Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

I know for a fact in my mind I did not see her do that in Dr Strange and yet I feel like I very much did

Well she must have done such in Constantine :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Doggles posted:

What if, get this, jet fuel could melt steel beams?

Men in Black: Meltdown, coming Summer 2021

Is stephen king the only one so far that has brought 9/11 into their fictional lore? Like lots of stuff has "my son was a firefighter on 9/11" or made fictional events analogies of 9/11 but as far as I can think only the dark tower brought 9/11 into a supernatural sort of lore with the "black 13 was in 9/11 and/or caused 9/11"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Doggles posted:

What if, get this, jet fuel could melt steel beams?

Men in Black: Meltdown, coming Summer 2021

So the original ending to mib2?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Boys has a 9-11 happen but it is different

There was also that Fox series where there was an alternate universe and the giveaway was the Twin Towers were still up

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I forget if it was this thread but there was Sarah Connor Chronicles (though it happened as is) where it's told to her by cholos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPzzYhuhOxo

I joked that michael pena should have been the one retelling it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rageaholic posted:

I saw The Dead Don't Die, which wasn't a great movie, but if you'd enjoy seeing Tilda Swinton proficiently decapitate zombies with a katana (& honestly who wouldn't?), it might be worth your time.

She does this for one minute and the rest of the movie is tedious and an absolute waste of the cast. Like loving MIB was more enjoyable because at least things moved along. They were both equally unfunny, though.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
It's kind of hard to incorporate 9/11 into any kind of fictional mythos because it was verboten for so long and after it "became alright" to talk about it had become associated with so much reprehensible poo poo (Iraq, truthers, anything to do with the Bush admin) that bringing it up in any capacity is like walking into a minefield and anyone crazy enough to try anyway is usually the absolute last person who should be saying anything about it (looking at you Orci).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

that and "Jews did 9/11" kinda makes alt 9/11 theories icky in general

and jokes about it make you a edgelord not fit for public consumption hence why we're here and not allowed outside

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Boys has a 9-11 happen but it is different

There was also that Fox series where there was an alternate universe and the giveaway was the Twin Towers were still up

lol by "that Fox series" do you mean Fringe?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Autism Sneaks posted:

I couldn't tell you the difference between it and Bones except one has the other deschanel and boreanaz and the other has casey affleck or tobey maguire or idk

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alan Smithee posted:

I couldn't tell you the difference between it and Bones except one has the other deschanel and boreanaz and the other has casey affleck or tobey maguire or idk

Bones is a bad procedural, Fringe was a great show that started as an X-Files riff and eventually became a crazy story about mad scientists and parallel universes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Autism Sneaks posted:

I wanted to bring that up, but I never watched the show and know absolutely nothing about Fringe except it loved alt-universe shenanigans and also those magical hat guys from The Adjustment Bureau show up at some point.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Bones is a bad procedural,

Didn't one season end with the main characters partner revealing he was Super Evil all along before he died on the way to his home planet?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chris James 2 posted:

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/1140272023324807169

this thing’s going to be lucky if it makes $70mil in the US total

I don't usually post these graphs any more but this one is just pathetically hilarious:

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/...ast-Stand/X-Men

According to the Wikipedia listing it had a $200 million production budget which is pretty much the same as Last Stand and Days of Future Past, the most expensive entries in the franchise.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Didn't one season end with the main characters partner revealing he was Super Evil all along before he died on the way to his home planet?

Close enough. That's where I nope'd out of the show.

They spent the entire season on this sub-plot about a cannibalistic serial killer, only to reveal in the season finale that one of Bones' team members was the secret assistant for said killer. It felt like it came out of nowhere and left me laying there afterwards going 'wait did that really just happen'?

He didn't die though, just got locked in an insane asylum, IIRC.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The weirdest thing about Bones is that the series finale was in 2017. I could've sworn it ended like a decade ago.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bones also had a crossover with Fox's Sleepy Hollow, which means in Bones there are zombies and demons kept at bay using magic and technology wielded by the Founding Fathers.

Fringe is also a freaking nerdy show. One detail about the alternate universe they went to was that DC published Red Lantern/Arrow comics instead of the Green versions we got.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The weirdest thing about Bones is that the series finale was in 2017. I could've sworn it ended like a decade ago.
I figured it was still going, like NCIS.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The MSJ posted:

Bones also had a crossover with Fox's Sleepy Hollow, which means in Bones there are zombies and demons kept at bay using magic and technology wielded by the Founding Fathers.

Fringe is also a freaking nerdy show. One detail about the alternate universe they went to was that DC published Red Lantern/Arrow comics instead of the Green versions we got.

My favorite alternate universe thing in Fringe is that Cary Grant starred in The Maltese Falcon instead of Bogart and Casablanca starred Ronald Reagan and had a happy ending.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Autism Sneaks posted:

I couldn't remember the name and I only know the plots from seeing it mentioned on blogs

The MSJ posted:

Sleepy Hollow was so insane in the first season and just took a big dump on itself until it drove everyone away, a shame

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But Casablanca does have a happy ending?

