Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Raldikuk posted:

Assuming a few million is 2 million and setting his time horizon as 7 years would require it to be gaining 35% per year...not very likely lol and of course doesn't take into account him drawing it down to live off of.

The sad thing is he could be set up for a super cushy life... 18 making 50k plus bennies...250k trust fund.... but of course he wants to piss it away doing literally nothing. I would put money on being a stoner too because that's just a lack of motivation.

I would put my money on, "The kind of kid who has a $250,000 trust fund, and a dad who can throw him a $50k/year job his first week out of high school with no skills and no experience."

Edit: ^^ Obviously, it's also a troll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

The BWM here is the person claiming you can't inherit anything from a pension plan without knowing any details, right? Because there were definitely payouts when I was in the UK and a quick Bing suggests it's not impossible in the US either.

Sundae posted:

It's usually survivorship benefits to a spouse, though, not a 35-yr-old child. I mean, anything's possible but it's pretty damned unlikely he's seeing a dime unless "pension" is also a misnomer.

A younger friend of mine received payouts from his father’s pension (it was definitely from the pension*) from the age of 25ish until 30ish. It was five or seven years, I forget. The payouts only stopped about four years ago.

* I mean, I didn’t review the paperwork or anything, but I trust my friend on this.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Hoshi posted:

Are you certain you know what stopped the payments?

I only have what he told me to go on. I do know that he knew the exact date the payments would stop, and started worrying about it two years ahead of time.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

She has $100,000 loan at 12%? Not to mention half a million total debt on ~$65,000 per year. That’s not great.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh and be a computer toucher?

joke's on me. gently caress EMRs.

Which EMR, and are you hiring? I have a RN friend who was stacking big bucks consulting for a hospital operations system company. He stepped outside his hotel one night for a smoke, and woke up in the hospital with a bypass and no consulting gig. He’s also a hobbyist (and former professional) software developer who is working on his own project scheduling and management software with a focus on the medical field, but, let’s face it, that’s never going anywhere. I kind of keep an eye out for any leads so he can continue to keep a roof over his family’s heads while his wife operates her illegal greyhound “rescue” from their garage.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Cyrano4747 posted:

I got dragged on a short Disney cruise for a friend’s wedding and I absolutely drank.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

Stop letting your parents own your finances! Especially your parents on disability

The situation is neither layered nor complicated. Your mother stole your identity and hosed your life for at least the next decade. Time to start filing police reports.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Panfilo posted:

This reminds me of an old Richard Pryor movie where he buys a house but the former owners take EVERYTHING with them, like a goddamn in ground swimming pool.

It’s called “Moving,“ and Richard Pryor was a treasure, and I’m sad that he’s dead.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
YOU’VE GOT A DEGREE IN BALONEY!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Griefor posted:

What I don't understand about crypto believers is this:
I don't believe cryptocurrency is the future, but I can't fully refute it. So let's do a hypothetical. Let's say crypto is the future. In the future the only currency is cryptocurrency. My country, the Netherlands, thinks Brexit is a pretty cool idea and follows suit. We can no longer use euros as currency and paper currency is old news anyway, so as the first country in the world, the Netherlands adopts cryptocurrency as the country's official currency. It exchanges every citizen's euros for a cryptocurrency. Every crypto investor's wet dream as the first step of the whole world officially adopting cryptocurrency.

They're not going to use dogecoin, are they? Most likely the government will create a new cryptocurrency, the NLCoin or whatever, mine the gently caress out of it in a closed setting, and then distribute that to people at some exchange rate for euros. They're not going to select a random existing cryptocurrency and pay a megapremium to the early adopters of that to get their currency.

I guess a lot of crypto folk are anti government, so they're hoping the world will adopt a cryptocurrency not backed by a government. Okay. But that's maybe Bitcoin because it's the first and biggest, or some other currency that fixes some of the problems that Bitcoin has. Not one of the many exact clones of the Bitcoin source code.

