Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Paul ReiserFS posted:

How do you option out a $32k Camry

Does it have a smaller second car inside it

32 honestly sounds a little low for a top trim, all options Camry. The Toyota and Honda econoboxes got big, loaded, and hell of expensive sometime in the last 10 years. They're still boring as hell, but they're not starter cars anymore. Not going to price because I'm on mobile rn, but if that's truly the highest, color me surprised.

Just what kind of bowl of plain oatmeal of a person 1. buys a Camry as an under 40 single person with no kids 2. Finances it at 6%+ for six GD years? If you're going to light money on fire anyway, just buy the drat Mustang at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Coworker told me it's not smart to invest in my company's 401k cause the stock market could crash when I retire and I might lose everything. Instead invest in an MLM she's in cause they guarantee if the market crashes I'll keep what I had invested.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/adpm9i/coworker_told_me_its_not_smart_to_invest_in_my/

Imagine, if you will:

The year is 2024. The markets have crashed, Wall Street is a wasteland. Executives and traders in tattered suits huddle in the lobbies of banks, terrified of the guillotine mobs, burning whatever they can find to keep warm. The cash and those few who tried to hold onto it were burned what seems like ages ago; the deposit slips were the first to go, followed closely by the HELOC and car loan documents. The citizens have begun to starve as agriculture halted; without farm insurance, the farmers all lost their tractors and combines and have hanged themselves. Silicon Valley, chronically malnourished from Soylent-only diets, fell to an especially virulent strain of flu for which no one was vaccinated. Those few venture capitalists and computer programmers who remained were rounded up and locked inside Starbucks stores to eventually starve while thinking up new ways to disrupt coffee brewing. Las Vegas, with no electricity to run the lights and no tourists to lose their shirts, has been reclaimed by the desert and her desiccated, peeling denizens continue to live in fear of some specter known only as messikins.

The only people still holding to some shred of humanity and civilization are those who walk in ugly, sheer tights, drinking horribly flavored shakes, made wealthy by their investments in whole life insurance, kept sparkling and beautiful with their drop-shipped cosmetics and fingernail stickers.

...If only I'd gotten in early... trembles on the wind

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Magissima posted:

BWM 2019: You don't have the money to play starving artist

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Patronage, but not patreon actual old school Medici style patronage

Let me just say, patronage is awesome, especially when you sleep with your patron.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't understand why this continues to work. I can't ask my female friends because I don't want to sound judgemental.

It's not exactly black magic why it works; marketing is the application of psychology to prey on people's fears and vanity. When it comes to marriage and relationships, most women have been socialized to expect a husband to take care of them in some way, or at least be able to. Not only does the ring help quantify that mate's value as a provider, it signals how much they value you. Most people when asked are going to tell you that money alone doesn't make a good mate, but when you present them with a situation in which someone spends less than the norm on them, they get uncomfortable and dissatisfied. There's the joke about the guy who takes a woman to McDonald's for a date and only lets her order off the dollar menu; everyone knows this guy isn't worth seeing again and he's a comical dirtbag figure. Add in that it's taboo to talk about money except obliquely and in jokes, yet everyone is interested in what others make/have, and you end up with this hosed up situation in which everyone is in a competition to light the most money on fire. Rings are a huuuge status symbol among many women. I'm fortunate in being rainman's cousin so most of that stuff just doesn't work on me, but I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't very pleased that my husband could and was willing to spend 3 months on a ring if I wanted one.

It's objectively dumb to spend money on things you can't afford, but at a certain point it just comes down to preferences and values. I don't wear much jewelry and a lot of the reasons its worn just don't interest me, so a large outlay for it is bananas for me. That said, I'm sure many people would think my hobby expenses are stupid af.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I know a guy who takes his Tinder dates to an Arby's right next to his house.

Once they commit to a date, almost none of them back out after he suggests Arby's and several of them have come back for round 2.

Honestly that's just hilarious. Is this guy a lot of fun to be around?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Murderball posted:

Does knowingly dating someone who is questionable with financial decisions and wide eyes for future spending make me The BWM?

It's probably BWM if you consider the likelihood of that getting out of hand, and def BWM if that's defined as anything that doesn't increase your net worth. But if what you get out of it is worth it to you and you're well-prepared for the future, what difference does it make?

Joke's on me if that was rhetorical :v:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

It could very well be the difference between drinking San Pellegrino for the rest of your life or tap water. Why roll the dice? It is important to date someone with the same GWM lifestyle as you: have lots of money, never spend any money, and drink plenty of San Pellegrino.

How do you get the Pellegrino without spending money, though?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Free condoms feel terrible and are way too big tho

You wanna be the future ex-Mr. Ghost?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

TraderStav posted:

My God this is my kind of art right here.

Please write a short story.

