Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'll be honest, I thought this was for a fundraising/charity thing and the gift levels didn't seem outrageous at all. It wasn't until Moneyball's post that the thought of a wedding crossed my mind. I'm still not sure.

Sticking vegetarians in the $1k range is pretty funny though!

The old timey "Favour of your reply..." part reeks of wedding, to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I like how they jump right past "please crowdfund our wedding" to "please help us make a large profit on our wedding"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Scenic flights are not a new idea, people have paid for scenic flights over stuff like the grand canyon and the coast of Hawai'i in 4 or 6 or 8 seater planes (and helicopters) for a long time.

Why someone would pay for a scenic flight where the scenery is out of the teeny oval window of an airliner is beyond me.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

canyoneer posted:

I did one of those in Kauai and it was awesome. Saw several famous film locations, the waterfalls from Jurassic Park, a dozen swimming humpback whales, and the picturesque Na Pali coast. I even got to sit in front!

Extremely good with money and good with vacation.

I backpacked all 11 arduous miles out along that coast and nearly died, you were one of the bastards making helicopter noise all drat day :argh:

(I'm sure it was awesome, I hope you played the "welcome to Jurassic Park" fanfare)

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

quote:

Nobody invests in learning things like this, even though we've been going in circles in these debates for decades, that we are just now learning these things - just now learning how to view each other as people.
People-first language has been a major push since at least the early 00s (person of color, person with a disability, etc), what the gently caress is this "we're just now learning this"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

One thing's for sure, those linguists / sociologists were pretty GWM fleece a billionaire person of wealth of $11M to re-prove something that has been like intro-level material in their field for 20 years

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The decoration looks like they killed a clown and splayed its corpse, legs up, on the hood of the Rolls.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

moana posted:

Canned potatoes?

This was my thought as well

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

A $30K handbag. A disastrous wine spill. And now, a country club is suing its own waiter

There's a chance that they're using their own insurance but have to name an actual defendant for the insurance to kick in?

That's what happened with the famous case where some 8 year old kid's aunt sued him after he jumped on her with a hug and accidentally broke her arm in a freak accident. It got famous on the talk show news circuit as a "litigation gone MAD :derp:" thing and ruined the poor lady's life. What they didn't say was that the family (quite reasonably) wanted to use their home insurance to pay for it, the insurance company said no problem the aunt just has to name a defendant in a suit as a formality and we'll take care of the rest, so that's what they did.

Anyway I hope that's what's happening here, if not the country club can go to hell!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

When I went to get a REAL ID they rejected me because my socsec card had only my middle initial, but my passport and DL had my full middle name :psyduck:

I had to go to the socsec office and get a new card with my full middle name instead of my middle initial. The worst part (besides the annoyance) is it counts against my lifetime limit of replacement/lost socsec cards.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just one, but you need to look like you are periodically getting up and going to do something for believability.

Alternately, stage a violent kidnapping and then heroic escape shortly before the ending time listed on the RSVP.

much more believable to finish a beer and then get up to grab another one each 10 minutes imo :beerpal:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

*seriously, gender reveal parties are just millennial baby showers, only the guys are invited too. Honestly involving male relatives, especially the dad, in the pre-natal celebrations isn't the worst thing in the world. Its' bullshit when people try to double dip or burn down california, but it's not bad in and of itself.

Wait baby showers are supposed to be women only?

I've only had 2 people I know who had kids actually hold a baby shower and they invited everyone.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Holy poo poo, time share presentation as part of a wedding? Brilliant.

The easy solution, if you still actually want to go to the wedding, is just to not go to the timeshare thing. What are they going to do, kick you out?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Taking out a 33K loan to invest.

