Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

I'm confused...

Looks like MSRP on that trim was around $30k. $454/mo for 8 years is $43.5k. Back-calculating using the rate quoted with $0 down and no trade-in, they financed appx. $38k on a $30k minivan...?

Tax/title is not $8k. Either they decked it out with stupid options (lol TV screens), or they rolled another loan in to it.

All around BWM.

Also confused fully specced 2019 is 36,100 without rebates / haggling etc. (Even with the silly DVD screen, rims running boards all the stuff)

Totally rolled in another upside-down car loan. When. You have An 8 year loan expect to be underwater for 4-5 years. By they time it will be a huge hunk of poo poo because it's an fca van.

Or I guess maybe they bought it with minimal haggling and also bought into the 3 year extra warranty for 4 grand.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

3 spots for bwm bingo.

Mustang, cash advance from cc (3 actually),. negative equity.

use credit card advance to pay for underwater car loan? posted:

tl;dr - After rolling along negative equity from multiple vehicles, I ended up paying $34k for a new vehicle worth ~$24k. I have paid the vehicle loan down to $25,500, and can do a shortsell at CarMax/Carvana for ~$20k. (Private sales near me are going for ~$1500 more, but not worth the headache to me) Should I use my credit card cash advances to be able to sell this vehicle immediately, and not continue to fight against depreciation/mental burden?

Now for the real post: I am 25 years old working in digital marketing with a salary of ~$48-55k/yr. My major debts are school loans and my car, which are at $14k and $25.5k, respectively; and no personal/credit card debt.

Although I am happy with the vehicle purchases I have made over the past few years since entering the work force (CPO Camry, to CPO BMW 3-series, to new Ford Mustand), I am beginning to look to the future, and the allure of home ownership and no vehicle debt is really appealing. I'd like to start saving for a larger apartment (currently 560 sqft for 2 people), as well as eventually for a home down payment. I understand the negative equity I've been rolling along with these car purchases has been a major burden on my finances, but I have been able to successfully manage my debts and to me, this cost is worth the experiences I've enjoyed with these vehicles.

I want to sell the car as quickly as possible. After a recent credit card approval (thx FICO score of 790!), I now have the available funds as credit card cash advances to pay it down and sell it this weekend.

Savings: 1100

Credit card cash advance 1: 3000 @ 27.24 APR with 5% fee of $150

Credit card 2: 1100 @ ~27% APR and 3% fee of $33

Credit card 3: 600 @ ~28% APR with 5% fee of 30

So when putting it all together : 25500 - 1100 - 3000 - 1100 - 600 = $19700, which should be low enough to sell quickly. I would accumulate fees of <$250, but I predict that is equivalent to the amount I would pay over 6 months of additional depreciation.

I would be fighting off higher interest rates for the cash advances, but with an aggressive payment schedule I would have these resolved in about 5 months.

My family has several vehicles I can choose to drive, all older fully paid vehicles with lower insurance rates.

To finish painting the full picture, here are my monthly expenses, which I am including to satisfy any curiosity, but am aware of what can be cut back and changed.

Rent: 768

Student loans: 175

Car payment: 440

Car insurance: 138

Phone: 55

Utilities: 50

Internet: 90 (could be cut back but I live my life on the internet :D)

Food, entertainment, all other expenses: 600 (working on cutting back on this)

remainder goes into savings and investment accounts and some few fun things

My thought process goes like this: although I could earn a bit more from a private sale, I don't want the burden of dealing with the bank and a private seller, nor do I really want to spare the time doing this outside of work, so it's a small price to pay for the ease. And although I could simply continue to pay the car aggressively while owning it, the idea of having no car loan (and a much lower monthly minimum) feels like a great warmth from a safety blanket I could achieve in just a few days. I know there are better options if I just had some patience, but I just wanted to get the thoughts from Reddit before I tried anything. I hope you understand where I'm coming from, and how the allure of removing a huge debt feels like a great burden being lifted, but if you think the idea is truly too stupid to attempt please let me know and I'll try my best not to take it personally :P

Yep let's use a highest interest rate available for a loan.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Xenocides posted:

I heard a coworker bragging about she turned down a raise and a bonus to avoid the next tax bracket. She complains endlessly about how she does not get paid enough.

People this dumb deserve what they get.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah some guy on reddit bought an M2 and was only able to put $1,000 on a credit card. Why even bother allowing ANY of it on CC at that point

cash advance brah.. 0% for 6 months or something I dunno.

anyone buying a 12 year old mustang for their primary transportation is good at being BWM / making bad decisions.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^^^ shhhhhhhh shhhhhhh.. the card says 0%!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Friends don't let friends crypto

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This person is going to send the money and going to get scammed when their bank account goes negative because the money isn't there...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Divorce is final this month, so I guess not enough?

Divorce generally is BWM but GWL.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How do you end up owing 40k unless you're a moron and don't periodically check the IRS calculation

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Stolen from relationshits thread.

bad with money nerd posted:

I am using a throwaway since I am moderator on several of the subs that have to do with my hobby of cosplay, anime and hentai. 

