Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tars Tarkas posted:

It seems to be really divisive and I saw it on several top and bottom lists, when normally people are jumping on top of each other to try to praise Wes. Most things I saw just seemed to ignore it.

I still haven't seen it, but Cinefix crowned it the best animated film of 2018, while noting that everyone seems to have forgotten it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tars Tarkas posted:

Spider-Verse is why you don't make your end of year lists in November (I have no idea if Cinefix did that, but I saw a few other sites putting them out that early lol)

The video came out the last week of December, but in the video they note they haven't watched Spider-Verse yet.

Which, like, your loving job is to watch films and make videos about them, how the gently caress are you sleeping on a film that everyone is raving about online?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought Ralph Breaks The Internet was pretty good! Better than Incredibles 2, actually, which felt like a fleshed out pilot for an Incredibles TV series.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, there's not a whole lot to go on there, but based on recent trends I'm predicting a YA Alien movie. A ship floating in space filled with teenagers when an Alien shows up. Plucky Amanda Ripley, Ellen's daughter, will inspire the other teens to work together to throw the Alien out of the airlock--that is, when she's not busy trying to figure out if she should ask the cute but boring nice guy or the dangerous rebel to Space Prom (it's progressive because she's choosing who to ask!)

Oh and she uses Snapchat and dabs.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

I cannot possibly imagine this movie has aged well at all

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

Can't wait to see xenomorphs getting kicked to death by a barely legal ninja girl.

That's not being fair to Joss

The Xenomorph will be kicked to death by a barefoot barely legal ninja girl.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm legitimately pumped for back-to-back Mission Impossible films.

Dunno who they're gonna try to set up as his replacement (lol remember when they tried to transition to Jeremy Renner?) but I have a feeling these will be Tom's last. He's not gonna be able to run like a madman forever!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fart City posted:

Please do not monkey paw us into that movie

Melissa McCarthy actually shows up at the end of Central Intelligence

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm not taking about why it was made, but the twists that happen in the film just make me wonder what the hell he was trying to say.

I loved the first 2/3rds but then it just shits the bed and left me walking out wondering what he was trying to do. I just don't get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGu1sOvxYs

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beachcomber posted:

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell me which one is not like its brothers
By the time I finish this song?

Pacino, the rest have managed to give good performances in more than one film.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Animorphs, kind of like A Series Of Unfortunate Events, are fine and preteen age-appropriate as books but as soon as you start to write a film or TV adaptation of them you realize that there's not really a way to adopt them in a way that works as a teen show. The Netflix TSOUE series was a pretty good adaptation, but I don't know if it was actually watched by any children or teens (and they went out of their way to soften some of the more horrifying events).

Animorphs is full of gory and body horror poo poo and it got worse as the series went on (aforementioned war crimes). It could be adapted, sure, but if you kept it faithful it'd probably end up TV-MA, and if you kept it kid-friendly you'd end up with, well, the Nickelodeon series.

The best bet with Animorphs would be an animated series, because then you could stylize stuff in a way that doesn't alienate a younger audience but still stay true to the tone and events of the original material (like B:TAS). It'd probably also be cheaper than a live action show, as there's a gently caress ton of CGI animal stuff that would be needed in live action. But then there's the chance it would just be ignored because general audiences ignore animated series.

In short, as much as I would like an Animorphs series--there's some fantastic potential there for some great TV--I don't think it'll ever happen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

While I think this trend is basically harmless, it does run the risk of people deciding that movies (granted, usually big franchise movies like Marvel or DC movies) have "failed" or are "bad" not on their own merits but because they didn't cohere with or confirm the most popular fan theories prior to release. :v:

People don't need a YouTube video to get themselves worked up about a movie not meeting their expectations. I was disappointed in Inception because the trailer (specifically the scene when Leo is squeezing himself between two buildings that seem like they're being forced together) implied that there would be insane world and area manipulation, when what I got was, uh, a neat folding Paris and MC Escher stairs.

Thankfully Doctor Strange had the crazy prismatic reality manipulation that I was expecting from Inception. In fact I'm pretty sure I like Doctor Strange more than most people, and it's because it finally delivered what I expected from Inception.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
God the more people bring up bits from Animorphs the more I remember how freaking insane it all was.

