Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Tree law is great, but I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t believe any story about it (like pretty much any other kind of story on reddit or anywhere on the internet). Once the first tree law story got popular there were a flood of “my neighbor, who is rear end in a top hat McButt, cut down trees when I was on vacation..the trees were fully mature white oak trees, are those valuable?” stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The key is to basically do a mainstream version of this thread. There has to be a market out there for "holy poo poo that's BWM" style shows.

You could even go at it from a couple different angles. Have one be a Netflix trendy documentary series kind of thing, and another be the trashiest reality TV style thing ever. Multiple formats to cast as wide an educational net as possible.

I’m 100% in for a show centered around a ‘Ben Wyatt and Chris Traeger from Parks and Rec’ type CPAs who are jointly responsible for advising lottery winners on their newfound financial success. Some people will follow their advice and have a comfortable lifestyle of leisure with no need to work, the majority will buy 6 cars, 2 houses, all the expensive toys, and be bankrupt 3 months after investing in a shady Colorado weed company.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

I've been saving for years for a 20% down payment and just had a bid accepted on a house.

Mortgage is going to be cheaper than my rent. Break even lateral move once you add up insurance, a buffer for repairs, property tax.

*cartoon personification of Murphy’s Law cackles while eyeing your water heater, AC system, fridge, and roof*

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Man that feels awkward just thinking about it.

Let’s take the first couple minutes to go around and introduce yourself, the inspiration for your forum name, and one interesting fact about you.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Guy from my college recently sold off his trash hauling business for $$$. Initial overhead was him and his truck, which makes it easy to sustain bad months as compared to a restaurant with lease payments + perishable food orders + salaries.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Gonna write a script about a lonely old nerd who lives in a defaulted castle and the bored repo man who agrees to dislodge him using medieval siege techniques.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Don't get raw over over the condensed idiocy. No matter how you skim it, goons are terrible on the whole and will always homogenize towards these derails.

e. Mods need to keep this thread on a tighter laiche so the cream can rise before it curdles.

The cream of the crop brother,,,
https://youtu.be/8C4lK41SX-Q

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dumb question, where do you find someone to sharpen your kitchen knives? Sur la table has a sign for sharpening, but I can’t shake the feeling it’d be some employee running it through a bad sharpening system.

I’d invest time and money into home sharpening, but all of that is soon to be dedicated to the ultimate BWM move baby

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Not keeping up with sharpening knives make you more likely to cut yourself, which is BWM when you get careless and lop off a chunk of finger while dicing onions for late night tacos and have to get it taken care of at a late night ER.

...not that I’m speaking from experience or anything.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Some contestants in newer seasons have caught on that making a key lime pie flavored bake is generally a guaranteed ticket to Paul Hollywood approval station.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

He didn't do anything ridiculously bad with money. Instead, he was a mundane bad with money. Every single day, he'd come in with $5-10 of convenience store food and sodas. Since it was an afternoon-night shift, he'd also get fast food every single night. Once saw him gobble $20 worth of pizza by himself. Domino's Pizza.

Is this bad because it’s Domino’s, or because of the sheer quantity of pizza you can get with $20 at Domino’s? One shall not besmirch my chosen chain pizza product :colbert:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

One thing I’ve never fully understood is, since there’s a finite amount of Bitcoin somehow, what happens when bitcoins go out of circulation? If 50% of bitcoins are lost, do prices just go down to the next “1/X Bitcoin” level of granularity forever?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

There are many, many reasons to use an ATM. An ATM is the only place you should ever stick your debit card, in fact.

If you have a problem with your credit card, your credit card company has a problem; if you have a problem with your debit card, you have a problem.

Tell that to the Well Fargo rep who got college me signed up for a bank account and debit card that I was encouraged to use all through school.

