Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Wasn't this a plotline in Parks and Rec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Volmarias posted:

There's a bottle for $100000 towards the end, I feel like they just went for broke when the team was drunk enough and said "hey you want our VERY BEST???"

Also, 24k tip, a small team of servers had a VERY good night splitting that.

wtf bottle of Bacardi costs $300

Also, with all that expensive premium liquor flowing, they still ordered 135 Bud Lights

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Did you know: you can run 26 miles without being in a marathon ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6SEXp3-lo8

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
The idea that you can hold a child responsible for anything a parent does just seems ridiculous to me. It's a one way decision street, a parent chooses to have a child... not the other way around. Parent can't pay X bill? Who's gonna pay? "Oh well this person over here shares similar genes, they should pay." WHAT?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What made it tricky was that every day was "he'll probably be all better tomorrow so let's keep him one more day for another 700". If I'd been told upfront "that'll be 5,000 bucks and one terrible week" I may have made a different choice, but hanging out with the little dude at the animal hospital and knowing it was only 700 to see him at least one more day made it hard to say "OK let's put him down"

Yeah this right here. Cat gets sick, $100 vet visit. Ok. Still stick? Another visit, meds, more money. Cat gets super bad, now you’re doing that $500 imaging you weren’t sure about before. Imaging shows need for hospital stay? And somewhere along the line you are supposed to go “ok sure, that $100 right there, yeah you can just go ahead and let him die over that $100, that’s too much”...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49095495

Is this BWM? Spending $1.2M on 100 pairs of shoes seems really dumb to, but I have a sneaking suspicion it may actually turn out to be wise investment.

When you have a private Automobile Museum in which to display your silly purchases, you have evolved beyond BWM into "gently caress you I can do what I want."

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I don't think this even needs context:

quote:

Is financing an engagement ring a bad idea?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
My sister in law got a Masters of Music in Jazz Studies (or maybe Jazz Performance), which she had to pay for herself.

Other than I'm sure getting contacts with people from there, it has helped her 0 in getting gigs or teaching jobs (she gets those, but having a masters doesn't actually do anything) or any type of music career.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just out of curiosity, who do you see as the most likely manufacturers of autonomous vehicles in 2029?

Any of the major manufacturers will be capable of producing autonomous vehicles by then, the real obstacles to implementation are legal and political.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Because self driving tech won't be mandatory, it won't be cheap, and so I can't see autonomous vehicles as anything other than a luxury feature billed to the upper middle class

At some point, it absolutely will be mandatory, and it will be illegal to manually drive a car on public roads. Future generations will look back in awe at the era where any random jackass could pilot a giant death machine just by turning 16 and passing a simple test.

That won't be in 10 years, but I definitely believe it will be in our lifetime. The potential advantages of fully autodrive country are mindboggling. The question is how long is the period in between when it's *possible* and when it can actually be done because public interest completely supports it (i.e. convincing people to trust their lives to "the robots" and putting down the "you'll take my steering wheel from my cold dead hands" contingent) and those with a vested capitalist interest in it *not* happening are overcome.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 3, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Yond Cassius posted:

$411/month would actually be lower than average in parts of Detroit, where the average policy costs $5,414/year.

Holy gently caress. $411 is about what I pay in a YEAR.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

canyoneer posted:

At below fair market value too. Shame.

Here's an inspiring quote from a MLM beachbody coach

You know, I would have accepted "Going to" "Gonna" "Goin'" OR "Gon'" but "Gone" is definitely where I draw the line.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I was just in a place yesterday whose "kitchen" was just a microwave with cook times printed on it (60 seconds for a Hot Dog, 30 seconds for a Pretzel, etc). To be fair, it was an ice cream shop, but still.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

zelah posted:

His posts are wild. He’s sired three sons.

I’ve read the explanation for how he got the margin loop going to get that much credit, but someone ELI5 how much money his shenanigans would have cost if he didn’t invest it, and how much APPL would have had to go up for him to make money.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Sirotan posted:

If I can keep it going until it's 26, I qualify for a historic license plate. That is my current goal.

I have a Miata that qualifies for Antique plates, which is really GWM since you never have to pay for inspection or emissions again once you have them. But then it's illegal to drive the car more than once a week after that so...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not significantly policed

There's also no reason to get an antique tag other than to dodge inspections, so however stupid the restrictions are, it's not like it you are bound to them for any reason, you can just not get one.

Inept posted:

Just get 7 Miatas.

Why buy 7 Miatas, when if I just borrow twice as much at 29% interest I can get My Dream Truck?

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 11, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

She really should be looking at a PhD in anthropology.

Buuuuut should she though? Should she really.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Don't miss the dramatic conclusion (Edited to make it less of a wall of text. A lot goes on where he manages to make a sales guy lose his temper at him.)

Honestly I find the simplest bit the most ridiculous:

quote:

I went yesterday and had a new 2019 Crosstrek in mind

"Help me, my brand new car is way too expensive! I'm looking to get into something more affordable, so there I was at a dealership looking at other brand new cars..."

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 12, 2019

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

So now to get the same as what Netflix offered, you have to have 4-5 different subscriptions that add up to WAY more.

