Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Real Talk. They're gonna do a Kingdom Hearts movie with their properties at some point. It's inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Probably. Derided though it may have been, that trailer for Wreck-It Ralph 2 with all the Disney princesses was the one that got all the attention.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wreck-It Ralph 2 was pretty much instantly forgettable, which sucked because the first one was one of my favorite animated movies of the last several years.

So was The LEGO Movie, so I hope The LEGO Movie 2 doesn't turn out the same way, but I'm not exactly hopeful since Lord and Miller aren't directing this one. At least they're producing it, though, so that's something.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

At least the end credits scene for Wreck-It Ralph 2 was funny because it was using an internet joke to play with the expectations for something people are genuinely excited for: https://youtu.be/r6cMr8mMUxg?t=100

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Gatts posted:

Real Talk. They're gonna do a Kingdom Hearts movie with their properties at some point. It's inevitable.

I'm more imagining a television show with Game of Thrones level production values to convince people to join its streaming service.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

At least the end credits scene for Wreck-It Ralph 2 was funny because it was using an internet joke to play with the expectations for something people are genuinely excited for: https://youtu.be/r6cMr8mMUxg?t=100
That would've been funny 10 years ago

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its 2019 and I'm still mad as hell about Mary Poppins Returns.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm more imagining a television show with Game of Thrones level production values to convince people to join its streaming service.

Yeah a TV show where all of the Disney characters you know and love live in the same world. You could even make it live action to differentiate it from other uses of the characters. You’d probably have to add a few original characters to make it sing, and if it went long enough you might have to add characters from something in the public domain to mix it up. You’d probably get a solid 6-7 seasons out of it, even if you had to time jump at the end. Give it a name like something out of a fairytale and you’re all set. Something like... Happily Ever After.

nah that would never work.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

I've always hated that these threads never used "Greenlit" because Greenlighted sounds terrible but I'm cool with Lightninged.

Thats the joke :)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Not even then

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought Ralph Breaks The Internet was pretty good! Better than Incredibles 2, actually, which felt like a fleshed out pilot for an Incredibles TV series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barudak posted:

Its 2019 and I'm still mad as hell about Mary Poppins Returns.
It didn't make me mad, it just didn't do much for me either. Then I saw Aquaman which didn't do much for me either. Then I saw Second Act which didn't do much for me either.

That was a day of overwhelmingly average movies.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mary Poppins Returns is a story about ensuring the rich stay rich, that men never have to account for anything or ever be responsible as thats a woman's job, and that the solution to "you're a loving terrible father" is to be as childish as possible. From a mechanical standpoint it is poorly paced, has extremely dull cinematography that people who would normally never notice it notice it, and doesn't understand how to setup a story arc or foreshadow things properly. Lastly, the film ends with a scene demonstrating the problems of "Angel Summoner vs. BMX Bandit" and it sort of undermines the entire point of Mary Poppins character purpose.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I just caught the trailer of All is True ( Kenneth Branagh playing Shakespeare). Why is the movie coming out in 2019? Isn't it the Oscar bait that end all Oscar baits.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I dont go into the comic book movie thread any more but a title for them could be I'm so tired of these infinity wars

The editing of Poppins 2 was so weird, i wondered if toby hooper directed it since you couldnt just follow the cool choreography for the couple of dance numbers, there were so many quick cuts from one extra to another

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/chrismcquarrie/status/1080513858479972352

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked Ocean's 8, but it was weird that during the heist, they were saved by one of the men from the original movies. (Well, not original-original, but you know.) Also that they apparently casually destroyed hundreds of priceless historical artifacts as part of their plan.

Wasn't the Jacob's Ladder remake filmed back in like 2015? It being delayed until this year does not bode well.

Speaking of long-delayed fantasy movies, I wonder if we'll ever see the adaptation of The Moon and the Sun with Pierce Brosnan that was yanked from the cinemas like three weeks before release.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The joke is that people have been trained by Marvel to expect a preview of their next movie after the credits.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gatts posted:

I would love it if they went full batshit like Nick Cave's Gladiator 2 script with Frozen 2.

Nick Cave's Frozen 2.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hillary Clinton?

:boom:

drat.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Aw i just learned one stage of Barbarella 2's development hell had Winding Refn planning to direct :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Doesn't Cavill spontaneously grow a beard during the reload? I guess he can just do that at will since there were no vfx during that scene.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

got any sevens posted:

I dont go into the comic book movie thread any more but a title for them could be I'm so tired of these infinity wars

The editing of Poppins 2 was so weird, i wondered if toby hooper directed it since you couldnt just follow the cool choreography for the couple of dance numbers, there were so many quick cuts from one extra to another

The single most astonishing cut for me is there is a part during the absurdly way too long trip the light fantastic dance number where the camera cuts quickly from all the action to the outerring of lamp posts at near the very top level so a ton of ladders and guys on them just plop into frame, and then guys jump from below the frame forward and instead of following them or zooming out so you can actually see the dance move it cuts again except it doesnt cut to finish the move, it just goes to new unrelated dance step.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
How the gently caress did this get a sequel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igCFTDEIq0Y

It's actually getting a limited theatrical release (plus simultaneous VOD release) on Jan 11. The original starred Rob Schneider as the main character but this time he passed on the role so they had to recast. They couldn't get Rob Schneider.