I used the card without issue, but I would much rather have spent those years building some sort of credit history while better protecting my bank account.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

After reading a r/wsb comment around how the poster would like to hold their GME options for 91 days to get the profit categorized as long term capital gains, I’m very excited for the comments from people who don’t realize the tax implications of what they’re doing. Hopefully it’s as fun as the bitcoiners who sold at a significant profit, got FOMO and spent everything to buy more coins, and were then informed they owed short term taxes on the profits from the initial sale.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Send Elon and Grimes off the Mars in a roadster. Meanwhile I’ll build a grift to get his true believers to send me money so we can send the couple “necessary supplies and materials for their futuristic space utopia. It’s totally real and Elon sends me updates weekly trust me you guys.”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Every time I buy my bougie rear end $12 bar of soap I think “this is a dumb purchase,” but then I smell so good after a shower I forget about the money that rinsed down the drain :3:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

canyoneer posted:

Look at this UNDEMOCRATIC PIRATE who is too good for Dr Bronner's, the good smelling soap of an honest man.

If you use the peppermint soap on your genitals you can simulate the feeling of a UTI.

Hell I’m a French Corsair, leaving the scent of Mistral cedar wood marine in the wake of my ship (it says it’s from France but who knows).

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

smackfu posted:

I’m not sure why NFTs make me so angry. Collectibles without requiring any physical goods to change hands and without forgery issues? Seems like it would be a good idea... but then someone pays $100K for an animated GIF.

Imagine the bidding war for Goatse though

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t get NFTs. Do you own all copies of a picture, or just one that’s hosted on a super special site that only cool people know about?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kenshin posted:

This twitter thread explains how NFTs work quite well:

https://twitter.com/jonty/status/1372163423446917122

Thanks for this! I would like to invest in an fNFT (future NFT, it’ll be a thing) that is you linking helpful explanations to people.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

That second quote blows my mind - I understand not understanding like, having to pay short term capital gains tax and I understand getting suckered in a pump and dump, but it sounds like that person literally put $5,000 in while not understanding that a stock can go down

The website is misquoting him. He must understand that stocks can go down, but he was buying a stonk and stonks only go up

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

StormDrain posted:

Cooking is a great cheap hobby. I've been working on bread and I was in a retail therapy mood and like, is there anything I can buy that will make my life easier? And no, I already have all the tools I need to make great bread. The most I can spend is on fancy ingredients, and even a $10 loaf of bread, while an expensive loaf is a pretty cheap weekend activity.

Salsa/hot sauce making is super cheap as well. Buying hot peppers in bulk won’t cost you more than $3 per batch until you scale to like 5lbs of peppers at a time.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

From r/UKpersonalfinace. Since deleted. Thank the r/relationship GBS thread for this one.

Struggling to keep afloat during pandemic. Husband keeps spending joint account on 'Owl Encounter' days out

Oh it’s actual falconry experiences. I googled the firm on incognito mode on my phone (as opposed to my work computer) because I was 80% sure this was a furry thing.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Highly probable the “terrible coffee” in the NASA office is a Starbucks stand too. My last downtown office job had a stand in the lobby of our building, with a highly rated independent roaster across the street. I went to the Starbucks stand more often than not because the coffee was good enough for government work and a much faster transaction.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Motronic posted:

How is this still a thing? I would have expected "fancy coffee" poo poo to be well back into super niche where it came from again by now.

Covid might have been the final death blow, come to think of it.

It may have killed cafes, but I wonder if working from home turned more people on to better coffee. A bag of fancy beans may cost more than free crappy coffee, but per day it’s way cheaper than even a medium black coffee at Starbucks.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The best way to build up political goodwill in an office environment is to be the person who gets the communal coffee going each morning or the person who brings in breakfast tacos/donuts on Fridays.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My parents aren’t BWM, but they definitely aren’t as GWM as my aunts who both conveniently became very close to their rich aunt after her terminal diagnosis. Strange how both aunts now have gigantic houses after she passed.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Andy Dufresne posted:

Please don't be this guy. Your rich dying grand-aunt can do whatever the gently caress she wants with her money. This post is even worse because you're implying that the people who comforted their dying relative are somehow bad.

