Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spy Hard definitely doesn't hold up but it does have this brilliant gag which I still reference to this day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RsB-L2fQY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Even the real bad ones have one solid gag, like the Marcel Marceau joke in Silent Movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My favorite Orlando Bloom role was Andros from Power Rangers in Space

Only Orlando has the brains to rule Lylat

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Everyone who likes police squad should watch "a touch of cloth"

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Meatballs is straight up not a good movie.

Plenty of 80s comedy is good though.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Like Porky's

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

kiimo posted:

I've watched them so many times that I no longer remember which had which jokes like I don't know if the movie had the boxing conversation or if that was in the show or 2 1/2 or what but all of it is solid gold.

It doesn't help that there's a few jokes that they recycle from the show for the movie as well. The piece of banana on the tall cop's face is one that I can think of off the bat.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Look at all of you forgetting Top Secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRi-a8hPh0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Val Kilmer's first movie and he also really sings the songs. One of the best.

Best scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDNjDnKxAfA

And this is how they filmed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czuC1LWcPMc

kiimo fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 24, 2019

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

I think the tallywhacker scene is the hardest I'd ever laughed at that point in my life

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Stink Billyums posted:

I think the tallywhacker scene is the hardest I'd ever laughed at that point in my life

"And Mrs. Ballbricker could give a description!""

I totally loving lost it. I was crying with laughter.

It also always struck me as weird that the woman who played the hooker in the prank (which was also funny as hell) was the mom on Webster.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

Val Kilmer's first movie and he also really sings the songs. One of the best.

Best scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDNjDnKxAfA

You can thank the plaster cast from that facial prosthetic for helping to animate Cushing's corpse in Rogue One.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

feedmyleg posted:

You can thank the plaster cast from that facial prosthetic for helping to animate Cushing's corpse in Rogue One.

Not even that will make me hate Top Secret!

The one movie poster I have on my wall is the Spanish-language version.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 24, 2019

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Link it rear end in a top hat

https://www.amazon.com/Talon-God-Wesley-Snipes/dp/0062668161

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look at all of you forgetting Top Secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRi-a8hPh0

Chocolate Mousse for life. I still laugh at "Gasoline, hahahaha" before he chugs down the bottle.

Also him being introduced along with the other ridiculously-named rebels with a cannon, and then him shown using that cannon like a rifle later during the siege

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even the real bad ones have one solid gag, like the Marcel Marceau joke in Silent Movie.

This stupid one-off gag from the terrible Scary Movie sequels kills me every time I see it:

https://youtu.be/iOL5UF5WSX4

That and every Leslie Nielson appearance.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Scary Movie 3 is the best Scary Movie IMO

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Scary Movie 3 is the best Scary Movie IMO

Is that the one where he cocks the shovel? That gets me every time.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Everyone loves the shovel cock

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Last year I sat down and watched the Scary Movie series, for some reason. At the time they came out I didn't want to see them cause they looked like poo poo. The first few are actually quite funny, and then 4 or 5 just gets real bad.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The first one is incredible.

Then, for some reason, they just....kept making them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnV7fuxnz8

Shawn Wayans drooling all over the place in the midst of his excitement will never not crack me up.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The gap in quality between 1 and 2 was pretty startling, the first is still my fave though
Not really a fan of them post-wayans

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My introduction to the Naked Gun series was seeing the first scene of 33 1/3rd on TV. I hadn't seen The Untouchables yet at this point, but it was one of the funniest movie scenes I'd seen at that point in my life.

Edit: I was watching a best Frank Drebin lines video. There's a part where Jane confronts him about how he doesn't want to have kids, and he mentions that he tried to "adopt that 18 year old Korean girl". I get that joke now:stare:

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 24, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

Okay I'm gonna shoot off some hot takes about 80s comedies

Stripes was overrated

When you look back understanding how big of a prick Chevy Chase was it kind of ruins Fletch since he's just running around being Chevy Chase

I can't remember one detail about the story in Meatballs

Animal House is overrated

Spies Like Us was one of my favorite movies and was almost ruined by Dan Akroyd's wife and her weird delivery

Caddyshack is a classic and also has some extremely weird poo poo going on like the side story about Danny getting Maggie pregnant in fact what happened to Danny's college is that the moral of the story don't go to college because it pays to just be a smartass instead in fact why was Danny in the movie at all gently caress Danny

Meatballs and Animal House are 70s comedies. :eng101: Caddyshack might have also been a 70's movie except Hurricane David delayed production and it was released in 1980.