Sorry I only write Power Rangers slashfic

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The shutdown is showing both the distressing number of Americans living paycheck to paycheck, and also those with no living expenses saved up. I know it’s a ridiculous situation not at all their fault and they should be getting paid, but still crazy how missing two weeks of pay immediately requires food banks to be set up for Coast Guard workers.

With the low unemployment rates I wonder how many TSA workers are getting better gigs and not coming back.

I'd be surprised if they're getting better permanent gigs, benefits in the public sector tend to suck. Leon Trotsky would know better, but I'm pretty sure fed benefits are still better than equivalent private sector jobs; I used to get like 18 days of vacation and insurance sucked, but good luck taking more than a week at a time unless you're on disability.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 12, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'm honestly surprised he is being allowed to carry a constant negative balance.

I'd be real surprised if he's been doing this more than a month or two. They'll wait until it goes positive again, take the money to cover the fees/overage, then immediately cut him off from overdraws and/or close the account. My guess is 90 days at most.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

Why would they do that? You allow three figures in overdraft privilege, collect ~$100 in fees every month... locking him out of that would be very BWM on the bank's part, especially since they probably know he's in the military and they can always go to his CO if he stops paying.

Beats me, but I've seen it done. Only thing I can think of is they don't want the risk or there's some lending regulation it runs afoul of (not that I can think of one).

I brought you guys some BWM:

Fortnite Streamer's Friend Gives him $75k Donation

Exotic Chaotic posted:

“My girlfriend has worked full-time to support my career as a Fortnite streamer, so I owe it to her and my four-year-old son to protect and grow this money for their futures.”

Kotaku posted:

Exotic Chaotic said his friendship with KingMascot arose from their shared passion for collecting every cosmetic available in Fortnite, but he was “very surprised” about the donation.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Harry posted:

Sounds like something covered under different laws.

It says right in the article there's no legal process to deal with debt acquired by coercion, such as an abuser forcing a spouse to open an account (which is partly why this type of abuse is so successful at isolating people who are abused).

What other laws is it covered under?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Got this chain email this morning.

"They say don't try to time the market, but you're so smart and handsome and smell nice so here's how to time the market!"

What's the overlap on people who like football enough to identify teams as Mighty and Evil (Take Your Meds for a thousand, Alex) and people who know enough about the stock market to recognize this bullshit, do you suppose?

Of course he's trying to sell precious metals. You should ask him from a burner email if he has any prep kit companies he likes for investing and report back.

George H.W. oval office posted:

BWM for all of us. New guy at work went to ITT Tech for 40k using the GI Bill for an associates degree. Yikes

Can you see if this guy has a pulse? How do you otherwise stay in long enough to get GI Bill and not get a free AS from the military?

For-profit schools should have been perma-banned from all federal funds. It's almost as if lobbying has fundamentally compromised the most basic functions of government.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 16, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Droo posted:

Yes, the party that chose Betsy Devos to run stuff is exactly the same as the party that created the CFPB and reduced IBR plan payments from 15% to 10% while also expanding the number of people qualified for the cap. Both sides, you see

Hey look I hate your party and you hate mine so they're equal, duh

so much for the tolerant left

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought there might be something more to it, but if you look at his rap sheet it is nearly all probations because a mod doesn't agree with his/her point of view. And this was in C-spam, not in D&D, which makes it even more strange since C-Spam is supposed to b a lot more tolerant of bullshitting and poo poo posting.

Agree 100%. Most of that didn't even seem to warrant a probation (unless there's a weird rule in there because I didn't read them), let alone a permaban.

Dik Hz posted:

Can we let him rereg and helldump him to BFC?

Please can we do this?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Marie Kondo makes me feel so calm and happy. I also got hell of OCD tho so I could spend 14 hours just folding things into perfect little rectangles and ironing my socks. Bit of a balancing act.

GWM: getting so caught up in menial tasks that you forget to eat (and spend less money on food)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Option 1 will not work. When the bank asks him what he wants the loan for and he says "car", they will stop considering him for a personal loan and review him for an auto loan, and I would be shocked if they give him enough to cover the negative equity (if anything). The other option, of course, is to lie, which would be even more BWM when that implodes and the best case scenario is that they accelerate the loan.

slidebite posted:

What the gently caress is this trainwreck and why is getting lovely loans on used cars you cannot afford normalized?

The advertising industry, stagnant wages, and insufficient/ineffective consumer protections?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Lol, no. We write loans for this situation fairly frequently. You get the unsecured rate and better have a risk profile that allows for an unsecured loan, but it gets done. Nobody much gives a drat if you lie about the purpose of an unsecured loan as long as you don't use it for an illegal purpose. When I had a portfolio I just assumed people wanted cash to blow and worked from there.

I stand corrected.