This is one of those ones where I see my self as being 80% right but I want to be fair because honestly I depend on my parents for a lot of stuff (rent, tuition, food, car insurance). 

I am huge into cosplay and gaming. It has been my dream to go to a big convention in my cosplay. A friend suggested we got to LVL UP since it has everything we like. The badges aren't super expensive but we decided we wanted to super splurge on accomodations so maybe we could host parties in our room. So the total cost of my trip including everything (airfare, room, estimate for food, badge) is about $3500. I had $2000 that I was supposed to pay towards my credit card but I decided to get the rest I would get a pay day loan this was back in march so the trip is all paid for. 

I wanted to keep it a secret from my parents but I accidentally missed my first payment to the pay day loan and for some god knows how reason the people at the pay day loan place did a search for my name since I as ducking their calls until I could borrow some money from a friend and they called my parents home number looking for me (I can't even imagine this is legal!?!) 

So here's the deal, I'm no like so dense that I don't understand I messed up. I mean I know that I NEED to pay my debts. But here's the deal, I mean I'm only in college once and I only get to do things like LVLUP while I'm young. I also think this was a very normal mistake and my parents should give me enough room to make mistakes and learn from them. 

But my parents are freaking the hell out. My dad has basically said this is it, that after the credit card debt and my grades and now the pay day loan and missing a payment I have shown a level if irresponsibility that he can't trust me any more and I either move home to go to community college and work for his company or he cuts me off for good. As harsh as that was my mom was even worse and she literally screamed at me like cussing names and told me that they didn't raise me like this and I acting like a "spoiled Instagram rear end in a top hat." 

edit: just for clarification I'm 20f. 

Like I said I KNOW I messed up, but am I really an rear end in a top hat?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$1,200 in food for two
$1,800 for "stuff like soap"
Tons of categories just totally missing

It's a zuarauga Budget.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh on a mirage... Those are what like 10k new these days?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's CarMax not mitsu.

Mitsu will do anything to sell cars to anyone who will buy one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I love that his friend has made all payments etc. Reddit basically said 'whats your problem again?' to the op.

I have a friend here who jeeps trying to justify trading his car in because it'll lose so much more after 100k. Like a car from 60->70k miles loses more value per mile than a vehicle going from 90k->100k. Every time he brings this up I say 'just say you want a newer vehicle, don't justify it with that dumbass assumption'

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 6, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Was that typo intentional? If so, well done.

It was not but very appropriate, he really wants a Jeep.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yes they hold their value well to be near gwm.

Bad with money is he wants a pre-lifted (by PO) newer one so in the 30k range. But just because they look cool and he can take the doors/roof off. He will not be taking it off road. He still wants a lifted one despite one dealers telling him specifically 'we don't take in or sell lifted ones because you don't know how well the job has been done'. He has no mechanical ability at all or desire to work on one so he'll be at the BWM dealership getting it fixed for $$$. I can't convince him he wants an 90s Jeep he can learn to wrench on and have fun with & keep his daily driver because with his 30 mile highway commute that tops coming off and back on like 1 time before he realizes it's a huge pain in the dick to put on every Sunday night to go back to work on Monday with.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

how do I finance a car while I am hiding my current one from being repossessed posted:

When I was 18 (I’m 22 now) and went to buy a car, I found out there was credit fraud under my name which gave me terrible credit and made me unable to buy a car. I had a friend who had connections to a dealership, so I was able to get an ok/used car however the catch of course was an insanely high interest rate.

Due to a death in the family, I fell behind on my car payments (I’m currently 5 months behind) and I’m debating what to do with my car (I have it hidden).

I got a very good new job and am now located in a different city from where my car is. I really need a car here to get around, so I’m trying to weigh my options and determine whether I should find a way to pay off my currently car (there’s about $5000 left on it) or somehow get rid of it and get a new car.

My credit has obviously declined due to me falling so far behind on payments; I feel stuck and not sure what to do. I can afford to put about $3000 down on a new car which I think at this point would be a better option even if the payments/interest is a bit high.

Any tips or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I don’t really have any family I can talk to that can offer help.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 10, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I was just about to post horsemom

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Finance company may deal with him out they'd rather have cash than a lovely cat sold at auction... But also since he's 5 months behind and actively trying to hide it.... Probably not going to be able to fix it unless he buys it outright from them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It doesn't, maybe a veryBWM buy here pay here would do it. Guy ain't getting financed for anything.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I saw that and was like wtf that's such a poo poo lease. Could have gotten Soo many cars for 300 a month. Or like bought a 3 year old accord for like 250/mo.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Trucks.. Very BWM.. Lets trade in our truck so I can "save" money for when I buy a bronco.

quote:

I currently have a 10 year old F-150 with 198k miles. As of now the truck's value is probably around 7-8k dollars, but it runs fine and I do all the timely maintenance on it. I love the truck and it does everything I need it to.

I'm very interested in the Ford Bronco that is set to come out in about 2 years and so I'm wondering would it make sense to trade in my current truck for a truck that is known for holding its value, like a Tacoma, in the meantime? A quick search shows the average Tacoma holds 72% of its value after 3 years.

