Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Just, uh, for the record, this is my entire posting history in the climate thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874548&userid=198104

I don't even know. And thanks, Sundae, for somehow bringing this back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Moneyball posted:

Stop denying science

I'll have you know I'm one of the most active posters in the pseudoscience thread

wait

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sundae posted:

Paging Discendo Vox to explode his brain for a moment...

I hate you.

Some individual genetic markers are potentially useful for dietary advice, but as Sundae implies, the basic rules of nutrition still apply and telling you to cut back on sodium ain't exactly insightful. If you had a genetic condition with a clear dietary health effect you'd know about them from other symptoms, (or you could at a minimum get a legit screening for, idk, crohns or allergies from actual clinicians).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

How would the legal rights even attach, let alone pass through a phishing scam?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

And that would survive through a phishing scam?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks for the explanation, that’s very helpful! I had trouble wrapping my mind around the idiocy of it and its contextual effects.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The "stable coins" USDT and LUNA (which lost 99% of its value in a day last week) have found a new round of suckers to donate (note: not invest - they donated money to resurrect and then back/inflate the currency) to bring it back as a new coin. But, not as a stable coin.

And don't worry, the same thing won't happen again even though they aren't even trying to peg the value to anything this time because they made the coin with "a different algorithmic coin formula."

Fun Fact: The company's entire legal team quit before they took all the money and did this.

A bunch of people have now paid thousands of dollars to bring back a dead coin (and this invalidates the previous coins and replaces them with the new one, so this isn't even a straight bailout for the people who are still holding onto the coins worth 0.002% of their original value) for the privilege of being able to spend more money to invest in the new version of the crypto that lost 99.98% of its value in a week. Except, this time, they aren't even pretending it will be a stable coin.

https://twitter.com/WuBlockchain/status/1529440059396526080

Is the listed sum of donations real, or is it just another set of sockpuppets to salt the pot?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

I know this has gone disastrously for other people, but I'm definitely different, and it will work for me.

Strong username/post synergy

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Sokani posted:

If you add even the slightest barriers to acquiring in game stuff RMT infests the space. Just look at Tarkov.

What is RMT?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

a little bezzley wezzley uwu

New thread title?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

That is a thing btw, wawa won’t install automatic doors because a thing of going to wawa is you hold the door for the person behind you. It’s weird because otherwise if you live in Philly screw everyone , never make eye contact , etc, but for that one exception being if you are entering or leaving a Wawa.

How do they handle ADA compliance?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Motronic posted:

Not every public space has to have automatic doors. You can "handle" ADA by having doors of a sufficient width (also required by fire code) and someone to hold it open.

I am aware. In practice, the "someone to hold it open" approach is a continuous liability risk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Vice President posted:

alright thread you inspired me, I'm going to put together a kickstarter to buy the rights to Tales of Game's Studios' The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa from this here comedy forum and turn it into a series of collectable NFTs.

Good news, there are gun sprites you can use

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

brugroffil posted:

Zeno's realized losses

New thread title.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Also suggesting that the above described grueling interview process is meritocratic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.science.org/content/article/potential-fabrication-research-images-threatens-key-theory-alzheimers-disease

So uh, basically the last 15 years (and billions of dollars) or so of research on Alzheimers have been based on fraud.

The original source in the form of the short sellers isn't great, but the confirmation from other sources and the responses from the outlets suggests this is valid. Yikes.

Of course it's also more than a bit ironic given that Science (the outlet) is a major player in the sensationalism and incaution that causes these problems and perverse incentives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The people advocating for such increased consequences are not advocating for them alone. And the lack of consequences are entwined with other perverse incentives and power structures. Kevin Hall spent a tremendous amount of money to put out a deliberately misleading study based on openly invalid methods; he's now a section chief at NIDDK.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Texas, including its cities, is straight up the go-to case study for what happens when there is functionally no zoning regulation.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Austin has the opposite problem, where most of the housing in the core of the city is owned by a bunch of boomers who also control zoning boards. Increased density has to be approved almost per development, and is very often rejected. This part of the city is still very manageable with walking, bikes, and transport though. But one of the results of population growth without increased housing density is that people have been moving more and more to the suburbs around Austin, most of which are the standard American expanse of suburbs that are too spread and isolated out to be realistically walkable or support a critical mass of public transport.

This isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be (source: commuted by bike in an Austin suburb for ~4 yrs pre-pandemic). You take it easy in the morning to avoid sweating too much going into work, and you take a shower when you get home in the afternoon.