Right, the issue isn't that you NEED to watch everything available and thus have to subscribe to all the things, it's that if you were happily watching 5 shows and paying $15 to stream it through one service, now each of those shows is on it's own streaming provider and each one costs $10, so to enjoy the same level of service you were already being provided (actually worse because of switching apps) it will now cost $50 instead of $15.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/e3ragk/if_i_settled_in_mediation_over_an_alienation_of/

Look, I’m not a lawyer, but somehow getting yourself sued by the wife of the guy who’s cheating with you and loving agreeing to a settlement where YOU pay her multiple thousands of dollars because HE cheated on her seems like the dumbest godamn BWM thing I’ve ever heard of in my entire life. How is that even a thing.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Happened across this article today about a women who supposedly found a real Jackson Pollock at a thrift shop and bought it for $5: https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-pilot/news/tn-dpt-me-teri-horton-20180126-story.html

Maybe it's real, maybe it isn't, but what I got out of it was that she was in her mid 60s when she found it in 1992, and turned down a $9 million dollar offer because she insists on selling it for 50 million.

So she's now almost 90 and has been living in a mobile home on social security ever since finding it.

I ran a quick check on how much money she would have if she invested $9000000 in some whole market index in 1992 and even accounting for taxes it came out well north of $50 million...

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 7, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Taxes: $450/yr

What the gently caress. Your property taxes are $450 a YEAR? I pay 10x that. Where is this that I'm moving to?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Seems to me that no one orders the gold steak, they just like to bring it out for people who order the regular steak so they can charge them 10x and claim they ordered it.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

quote:

Girlfriend Owns A House And Has Been Renting It Out For $500 A Month Since 2013...

I think she bought the place with her ex in 2013 for $68,700.

Zillow says it's worth $119, 960 now. The university (Louisville, KY...we're in NJ) over there has really expanded and things have been popping up all over the place.

I don't know how much the mortgage is, but she charges the tenant $500 a month and pays the property manager (an old HS friend) $450. The tenant has been the same person since 2013 and I think they "felt bad" charging them more or something.

Rent Zestimate (if that matters) says $800.

I don't know anything about real estate, and again, it's none of my business...but if you were her, what would you do?

OP clarifies that it is $450 a month, not a one time yearly payment to the property manager...

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
“Dear Vice President of Finance and Administration,

I accept your generous offer of a brand new company car. In order for myself to be seen representing the company, a convertible would be most appropriate, something classy of course, a new Mercedes SL perhaps. Of course, the amount of money the company brings in is known to me, and it should be well within its financial reach. I’ll be in the office on Monday to take delivery. Thanks again!”

Elysium fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 23, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

GamingHyena posted:

The only industries I can think of where they might care what car you drive (off site sales, realtors) would be far more concerned with your sales numbers than the car itself.

Why would I give a poo poo what my Realtor drove? We met her at the houses we wanted to see, she could have unicycled there for all I care.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Shut up Meg posted:

If your realtor arrives on the bus, wears a worn jacket and has a phone held together with electrical tape, they are going to have to work really hard to convince most people that they are real estate geniuses

If my realtor rolled up in a Lambo that’s my cue to negotiate a lower commission because she is making way too much money for walking me around some houses and filling out offer paperwork.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I can't speak to what he "should" be paying for oil heat in his situation, but what I can speak to is HE ONLY TAKES IN $800 FROM HIS TENANTS AND THEN USES THAT $800 TO PAY THEIR HEATING BILL. Sorry, got something in my throat there.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Mr. Big over there with a new pair of sneakers every year. My light hiking shoes that I wear every day turned 5 this year.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

withak posted:

Even after his vanity presidential primary run he still has more money than everyone here will ever see combined. That is GWM.

Yeah I mean on the one hand, it's a pretty embarrassing waste of money. On the other hand I bought a $10 pizza today, which is about equivalent to the hit that Bloomberg will feel in his bank account.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

BMan posted:

Bad With Buckets

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Yeah no idea why people are going crazy over beans and frozen foods. Store was completely out of Chicken and Pork but I picked up a 12 lb full strip steak for $3.99/lb and cut 12 steaks out of it, made a huge batch of pasta sauce from scratch, made 2 dozen empanadas with various fillings, made 2 weeks worth of Chili, I keep a 20lb bag of rice in my pantry all the time. I’m set for a while before I even start on canned beans...

Oh yeah and I signed up for a free trial of one of those home food box deliveries (of which you can do like 10 times, once for each company)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 21, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Here's some low level BWM. Found this random article about a guy who collects board games. He has nearly 2000 games. Sure, you say, that's a lot, but I like board games too, having a bunch of board games around is fun. Yeah, ok, but this is the guys "collection":

What the gently caress is the point.

You know, I have a pretty large board game collection too, I keep mine housed in Amazon warehouses all across the country. I have a lot of rare titles, out of prints, I've got everything man.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I know it’s like a running joke that when people post relationship advice everyone immediately always jumps to “sever” regardless of the issues, but this seems like the most obvious case ever. If you’re a dom and your subs aren’t subbing, it’s time tell them to GTFO. (Bonus lol when they, the subs, refuse to accept the breakup with the dom)

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
What kind of Casual takes their pops out of the box?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Hamilton was a big bump, and they disabled free trials just before it dropped.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Sweet. $265 for a mystery movie that is on Netflix and FREE popcorn?

I dunno, it doesn’t seem that crazy to me, $33 a person for a 2 hour boat hangout where a movie happens to be playing. Not saying it’s a GOOD idea, but times are tough.

Really depends on the type / quality of the boat I guess.

I wonder how they plan on keeping random other boats and kayaks away if these are public waterways.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 17, 2020

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I once didn't get an entry level retail job because I failed the (likely automatically scored) personality survey. I was really confused why I didn't get a callback, because obviously I picked the answers they wanted to hear, so I talked to the manager and he gave me some "hints" that I should ALWAYS pick "Strongly Disagree" or "Strongly Agree" to every question, so I retook it and they hired me.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
I would guess that those bikes are on “sale” so that they are excluded from coupons that “don’t apply to clearance items.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Dudes paying 80k to still get swiped left for not being 6’ or taller.