Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Pennywise is a representation of the casual cruelty that goes on in middle-class suburbia. The whole joke of It is that adults largely don’t care about children being monsters to each other, hence the bullying epidemics that are only just now getting even half-hearted attention - so King ratchets up the violence and says that adults wouldn’t even care if a human-eating alien clown started devouring children. Given that Derry is largely a white middle-upper-class town, it makes sense they’d treat gays and blacks with the same kind of disregard for humanity.

Sorry folks, Pennywise is definitely a bigot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

neil labute was in the great documentary cleanflix though i only remembered it was him from that picture.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Patrick Spens posted:

I like what I've heard of hers, but I also like e.g. Nickleback.

I dislike Nickelback but I do enjoy a few tracks off of Who Killed Amanda Palmer, though I think a lot of my appreciation is due to Ben Folds' production.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Amanda Palmer had some really excellent material with Dresden Dolls and her first solo album, then started buying into her own hype and made some of the worst social media posts known to humanity instead of writing good music.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I always thought it was funny that right after he married Amanda Palmer, Gaiman wrote The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which has a plot where the children of a family are helpless to stop their father being seduced by an evil woman intruding on their family.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Bogus Adventure posted:

Is this the real life?

It was written by and for a queer audience in Out magazine, I don't think "hey if you're sensitive to homophobia maybe pass on the movie where Pennywise calls a kid slurs and the opening is a re-enactment of a real-life hate crime" in that context written by a single outlet is anywhere near the travesty people are painting it as.

exquisite tea posted:

Amanda Palmer had some really excellent material with Dresden Dolls and her first solo album, then started buying into her own hype and made some of the worst social media posts known to humanity instead of writing good music.

Realtalk is there any way you people could just make a catchall celebrity gossip thread somewhere else so people who want to discuss actual media and not social media can do so in peace.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Realtalk is there any way you people could just make a catchall celebrity gossip thread somewhere else so people who want to discuss actual media and not social media can do so in peace.

you could just ignore the posts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Patrick Spens posted:

I like what I've heard of hers, but I also like e.g. Nickleback.

I don't know how hating Nickelback became a thing. Paralyzer is a real fun tune.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't know how hating Nickelback became a thing. Paralyzer is a real fun tune.

That's Finger Eleven, not Nickelback, and if you like "Paralyzer" it's probably because it reminds you of Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

they're bad at music.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I’m gonna say that was a joke.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Nickleback’s biggest crimes are that they’re mindnumbingly boring and recycle poo poo all the time.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could just ignore the posts.

And you could just as well not make them. We've found ourselves in a sort of conundrum.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It’s not really a conundrum unless you assume anyone but that one weirdo cares

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
drat we are starved for content

the goldfinch bombed much like the bomb that goes off in the movie which is literally all i know about it

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It Chapter 2 is really good, IMHO. I feel like the pacing in Chapter 1 is better because it doesn't have to worry about jumping back and forth in time because of flashbacks, but it's still incredibly entertaining.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Alan Smithee posted:

the goldfinch bombed much like the bomb that goes off in the movie which is literally all i know about it

The book was stupid so I'm glad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
imagine a black guy taking a painting from the museum they'd still be finding new ways to kill him

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

I was about to post "The what?" and then I just looked it up myself and that sounds terrible.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Jesus I didn’t even know they made it into a movie. The book has its moments but it’s not great. Why is The Secret History not a movie is my question that thing is begging to be filmed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The book apparently won a Pulitzer prize. Is it just bad source material or a poor adaptation?

Also reading the Wiki summary of the (movie's) plot makes it sound as self-important as Collateral Beauty, but, y'know, without the wtfness of that beautiful disaster.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Bad source material.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
If you're a regular in the political cartoon thread you'd have a good idea of just the kind of absolute poo poo that can win pulitzers.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Gaunab posted:

The book was stupid so I'm glad.

I liked it ok. I really can't see it being made into a movie though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

porfiria posted:

Jesus I didn’t even know they made it into a movie. The book has its moments but it’s not great. Why is The Secret History not a movie is my question that thing is begging to be filmed.

...by Procopius?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GrandpaPants posted:

The book apparently won a Pulitzer prize. Is it just bad source material or a poor adaptation?

Also reading the Wiki summary of the (movie's) plot makes it sound as self-important as Collateral Beauty, but, y'know, without the wtfness of that beautiful disaster.

The book is fine (though if you want to read Donna Tart, I would recommend “The Secret History” instead). It mainly operates as a character study and a meditation on the long shadow of trauma. Without the benefit of Tart’s narration or the focus on Theo’s relationships with others, I can see how the contrivances of the plot might quickly devolve into the absurd.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 16, 2019

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

The book is fine (though if you want to read Donna Tart, I would recommend “The Secret History” instead). It mainly operates as a character study and a meditation on the long shadow of trauma. Without the benefit of Tart’s narration or the focus on Theo’s relationships with others, I can see how the contrivances of the plot might quickly devolve into the absurd.

The AVClub recently put out an article describing exactly that:

https://film.avclub.com/without-the-book-s-passionate-relationships-the-goldfi-1838009749

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
We deserve this
https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1173642199457771520?s=21

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Funko Pop Jesus Wept.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

And I thought the poster for the CGI Addams Family movie was the worst thing I would see this week...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That movie will come out just as the Funko Pop craze dies out like all of those other kids movies about toys and games

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Bogus Adventure posted:

And I thought the poster for the CGI Addams Family movie was the worst thing I would see this week...

I can imagine the Funko Pop thing working if they play up how generic the moulds are, like to do different things all the characters need to do is get repainted and that automatically retrains them to the new role. Like "We need to build this skyscraper... Joker, Batman, Aang! We need you to be repainted as Bob the Buider, stat!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

They Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lobok posted:

They Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
That ~Generic Entertainment Product~ that is vaguely reminiscent of that taste you used to like may get some representation soon.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

It's not, we're just friends.

the fact that I feel the need to assert this to a stranger on the internet is not representative of anything

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I can imagine the Funko Pop thing working if they play up how generic the moulds are, like to do different things all the characters need to do is get repainted and that automatically retrains them to the new role. Like "We need to build this skyscraper... Joker, Batman, Aang! We need you to be repainted as Bob the Buider, stat!"

I hate these things because they feel like the perfect example symptom of late stage capitalism. They have no use or purpose other than to get you to buy them and set them on a shelf, and they are legion because anything and everything related to entertainment can be slapped onto its generic model. They loving suck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bogus Adventure posted:

I hate these things because they feel like the perfect example symptom of late stage capitalism. They have no use or purpose other than to get you to buy them and set them on a shelf, and they are legion because anything and everything related to entertainment can be slapped onto its generic model. They loving suck.

I think initially they were meant as like a nice little cheap gift you could get a co-worker or something if you know they like movie/t.v. show X, but then of course nerds have to take everything to the extreme so this entire collectors market emerged and FUNKO totally embraced it with rare exclusive variants and similar nonsense. I don't know that FUNKO expected it to turn into like, the successor to Beanie Babies but then when it did they saw the chance at huge money and ran with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean trinkets you buy just to exist have always been a thing.

Your grandma probably had a few precious memories figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean trinkets you buy just to exist have always been a thing.

Your grandma probably had a few precious memories figures

Passing my prized funko pops to my grandchildren.