I suppose gamblers are gonna gamble so I understand bigger-idiot style investors, but there's also so many true believers who have so much faith that crypto is the future but they don't seem to have put much thought into how such a future will work and how it will make them rich off their randomly selected altcoins.

It's the Underpants Gnomes Theory of Macroeconomics, and nobody actually believes it. I know a couple of true believers, and they have slowly moved from "any day now" to "thirty years" as the time when Bitcoin will have finished revolutionizing finance. They just push out the time horizon to a point where their claims are meaningless for any practical purpose. They also refuse to put any money or resources at risk top prove their faith. I've offered to lock up money, or property, or just I-told-you-sos for thirty years because I believe they are wrong. I get a lot of bullshit about opportunity cost and they just ignore the question of why don't we just make a bet where someone has to do something humiliating in thirty years or whatever.

In short, only a tiny core really believe Bitcoin is going anywhere. The rest are hoping to make bank selling to the next generation of suckers, so they have to pretend they believe, to the point where they almost, but not quite, believe it themselves.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

crazypeltast52 posted:

Middle class is everyone making from half to twice as much as the person believing themselves to be middle class.

Don't surveys (not sure how good they are) show that like 80% of people call themselves middle class? I don't remember the exact numbers I've seen, but it's something like people earning $600,000/year call themselves middle class, as do people earning $26,000. No one wants to admit to being an outlier, or some of them just don't realize how far off the tail of the bell curve they are.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

howdoesishotweb posted:

Sure it's "only" $99. But it adds up when you have 7 cats

OK, I kind of want to purchase this service.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Wroth IRA, surely.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
It's surprising the first time you visit Greenland and realize it's only the size of an overweight house cat.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

tomapot posted:

I even blurred the clock face on his wall.

That's some next-level poo poo.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

MomJeans420 posted:

According to the people I've met with (larger) boats, you have to factor in 10% of the purchase price per year in terms of maintenance, crew, etc. I mean, I knew a $12 million Swan was out of my league by around $12 million, but it's crazy to realize that even if someone gave me the boat, I'd have no way of running it for even a year.

GWM: I met a couple where one is the captain and the other is the chef/steward, but they don't have to pay income tax as they're living on the boat full time (they're not American). On top of that, all their expenses are paid for, so you have people making six figures, no income tax, no expenses. Downside is you live on a boat almost the entire year.

There was a Goon who wanted to live year-round on a boat, so he posted asking about it, and a bunch of other Goons were like, "I live/d on a boat, don't live on a boat," and the Goon was like, "I'm only 25, and I don't want to miss the chance to live on a boat while I'm still young," and the boat Goons were like, "I lived on a boat when I was young, and it aged me prematurely, cost me hair, gave me three types of cancer and bankrupted me," and the first Goon was all, "Yeah, I think I'm gonna live on a boat."

It was a good thread.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

My dad says the same thing and I'm "It's a Honda Civil, it'll be fine."

I want to hear the horn on this car. "A pleasant toot, meant as a gentle prodding rather than a demanding shout. ***/*****."

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I love that rich people are apparently huge suckers for the Eric Cartman "you can't come" marketing strategy.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
ASMR is that thing where barely legal smoke shows whisper at you and tap their fingers on random poo poo they find in their bedrooms, right? You can can see their tits?

Edit: Leaving that in.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

The dichotomy of reading this reddit post and the responses on the last page from this thread's incredibly affluent regulars is giving me whiplash. OP here is working 40-50hrs a week to support the homeless and is nearly homeless herself. Her effective wage is $8/hr. Jesus christ.

It's absolutely loving shameful that we undervalue our teachers, social workers, and other people who do the poo poo jobs that support our society. That must and should change if we are to progress. However, I don't think there as many Pelotonians in this thread as some people would like you to believe.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

Pretty much yeah. Half were deleted cuz r legaladvice is insanely moderated. OP seems to have a good head about it too

My only concern is the management took red pill mans side which means if he did claim it was an oral agreement could they lie on his behalf as a witness

No one at the restaurant is going to be willing to perjure themselves to help the customer who never tips* get a chunk of money. Also, an agreement and an enforceable agreement are two different things.