The only thing that really elevates Stripes was Murray's "There's something very wrong with us!" motivational speech which was the very best out of all the motivational speeches that were pretty much an essential element of the "schlubby losers take on The Establishment and win" comedies of that era including Revenge Of The Nerds, Meatballs, Animal House, Trading Places, Ghostbusters, etc etc etc..

Padgjj
Jan 4, 2008
Never trouble trouble 'til trouble troubles you
Someone mentioned The Jerk earlier but I also love the other two Martin/Reiner collabs, The Man With Two Brains and Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

I also came across this really funny romantic spoof with Steve Martin and Charles Grodin called The Lonely Guy having never heard of it before. Some hilarious gags in that one and my favourite Grodin character outside of Midnight Run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXCVIXXNghw

I really don't understand Caddyshack, I've tried it a few times but not a single laugh in there for me except maybe the weird sounds Chase makes when putting.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Reich Joyce posted:

I really don't understand Caddyshack, I've tried it a few times but not a single laugh in there for me except maybe the weird sounds Chase makes when putting.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally watch Caddyshack 2?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are you sure you didn't accidentally watch Caddyshack 2?

Yeah, for a long time I thought I had seen Caddyshack, but it was just Caddyshack 2. Things like this happen to me a lot with sequels from the 80's

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Where does Stripes fall in all this 80s comedy talk?

I remember liking it as a kid, but I can't quite rule out that the mud wrestling scene played a large role in that.

Trading Places is still one of my all time favourites though.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

MrBling posted:

I remember liking it as a kid, but I can't quite rule out that the mud wrestling scene played a large role in that.

if it's on TV I usually change the channel after they graduate. up to that point it's fantastic but there's a pretty drastic drop afterward so I'm hesitant to rank it really high.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stink Billyums posted:

if it's on TV I usually change the channel after they graduate. up to that point it's fantastic but there's a pretty drastic drop afterward so I'm hesitant to rank it really high.

It's like they had an idea for a wacky bootcamp comedy and a wacky behind-enemy-lines sequel but they couldn't think of enough material to flesh them both out so they just mooshed them together.

Police Academy is pretty much the exact same film but it pulls it off a lot better.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MrBling posted:

Stripes is pretty good up until they graduate as mentioned. It has a lot of funny people in it being funny. Several SCTV people all doing their thing.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Police Academy is pretty much the exact same film but it pulls it off a lot better.

I've seen a lot of spicy takes but I've never seen anyone say Police Academy is the better movie.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jose Oquendo posted:

I've seen a lot of spicy takes but I've never seen anyone say Police Academy is the better movie.

The original Police Academy is actually pretty solid (apart from a bunch of :chloe: 80s gags) even though the sequels are godawful and it definitely pulls off the "training but then suddenly their first mission" segue a lot better than Stripes does.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Meatballs and Animal House are 70s comedies. :eng101: Caddyshack might have also been a 70's movie except Hurricane David delayed production and it was released in 1980.

The only thing that really elevates Stripes was Murray's "There's something very wrong with us!" motivational speech which was the very best out of all the motivational speeches that were pretty much an essential element of the "schlubby losers take on The Establishment and win" comedies of that era including Revenge Of The Nerds, Meatballs, Animal House, Trading Places, Ghostbusters, etc etc etc..

The only thing I remember from Stripes is the part where the recruiter asks them if they're gay. "Would they send us somewhere special?" has really great delivery.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Detective No. 27 posted:

Spy Hard's best gag was the driver who had a different outfit, wig, and car each time he showed up.

If you watch it again pause it when he opens the folder in the motel room with the lady on the bed and read it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, for a long time I thought I had seen Caddyshack, but it was just Caddyshack 2. Things like this happen to me a lot with sequels from the 80's

I was blown away when I went back to watch the previous Terminator movies when Salvation was coming out. Apparently I had never seen the first film.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

I was blown away when I went back to watch the previous Terminator movies when Salvation was coming out. Apparently I had never seen the first film.

Terminator is good, but it's also one of the rare examples where the sequel is actually better. I'd say Alien/Aliens is the same, but apparently that's controversial.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

I wouldn't take that first statement as a given either.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Are the lesser mel Brooks movies worth watching like high anxiety and twelve chairs

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To Be or Not to Be is a good remake imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just watched High Anxiety like a month or so ago since I have that box set. It's very much for people who love Alfred Hitchcock. There's good gags in there, but I felt like I was missing references.

Twelve Chairs I watched when I first got that set years ago. It's not as much of a comedy. It was interesting to see an early Brooks do a first attempt of a film without his humor, but I hardly remember much of it at this point.