Why get a personal loan for a vehicle? If you have the risk profile for a personal loan, why not use that to get an auto loan with more favorable terms?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

howdoesishotweb posted:

:lol:

Yesterday on the way to preschool my 3 year old puked all over the backseat of my S5. Kids are a reason to downgrade, not the other way around.

I think in this context "nicer" means "not breaking down all the time"

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Bajaha posted:

Very common problem that employers take advantage of without any thought is that employees treat their interactions with the business as a personal relationship rather than viewing things through a business relationship lense.

More commonly you see this as workers accepting being overworked and understaffed since they view it as helping out their friends/coworkers rather than a failure of the company to ensure they have an adequate work force to handle the work load.

This is just an extreme case of that mentality and I hope they snap out of it.

Keeps them coming in when they're sick and taking much longer to quit when they realize it's BS, too. It's so scummy to take advantage of employees.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

As first bootlicker?

Second bootlicker. I want him hungry (I guess literally) for the top role.

e:

Residency Evil posted:

Any of you dudes watch these two Fyre documentaries? Pump that poo poo in to my veins.

IDK if you've been on the internet lately, but there was a Bahamian restaurant owner who ended up fronting 50k out of her own savings in addition to whatever assets the restaurant had and obviously got no payment from Fyre. She'd originally asked for ~120k I think, presumably to recover savings and whatever operating funds she lost for the restaurant, and last I checked, fundraising was around 145k. I only watched the Netflix one, but it seemed as if she didn't have a contract with Fyre but had ended up serving Fyre guests who showed up to her place because Fyre drivers had dropped them off there. If she did have a contract, I'm not sure why she didn't require a down payment and scheduled payments afterward. So not the best business decision as far as mitigating possible losses, but she did get rolled pretty hard.

Unsurprisingly, a bunch of people continued to work for Fyre on both the festival and app side despite missed paychecks and at least one of the dudes put charges of 100k+ on his personal Amex. I've said it before, but startups definitely select for people who will put up with BS, seek approval from their bosses, and see the relationships as personal instead of business. Nowhere was that more evident than in this documentary.

The most horrifying/shocking thing of all (you really have to see this to believe it) is 30-year veteran promoter/organizer Andy King's interview. Up to this point, Andy really seems like an indulgent but otherwise fairly responsible dad-figure. When I first saw him, from the way he talked about McFarland I thought he was actually his dad. There are takes all over, but you have to watch his interview. McFarland had not paid the import fees on a few truckloads of bottled water for the festival so customs consequently refused to release the water. McFarland calls up King and says something like, "You're our dear gay leader. I need you to suck this guy's dick so he'll release the water." At first you're thinking, oh man he must have been really hurt and offended that McFarland would say that. NO. King goes home, takes a shower, then drives over to the customs facility 100% intending to suck this guy's dick. He does not come to his senses on the way over. He doesn't say what, if anything, he said or did to the head of customs, but King says he didn't suck his dick, the agent was very kind, and agreed to release the water as long as they were the first ones paid. My husband and I sat there for like 10 minutes just trying to wrap our heads around it.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 27, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Crosspost from the milsurp thread

Tolstoy was BWM

Ok, but was that horse a tricked out pickup or a brand new base trim econobox?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Edit: BUT ALSO HOW THE HELL can any view in Iowa be worth that?

Uh, parks and lakes are pretty?

E:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Here's how you loving self-post you goddamn chimp:

On Saturday my wife and I went to look at a $1.8M house that occupies the entirety of a 5 acre peninsula jutting out into a State Park. The peninsula is surrounded on 3 sides by protected land and thus enjoys panoramic 270 degree views of the lake. It has 6,000 square feet and an electric bill of more than $500 a month.

To swing this transaction I'd have to subdivide out 2 acres from the front (almost impossible without a sustainability and engineering survey - TREE LAW - and sell one to my mother and father in law and another to my brother and sister in law. Even building the whole thing out as a compound, my wife and I would be living hand to mouth for 4 years until we hit loan forgiveness, at which point (and only after this point) would the mortgage be less than 50% of our take-home pay every single month.

Don't you guys clear like $500k between the two of you? Your loan payments take up that much of your take-home?

Why don't you just get really BWM and take out a longer mortgage?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 29, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BWM is trying to heat an apt with ancient rear end, leaky double glazed windows when it's -33.

I can't get warm. Someone just kill me.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Cats seem a bit withholding with their affection so it can feel like you've earned it, providing not only the physical comfort but the idea that you are worthy of something nice.

