Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

You're related to soup, Admiral.

priznat posted:

I visited an aviary once where they had a toucan and you had to wear strapped on safety goggles in case it decided your eyeballs were grapes or something it wanted to try.

Why the gently caress would you want one as a pet

Also they live for a really long time. It's like having a destructive toddler for several times longer than you would have to spend raising an actual child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

This got a chuckle out of me.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

SettingSun posted:

As a teen I worked at Target, and one of the things I remember the most about it was orientation, where they had the new hires watch what was effectively an anti-union propaganda video. If anyone in the store ever came up to you and started to discuss unions you were supposed to immediately report this to your supervisor. This is more due diligence than they gave shoplifters.

Walmart does the same thing, I hear. Probably most of the big chains do.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

This convo about Encarta made me look up a game me and my sister played as kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EryANyRgxn8

This is the first time I've seen the main rooms where the screen wasn't completely hosed up - it was like each quadrant was mixed around and flipped, which made the crystal room impossible to parse what connected to what. Thankfully the time machine worked ok.

To relate to the thread, my sister and I were obsessed with this game and knew every single dinosaur and wanted toys of all of them. Thankfully our parents said no

HOLY poo poo I was just thinking about that game. I barely remember it at all but I'm positive that's the one I used to play.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

I never watched GoT, just heard other people talk about it. So while I knew the ending was bad, I didn't realize it was career-and-franchise-ending levels of bad.

What exactly happened? Did they just kill off all the (remaining) characters without resolving any character arcs or plotlines? Or was there something else that made it so uniquely bad?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

If you have no knowledge of the characters, it's a little hard to explain.

But, basically they:

- Reverted all the character growth from the previous 7 seasons back to where they were the first episode.

- Had a climactic event they had been building up to for 8 seasons that began in the very first episode happen in 3 seconds and the big bad just gets stabbed with a knife and dies, which wrapped the entire story arc up.

- They decided to make a kid in a wheelchair the new King because "he had a good story" to unite the people because he was in a wheelchair. This Kingdoms of this realm that had been at endless war vying for power for thousands of years all decide to give up their power and accept it because he "had a good story."

- They wrapped up every plotline that they had spent years developing really sloppily in 15 minutes. ("Whoops, she went crazy for no reason." "Whoops, all this stuff happened offscreen and is over now." "Whoops, this person needs to have their story wrap up, so they are just going to irrationally kill themselves to end it.")

- They literally end one character's major arc by just having them say they are going on a boat. Other characters ask where to and they reply "West" and get on a boat and disappear forever.

It sounds like they managed to turn every plot thread into an anticlimax at once, which would explain why it was so universally hated. Thanks for the response!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Edit: The producers also said "Everyone expected us to go with a dramatic twist ending. So, we made a super boring and obvious ending... which was itself the greatest twist of all!"

Ah yes, the reverse Shyamalan.

Pham Nuwen posted:

GRRM was too lazy to even look up how feudalism works (https://acoup.blog/2019/06/12/new-acquisitions-how-it-wasnt-game-of-thrones-and-the-middle-ages-part-iii/) so I'm gonna look askance at anybody who says this sort of poo poo.

Thanks for the link. I'm always interested in learning about how societies functioned in the past.

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Our office magician was good at card tricks and at cornering people in the kitchenette to go into exhaustive unsolicited detail about his upcoming custom samurai Darth Vader back tattoo plans. Eventually the cops picked him up for a warrant in our parking lot and he made no attempt to keep his job by updating his manager about what was going on so a month later they let him go for job abandonment.

So he pulled a vanishing act?

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

William Bear posted:

January 2014
Tori Spelling would love to divorce Dean McDermott, but she can’t afford it?

July 2021
Dean McDermott wants to file for divorce from Tori Spelling but can’t afford it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Arcana
Feb 14, 2012

Velius posted:

So, uh, why do people buy stuff from the US mint from you for a premium instead of buying from the mint? It seems like a pretty low barrier to entry endeavor.

I imagine the coins in question were made in limited quantities, so you can't get any more from the Mint.