So my question is, does it make sense to invest in a new truck when I don't particularly need to, in order to use the residual value of a newer truck towards a new bronco?

Thanks in advance for the help!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wonder what those 7600 in bills are on top of debt... What licence do you have that you lose with bankruptcy?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If your reaction to someone having six figures of medical debt is anything other than "the system is broken" your brain is actually ruined, IMHO

There are no "lessons" to be learned in the American health care system, Jesus.

I mean dude hosed up by 1. Not having insurance. And 2. Not working with the hospital and putting it on an Amex.

If they would have stuck with it being medical debt they could have worked a reasonable cost and payment plan with the hospital. They probably would have chopped it in half and worked out a payment plan. But hospital isn't going to refund poo poo since they got paid.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's only human to look at someone's misfortune and say "it's their own fault (and thus could never happen to me)."

But take a holistic view here and consider that two generations of financial security, a marriage, a man's actual health, and his relationship with his kids have all been ruined by putting ink on paper at the wrong place or wrong time.

Sure there were moments where he contributed to or guaranteed this outcome, but if you think he's ultimately responsible you're basically blaming a rape victim for dressing like they wanted it

I hear you and I'm not putting that blame on the OP the system is hosed for sure, and this shouldn't even be a conversation. But dude should have looked at options before palm slapping 130k on his credit card.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

On the flipside, it ends up being BWTime sometimes because I'll spend a half hour trying to get the ABSOLUTE BEST DEAL on something and saving like $2.

My issue with coupons is that 1. you have to spend 20 min trying to combine all that poo poo to get a free $1 bag of pasta. The other issue is that in order to save 50 cents on tuna you need to buy 4 tins, which I wasn't going to buy anyways.

Generally from what I've read about the extreme coupon show on TLC is that a lot of times they are gaming the system knowing that the coupon said 3 12oz packages but you can get away with 3 8oz packages etc. gently caress wasting all that time and effort to save myself $10 at the grocery store, meanwhile now I have 42 bottles of loving Gatorade that I wasn't going to buy anyways.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Barry posted:

That and it's all super processed shelf stable food. Ain't no extreme couponing for vegetables.

I remember there was a thread here years ago for extreme couponing and the regular posters just had mountains and mountains of air fresheners, toothpaste, deodorant, candles, cereal, mac&cheese, etc. Like more than you could conceivably use in a lifetime. It was weird.

This too. Like I rarely eat lovely prepackaged hamburger helper and mac-n-cheese. My grocery cart is usually 60% veggies 40% meats, not boxes of cereal etc.

edit: aint no one got buy a tomato get a tomato 1/2 off coupon.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 17, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm the Bitcoin investment book. :zaurag:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We did eat our way through a $1,000 ham one time though.

Was this ham soaked in rum?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Did you know: you can run 26 miles without being in a marathon ???

don't tell this to zagurgarsz

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

KingSlime posted:

You also get additional fees after more than 3 withdrawals from your savings a month, which for over two decades my stockholm syndrome'd rear end thought was some sort of law. Nope, BoA are just giant dicks

You sure it's not 6.. because that's a Federal law. .

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow lots of new posts some redditor must have done a doozy..... Oh

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wow there is so much stupid in just one Post.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Usually they just move into moms singlewide and wait till she passes away from the sugars or you get insurance money for it burning down because it's packed to the gills with poo poo and you all smoke.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this is what most people dont' understand.

Well if they raise minimum wage everything will be more expensive.
Generally if you raise minimumwage a dollar the cost to sell teh good may go up 10-20% of the wage increase.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's called identity theft, he can call the police

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

The REAL abuse going on is all these welfare queens sponging off hard working Americans! :bahgawd:

A solid improvement; I like it.

Drug test all those weed smoking druggie welfare people.

This turned out bwm for places that did it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Volmarias posted:

GWM for the guy legislating it though, and GWOppression.

if the guy pushing it runs a testing company.. They found that the number of people caught and removed was wayyy less than the number of poeple..
Like they would test 40,000 people at 2k a pop they'd catch 40 people, National average is about 9.3% of people.. welfare results were about 8% of people for the 7 states that lit money on fire.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Droo posted:

Careful Drums could buy himself a new ferrari if not for the sugar taxes tho...

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

someone on Reddit posted:

My gf and I live in Arizona. We went on a week vacation to Texas and on the second day, I snapped both bones in my left leg. I had to go to a hospital in Lake Jackson and then take an hour ambulance ride to Houston to get one of two surgeries. Currently, I have pins in my leg holding my bones together and I have to follow up and get a second surgery in Phoenix when I get back. We still have a 17 hour car ride to get home.

I don’t have health insurance. So this is already costing so much. Also, I’m a bartender so I won’t be able to work for a few months and will have no income.

I’m honestly just so devastated right now. I have no idea what to do or how I’m going to be able to pay for this or make money to help pay bills for the next few months. If anyone has any helpful information about anything, I would be very appreciative.

Since we're done with taxes, Let's talk about how bad American healthcare is next!