I wouldn’t say they are bad, but I won’t say it’s not a little opportunistic to go from decades of no contact to a full court press. It’s not the only money-related eyebrow raiser we’ve seen from them, but that’s not relevant to this BWM thread.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m going to instruct my executor to buy a remote chunk of land in Alaska or somewhere and hide an inscribed bar conferring 100% of the remaining estate to the finder. Whoever visits me before I pass can get a section of the treasure map, but they’ll need to steal the rest of the map from the other people who visited. Or they can work together and trust the handshake deal to divide the estate..

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Are those eyes open, closed, or just very squinty?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Honestly here for a timeline where KFC becomes a gaming company that sells chicken on the side.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My grandfather sold land to a couple that came into around $6m post-tax from a lottery ticket. They rolled in with new trucks, ATVs, and all the other toys that go with that lifestyle. 3 years later the property was back on the market. It’s likely they did not account for how quickly ~1.8% property taxes adds up year over year.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Never Read Reddit rule aside, is GME still breaking people’s brains? It looks like there’s now at least 3 subreddits around it (wsb, GME, superstonk), but they’re all the same level of manic “To The Moon! We’re all getting rich at $10k/share!” posting and conspiracy-like due diligence posts.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

laxbro posted:

That is why the federal govt (and I’m assuming large corporations) put such an emphasis on internal controls. There should be multiple levels of approval for spending funds and there should be separation of duties that involve access to funds and approval of spending.

From my time spent testing internal controls at large corporations, key reconciliations and segregation of duties controls are the highest risk controls that need to pass. You can explain away why insufficient password requirements don’t pose too much of a risk, but a single point of contact having power to change the books and touch cash is going to be a bad time. Or there’s more convoluted routes where someone can create a fictitious vendor and approve monthly invoice payments to said vendor for a couple extra grand a month.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yond Cassius posted:

Here, for your lazy Sunday reading, check out this story about the $16M DeLuxe® Fruitcake Embezzlement.

On one hand, fraud is bad. On the other hand, Corsicana is the worst pit of brick red oil rich Trumpers and taking money from them is good.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My in laws put my wife on a credit card used for gas n’ groceries throughout high school and college and she graduated with up a great credit score. Meanwhile nobody taught me about credit cards so I used a dumb WF debit card through college and could barely get a credit card after graduating due to lack of history. In hindsight that’s probably a good thing - I don’t think my younger self year old self would have handled the limit I have now, while my subconscious thinks I still have the $1.5k limit I started out with.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Midjack posted:

Do you trust the vendor not to "accidentally" debit your account for 10x the expected charge? Bank sure as gently caress won't help you out.

This happened to me, but just on credit card and actually on accident. We were paying a moving company and the invoice processor at their main office read out our bill correctly, but fat fingered a 0 at the end when inputting the payment. Hit our card for 10k instead of 1k. Getting that sorted would’ve been a lot more frustrating if it had hit our account directly.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Re: baby BWM. We had to go on specialized processed formula for my baby, but it’s sold OTC. $44 per can. We called our pediatrician and asked for a script, came back at $65 for 10 cans.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

If you had just given us the headline and ages of participants, I’d bet 90% of us would’ve said that post was about the 19 year old being mad that his Mom wouldn’t invest his college fund in GME and BTC with 15% allocated to TSLA as a safe hedge against risks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Squinky v2.0 posted:

There’s a sweet exploit going around the ‘net that checks your clipboard for text strings that match the format of a BTC wallet and if it sees one, replaces it with a hard coded BTC wallet address.

Copy someone’s BTC address, paste it to send the money, send it to the hackers wallet instead. Sorry, no takebacks.

As someone who got a cashier’s check for closing on a home rather than deal with the risk of fat fingering a wire transfer, lol.