Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why would you buy Gamestop today. That's just asking to be a bag holder. Well, wishing you luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Essential Funko Pops.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Everybody knows about these "pump & pump" schemes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And that man's name was Steven Spielberg.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Bitcoin shot up by ~$4,000 and most of the major bitcoin exchanges have crashed and implemented 7-10 waiting periods for withdrawal after Elon Musk announced he was buying $1.5 billion BTC.

It also explains the recent uptick in price in general, Tesla putting in $1.5 billion.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

There is nothing more insufferable than a goon talking about food

Yes. Also, let me write in detail about the relative differences between fast food chains.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How do you ride out 3 to 6 months on a $1000 emergency fund

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Akshually, the squeeze has not been squoze.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Not being able to get out without a car sounds super absurd and annoying. Is Houston that unwalkable a city? Couldn't imagine that for where I live.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guest2553 posted:

Haha I remember kinda-sorta wanting an IOmega zip drive way back when, but it seemed way to expensive for what it was even before CD-Rs were common.

I remember Zip drives being pretty common and not all that expensive

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Micro Channel, wow. Haven't heard that name in a long time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, the UK measure their octane ratings in stone.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Boiled Water posted:

Since you mentioned drinking oil I recall someone trying to save money by walking everywhere, which makes sense until you discover your body is pretty inefficient at moving your around even when compared to a chunky car. Gas is amazingly cheap by energy content (also don't drink this).

There are people literally spending money to waste energy at places dedicated to it, it's absurd. The entire point of these businesses is to pointlessly expend energy.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Real proletarians only buy the cheapest scented candles that give you headaches from their terrible smells.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

laxbro posted:

The Apple advantage is that their laptops are built very solidly so people can get away with being a bit rough with them.

Most people abuse their cheap Windows laptop made of flimsy plastic and are shocked when something breaks. Well, yeah, you've picked up your laptop by the screen everyday for over year - those hinges aren't designed to be load bearing.

"Built very solidly" is not something I'd associate with fragile aluminium laptops.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, laptops with keyboards that fail at the smallest amount of dust, bend really easily (which causes the display to fail!) and dent easily I wouldn't consider to be all that "solid".

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Macbook Product (TEXAS) edition, with a built-in warming cushion!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

Your battery is hosed, take it in for service ASAP.

The big problem with Windows laptops and longevity isn't so much build quality as your average consumer installing all sorts of poo poo and the OS getting bogged down and corrupted. If you aren't willing and able to completely reload Windows every 2-3 years, it's gonna run like poo poo after a few years. Macs are much easier to manage and the OS won't crawl up its own rear end in a top hat and die nearly as often.

You absolutely do not need to reinstall Windows every 2-3 years, it does not get "bogged down and corrupted" on its own. But tons of people load their system up with useless crap like antivirus software that causes tons of issues.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

Somebody hasn't taken a look at the size of their C:\Windows\Installer folder lately, I see.

You should run "Clean up system files" in Disk Cleanup (part of Windows) from time to time.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Ehhhhh...that's been a recent sound bite but it's not entirely true. The are part of whatever the southwest electric cooperative is. Problem being that no other states had power to give, so it didn't matter in this case since they were all in the same cold snap.

It's not a soundbite, they operate a separate grid for exactly that political reason, but they do have a few DC ties to other grids, including Mexico.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 24, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Production isn't a natural monopoly, the power grid is.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The GameStop pumpers are just sad at this point. It's a retail store that sells games on discs, they're not going to be the Esports arena of the future with their tiny locations (and there's no money in that either way) and they're not going to be a factor in digital distribution at all. Way too many established players for that.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Coinstar machines, but they're Gamestop machines and take your PS4 in exchange for gift cards.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

I’m not sure why NFTs make me so angry. Collectibles without requiring any physical goods to change hands and without forgery issues? Seems like it would be a good idea... but then someone pays $100K for an animated GIF.

Why would that be a good idea at all. Digital "collectibles" are an inherently moronic concept.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes, everybody knows the only store you can order online from is Amazon.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No clue what this is about, but the r/relationship thread is certainly a great repository to highlight that the goons perpetually "laughing" at something are super weird and even weirder that the posts their laughing about for the most part.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 10, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

obi_ant posted:

There are some pretty weird goons around here, but we are weirder than Reddit's weirdos?

Equally as weird, but more contained. And with some of the worst filtered out. Redditors are pretty terrible, that's for sure.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You can roll things back, you just need a majority of the miners to agree to it. See: The DAO

In this case, very much impossible to reverse anything, lmao.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why does Hooters still exist, even. What a weird concept.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to say that no, the chain restaurant didn't have "the best wings in town"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The cat helmet was for Halo 3, but that didn't come with a bag.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don’t get NFTs. Do you own all copies of a picture, or just one that’s hosted on a super special site that only cool people know about?

You own a token with a hash value and an URL that either links a text file that links the image hosted on someone else's computer or links the picture on someone else's computer directly. Owning an NFT says nothing about what type of usage rights you have on the picture on someone else's computer or whether it will even still be hosted there in a month.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rare physical items being sought after I can understand, hash values with URLs I cannot. There's no such thing as an "original" with digital data, and there isn't even a guarantee the data will still be hosted somewhere in the future.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That seems just as stupid, you can duplicate signed files just the same. Otherwise you could never transfer your "original" over the internet. And that has the same issue of needing to verify it was actually the author's signature and the honor system of the author not just selling hundreds of "originals" (which, again, is an inherently impossible concept for digital files).

What the original gets you with a picture is a physical item that is the only one of its kind. What buying a signed file gets you is a copy of a signed file.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

I think that's the idea of the "non fungible" part, you can definitely cryptographically assign something to be openable by only one person's key, and you can probably also ensure only one was produced via blah blah something blockchain.

I mean even if we take at face value that the uniqueness of the signature is technically feasible, it's still just a loving URL

You can encrypt things, yes. But no, you can't ensure only one was produced.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

It's not all that hard. There are multiple services that will invisibly watermark and find any instances of your photo online and alert you so you can manage digital rights. This has existed for decades - it was a thing being added to the scans of slides at stock photo houses pre-nongarbage digital cameras. It seems the watermarks aren't even required anymore.

It is impossible if the result doesn't get published. If I want to view something that is sold as an NFT for free, I just need to download it from the official server. Traditionally, with digital media, access is what you're paying for. Which makes paying for hashes of NBA dunks even more bizarre.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Crust People(tm)

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Kablooey posted:

I wonder how quick we will get reports of BTC phishing using the Tesla website

There's a "Bitcoin wallet QR code generator" that always "generates" a QR code with someone else's wallet address out there

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
See also: The Doobie's Dog House brand profiting off national Something Awful exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Grem posted:

HEY GUYS JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I DO NOT DRINK COFFEE

We get it, you're a Mormon.