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\ Seriously, :wtc:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I wanted to bring that up, but I never watched the show and know absolutely nothing about Fringe except it loved alt-universe shenanigans and also those magical hat guys from The Adjustment Bureau show up at some point.

The boy wonder was a serial killer, iirc. Also there was a Family Guy crossover dream sequence.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Barudak posted:

But Casablanca does have a happy ending?

Skratchez posted:

/\/\/\ Seriously, :wtc:

“Happy” as in Rick runs off with Ilsa at the end.

Skratchez
Dec 28, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah it's called Springtime for Hitler :clint:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite alternate universe thing in Fringe is that Cary Grant starred in The Maltese Falcon instead of Bogart and Casablanca starred Ronald Reagan and had a happy ending.

Does Reagan get shot by Bogey

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn't they also have a cinema that was playing Back to the Future starring Eric Stoltz? They clearly liked those kind of jokes.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eric Stoltz was the star of Back to the Future, too. Fringe had so many cool little details like that.

E: beaten. Should have refreshed first.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay I had some time to spare so I ran out and caught Men In Black: International and it just felt so perfunctory. Everyone was just running through the motions, Hemsworth and Neeson were clearly sleepwalking through their roles. Hemsworth was weirdly uncharismatic for the first 3/4 of the film and had zero chemistry with Tessa Thompson. She was actually good but not good enough to save the film and it felt like the writers forgot what her character's traits were supposed to be from scene to scene. Emma Thompson did okay with what she had, which wasn't much.

The thing that really gets me about MIB International is... why would other countries have the MIB? They're such an American concept. I don't think Europe, North Africa, Asia, or even other nations have that kind of image of the government, so why the heck would you go 'let's take this cool concept that works super well in New York and take it to another country'?

It's not even that much of a MIB movie. I think if you changed a couple of names, this would be the most generic 'humans defend the planet against aliens' plot ever.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-53Ba6hIEAc

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The comic book series Ex Machina has it as part of the story that the main character was able to stop one of the planes so only one tower went down.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

stratofarius posted:

The thing that really gets me about MIB International is... why would other countries have the MIB? They're such an American concept. I don't think Europe, North Africa, Asia, or even other nations have that kind of image of the government, so why the heck would you go 'let's take this cool concept that works super well in New York and take it to another country'?

It's not even that much of a MIB movie. I think if you changed a couple of names, this would be the most generic 'humans defend the planet against aliens' plot ever.

New York is also famous for being the first port of call for mass immigration with the whole “Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" history and for taking in foreigners from anywhere and assimilating them whatever they looked like but I guess that might also be why MIB London seemed to be more concerned about organising some sex tourism for the interstellar equivalent of Saudi royalty than processing space refugees.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

stratofarius posted:

Because they're not thinking of MIB as a "mythology". They're thinking "of course an agency that handles alien life on Earth is global". In fact, many now would also think your view for the MiB legend as offensively America-centric.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The film also slightly developed the idea of aliens working for the MIB that was touched on in the original film (the Worm guys that hang out in the MIB break room, the octopus-like things operating the observation screens) by having a bunch of aliens wandering around in MIB agent black suits and such but just didn't do much with it, which was disappointing. I have a suspicion that half the time it was because they realised they could save money by putting a monster mask on a person in a black suit rather than creating an entire alien costume.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

lol Remember Me's ending

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPyd9J9kkJk

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

god i love that last shot. feels like yakety sax is about to start playing any second

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be surprised if nobody had added the Curb theme to the end of that yet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The comic book series Ex Machina has it as part of the story that the main character was able to stop one of the planes so only one tower went down.

I liked that series but one of its dumbest moments was when there was this whole thing about Mitchell having to decide what would be built in the destroyed tower's place and then he makes this passionate and dramatic speech to reveal... that the original tower is going to be rebuilt exactly the same. As if that if that was the case in real life, that wouldn't be pretty much the only thing you could do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

I liked that series but one of its dumbest moments was when there was this whole thing about Mitchell having to decide what would be built in the destroyed tower's place and then he makes this passionate and dramatic speech to reveal... that the original tower is going to be rebuilt exactly the same. As if that if that was the case in real life, that wouldn't be pretty much the only thing you could do.

Makes me wonder how that would go actually, would be surprised if a surviving second tower wouldn't basically have to be condemned anyway from structural damage.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Makes me wonder how that would go actually, would be surprised if a surviving second tower wouldn't basically have to be condemned anyway from structural damage.

IIRC in the comic the surviving tower is abandoned and under guard even several years afterwards. At one point an activist sneaks in and base jumps off of it.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Because they're not thinking of MIB as a "mythology". They're thinking "of course an agency that handles alien life on Earth is global". In fact, many now would also think your view for the MiB legend as offensively America-centric.

Or maybe Sony wants to turn Men in Black into an extended universe so they crapped a dumb movie out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's feeling like every studio except Disney is just going to eat poo poo all year. Even Detective Pikachu which I thought was a surefire hit, only did ok at the box office.