Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

They are. Which is why this person almost definitely went to a tribal lender, who are under no such restrictions.

Ahahaha yesss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

therobit posted:

I think "investing" in bitcoin is worse than "investing" in precious metals by a wide margin. At least with gold you can stick it in a safe deposit box and be reasonably sure it will still be there in a few year time and not stolen by Russian teenagers, and that it will be worth something down the road. You can also use it to bribe a border guard for safe passage to the land of maple leaves. Have you ever tried to bribe a border guard with BTC?

I believe we have one documented instance of an attempt. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

golden bubble posted:

Ironically, he was so BWM that it might have been GWM.

RobinHood accidentally allowed him to collateralize more options (up to a total of $250k of leverage) with the legs of other options he had sold, in a convoluted strategy (short box spread) he believed would create a risk-free method of earning $37k, no matter the outcome, from an initial account balance of 5k. Other posters warned him that this wasn't how it was going to work out, and in the aftermath, the user ended up:

In real life, earning a 100% return on the 5k, since RobinHood evidently let him cash out $10k in the account before they closed his account, and liquidated him at an on-paper -$58k loss (-1800%), and caused RH to send a platform wide email disabling option box spread trades for every user, because of this one legendary idiot. But his stupidly was so great, that RobinHood might not want to sue him for the loss, because it would reveal how risk mitigation works (or doesn't work) at RobinHood.

Do you have a link to his original post outlining this great idea? I never use Reddit and can't figure out how to find posts older than about 5 minutes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you cant take a flight attendants passport, else they cant do the fuckin job

Sure they can. They just can't get off the plane ever again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dillbag posted:

Wasn't there a goon addicted to joose (phenazepam) or some other long-life benzo that was working in UAE and was smuggling powder in so he could manage his habit, or was that another instant death penalty country like Saudi Arabia?

BWL but GWM for getting out of your debts by being beheaded.

That's ohnonotme, who now posts as ohyesitsme.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

I mean, seeing toddlers in the college dorms was also pretty uncommon...

NumbersMatching320 posted:

GOD drat BANKING SYSTEM

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

therobit posted:

Lol that comment is on the nose. He should file a wage claim now, hopefully ahead of any other employees filing.

Also LMAO stop working for free, you idiot, you absolute moron.

Canada Bill Jones once said it was morally wrong to allow suckers to keep their money. So the company is obviously morally right here!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Dogs are all the same species and can donate blood to each other with respect to their blood typing rather than breed. Evidently there are common universal donor blood types. Sure enough a little bit of googling revealed horror stories about 150 retired racing greyhounds kenneled at a dog blood bank as blood donation slaves

That's some Stephen King poo poo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ruger GP100 357 mag revolver

Glock 26 9mm subcompact

Walther Q5 Match with Leupold DPP red dot sight

And a Sig Sauer P226 Enhanced Elite 9mm with threaded barrel.

Luckily they did not find/take the suppressor that was in a duffel bag next to it.

Oregon doesn't have a law that would criminalize me for failure to lock them up, but they DO have a law that would criminalize me if they were stolen, not reported, and used to commit a crime. The only time the cops seemed remotely interested in their visit to my house was when I told them I had guns stolen, and their enthusiasm was clearly because they wanted to see me get hosed.

Not securing expensive regulated items: BWM and BWL.

With a haul of handguns like that taken off your hands you'll probably have at least one death on your conscience sometime in the next 18 months. Also great job not locking up the suppressor; if they'd taken that you would be getting considered for federal charges of unauthorized transfer of an NFA item.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The worst Bruce Lee movie.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

"Deagle" used to be a bannable word in TFR. Might still be.

They sell one in gold tiger stripe finish which I cannot hate.

It's not a hanging offense lately.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

OK I just did a quick Nose Beer and also played some Resident Evil 2. Let's see if that pushes this into Games or TCC

shut the gently caress up dumbass

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I'm still not sure wtf is going on (Chase just closed his account because he tried to deposit a bounced check?), but that last sentence is (probably unintentionally) hilarious.

He likely had a history of dumb poo poo at the bank and this was the last straw.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

I hate PayPal and avoid it; I used to make an account anytime something absolutely required it, then delete it afterward, but they stopped letting me do that (they won't even let me create a new account now). Definitely don't link it to your credit union/bank account; at worst, link it to your credit card.

