprised?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sundae posted:

Someone bought a 3BR 1400sqft house down the road from my apartment for $2.85M. It has a for rent sign out front. Guy wants $7,500 p/mo with a long-term lease, or $10K p/mo with a month-to-month. Tossed a few numbers around, and realized that even at $7,500 a month (and with assumptions of no mortgage, no taxes, no maintenance, no vacancy periods ever), it'll take him more than 30 years to recoup the cost of that house. Chalk up another one to the cult of "housing can't go down in price" b/c that's the only way he could ever even dream of breaking even on that purchase.

You're forgetting that the mortgage cost stays fixed, but he can raise the rent 15% a year forever. In 30 years that house will cost a half-million dollars a month to rent and he'll be a billionaire.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

canyoneer posted:

That cost basis stuff is so ridiculous and I hate it. Why can't it just show the correct figure on your 1099? :effort:

Because the IRS changed the reporting rules a few years ago to require the brokerages to report the wrong number. Presumably exactly because people tripped up by the change would overpay instead of underpay?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sundae posted:

Not exactly. They've clamped down on the practice of not counting it as income for the company. They still do it, but have to actually report the benefit as income for the company.

It's okay to put a price on your employees' heads; it's just not okay to do it without paying the taxes. :v:

And since the whole point of COLI was a tax dodge, ending the tax-free death benefit killed the incentive to take out the policies on everyone.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Someone has been trying this trick with houses, too.

Just pay us instead of your mortgage, what could go wrong?

Houston Chronicle posted:

Ron and Ann Jones were watching Fox News one night in early 2018 when they saw a commercial that made them sit up. A company called Synergy Law said it could help people modify their home loans.

The couple and their growing family - now at four children — had lived in their New Braunfels home since 2006. But Ron, an Army corporal, had sustained disabling injuries in Iraq, and by the time he saw Synergy’s ad the Joneses were looking for better loan terms.

The company said it could help lower their payments, and the couple signed a contract in March 2018. Synergy advised him to stop paying the mortgage, Ron said, as he’d soon be enjoying more favorable terms anyway. The couple authorized the company to withdraw $550 every month from their account as ongoing payment.

Ron checked in each Friday. But despite the “Law” in Synergy’s name, it was always difficult to speak to an attorney. After about a year, he said, their bank suddenly informed them they were facing imminent foreclosure. Synergy advised the couple to file for bankruptcy protection immediately.

“We hired them to make things better, and it was getting worse,” Ann said.

Synergy provided them a simple form to file with the bankruptcy court. But it turned out to be inadequate and their case soon was tossed. The Joneses were now tens of thousands of dollars behind on their mortgage payments and again staring at foreclosure. Unable to raise the money, last September they lost their home.

For subscribers: The economy is booming. So why are credit card debt cases clogging Texas courts?

There have been housing hustles as long as there have been houses. What makes Synergy unusual, bankruptcy trustees, attorneys, and furious former clients say, is not just an audacious nationwide business model, in which it operated in plain sight. But also how long it has taken government regulators to rein in the company despite the long trail of red flags it planted across the country.

The company’s attorney and part owner, Scott Marinelli, has had his law license suspended in two states. He was banned for five years from consumer loan work in Washington, where he still owes tens of thousands of dollars in fines. Maryland revoked his license to sell insurance. Since 2017, courts in at least a dozen states — including Texas — have issued some form of sanction against him and/or Synergy for harming vulnerable homeowners. Federal judges have ordered the company out of their courts.

Court filings show Synergy became increasingly known among bankruptcy trustees. Yet beyond the piecemeal penalties — some of which were never paid — a fragmented bankruptcy regulatory system meant that after each sanction, it simply continued operating outside those jurisdictions. Court documents say its clients filed 50 bankruptcy cases a month in Texas alone.

“I was just thunderstruck that he’d been operating for as long and as widespread as it was,” said Gwendolyn Kerney, a Chapter 13 trustee in Tennessee.

Corporation filings in Washington, D.C. show Synergy Law incorporated in 2016. Dave Maresca is listed as governor. Court documents identified Marinelli as 10 percent owner and the company’s lawyer, billing $325 an hour.

After requesting a written list of questions, Marinelli stopped responding to requests for comment. Maresca’s attorney did not make him available for an interview. In documents filed in a Nassau County, N.Y., lawsuit, Maresca blamed his former partner for the company’s problems. In a Texas case, Marinelli said he was unfairly being singled out when other Synergy Law executives remain “living comfortably in multi-million dollar properties.”

In advertisements and mailings, Synergy promised to help renegotiate loan terms for people struggling with their mortgages. Court filings show it had about 20 marketing employees signing up new clients.