I stand very much corrected, thanks! Parts of MD sorted this (partially and temporarily until it was undercut by some Republicans) by transferring a lot of authority to a multicounty planning commission. They were able to actually do long-term planning (and still are to some extent) in part because they took pressure off of mayors and county executives (and gave everyone the ability to divert blame to other entities they oversaw). This sort of upward movement of planning/zoning power is, imo, the best long-term solution...but it's really state and law-dependent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is there a resource someone could direct me to regarding the timeshare scam? I'm not considering getting one, ofc, but I want to learn more about how the market developed, how the scam works, etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's against the rules to create an OP on reddit just so you can harvest replies and post it here as if it were from someone else.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Not sure where you got that from.

If I created an account 3 years ago that had over 122k post Karma just to paste a single reply from a post the account made 3 years later, then that sort of commitment should be rewarded.

https://www.reddit.com/user/zztop610

I'm joking about the goony OP, you goon.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Reviewing the demography of NEET subreddits (of course there are NEET subreddits, why am I surprised), or NEET subreddits generally, seems like a recipe for depression.

canyoneer posted:

Always check references.

This seems like a recipe for Salmonella poisoning.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 16, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s a loving work of art.

Don't forget the accompanying soundtrack

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I tried a theme of picking non-finance subs to search a specific keyword and it seems to confirm that this word is used almost exclusively in BWM contexts.

Is the keyword "boat"?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yes.

A whole lot of relationship advice posts where a boat is a featured character or at least part of the supporting cast.

Business, Finance, and Careers > "boat" + "money"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Elephanthead posted:

But I have a PhD in getting down.

Dr. Elephanthead, StD

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

njsykora posted:

Airpods Max are the ultimate example in my mind of wireless headphones being 80-90% convenience tax, like if I'm going to spend $500 on a pair of headphones I'm going to get something I'll still be able to use in 3 years.

The best headsets I've found bar none are wired ones from Kensington which cost like 25 bucks, tops, and will last for loving ever.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Chiros will probably be the last area of alt-med to be regulated out of existence, for the simple reason that they're intertwined with the private injury bar.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've not had to buy a car in some time, but my recollection was that the correct action is to basically always buy used from one of the large-scale entities, like carmax. Is that not still the case?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 29, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Few years back was renting a room in a house with a pool, trampoline, and zip line. When I called to get renter’s insurance I mentioned all this and the friendly agent only asked if there was a fence, and I confirmed there was and that meant everything was a-ok with no higher rates.

Sounds like they basically thought of it all purely from an attractive nuisance standpoint.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

I've not read these new guidelines, but just for the record, IRS had a very good policy playbook built out for crypto several years ago- they immediately recognized the potential abuses and already had standards for things like how crypto counted for income measurement. If there are crypto gaps at IRS I'd expect they're all in the "we don't have the money to do the amount of enforcement that we need to" side of things.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Thufir posted:

So after hurriedly signing papers at the pet store chain, the Hills walked out with the new $4,595 puppy.

“When she sat down to look at the paperwork a few days later, Millie Hill quickly realized her mistake: The bundle of high-interest loans she’d signed would eventually swell to a total cost of more than $19,000.”

I don't...understand how a dog could cost that much.

Average doesn't really tell you how most people are actually living, though.

Jeff Bezos and I have an average net worth of $77 billion.

Yeah but that's only because you suckered him into not signing a prenup.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I had neighbors a few years ago that I knew rented a lot of stuff. I didn't know how much until the rental truck came to repossess all of it.

First, they needed two trucks for an 1,100-square foot condo. Second was the stuff that was repossessed. It wasn't just major items like TVs and sofas. These guys were renting table lamps. From what I could tell, the lamps were $20 per week.

Lamps. Things you can buy for $2 at Goodwill and $6 at Walmart. They had means to drive and get these items. They were just too ignorant to do it.

I can't imagine the process which would let someone make that kind of decision about such small items. Was this some sort of mail order rental catalogue situation?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The question with any application context for meta is what the meta adds relative to prior systems. In terms of workplace conduct, the entire VR setup is basically a layer of interfering mediation on all existing work actions or software, which are already intended to be pared down and at least reasonably efficient at what they do. There is nothing in a VR environment that I wouldn't get better and for much less money by just adding an additional monitor to my system.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mods please move this thread to AI

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Because the company will match any sneakers you wear from Adidas, Nike, and New Balance. So, you have options!

You can also get limited edition shoes modeled after actual limited edition sneaker sets for up to $14k for your horse.

The company is called "Horse Kicks" and he also produces original designs for the sneakers that are intended to be an aesthetic that horses love.

https://horsekickslex.com/

among other things, it's not immediately clear to me that these folks can be using the logos of other companies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Good luck trying to catch him when he has easy access to all the horses and high-performance horse athletic footwear he wants.

Oh poor ol’ Freckles, thought of receiving service from Nike trademark attorneys and died

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This is a level of posting through it that I’ve never witnessed before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, the security blockchain adds is specifically for man in the middle attacks, and only in the info itself- it does nothing for, e.g., fraud in origin or label-swapping.