Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does the success of Aquaman suggest that Solo probably would've flopped even if it had been a Christmas release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Solo flopped the millisecond Lord and Miller were fired. They were its only hope.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beachcomber posted:

Solo flopped the millisecond Lord and Miller were fired. They were its only hope.

No, there was another

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But another Star Wars movie coming out less than a year after The Last Jedi could have done well had it actually been a good movie worth seeing. Also it got released a few weeks after Avengers: Infinity War which made like 2 billion dollars.

Bumblebee actually got critical praise, and I think not having Transformers in its title could've helped it not be associated with the Bayformers movies. It probably just came out at the same time as too many other movies, so not enough people saw it, which is a shame because it really is a better made movie than Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, etc.

Nobody gives a poo poo about film critics. Many people give a poo poo about Rotten Tomatoes, which only makes the failure of Bumblebee to get asses in seats even close to any of the thoroughly reviled Bayformers sequels all the more inexplicable, unless we consider that Bumblebee was not actually hurt by the reputation of the Bayformers movies.

Again, "could have done well had it actually been a good movie worth seeing." No it couldn't. Because movies don't make money because they're good. You think Bayformers are bad. Bayformers movies did gangbusters, only one of them was a 'disappointment' because it 'only' made half a billion dollars on a quarter-billion dollar budget. My friend, you gotta disabuse yourself of this conflation of your personal assessment of film quality with why it does/does not succeed. My counter-argument is not that Bumblebee didn't do great because it was bad. My counter-argument is I don't care, and neither do the vast majority of people.

Yes, competition from other films certainly can explain how other films can perform poorly at the box office. It certainly makes more sense than, "This movie I didn't like and didn't want to do well ruined the reputation of a movie I liked and actually wanted to do well." But when it comes down to it, you have to ask the question about why the competition did better. Aquaman is coming off of the heels of loving Justice League, and yet is gonna be the most successful DC movie since The Dark Knight Rises. How can this be? How can so many people of the respective audiences of that movie, and Mary Poppins Returns, and Cartoon Spider-Man not crossover significantly with Bumblebee?

A movie makes money because distributors and advertisers are able to manufacture desire for it. People's desires to see things, beyond this, are far more informed by income and logistics. Can I pay to see this, do I have the time, and is it worth it when I can just wait for Redbox? That's what films are actually up against, not critical response, not trade gossip, not all these things that only a small minority of very vocal wonks care about.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No, there was another

But, like, apparently not?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A big example of critics meaning nothing is the fact that Bumblebee was the new release with highest RT score followed by Mary Poppins and Aquaman, but Aquaman was the number 1 movie followed by Mary Poppins and Bumblebee.

Even Rotten Tomatoes themselves is acknowledging they don't matter. They now make articles and social media posts about "Rotten Movies We Love This Year" and "Critics Vs Audience: Who Do you Agree With?" as well as showing off classic movies like Home Alone and Hook which has Rotten scores.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does the success of Aquaman suggest that Solo probably would've flopped even if it had been a Christmas release?

Star Wars was never big in China. Solo's connection to the OT means nothing to Chinese audiences since those movies were never screened there of originally.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 5, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have called the movie Han

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Solo desperately needed a more compelling hook than "Here's the backstory of a character we already explained the backstory of, with a lead actor an order of magnitude less charismatic than the original."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Actually, no one gives a poo poo about anything." -K. Waste

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

"Actually, no one gives a poo poo about anything." -K. Waste

Don't be disingenuous.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Solo changing directors halfway through is like John Carter of Mars being forced to change its name, the movie would have sucked and bombed either way because it was a bad movie about something nobody cared about but now people have a single magic bullet they can cling to in the coming years to reassure themselves that it totally would have been great if it weren't for those meddling executives.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

They should have called the movie Han

Fast and the Furious is really big in China so Universal will be screwing up big time if they don't rush out Han: A Solo Story after the Rock and Statham one. :v:

Guy Mann posted:

Solo changing directors halfway through is like John Carter of Mars being forced to change its name, the movie would have sucked and bombed either way because it was a bad movie about something nobody cared about but now people have a single magic bullet they can cling to in the coming years to reassure themselves that it totally would have been great if it weren't for those meddling executives.

Most people don't pay too much attention to who's directing a movie. It is probably far more problematic for the movie that my dad (whom I consider to be an "average moviegoer" who only turns out, if at all, for the big blockbusters) didn't even know it was coming out until about a fortnight beforehand, never mind knew who directed it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pirate Jet posted:

Don't be disingenuous.

That take isn't really wrong either though. Most people don't give a poo poo at all, they just want to watch a movie and have a fun night out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pirate Jet posted:

Don't be disingenuous.