(Rob's only listed acting roles for 2018 were a cameo appearance in a music video and a minor VA role in the videogame Madden NFL 19)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The last movie I saw in 2018 was the House With a Clock in the Walls. Sadly quite boring. I could see the constant insults between Jack Black's and Cate Blanchett's characters working in the book, but in the movie it fell totally flat. Waste of Kyle Maclachlan, acting through thick make up and voice modulation. And having the protag being a wet blanket wiener kid was novel, but not fun (and again, something I see working better in the book).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The main kid of that movie was basically the weird kid in line to see Santa in A Christmas Story

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GrandpaPants posted:

Doesn't Cavill spontaneously grow a beard during the reload? I guess he can just do that at will since there were no vfx during that scene.

No, the lighting just shifts.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Stuff not in the OP I did see in 2018:

Rampage: part of the Extended The Rock Makes Boring Movies Now Universe. On the bright side, they got a decent amount of mileage out of an adaptation of a ‘80s arcade game.

The Meg: Jason Statham and the nation of China bringing you exactly what it says on the tin (see the trailer and you can fill in the blanks). My nominee for the Please Don’t Let The Main Characters Get Romantically Involved award.

12 Strong: Chris Hemsworth is an all-American soldier riding a horse in Afghanistan. Noteworthy for giving Michael Shannon a paycheck before The Shape of Water got us obsessed about fish-loving.

24 Hours to Live: Remember Hobo with a Shotgun? The creators of this movie did, because they make good use of the 6 minutes of Rutger Hauer they got. There’s also something about Ethan Hawke being an assassin that gets resurrected for a day when he messes up. I don’t really remember.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, Rampage came out in 2018? Holy gently caress, 2018 really did last like a decade in one year. I could've sworn I saw that movie years ago hahahahaha

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I just watched One cut of the dead , a Japanese zombie film that somehow only cost 3 million jpy and has been making the film festival circuit. The whole show was a pure delight and I strongly recommend you (even if you already hate zombie films to death) to watch it. It does something quite clever with the genre, and you may be seeing some weird poo poo or unbearable horror cliches in the beginning but trust me, just keep watching!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2XfUDfjN0

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

No, the lighting just shifts.

A pocket appears where there was no pocket before on his shirt though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

got any sevens posted:

I definitely would have liked to see Tobe Hooper's take on Mary Poppins.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Spider-Man: Far From Dust - The leaked plot sounds like it addresses the refugee movement in Europe in a clumbsy way if you want to know how all the think pieces will go.

Oh no

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Strongly recommend Bumblebee while still in theaters. Every time his eyes go sad my heart just broke. Points in the movie's favor:

The run-time is just under two hours.

Nobody soils their pants at any point.

We don't see anyone's rear end at any point either.

Despite the presence of one human character from the Bay films, this movie is completely unrelated to them and outright contradicts them.

The film focuses on three robots: a yellow-one, a red-one, and a blue-one. Any other bots are cameos who don't crowd the place.

Like Ant-Man the step-dad isn't a jerk but a well-meaning bumbler.

There is a semi-nice guy on the heroic-side who the movie gently makes fun of the whole time.

The film riffs on loads of 80's tunes because the movie is set in the loving 80's, unlike Ready Player One where everyone share the author's taste in pop despite it being 56 years since the 80's ended.

The movie also does the Iron Giant better than the disrespectful way it was in Ready Player One.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 3, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Who was the character that was also in the Bay films? I only ever saw the first. Uncle Hank?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

I made it about half-way through the latest Avengers on Netflix the other day before I decided going to bed was a good idea instead of finishing it.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Vince MechMahon posted:

A pocket appears where there was no pocket before on his shirt though.

there was no reflection on the so-called engine on the so-called 767 that hit the south tower you sheep
it was all digital visual special effects computers

The pocket was flush with the rest of his chest at first, and then he moved in a way that made it bulge out from the shirt you nincompoop

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I made it about half-way through the latest Avengers on Netflix the other day before I decided going to bed was a good idea instead of finishing it.

It's worth finishing for Peter Parker but that's about it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Iron Crowned posted:

I had an okay opinion of it after seeing it in theaters, but as time went on more and more issues with it began to pop up. I decided to give it another shot after it dropped on Netflix and it just feels very... white noisey. I got bored around thirty minutes in and realized I had no interest in committing another two hours and peaced out. I know some people dig it, which is fine, but it was a one and done for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Someone help me out, isn’t the February release for Aliya its second push-back? Didn’t it go summer 2017 -> December 2017 -> February 2018? Or am I just misremembering?

Gatts posted:

1. Godzilla King of the Monsters
2. John Wick 3
3. Cold Pursuit
4. Elsa 2: Lesbian Boogaloo
5. Avengers: All the Money

My most anticipated 2019.

Mine are:
Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile (the Zac Efron as Ted Bundy movie, which has a buckwild cast including Haley Joel Osmont, Jeffrey Donovan, John Malkovich, and James Hetfield!)
Godzilla: King of the Monsters
Us
Detective Pikachu