Is it a dumb idea to take out a 33k loan at a 3.5% APR, and invest it in Tesla? Tesla rises in value about 220% per year and I have 5 years to pay back the loan, so I will make a lot of money. My plan is to hold it for 3-5 years and then liquidate and pay the remainder of the balance off.

aaaah reinventing the idea of trading on margin but somehow even worse lmao

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Moneyball posted:

For any of you who think he's crazy, please explain all the chests full of gold in the prehistoric era in Chrono Trigger :colbert:

Didn't think so

In the Chrono Trigger universe the playable party and the villains (Lavos, etc) have impacts that permeate throughout all time periods. We cannot guarantee that the gold would have been there in 65M BC if not for the events that take plac ein the story. Thank you.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn't there also a big impact from the Spanish crown bringing all the new gold over from the Americas?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah the classic response to goldbugs is if society collapses you want canned food and ammunition. Things that actually do stuff - you know, intrinsic value. Booze would be a great investment too for sure.

Have you looked into ways that you can make money from an infant? They don't have to be a financial loss. Can you see if any nursing or pediatrics programs want to pay you or provide free care if they can use it for teaching? Can you offer to watch other kids when you need to stay home and watch your own? Make money during time you would be home any way. People will also pay well for clean breast milk online.

This is the only really objectionable / messed up thing from those discussions imo

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

The thermostat discussion is a little weird but not completely off base (some of the replies are kinda weird). We keep our house fairly cool in the winter, like low or mid 60s, and when we had a baby I was relieved to learn that 65ish was considered a reasonable ambient temperature for an infant to sleep in so we just went a smidge warmer than we normally would.

I would ask the question to a pediatrician though and not on a pennypinching forum lol.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I read it a lot more as rejecting all the parenting gadgets. I mean have you been to a baby shower, there is so much unnecessary crap that adds up to thousands of dollars. If you are lucky enough to have a healthy baby and a mother who is able to breastfeed, you really only need baby clothes, diapers, a few swaddles, a crib, and a cheap monitor. A breastpump (covered by health insurance) and some bottles if the mother is going back to work.

Toys and books and stuff are a different question but it seemed more like they were talking about infant care. But thrift stores have no shortage of children's toys and books for very cheap.

Don't get me wrong I think these people sound kinda nuts, but at its heart some of what they're getting at is true.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

And, while not technically BWM, providing an update on the status of your newborn baby with "COVID is great, barely had to buy anything. Through tax credits, COVID, and my raise we have nearly nullified the financial loss that my child brought. That is all." is weird and a BWM mindset.

Yeah that part had a creepy vibe for sure.

I still think the fact that having a baby doesn't need to involve buying tons of poo poo is a discussion worth having. The other nice thing about baby stuff is its fundamentally temporary nature, so baby stuff on the used market is always ample, well priced, and usually in good condition. If you drive a car, a carseat is the only thing you need to buy new (unless you have a trusted source like a sibling, which was the case for us).

You can't get around the cost of daycare though (or the loss of one parent's income), and that dwarfs all the other thrifty stuff you can possibly do.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pittsburgh is the Paris of Appalachia

But for real one of the things that makes it so interesting is it's right at the boundary of the northeast, appalachia, and the midwest. It's a bit of all 3.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also i will fite anyone who badmouths pixburgh

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Moneyball posted:

It's not relevant enough to bad-mouth

You will regret this

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Virigoth posted:

I got some pizza from there once at Olive Oil pizza from driving back across the country. It was ok. On my way back to the hotel I had two people roll coal so that sucked. Also it was hilly.

I suspect you weren't in Pittsburgh but in the outskirts of Pittsburgh which are bad

e: yeah you were in bethel park

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

All you pixburgh haters are in big trouble

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pittsburgh is a really nice city, compact enough that you can bike or bus everywhere and thrive without owning a car, and you can buy a nice 3br house for 200k. It allowed me to be extremely good with money for a very long time. Suck it haters.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

cubivore posted:

Here's some relationships bad with money:

TL;DR : I have taken on $45k in debt while paying for my bf and I's living expenses while he struggles with gaming addiction/depression and fighting with me that have kept him from successfully having a business, and he doesn't want a job. What do I do?