It's been pretty easy to get by without it, honestly. The one time I've needed it in the past year or two, I just asked my roommate to get it for me and paid him back (and even that was just for pre-ordering a game they didn't have on Steam).

I have one linked to a checking account that's isolated from the rest of my finances; no overdraft protection and I transfer money into it to make purchases as I go. Having a meat puppet to do your dirty work is nice when you have the option but that's just shifting the threat to your friend.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We're coming out of the gate strong in E/N.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lowness 72 posted:

It legit looks like DOOM: the bathroom

Bathroom

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Murderball posted:

I live in Australia and got a collect call from the International Drainage Commission in the states. It cost me nine hundred dollars.

Does Australia not warn you that you’re about to accept a collect call?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I realllllllllllllllllly hope you are not serious.

See this? This is my serious typeface.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

baquerd posted:

Plus it's a 100% business expense if used only for ridesharing. So, if the insurance is good and covers the activity in question, the deal starts to look a lot less terrible.

Narrator: But it wasn’t.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BMan posted:

aspartame daddy

:ck5:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Square Peg posted:

Not paying a prostitute is absolutely considered sexual assault in Canada and people have been convicted of it up here, for what it's worth.

Your lawyer can usually get it pled down to theft of services.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sparkmaster posted:

So living on a military base as a civilian.. Good With Apocalypse or Bad With Apocalypse? I can see it going both ways here.

If you’re a woman it’s bad with life to be on a military base regardless of circumstances.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Private sells are terrible. I give poo poo away to avoid Craigslist.

Was the guy who sold a car that broke down and then found his car covered in super-glued pennies from this thread? Yeah, I'll just take the trade-in value thanks.

It depends a lot on where you are and what car you’re trying to unload.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

Holmes can't make any money from these books and documentaries since she committed fraud, right?

She didn’t write or otherwise create any of them so she won’t see a dime regardless of conviction status.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If he’s filed at least once zaurg can’t be this guy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

colachute posted:

drat I need to watch Lord of War and take notes because that seems GWM.

I wouldn’t. The international and military markets work very differently than the US civilian market. Weapons will always be somewhat risky investments due to legislative vulnerability that can make them worthless overnight (see New Zealand and Connecticut) and to a lesser extent social stigma.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

What major gun legislation happened after Connecticut?

The one thing you can be sure about when it comes to mass shootings in the U.S. is that they're great for gun sales.

CT banned ownership, not just sale, of a bunch of types of weapons a couple of years ago so they had to either be surrendered or removed from the state. Something like that turns your $50k machine gun investment into a legal liability (insta jail) overnight.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

According to the Wikipedia article, anything owned before the law went into effect you get to keep, you just have to register.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Connecticut

Yeah, ok I remembered wrong. My main point stands.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

This thread is a glistening obelisk to the reality that anyone can live paycheck to paycheck no matter the size of that paycheck.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Guest2553 posted:

Diversification helps reduce the volatility of betting on any individual horse, I'd look into a cap-weighted horse allocation.

Just say “neigh.”

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Who names these horses, I feel so sorry for them not having "normal" names

SAG rules, they’re not allowed to give them a name that’s already been used.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

can someone link the thread title quotte

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878671&perpage=40&pagenumber=102#post494572834

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: upon reflection from the reply below this probably wasn’t appropriate for the thread. I am not doing a good job of calibrating my jokes recently and probably need to quit for a while.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 29, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

If we are talking about the same thing, that wasn't a CNBC study it was a bloggy article about a retweeted tweet from a finance blogger / Tweeter called Financial Samurai about a possibly fictitious family

Has the financial samurai done the honorable thing and committed financial seppuku after such a shameful blog post?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

The funny thing is, I bet that if you called around enough, you could find a plumber that would be perfectly willing to collude with the venue for a cut of the action.

The more I let you have, the less that I’ll be keeping for me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Is there a way to also block the posts of people quoting people you have on ignore?

You have to do some really gross scripting in greasemonkey or something similarly low level. I tried it and it wasn’t worth the hassle, people posting that badly often spend a lot of time unable to post.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uber’s arbitration clause backfires hilariously and Uber has to pay a non refundable $1500 up front each time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I mean clearly he should buy a $600 car and turbocharge it

Omni GLH Turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Dude could have just expensed some extra lunches or gone to some nice dinners and nary an eyebrow would have been raised. What a doofus.

Some people just like the simple pleasure of doing something wrong.