It is unclear how many desperate homeowners Synergy helped with their home loans, which often can be modified without specialized assistance. But according to federal court records in jurisdictions across the country, it was when the company advised clients to file Chapter 13 bankruptcy that many suffered, losing their homes even as the company continued collecting its fees.

Synergy “didn’t perform any services,” said Ernest Garcia, general counsel of the Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending. “None.”

Overseen by federally appointed trustees, Chapter 13 bankruptcy is supposed to help debtors create and manage a repayment plan. Often, it can last years.

For subscribers: Houston’s Wild West towing system sustains ‘flipping’ scams, regulators say

It also temporarily halts foreclosure proceedings, and Synergy’s business model “was just stalling,” said Dinorah Gonzalez, a bankruptcy attorney who works with the Chapter 13 trustee in the Southern District of Texas. Debtors were given only skeletal paperwork to file; some said they were even instructed not to respond to correspondence from the judge. The cases were eventually tossed — at which point the company often told clients to file a second and third bankruptcy case.

Yet Gonzalez said Synergy appeared not to have any intention to rework clients’ loans during the respites. Instead, she and others said, its business model was to delay foreclosures as long as possible while clients continued to pay Synergy’s fees instead of their mortgages.

“There was no paperwork or indication that they’d even contacted the lender,” said Dana Wilkinson, a South Carolina bankruptcy attorney who helped one of Synergy’s former clients. As a result, many Synergy clients ended up losing their homes, lawyers and trustees said.

Frank and Jenny Little lived in their dream home in Montana’s Flathead Valley for eight years, sharing it with Jenny’s parents and brother. When Frank lost his job over Christmas 2016, Jenny said, they hired Synergy to help them with their mortgage.

“We were willing to do what we could to save it,” she said. After paying regular fees but hearing nothing for six months, she said Synergy suddenly told them they needed to file for bankruptcy protection to delay foreclosure. The filing was later dismissed as inadequate.

On March 25, 2018, a stranger appeared at their door. “Can I talk to you about the house?” Jenny recalled him saying.

“I said, ‘We have an attorney you can talk to.’ And he said, ‘That won’t be necessary. I already own it.’”

Montana’s Chapter 13 trustee, Robert Drummond, said Synergy was sanctioned $45,000 for the Little case and two others in which Montana residents lost their homes, but settled for about a third of that. “The victims aren’t sophisticated,” he said. “This probably goes on a lot more than we think.”

Added William Mark Bonney, Chapter 13 Trustee for the Eastern District of Oklahoma: “Everybody I’m aware of who used Synergy lost their property.”
“We’re talking millions of dollars”

Court documents say Marinelli led Synergy’s legal operations, although he wasn’t licensed in most states where Synergy did business. His New Jersey license was suspended indefinitely in 2017 for not cooperating with an investigation. His Washington, D.C. license was suspended soon after.

The company claimed it had a network of experienced local attorneys who would help clients with their bankruptcies. That, too, often turned out to be less than advertised, according to court filings. Several local lawyers supposedly working for Synergy were surprised to learn of the affiliation.

“I know nothing about any of these cases,” Mark Anderson, a lawyer whose name appeared on several Synergy bankruptcy filings in Montana, wrote in a 2018 affidavit.

Taken together, “You would think that it would be pretty easy to shut down,” Bonney said. “But I don’t know why nothing seems to have happened. I’m pretty frustrated with the U.S. Trustee system’s inability to shut them down. We’re talking millions of dollars.”

Although bankruptcy courts follow federal law and are overseen by the Washington-based U.S. Trustee Program, part of the Department of Justice, the system is fragmented, not only among types of bankruptcy but also among individual courts. Bankruptcy judges’ orders typically apply only locally, said Gonzalez, the Houston attorney: “Judges only have piecemeal authority.”

Texas Southern District Chapter 13 Trustee David Peake added that communication among trustees tends to be informal, shared in listservs and continuing education conferences. So warnings about unscrupulous companies can be slow to spread, even as the number of victims grows.

After battling Synergy in several cases since 2017, a Kansas judge ordered the company to stop filing its clients’ bankruptcy cases in any federal court — but it continued in other states. Last spring, Bankruptcy Judge Marvin Isgur, of the Southern District of Texas, ordered it to stop filing in Texas. Yet the company later filed two more cases, in the state’s Eastern and Western districts, documents show.

In Louisiana, consumer attorney Samuel Ford began researching Synergy after being contacted by a woman who claimed the company had taken her money without authorization. He quickly found decisions from the many individual courts that had fined or banned Synergy - in Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Virginia, Maryland, Vermont, South Carolina, Georgia and Tennessee, among others.