Yeah it’s more people coincidentally don’t give a poo poo about what I don’t give a poo poo about.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's hard to imagine folks (in the US, at least) not knowing that Solo was coming out when they premiered its first trailer at the dang Super Bowl

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Guy Mann posted:

I didn't say it'd be a blockbuster, but the only chance it had was to be comedic, which they're great at.

It could have been solid instead of meh.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beachcomber posted:

I just got out of Into the Spiderverse and it loving breaks my goddamn brain how loving incredible that movie was compared to the Solo shitshow.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Trying to link Bumblebee to Bay's Transformers as if Bay's Transformers lead to the failure of Bumblebee is hilarious because if it were Bay's Bumblebee it would have made money. Bay's Transformers has nothing to do with this failure for box office and its sad to see fanboys wanting to put more hate on Bay or trying to link it to him desperately.

Bumblebee is not that recognizable in public consciousness compared to Optimus Prime or Megatron, even within Transformers he was a small time back up character, and never had a complete identity of his own in live action outside of kicking rear end and even then Prime was the primary rear end kicker who did it better and had lines of dialog. If this was named Megatron and it followed Calvin Johnson in cardboard boxes as he mugged for the camera, it would have made more money than Bumblebee. Grimlock would have made more money as he's a fighting robot dinosaur that is more iconic than Bumblebee.

It was an attempt but it has nothing to do with Bay. Whose movies at least made money and were #1 at the box office because they were visually fantastic, had recognizable lead in Optimus, drawing audiences to see a spectacle. Of which Bumblebee did not advertise as or display quite the same. It may be a good movie I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gatts posted:

Trying to link Bumblebee to Bay's Transformers as if Bay's Transformers lead to the failure of Bumblebee is hilarious because if it were Bay's Bumblebee it would have made money. Bay's Transformers has nothing to do with this failure for box office and its sad to see fanboys wanting to put more hate on Bay or trying to link it to him desperately.

Bumblebee is not that recognizable in public consciousness compared to Optimus Prime or Megatron, even within Transformers he was a small time back up character, and never had a complete identity of his own in live action outside of kicking rear end and even then Prime was the primary rear end kicker who did it better and had lines of dialog. If this was named Megatron and it followed Calvin Johnson in cardboard boxes as he mugged for the camera, it would have made more money than Bumblebee.

It was an attempt but it has nothing to do with Bay. Whose movies at least made money and were #1 at the box office because they were visually fantastic, had recognizable lead in Optimus, drawing audiences to see a spectacle. Of which Bumblebee did not advertise as or display quite the same. It may be a good movie I guess.

Bumbleebee was the second most recognizable transformer besides Prime. Hell I would put him above Megatron. He was obviously being pushed hard in the Bay movies and I think your letting your fanboyism blind you here.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bumbleebee was the second most recognizable transformer besides Prime. Hell I would put him above Megatron. He was obviously being pushed hard in the Bay movies and I think your letting your fanboyism blind you here.

I mean in terms of the original Transformers, not Bay's Transformers. Bay's Transformers did not present Bumblebee as anything interesting of his own except for kicking rear end. Of which Prime was more of a lead and impressive.

When kids or nostalgia adults think of Transformers before Bay, they didn't think "Bumblebee" they thought about Prime or Grimlock, even Hot Rod. Bumblebee was never big in the original TF fandom. He didn't have an audience like some of the other TFs had that said "poo poo, I gotta watch Bumblebee."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 5, 2019

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

they're all bad movies

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gatts posted:

I mean in terms of the original Transformers, not Bay's Transformers. Bay's Transformers did not present Bumblebee as anything interesting of his own except for kicking rear end. Of which Prime was more of a lead and impressive.

I mean I agree he wasn’t terribly interesting but he was definitely the lead transformer and the only one of the supporting cast with any real presence. If they were gonna make a spin-off Bumblebee was the only choice. As outside the main three non of the others matter.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Disney will never release a animated movie where the main character is gay and has a love interest.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I agree he wasn’t terribly interesting but he was definitely the lead transformer and the only one of the supporting cast with any real presence. If they were gonna make a spin-off Bumblebee was the only choice. As outside the main three non of the others matter.

Yeah he was outside of Megatron and Optimus in the Bay films. But whenever you ask or look at the built in fanbase they don't go "Bumblebee, man, that dude is the poo poo!" Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Grimlock, even Shockwave or Hot Rod are more recognizable or get more notoriety before anyone says "I gotta watch Bumblebee!" Whenever toys come out, it's not Bumblebee that's pushed. Even Ultra Magnus has more notoriety and versions I would venture a bet. When I go to YouTube and search for TF infodump videos, I haven't seen a Bumblebee, I've seen more about Fortress Maximus or Metroplex or Unicron and Primus.