Also fun: looking at the Flash and realizing that they accidentally (?) put together what would be a fantastic Animorphs cast.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently Sony has the rights to Animorphs and now I'm imagining an animated Animorphs film that looks like Spider-Verse and I'm disappointed that's never gonna happen.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

muscles like this! posted:

Isn't there some Goosebumps-esque thing going on where the creator claims they wrote every book even though it is clearly not true?

No, KA Applegate readily admits to using ghostwriters. Maybe she didn't at the time though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just remembered a scene where one of the characters slices one of the gluttonus worm aliens across the stomach, causing its guts to slide out of it's body. And then the other aliens all rush over to eat the entrials of their dying comrade.

I don't think kids really process how hosed up something like that is when reading it. I sure as hell didn't.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

asecondduck posted:

I just remembered a scene where one of the characters slices one of the gluttonus worm aliens across the stomach, causing its guts to slide out of it's body. And then the other aliens all rush over to eat the entrials of their dying comrade.

I don't think kids really process how hosed up something like that is when reading it. I sure as hell didn't.

Actually, I was slightly wrong, other aliens don't rush to eat their friend's guts.

The dying alien tries to eat its own guts.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I watched Blackklansman tonight and, yeah, if it wins, it'll be a Departed-style "whoops, you should have won this two decades ago for a different film but we hosed up, so here you go" trophy.

So basically gently caress it, give the statue to Black Panther.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/TheJeffBridges/status/1088481555582996480?s=19

Anyone want to bet on Netflix surprising everyone with The Big Lebowski 2 after this year's Superbowl?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The MSJ posted:

This is basically a Smash Bros movie.

It will make a billion dollars and Disney will scramble to revive Infinity.

The post-credits scene in the Illumination Mario movie is gonna be Master Hand asking Mario to join the Smash Brothers Initiative.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Hurricane Heist whipped rear end, don't act like you're too good for that poo poo.

The trailers made me think it was a repurposed F&F script but I realized that without the F&F actors it would just be a bad dumb film instead of a fun dumb film.

Was I right?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That was the first one.

The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Terminator Salvation
Terminator Genysis
Terminator

The second and third films are often stylized as T2 and T3 but their official titles have the full word.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i want to gently caress everyone in this movie

I mean, that's the whole gimmick behind the franchise

[Edit: the subtext of the first film is basically be gay, do crime]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 2, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lobok posted:

The only time I've been in a test screening it was for a TV show that was either an old pilot for Spin City or a very strange reboot of it. Everything was the same except the actors and the name of the show. To this day I'm still not entirely sure what we were there for, like did they just produce a fake show as a pretense to having us there for some reason? So they could take the DNA we left on the disposable cups of our drinks or something?

This doesn't seem that hard to explain: they had a test screening for the pilot of the show that would become Spin City, and used the feedback that they got to tweak it before it debuted.

The feedback from the audience was that they didn't like the cast or the title, so they changed those things.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So a random YouTube video reminded me that there's a movie starting Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Idris Elba, Chris Evans, and Zoe Saldana that I somehow hadn't seen before, so I watched The Losers this evening.

whooooo boy where the gently caress do I begin with this one? It's like like Michael Bay ate the script for an A-Team movie, vomited it up, and then someone filmed the vomit. The cast isn't worth it, they're barely trying. Chris Evans can't decide if he's playing a badass Chris Evans character or an early-career Edward Norton/Brad Pitt/Sam Rockwell wierdo dork character and switches between the two depending on the scene. The rest of the actors are also in the film. The twists are dumb and only exist to keep the stupid film going. THEY REUSE THE OBSERVATORY FROM GOLDENEYE FOR A loving EXPOSITION SCENE.

Oh and the villian might be the most cartoonishly evil bad guy ever.

It's not good, it's not so bad it's good, there's not a single redeeming thing about it.

Christ, who greenlit this piece of poo poo, and how did it get such a good cast?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 11, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
God every mention of the Snuke had me laughing because of the South Park episode... but when I went back and checked I realized that the South Park episode came out three years before The Losers.