“But it was strange there wasn’t some big fraud alert,” Ford said. “They were absolutely terrible and hurt so many people. It’s weird they were able to do what they were for so long without being shut down.”

A spokeswoman for the U.S. Trustee’s office in Washington, which has authority to issue system-wide orders, declined to comment, citing ongoing litigation.
“We’re homeless at the moment”

Synergy may have continued operating under the radar if it weren’t for Marinelli conducting some outside business. In June 2017 he purchased a real estate abstract company in a small town in eastern Pennsylvania, said Eric Kerchner, chief detective for Monroe County.

Marinelli was arrested a year later for an array of offenses, including not paying closing fees from real estate sales and bouncing checks. He also was alleged to have forged documents in several real estate sales - and, according to local court filings, continued even after being arrested and released on bond. Eventually, he served four months in jail.

All that was too late to alert the Joneses, of New Braunfels. “We’re homeless at the moment, mostly staying with family,” Ron Jones said.

In March 2019, the couple contacted the Texas Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending, which issued a cease and desist order and fined Marinelli $25,000. But “I don’t think we’re ever going to get the money,” said Garcia, the agency’s lawyer.

That’s because six months ago Synergy itself filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The full breadth of the company’s damage is still unknown. The filing lists more than 500 clients — nearly 60 from Texas — seeking reimbursement or other payment from the company, said Marc Albert, trustee on the case. But “at this point there’s not much, if any money in the company.”

Meanwhile, old clients who call Synergy’s phone number are being directed to a new company called Themis Law. According to corporate filings, it was founded last June by Maresca, Synergy’s previous owner, and a Florida attorney, Sam Babb III. In a short interview, Babb said his company has nothing to do with Synergy and he had no contact information for Maresca.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Okay, what does "expired on Friday" mean if someone was able to exercise on Saturday?

It means the author is using sloppy language. Auto exercise will happen at the close of trading on friday, but the position may not show up in a retail investor's account until the following day.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It's a wild time in PetroLand. Fuels and lubes demand fell off a cliff, but the chem part of petrochemicals is still roaring along. This has created a huge product mix problem for the refineries where they want to keep refining chemical feed stocks, but they are literally running out of room to store the refined products nobody wants right now. (Crude producers at least have the option to keep it in the ground. Can't do that with gasoline). Many have resorted to renting idle tankers, filling them with refined product, and parking them in the Gulf. That'll work for another week or two and then? Who knows.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oh my god that is the worst commercial in the universe

The commercial is awesome. Too bad they pulled a GM and squandered it on the ELR instead of announcing the Elmiraj would go to production.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Why does a Unix admin pay $400 a month to deliver pizzas in a truck?

He has got to be the only pizza delivery driver in the us with actual commercial vehicle insurance.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

kw0134 posted:

Because this is America I'm not sure what's the lesser evil, that you're so poor that if you get into an at-fault accident that results in damages greater than the legal minimum of your insurance you're judgment proof anyway and have nothing to give, or that the poor schmuck who crossed paths with your is now also destroyed since he has no real recourse for fate making GBS threads on him.

This is what Un-/Under- insured motorist coverage is for. Like Umbrella policies, it is not particularly expensive for most people, and it can ensure you don't get kicked in the nuts twice in a situation like that.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

The Californian parents who adopted a bunch of black kids for inspirational likes then drove them all off a cliff.

Wait, what?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

At today's close, Tesla has a market cap of $464B and a PE of 1300. They are far and away the most valuable automaker and that market cap is about as much as #2-7 are worth, combined, or a third of the total global market cap for automobile manufacturing. Which makes total sense seeing as how 1 out of every 3 cars sold worldwide is a Tesla.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Trucks with mortgage payments are definitely a thing

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

TLX is a $40k car. How on earth do you get a $900 lease payment on one?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

CUV driver spotted

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

some guy posted:

Very truthfully, I couldn’t stomach the depreciation of actually purchasing a 60k car. However, I might try to wangle myself into a financial position of leasing the car, ideally through a car broker. That way you’re not subject to the massive depreciation of purchasing a 60k car, you’re not forced into the repair schedule of a 60k car, and you don’t have to forge a relationship with a repair guy for a 60k car. You can also trade it in for a car with newer technology, sooner than you could if you owned it.

I am amazed at the number of people who are otherwise GWM that don't understand leasing.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

It took a few years of campaigning, but the adults in my family finally agreed to a white elephant gift exchange. Life is so much better this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

They'll earn another origination fee, which is how the mortgage industry makes its money. Investors buy the MBS and get your interest payments, so the mortgage originator really doesn't care too much about that.

If your current terms are that uncompetitive with the current market, they figure it's only a matter of time until you re-fi anyway, so they might as well beat the competition to the punch and have you re-fi with them.