Like, in comics or cartoons, how many Bumblebee versions are there in the lead? I should check.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 5, 2019

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tears In A Vial posted:

they're all bad movies

This is really all that you need to know.

I have seen every one of them (that has a Rifftrax) and can say unequivocally they are bad as films. No need to get all in depth about the hows and whys or overanalyze Optimus Prime

bad movies pee pee doo doo

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

Yeah he was outside of Megatron and Optimus in the Bay films. But whenever you ask or look at the built in fanbase they don't go "Bumblebee, man, that dude is the poo poo!" Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Grimlock, even Shockwave or Hot Rod are more recognizable or get more notoriety before anyone says "I gotta watch Bumblebee!" Whenever toys come out, it's not Bumblebee that's pushed. Even Ultra Magnus has more notoriety and versions I would venture a bet. When I go to YouTube and search for TF infodump videos, I haven't seen a Bumblebee, I've seen more about Fortress Maximus or Metroplex or Unicron and Primus.

Like, in comics or cartoons, how many Bumblebee versions are there in the lead? I should check.

Bumblebee is kind of a big deal in Transformers since the 1980s, and the Bay version is probably even more popular. So I don't think it's character that's the problem. In Asia, his toys usually sell the best with kids even if adults are sick of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPEEb1pnZEA

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Bumblebee is kind of a big deal in Transformers since the 1980s, and the Bay version is probably even more popular. So I don't think it's character that's the problem. In Asia, his toys usually sell the best with kids even if adults are sick of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPEEb1pnZEA

Hm. Thanks. I guess I do underestimate Bumblebee's role.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I want him in Leisure Suit Larry so he can talk about whores

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/1081346374187319297

" #ReadPlayWatch "?

Does this potentially mean Disney is giving us an Alien film on "Amanda Ripley"?

:shepicide: if so.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
loving lol if Disney gives an Alien movie. I want to see the Xenomorph Queen next to Elsa and Rapunzel as one of the Princesses.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Slutitution posted:

https://twitter.com/AlienAnthology/status/1081346374187319297

" #ReadPlayWatch "?

Does this potentially mean Disney is giving us an Alien film on "Amanda Ripley"?

:shepicide: if so.

For what it's worth, if they're doing Amanda Ripley stuff, that probably means more Alien: Isolation and related. That game was genuinely dope and I wouldn't hate a movie based off it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, there's not a whole lot to go on there, but based on recent trends I'm predicting a YA Alien movie. A ship floating in space filled with teenagers when an Alien shows up. Plucky Amanda Ripley, Ellen's daughter, will inspire the other teens to work together to throw the Alien out of the airlock--that is, when she's not busy trying to figure out if she should ask the cute but boring nice guy or the dangerous rebel to Space Prom (it's progressive because she's choosing who to ask!)

Oh and she uses Snapchat and dabs.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Aliens franchise dies a death it could not see coming. Death at the hands of YA. Once a fearsome creature, both the Alien and Predator are now jokes, their mystique gone.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

asecondduck posted:

I mean, there's not a whole lot to go on there, but based on recent trends I'm predicting a YA Alien movie. A ship floating in space filled with teenagers when an Alien shows up. Plucky Amanda Ripley, Ellen's daughter, will inspire the other teens to work together to throw the Alien out of the airlock--that is, when she's not busy trying to figure out if she should ask the cute but boring nice guy or the dangerous rebel to Space Prom (it's progressive because she's choosing who to ask!)

Oh and she uses Snapchat and dabs.

Dear God, I could totally see Alan Horn or some other clueless rear end in a top hat at Disney giving the greenlight on this bullshit.

And Ridley is off designing and directing every episode of a sci-fi TV series right now involving androids, so that is quite telling on the prospects of continuing the Covenant storyline. I think he saw the writing on the wall with Disney and said "I'm out".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For what it's worth, if they're doing Amanda Ripley stuff, that probably means more Alien: Isolation and related. That game was genuinely dope and I wouldn't hate a movie based off it.
Alien Isolation owned and I'd love to see more stuff like that in the Alien universe rather than stuff like Covenant.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah Alien: Isolation definitely didn’t play it soft in terms of horror or violence. I mean who knows what Disney will do, but the Amanda Ripley character was definitely introduced in a very on-franchise entry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’d rather have a Covenant sequel or nothing at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Alien: Isolation owns bones, its only real flaw is being way too loving long for a horror game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

But Amanda falls in love with a handsome brooding teen who houses a secret, he's half xenomorph. Only she can help him control his powers and forge a peace between peoples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather have a Covenant sequel or nothing at all.
Don't you mean a Prometheus sequel because Covenant was basically just a remake of Prometheus with a xenomorph haphazardly thrown in there