And yeah, at the time no one in the cast was a big deal I guess, so that explains how they got them, but going back now is nuts. The Losers isn't the worst film I've ever seen, but I think it might be the worst film with the best cast ever.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The obvious casting for Genie is Sinbad

too close to his role in Shazaam though

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sucrose posted:

In movie news, there's apparently a breaking rumor on Twitter by creditable sources that a "major" director is no longer attached to a "massive" IP and this is expected to be a big story in the coming days.

Twitter users are guessing it's Rian Johnson, but twitter users are usually idiots.

Eh I think this is probably about Singer and X-Men.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Majkol posted:

All of those scripts that he has written that have young, often nude women killed weren't enough of a clue? Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, Nice Guys. Notice a pattern?

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang too!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly if I was Larry Ellison's kid (or any millionaire's kid) I'd also be throwing my inheritance/trust fund at producing movies and videogames too, so I like Annapurna. Plus Megan has really good taste, I don't think I've been disappointed by a single thing Annapurna has produced.

Please note I didn't watch Sausage Party or Joy, but I understand why they thought those were good ideas.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Scooby-Doo meets the Animorphs

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neo Rasa posted:

The Bloodhound Gang.

Oooohhh poo poo, here comes Scooby!

Hey Scooby, what's up?

Re, you bitches, I'm high on Scooby Snacks!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In case anyone has forgotten the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2NFl86LX3Q

It's kind of funny, I loved the album in highschool, "matured" out of it, and then went back to it about a year ago and... yeah, it's a good album.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Young Freud posted:

The whole Pac-Man bit has been etched into my memory. That "aw poo poo, here comes Pac-Man" is still an in-joke among my friends, like whenever the inevitable appearance of a big boss in a video game happens.

Also, "deader than the parents in 'Party Of Five'" is such a great line.

Jimmy Pop is a shockingly clever and funny lyric writer.

'I'm not black, like Barry White, no, I am white, like Frank Black is" is probably one of my favorite lyrical turns.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Young Freud posted:

Isn't that followed with a Pixies homage from "Monkey Gone To Heaven"?

It is!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Watched Battle Angel: Alita today. It was... super 90's. Like, if it weren't for all the CGI effects you could tell me that it was actually a film from the 90's I would believe you.

It wasn't bad, though it felt a little rushed and some stuff didn't really track logically. Alita going to the bar to rally the hunters to help her kill the bad guy didn't make a whole lot of sense because the one time she fought him she would have totally kicked his rear end if he hadn't disappeared down the sewer, and she didn't yet know he'd upgraded his weaponry. Also, the impression that I got from the trailers about it being a YA film wasn't wrong, though they don't pull any punches with the level of violence in the film. If it wasn't all robots the MPAA wouldn't have given it anything under an NC-17 but I guess when slicing off things reveals metal parts instead of organs they're ok with it.

Also the assistant never, ever speaking was wierd--I thought it was going to be revealed that she was mute or something but then she had a line or two towards the end.

Overall though I'd say it's worth watching, maybe not in theatres though.

Oh and I never got used to the giant eyes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

eh, that line isn't that weird. people are focussing too much on her chest being larger when it's really her entire body that looks older, which the assistant points out because the doctor has been treating Alita like she was the same age as his dead daughter, when in reality she was older (not just in the "her brain is 300 years old" sense but in the "mentally she's closer to 18 than 14" sense).

I didn't notice any difference when Alita was in the daughters body and the berzerker body--in fact, I thought it was kind of strange that she was given an "adult" body that was then immediately reconfigured to look like a 14-year-olds again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was she? I honestly didn't notice (height is kind of hard to judge in the film) and I guessed I missed the line indicating she was taller

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FilthyImp posted:

However, he's a lock to play Rich "LoweredTax" Kyanki in the The Interweb movie that Fincher will invariably direct

YOU DON'T
GET
TO POST
WITHOUT
PAYING
TEN BUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Speaking of, Scream Queens' first season was pretty good and worth watching, it's decent dumb fun.

I don't need to tell you not to bother with the second season because it's a Ryan Murphy show.