Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Ideally this is how it should work, but this never happens in practice.

Yeah. But honestly, I try not to be too aggressive these days with "THIS IS HOW THINGS SHOULD BE". Like, I have firm opinions on this kind of thing and other stuff that I have an interest in, but I can't remember the last angry argument I got into, and it's really loving liberating.

I started enjoying social media and SA way more once I realized that not every person I considered wrong needed to be put in their place; like maybe some of the above folks are right and it will rule. That'd be great!

I'm not sure why I chose to share this. But I'm in a better mental place lately and I get kinda open when I feel okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Getting older is all about learning when not to give a poo poo about stuff.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don’t think it bungled the message, it’s just that the message was buy legos to cure your daddy issues

Ehh I mean yes that is one reading of it but I took the whole plotline with Emmit being the special to be more of the message, that you are special, that everyone is special and we should celebrate that. It's not a deep message, but I think it's a good one for a movie mostly aimed at children.

Of course I've had Legos since I was 3 so I don't really see a problem with parents and kids bonding over them as a shared interest so my affection for the Lego Movie makes me biased from the start.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I agree with Ebert's take that remaking movies people loved is a bad idea (i.e. remaking Casablanca would be flat out commercial suicide, IMO), remake movies that missed the mark and try to improve on them instead

I definitely agree on the pointlessness of remaking great movies. But if you're going to have to change a bunch of things because the original was bad, and there's isn't an existing audience with positive associations with the original because it wasn't popular, you can just make a new movie inspired by the original without paying for the rights to the name, the original writers, etc. Stealing the good parts of bad movies / books / any artistic endeavor is extremely common, it just doesn't get credited or compensated.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sir Kodiak posted:

I definitely agree on the pointlessness of remaking great movies. But if you're going to have to change a bunch of things because the original was bad, and there's isn't an existing audience with positive associations with the original because it wasn't popular, you can just make a new movie inspired by the original without paying for the rights to the name, the original writers, etc. Stealing the good parts of bad movies / books / any artistic endeavor is extremely common, it just doesn't get credited or compensated.

People certainly like Stranger Things.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Stranger Things is a little different in that they're mostly ripping on good movies so they do winking nods to the originals. If you steal from bad movies you don't have to bother with that (though you still might).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
surprised Ant Man doesn't have a Mac and Me reference

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

surprised Ant Man doesn't have a Mac and Me reference

It's obviously right there man.

https://youtu.be/H9fqZlo60_8

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I suppose there is the argument that a remake of this or that movie will, if it's bad (which in all honesty it probably will) end up harming the willingness of newer generations to see the original. Like you try to get someone to see the original Casablanca, but the lovely new one makes them go "That movie sucked, why would I see it again?".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kevin coster for Wesley

galagazombie posted:

I suppose there is the argument that a remake of this or that movie will, if it's bad (which in all honesty it probably will) end up harming the willingness of newer generations to see the original. Like you try to get someone to see the original Casablanca, but the lovely new one makes them go "That movie sucked, why would I see it again?".

Barb Wire doesnt suck tho

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
We already got a modern Princess Bride. It was called Galavant and it was great and nobody watched it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

feedmyleg posted:

We already got a modern Princess Bride. It was called Galavant and it was great and nobody watched it.

Which was a shame because it was fantastic!

Way back in days of old
There was a legend told...

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

remaking princess bride is such a dumb idea that it doesnt even really annoy me because theres no way it wont be a flop. its a movie that people only like because it has a great cast and a bunch of iconic dialog so theres nothing to update

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

they are going to modernize it by making Inigo and Fezzik gay

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

To make it more extreme the 6 fingered man now has 9 fingers. On each hand

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The remake will open with the grisly murder of Montoya's father. It was a cinema sin of the original that they didn't show us, only told us.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I changed my mind, the six fingered man who killed Montoyas father is now six Fingermen. A team of mercenaries, all of whose bodies are covered in writhing fingers, each one more powerful and more grotesque than the last

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

uh p sure you guys are just describing the anime princess bride adaptation

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Montoya is neither right or left handed. He has a secret third arm which is his best sword arm, which he reveals in the climax. He tri-wields

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wesley gets up from the bed, having overcome his paralysis in order to stab the prince's heart after a huge swordfight with lots of editing

thus completely missing the point of the original scene

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Pirate Jet posted:

Ooh, ooh - get that massive dude John Wick kills in the library at the beginning of JW3.

I liked that big fella, he had a Richard Kiel 'Jaws' vibe about him

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Montoya is neither right or left handed. He has a secret third arm which is his best sword arm, which he reveals in the climax. He tri-wields

lol shows how little impression it made that I had to do some brain-recall digging to figure where I saw similar very recently the new Men in Black

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's not forget the greatest piece of world building in the entirety of Men in black, from MiB2:

"Kay! He's a Ballchinian!"

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol shows how little impression it made that I had to do some brain-recall digging to figure where I saw similar very recently the new Men in Black

The main villain in Afro Samurai tricks several people to death when they think they've disarmed him, only to reveal he has a third sword-wielding arm that decapitates them.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Alan Smithee posted:

they are going to modernize it by making Inigo and Fezzik openly gay

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He just holds it between his teeth One Piece style.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The third arm is his penis - when he fights it looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ2dI_B_Ycg (video is safe for work just so you know)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BioEnchanted posted:

Let's not forget the greatest piece of world building in the entirety of Men in black, from MiB2:

"Kay! He's a Ballchinian!"
It’s hard to believe that the same guy made both the original and that one. MIB2 is awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s hard to believe that the same guy made both the original and that one. MIB2 is awful.

Turns out that shooting an unfinished script is a bad idea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Regardless. Where's my Blind Guardian composed Highlander remake, Hollywood?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Regardless. Where's my Muse composed Highlander remake, Hollywood?

Just don’t feature a Christopher Lambert cameo, he’s almost unrecognizable these days.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timby posted:

Turns out that shooting an unfinished script is a bad idea.

According to that talk Variety did about Vincent D’Onofrio’s Edgar performance, wasn’t Barry Sonnenfeld there for the entirety of Men in Black’s production, but was hastily added onto Men in Black II during pre-pro?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Just don’t feature a Christopher Lambert cameo, he’s almost unrecognizable these days.

I have a hard time believing he’s Asian and Scottish

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Regardless. Where's my Blind Guardian composed Highlander remake, Hollywood?

:emptyquote:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mierenneuker posted:

Muse is a fine band, but they don't do the fantasy metal thing that makes Blind Guardian a perfect fit for Highlander.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Queen actually

Deepfake freddie Mercury we have the technology

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Stink Billyums posted:

Yeah I'd think they'd go with a Brian Shaw or Hafthor Bjornsson. Boban is like half a foot taller than them but I don't know if you want a Serbian basketball player delivering lines.

But an Icelandic strong man and much worse ex basketball player is fine?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mierenneuker posted:

He just looks older.

The bigger problem is that he was on the Epstein flight logs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

He just looks older.

Yea I think he actually looks pretty good. He's over 60 and I've definitely seen celebrities look much worse at that age. He's clearly had some work done though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Queen actually

Deepfake freddie Mercury we have the technology

I mean, we really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

MonsieurChoc posted:

He just looks older.

I just keep wondering why we can’t solve this mystery. I think it would make a good movie.