* I know, but come on.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I think that Rogue is naturally aspirated.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Moneyball posted:

You think Cleveland is cool? I never heard anyone say "I'm going to Cleveland for vacation"

I am literally in Cleveland on vacation right now as I type this.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

how many times have you gone to the rock hall and two other museums?

I’ve actually never been to the Rock Hall. I love a lot of the music, but they’ve been lovely corporate citizens.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

CannonFodder posted:

They are taking others out to eat but have no friends. What? Some big depression warning signs as well.

Also yes, Blue Apron and their pre-sized and easy to cook meals would be great for this person.

I’ve been gaming those services off and on for the past few years, because they sometimes offer incentives that made it essentially free to use them. Unironically, they’re pretty great. Some are better than others (I think HelloFresh is the one I liked the most, but I’m not certain), but for the most part I got great, simple recipes with the right amount of all the right ingredients. The produce even seemed to have been actually hand-selected for quality, instead of them just grabbing the first last, cheapest batch off the truck.

The cost, however...

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

I don't know how she manages that either - or really anyone in customer service - but I'm selfishly glad. I always get anything reasonable I ask for and then some because I'm not a flaming rear end in a top hat, which seems to be notable to the CSRs I deal with.

I ordered a pizza a few months ago, and it arrived quicker than expected. The delivery guy was like, "she said to take yours first because you were so polite on the phone." It was a completely normal interaction. I can't believe it stood out. Guess people suck.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
No one should be allowed to accumulate enough capital that they can afford to purchase vanity Super Bowl ads. On the other hand, Scout is a very good boy, and I hope his acting debut goes well.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Ralith posted:

Lately I've been into doing huge pots of palak paneer. It turns out that with a baking stone you can even do half decent fresh naan! Heats your house nicely in the winter, too.

You don't have to be a cultist to cook large batches of cheap delicious food.

I've made paneer dishes the past three nights. I'm using paneer I made myself using yogurt I cultured. It's kind of bad with money, because I've been buying milk from the hippie market and I had to lay in a supply of spices I don't normally have around the house, but it's good with flavor.

My favorite this week was the paneer 65 I made.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Interest-free financing on socks, anyone?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Youth Decay posted:

How do YOU afford horses?
Same here, but now in the Nothing's Ever Simple Department we have to figure out how to spend our retirement without running out before we die!

quote:

everything else is centaured around having money to have them

Horsenfreude is the best.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 17, 2020

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

BMan posted:

They absolutely do not do this, hell most of them probably don't even know there are rules

Yeah. This one literally used the word "medicine" in her post.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Bogwitch has got hustle.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Inner Light posted:

Keep in mind there's no proof of any of that and screenshots can be easily created.

Kindly take this “there’s no Santa” poo poo to another thread and leave us here to believe.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Congresspeople can have a little assets, as a treat. Confiscate the rest of that poo poo for the public good.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

Isn't it sound advice to have several months of mortgage saved up if you're running a rental property? Also like generally shouldn't you have several months of bills saved up. I mean I guess I could just spend my emergency fund on fun poo poo I earned it, But now I'm sure glad it exists.

You don't understand. If he's earning money, he deserves to spend it. That's a direct quote.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Yeah, the fact that the organizer of this was able to get 100% participation suggests that the dude has had it coming for a while.

Yes, this. Also, it doesn't matter if it's 32 tenants, or 400 tenants, or however many tenants. With more tenants comes more income, and a month is a month. There is no excuse for him not to have a month's worth of expenses put away with (presumably) 100% occupancy of the building that is his sole source of income.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The $600 unemployment supplement is the beginning of universal basic income, but don't say anything. We don't want the head boomers in charge to notice before the money starts hitting people's accounts.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dik Hz posted:

You mean the boomers that are getting UBI in the form of social security?

Yeah, those are the ones.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

If you think this is true you need to go to the /r/relationships thread to see how many people don't know how to wash their rear end.

Soap? In my rear end crack? It’s less likely than you’d think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Nib-nob tryin’ to get a point easy.