I also want a cat but my husband is allergic so I got a pair of rats instead. They were free because someone "couldn't afford to keep them" (was a hoarder and voluntarily surrendered them rather than going to jail). I'm happy with my purchase.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

aphid_licker posted:

Once you got a pair they basically hoard themselves

Counterpoint: they're not Jurassic Park dinosaurs with the ability to spontaneously switch sex to reproduce.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I tend to inspire self-improvement everywhere I go

I don't care what anyone says, I think you're a good poster.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

Buying a bunch of crap is ridiculous to go hunting once, ever. Sidle up and make friends with someone who can bring you along on a hunt and will lend you gear or weapons, and pay more than your share for food, lease, transportation, lodging, etc. in return. And promise not to bitch about getting up early or going out in the cold.

Then if you enjoy it, you can look at whether you want to :homebrew: get into a new hobby :homebrew:

(Autocorrect almost had me writing "get into a new chubby", which isn't too far off the way some people spend on something they just decided to pick up).

K but what if you don't have friends

E: in my heart we're still in BFC so here's the latest crypto story that gave me a giggle

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/digital-exchange-loses-137-million-as-founder-takes-passwords-to-the-grave/

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 2, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

nwin posted:

Depends where they live, as I’m guessing he’s factoring BAH into it. As an E-4, he’s probably bringing in 2500/month in actual pay but maybe an extra 3k for housing if he’s somewhere like Boston or San Francisco.

How'd this 20 year old make E4 is my question.

E: nm Army

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 3, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

Pretty sure you can get E-3 out of basic and then get promoted within a couple of years.

I was thinking of USAF, where you need like 3 years in service before you can promote even if you enlist at e-3.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i really don't get how people fail to keep up on oil changes which are a) predictable b) inexpensive and c) prevent catastrophic failures of extremely expensive parts of your car

I suspect it has more to do with inconvenience than price. Basically anyone with a couple working brain cells can do an oil change, but even wrench monkeys don't do their own because it's messy and a pain unless you have a lift. If you take it to a shop, you may have just paid $50+ for them to leave out your drain plug, forget to put new oil in it, and/or not replace the filter; if you take it to the dealer, it'll take all day and maybe have the same results (my dealer managed to not gently caress up the oil change part, but did consistently fail to do any of the other 'extra' services while marking them done). I once had mine done by an independent shop who not only did not replace the oil cap he'd left on the edge of the engine compartment, he slammed the drat hood on it so the edge stuck up when I picked up my car.

Nocheez posted:

I wish my bro was doing LeMons. Instead, he races "street stock" which are RWD American V8s. He has exactly zero dollars saved for retirement at age 47. I think his plan is to work until he has a heart attack, which is a bad plan when you drive big rigs.

Excuse you, that's a brilliant plan, just ask my former-trucker dad who died of a heart attack at 55 (not on the road).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

JRay88 posted:

What round for lifesized spongebob target?

.50 AE

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I'm gonna fill in the blanks:
they deposited a $1500 check, and then cashed it out and spent some and sent the rest back to the sugar momma who accidentally had written too large of a check, and then it turned out the check was fake and the bank wants its money back, because that "sugar momma" just happens to have been a Nigerian princess

Reddit OP denies this, though.

I'm keeping my eyes on that thread, I want to know what happens. Very hard not to touch the poop.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Propaniac posted:

Lots of recent Reddit posts containing the BWM tidbit that OP didn't bother to save copies of past years' tax returns.

On a similar note, I hate posts where OP hasn't bothered to hang on to a copy of a lease or another active or recent contract worth thousands of dollars of their money. And they'll say something like, "I signed it months ago so I no longer have it," like that makes it logical that at some point you picked it up and threw it away instead of at least jamming it into a shoebox or taking a picture of it.

I think a lot of people get burned by TurboTax, thinking since they used it for their taxes they can access them later. Then, obviously, TT wants $50 for access to previous year returns. It's horseshit.

As dumb as it is, I can see why people don't have copies of their leases. More and more places have switched to electronic delivery and signature, and some systems actually don't let you get back in to view it or print it after a certain period of time (that they don't tell you about beforehand).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Want a bigger refund? Just use this one weird trick the IRS doesn't want you to know about!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Library says my girlfriend is on the hook for 650 dollars of movies her mom rented with her card when she was 5.

Yep, I am sure that is enforceable.

That's bananas. Years ago I had a couple DVDs out when my car decided to blow the head gasket. I called and asked if I could drop them off at another branch (they did inter-library loans between cities) and they were like 'nope sorry'. Then when I brought them back and went to pay the fines, they had been deleted. :iiam:

That's my tale.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Barry posted:

Someone PM me when the thread is back in BFC, thanks

Me too, didn't realize e/n was just an extra lovely version of D&D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Transamerica is a pyramid scheme gone legit. It sells a real product, but the people selling insurance are about as well trained as the guy selling Cutco knives and it’s just about as difficult to make a living at it.

The fact they could build an iconic skyscraper with all their earnings makes it worse.

I feel like whatever they gain in selling a real product, they lose in misrepresenting it in a very illegal way.