Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A guy I work with needs a new car. He found a 2007 v6 Mustang for $7500. The bank denied him because the car is too old. So he considered using his 0% introductory rate for 15 months credit card that he just got approved for to buy it. But then decided a 16% personal loan would be the better option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

By being 23 years old, I imagine.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Maybe that’s why he’s making the responsible decision and getting a 16% personal loan instead.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

howdoesishotweb posted:

0% on purchases, not cash advances. Usually the cash advance rate is the standard 20-30+% with NO grace period.

Maybe I don’t read the fine print close enough on cash advances since I never use them but I thought it was only like 3%?

E: oh you mean APR. I’m thinking the up front fee.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If they manage to find a way to just give your debt away, boy do I have some ideas!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Oil! posted:

GWM for Bobby Bonilla.

i think Bobby Bonilla is in the GWM hall of fame

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

how do you think people like... jay z and beyonce split the bills? 50/50?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Phanatic posted:

Mac10s have gone from ~$2k in 2003 to $8k today. MP5s from about 10k to about 40k. M76s used to be 5k, now they're 15.

drat I need to watch Lord of War and take notes because that seems GWM.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Extremely agree.

I feel like what they were going for was, "children are bleeding their parents dry"

What they accomplished was, "rich people are giving money to their kids while still alive"

That said, I have a TON of coworkers who don't contribute a penny to their (generously matched) 401k because "I got kids, dude, I'm not gonna let them starve so I can play the stock market. You'll Understand When You Have Them (tm)"

“I don’t plan on being here long enough to vest it so I don’t contribute” is what I have heard people say a lot.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

No, it's logical regardless. Not contributing with a match is "leaving money on the table" while not contributing with no match is "putting a nice dinner on the table once in a while." People want to see tangible results and not just a paycut.

Without match I'd have such a poo poo return it would not be worth investing in a 401k.

Retirement accounts aren’t known for their instant gratification. I could be wrong though.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Anyone who grew up poor can attest that "Gotta spend the money before it's gone" is a difficult mindset to break, even decades later

I finally got to a point in the last two years where I don’t live paycheck to paycheck and learning to control your spending gets exponentially harder when you actually have money to spend. I’m just now in the last six or so months getting the discipline to not spend it just because I have it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

1800 on misc stuff like flights.

If you are flying enough that you specifically mention it in your monthly budget, it’s not “misc”

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Xenocides posted:

Are those filthy pools enjoying their box wine?

Why isn’t canned wine a thing?

(Someone’s gonna link canned wine)

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nocheez posted:

There's some good canned wine, but it's more expensive than bottled so I don't get the point.

This is the opposite of what my expectations are.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I would love to be BWM like those people.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Good news, the author is an architecture critic and the blog is written for people enthusiastic about architecture as one of our society's forms of cultural expression. Literally architecture as art. There's no reason for you to read the blog! It documents and chronicles an architectural style in the United States that arose in a postmodern hell of opulence without meaning, mass-market prosperity; clashing styles of windows has everything to do with the vacuousness of the style and the paucity of reasoning for how and why these abominations were crafted, hence why the architectural critic who writes the site focuses on these details.

It's not a terribly "fun" site to confront, because it's a good reminder that the US in 2019 deals largely with superficial consumption peddled as meaning, but it's probably good for the soul.

....ok

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Lol $7-8k for a 200k mile f150?

That doesn’t seem reasonable.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

therobit posted:

I tried to look up some automotive Bad With Money by searching for a list of the 10 worst car deals, but wound up reading Consumer Reports list of the 10 worst cars for 2019. They listed some cars that I am sure are bad and dumb, but they also listed the Honda Odyssey and the Toyota Tacoma. I have never met an owner of either of those cars that regretted their purchase in the slightest. Is Consumer Reports Bad With Cars?

New cars are pretty solid these days even if some of them are overpriced and hideous.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The doorknobs on Teslas are part of the electrical system aren’t they? Like if the battery is dead you can’t get in or out of the car or some crazy poo poo?

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

tater_salad posted:

I mean dude hosed up by 1. Not having insurance. And 2. Not working with the hospital and putting it on an Amex.

If they would have stuck with it being medical debt they could have worked a reasonable cost and payment plan with the hospital. They probably would have chopped it in half and worked out a payment plan. But hospital isn't going to refund poo poo since they got paid.

It’s broken but it’s your fault that you are being punished because it’s broken.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

if you need coupons you're living gwm but you've probably been bwm if you need coupons? i don't know.

i use the coupons that are on the 6 miles of receipts you get at cvs (gwm) when you buy a candy bar (bwm).

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My sister did couponing for a while and had like three years of toothbrushes stashed away.

For some people that’s just one toothbrush but she had one for every day of the year.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

My mom has two horses that she neglects and I bet they run for $750/yr tops.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I once turned $80 into $950 playing blackjack but then I became a gambleholic and lost it all by 9am the next morning.

It’s been tough rebounding from that.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

All I know is last time someone shot at a student on a school campus but missed I said “thank god it wasn’t a school shooting” since nobody was shot, just shot at.

My point is arguing over the semantics of the word “shooting” is dumb.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

That’s a lot of specific information that I probably don’t even know about myself that this person knows about someone else.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Nocheez posted:

You can just attach it to the cost of living.

Can’t wait to see what imaginative way that gets abused though.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

“On a scale of 1 to 1000 his credit score is a 10.”

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Yeah but I learned on Breaking Bad that an RV is a domicile and that’s like equity right???

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Gonna take that guy’s approach and just get new credit cards and bank loans once I max my current ones.

At least that’s what he seems to do.

I’m going to feel rich, especially when it’s not my money I’m spending.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Residency Evil posted:

I know it makes me an rear end in a top hat but I feel better about my own financial problems reading that.

That’s the whole reason I read this thread, my man.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

sneakyfrog posted:

my mom did that "invest in dinars because they'll be worth billions when obama stops devaluating them" scam and would not hear a word of advice on the matter.

a year or so ago she came down to visit and immediately started critiquing on why i spent money on a big tv and it was all i could do not to be like "because i can afford it and i saved for it, hows your retirement fund coming along" :smithfrog:

i had a bunch of friends in 2010 pool their money together to buy a bunch of dinar. not sure how that went but most of that group are still bouncing back and forth between living on their own and living with their parents.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Enchanted Hat posted:

I can't even understand what they imagine is going to happen. Like, okay, Iraq decides to try to fix their exchange rate, so they say "hey, bring us 10,000 Old Dinars and we'll exchange it for 1 New Dinar. Old Dinars are now no longer legal tender." How would that make them rich?

exchange it for US dollars when it becomes more valuable

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/c0ts5o/my_gf_spends_all_her_money_on_high_interest_loans/

I think the part that offends me most is buying a $2000 dog. I wish he said what kind if was, because I'm almost certain it has to be some puppy mill 'breed'.

my mom bought a pure bred sheltie for like $2500. had to get it flown in from texas to florida.

she keeps it locked in its crate all day and it recently broke its hips jumping on the couch.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

zelah posted:

People who get priced out of the Bay Area/LA do not move to Yreka. Maybe if Bay Area/LA wealth spread into the rest of CA instead of other states the poverty numbers wouldn’t be so bad.

I wish Californians would stay in their state and not come to mine.

Rich people don’t want to pay Cali state taxes.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That explains why Wyoming, with its zero state income tax, has had an influx of tens of thousands of coastal millionaires :rolleyes:

I forgot Wyoming is the only state without state income tax.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I was being sarcastic.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Simpsons Reference posted:

I post on a forum that charges $9.99 for access, what do you think?

Anyone who does something dumb like this is BWM.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

SpelledBackwards posted:

Some of us registered when the forums were still free and also got someone else to buy them their avatar.
:smugbert:

BWM and BWL is a fine line, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I thought that was a joke about vegans.