Man that's just depressing :(

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

mlnhd posted:

I don't mean IOT. I mean anything with controls other than analog knobs and mechanical timers: if it has a LED display, if it has buttons, if it beeps when it does things, it will stop working sooner than it should.

Oh man i just moved across the country and we left behind our ancient washer and dryer that I used to repair myself. I was very worried we'd have to get some new modern poo poo where the motherboard breaks and you're hosed. We found a guy who repairs pre-computer board washers and dryers and sells them, that's all he does, he is so proud of them too, and I'm so glad I found him

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's usually the igniter or a thermal fuse IME but ask in DIY.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Battlements With Moats

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Ugh a box truck?? Why not just retrofit a van to have a bed and kitchenette like a normal person?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I think it's a lot more tasteful to say "Hooray, I finally paid off my biggest debt!" than something like this

wide stance posted:

"I just got a 50% raise, putting my salary in the top 0.1% for my city, should I get a penthouse apartment?"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Everybody knows about these "pump & pump" schemes.

I'm sure the average redditor is very familiar with the pump and pump :laugh:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This discussion reminds me of a really insane BWM story from my own life.

In college I went over to a friend of a friend's house for a small party, and someone sees the host's warhammer stuff and the host asks if that person plays, and that person casually says oh it seems fun but it's a bit too much money for me to get into right now.

Now a normal/sane warhammer player would say something like "yeah it's a bit of a money sink haha i enjoy it though, that's hobbies for you." I think that would be a reasonable statement. Instead he launches into this really lengthy rant about how, actually, getting into warhammer is cheaper than going to a movie. Because if you go to a movie, you might really like the movie, and see it multiple times in the theater, and buy food each time. Then you might need to buy the collectibles associated with that movie, at which point he shows us this Sweeney Todd uh, barber set statue? thing? and a poster, and the collector's DVD, and several other items related to Sweeney Todd, all on display on a table, and he says that altogether going to see Sweeney Todd cost him upwards of 500 dollars, whereas getting a starting set of warhammer figurines might only run you a hundred. So in conclusion, he said, warhammer is really not expensive, because it's cheaper than seeing a movie.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

in college i lost 200 bucks to online poker

Sounds a lot cheaper than seeing a single movie.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Now now it's fine to be a fan of something. Hell I won't even judge someone for buying collectibles, if that makes them happy, though it's extremely BWM and I don't personally get it, but whatever.

The insane part of this story is the idea that seeing the movie somehow compelled him to buy hundreds of dollars in collectibles, and therefore while you think a movie ticket only costs $10, in truth it costs hundreds.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I enjoyed the hell out of my motorcycle but you can also get a perfectly nice used motorcycle for $3k and maintain it yourself for like, $100/year average? Hardly comparable to a boat.

You also don't need to go a long ways to get to a waterway to use it, you just put on your gear and go on a ride or run some errands or whatever.

It's not an "investment" sure, it's a money sink like many hobbies, but it's not nearly as expensive as many other hobbies.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 23, 2021

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Motorcycles don't do any of those unless you are getting some sick air, QED bithc

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Kenshin posted:

This twitter thread explains how NFTs work quite well:

https://twitter.com/jonty/status/1372163423446917122

Oh my god lol, they are far stupider than I ever thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Verus posted:

Here's what I don't understand about NFTs: even if we pretend that an NFT somehow confers ownership, can't an infinite number of NFTs be created that all point to the same content? What mechanism is there to guarantee uniqueness?

Someone else I was talking to pointed out that if it ever gets to court, someone can trivially create an NFT pointing to the judge's LinkedIn page or whatever, and say "do I own this?"

I had thought NFTs were like, a unique digitally signed version of the file itself, a file already available online but you have the unique and only digitally signed one, which I still find dumb but, okay. But it's not, it's a digitally signed URL to a metadata file with a URL to the file! :psyduck: