Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Death to 2018! Long live the new flesh!

Reposting my post from the last page of the last thread because lmao at this news:

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1080592441881907201

18 years in and we bone like we're cheating on each other WITH each other. A decade-plus and their brown/taint-area still pOwns my dick.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Joker - Can this film live up to the constant stream of leaked set photos?

Also, a reminder: there are not just one but TWO Joker movies in production! There's the Joaquin Phoenix one that the set photos have been coming out about, but also Jared Leto signed up to do like two additional Joker movies when he became attached to Suicide Squad, so the first one of those is in production now, I believe.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

People thought Isle of Dogs was boring? :wtc:

It was easily in my top 10 for last year.
Yeah. I usually hate Wes Anderson movies but I saw it anyway. The animation was neat, but nothing beyond that grabbed me at all. I completely forgot it existed for months after I watched it until it got nominated for a Golden Globe or whatever.

Tars Tarkas posted:

The Mr. Plow movie - No one will ever remember the actual name of this movie
I legitimately can't wait to see this. The trailer brings me so much joy whenever I see it in theaters. It looks so stupid and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C2Nad0aMPg

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 3, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DC Murderverse posted:

a star is born is amazing gently caress you
It was okay. Not terrible but nothing great either. Some of the songs are great, but that doesn't mean the movie itself is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Best animated film of 2018 is Into The Spider-Verse. There are no other worthy contenders. Period.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tars Tarkas posted:

Spider-Verse is why you don't make your end of year lists in November (I have no idea if Cinefix did that, but I saw a few other sites putting them out that early lol)
I waited 'til December 30th to finalize mine but I wasn't able to see 2018 movies that were getting a bunch of buzz like If Beale Street Could Talk, so I didn't put it on my list.

Of course it starts playing at a theater here tomorrow, right after the year ends :negative:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching TV and I just saw an ad for Replicas, which apparently opens next week? This is literally the first marketing I've seen for it whatsoever.

I know, I know: gently caress You, It's January! and all, but drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcOTiTVuizU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gatts posted:

a progressive joke but then fell on the landing
Hillary Clinton?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wreck-It Ralph 2 was pretty much instantly forgettable, which sucked because the first one was one of my favorite animated movies of the last several years.

So was The LEGO Movie, so I hope The LEGO Movie 2 doesn't turn out the same way, but I'm not exactly hopeful since Lord and Miller aren't directing this one. At least they're producing it, though, so that's something.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

At least the end credits scene for Wreck-It Ralph 2 was funny because it was using an internet joke to play with the expectations for something people are genuinely excited for: https://youtu.be/r6cMr8mMUxg?t=100
That would've been funny 10 years ago

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barudak posted:

Its 2019 and I'm still mad as hell about Mary Poppins Returns.
It didn't make me mad, it just didn't do much for me either. Then I saw Aquaman which didn't do much for me either. Then I saw Second Act which didn't do much for me either.

That was a day of overwhelmingly average movies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait, Rampage came out in 2018? Holy gently caress, 2018 really did last like a decade in one year. I could've sworn I saw that movie years ago hahahahaha

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

A younger Simmons, John Turturro's character.
Wait really? I guess I just didn't make the connection when I saw it, haha. I just figured it was completely divorced from Bay's Transformers movies outside of Optimus Prime's voice actor and some similar story concepts because they exist in the same universe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Went and saw Escape Room, which was essentially a cross between that Saw sequel where everyone turns out to be linked together by the insurance scheme and the Resident Evil movie where the locations keep shifting. Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

No one gives a poo poo about Transformers or whether or not they're bad.

Bumblebee did look kinda pointless and lame, though. As SMG pointed out in the Transformers thread, part of the problem is that, it's a Bumblebee movie called Bumblebee. Nobody gives a poo poo about Bumblebee, and "Bumblebee" is a terrible title that inspires nothing.
Well you see, SMG is a loving idiot and has been for years. Bumblebee is absolutely better than all the hack poo poo Michael Bay cooked up, and its simplistic title doesn't negate that.

What would you rather it be called? Transformers: Bumblebee's Journey? That would be worse lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The BumbleBee Movie

SMG is stupid because... they claimed that no one cares about Bumblebee?
No, SMG is stupid for presenting like they're this hyperintelligent film analyst, and even though the majority of their posts are ill-conceived schemes, several people on this forum believe them no matter what.

SMG is basically the L. Ron Hubbard of Something Awful

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

Let's just take for granted for a second that Bumblebee is better than Bayformers 1-5.

People still don't give a poo poo about Bumblebee.

I do not care what Bumblebee is called. I don't give a poo poo about Bumblebee.

See how this works?
You're just not in the target demographic then.

There was a light-up standee for Bumblebee in one of my local AMC theaters for months before the movie came out, and just about every time I went and saw a movie there, there were kids posing in front of it and parents taking their pictures.

Then when I saw it, it was an advanced screening like two weeks before the movie actually came out and the theater was sold out and it was mostly kids with their parents. Kids were cheering during it.

People give a poo poo about Bumblebee, it's just you don't.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That still doesn't mean that people care about Bumblebee.

Imagine someone making an CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movie about a robot. And that movie is titled after its metallic protagonist, Ladybug.

And then try to think about how that would go over people who like CGI-heavy sci-fi action superhero movies.
I mean it would depend on how it looks, who's in it, who's directing, etc.

People who are familiar with Transformers (so literally millions upon millions of people) already know who Bumblebee is. And kids who were too young for Transformers or whatever probably know Hailee Steinfeld from the Pitch Perfect movies or her music career.

The movie has something for lots of different people, whether they give it a chance or not.

I wasn't even planning on giving it a chance because I hated Bay's Transformers movies, but I did and I'm glad I did because it was better than all of those.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Guy Mann posted:

Why is the idea that a movie's title could effect its performance at the box office breaking your brain this much.
It's not. SMG being a lovely gimmick for years that people actually buy into is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like I'm gonna be honest I think the central problem is that a movie about Bumblebee, The Shittiest Transformer, was probably going to be a hard sell from moment one

An Optimus Prime movie or a Jetfire movie or, hell, even a Megatron or Soundwave movie would have probably done a lot better even if it came out a worse movie

e: or, honestly, there might be something to the title thing. Maybe calling it something like Transformers: The Beginning or Transformers: Origins, and not using a character name in the title at all, would have smoothed it over.
The thing is, the movie's not an origin story for Transformers as much as a movie about a loner teenage girl in the 80s and a Transformer she unintentionally comes into contact with and befriends.

It's essentially The Iron Giant reimagined in the Transformers universe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

K. Waste posted:

Explaining that the film has a target demographic that responds to it relatively well does not resolve the problem that the film ultimately isn't performing very well. The film is not doing bad numbers because I don't give a poo poo about it. A lot of people don't give a poo poo about it, to an extent that is way more significant than your anecdote.

Like, this is not some "scheme" to try to make you believe that children don't like brightly colored robots or something. This is the exact same thing as when Solo came out and poo poo the bed, and folks were like, "Well, clearly, it was the behind-the-scenes drama." Then when someone comes along and proposes that, maybe, nobody gives a poo poo about Han Solo, these same folks can't square this away with their anecdotal perception that, "Oh, no, people really love Han Solo." But "Han Solo/Bumblebee is popular among a target demographic" is not a contradiction of "Nobody gives a poo poo about Han Solo/Bumblebee." Both things can be true. The only problem comes when you then start conflating personal taste with the largely arbitrary, transactional way in which the vast majority of people relate to going to the movies. It becomes necessary to say, like, "Bayformers/The Last Jedi really ruined people's expectations. It can't possibly be that it's just this movie that's relatively unappealing to most people, and that the quality of the film itself isn't particularly relevant."
I think Solo underperforming had more to do with behind the scenes drama and critical reception not being great. When it came out, I didn't hear any word of mouth saying anything more positive than "It's okay." Sure, franchise fatigue was part of it. I'm not denying that. But another Star Wars movie coming out less than a year after The Last Jedi could have done well had it actually been a good movie worth seeing. Also it got released a few weeks after Avengers: Infinity War which made like 2 billion dollars.

Bumblebee actually got critical praise, and I think not having Transformers in its title could've helped it not be associated with the Bayformers movies. It probably just came out at the same time as too many other movies, so not enough people saw it, which is a shame because it really is a better made movie than Aquaman, Mary Poppins Returns, etc.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Oh no way is it better made than Aquaman. It makes up for it's deficiencies with 80s nostalgia and is pretty good but it isn't even in Aquaman's level
Aquaman was expensive and was better than previous DC movies, but that's not a very high bar to clear. It was fine, I guess, but it was boring as poo poo and didn't resonate with me emotionally on any level. Bumblebee, on the other hand...

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Nobody except the biggest movie nerds even knew about the behind-the-scenes Solo drama. Honest to God, I once had a conversation with a group of friends where they were impressed that I knew who the director of the movie was and we were talking about loving Wolf of Wall Street. Nobody knows who directed 22 Jump Street or that those directors left Solo halfway through. Normal moviegoers just don't pay that much attention to the movie news.
I know not everyone pays attention, but I remember seeing bigger publications and YouTube channels with millions of subscribers reporting on the behind the scenes drama with Solo. It may not have been on every news outlet, but it wasn't exactly completely unknown either.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iron Crowned posted:

Mars needs MILFS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfOTTOsQuvc

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheKingslayer posted:

In the new movie does Bumblebee have a vehicle form other than a crummy looking VW bug? Because I can't honestly see kids not being thrilled about that design.
At the very end, yes. But for most of the movie, that's the form he takes because he's in hiding and not trying to stand out by taking the form of a flashier vehicle.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Actually, no one gives a poo poo about anything." -K. Waste

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

For what it's worth, if they're doing Amanda Ripley stuff, that probably means more Alien: Isolation and related. That game was genuinely dope and I wouldn't hate a movie based off it.
Alien Isolation owned and I'd love to see more stuff like that in the Alien universe rather than stuff like Covenant.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CelticPredator posted:

I’d rather have a Covenant sequel or nothing at all.
Don't you mean a Prometheus sequel because Covenant was basically just a remake of Prometheus with a xenomorph haphazardly thrown in there

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I was really excited for Covenant, and then really disappointed when I saw it in theaters and there was basically nothing new about the movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Len posted:

Weren't those both games Goons swore were going to be poo poo too?

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Doom's marketing was mostly around the lovely multiplayer iirc so it was a bad look til the game came out.
IIRC Bethesda also didn't send out review copies before the game came out, so yeah, it was looking fairly grim until release when everyone found out that, holy poo poo, this is actually the best Doom game since 1994 and one of the best first person shooters in years :eyepop:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So it's Rogue One except not entertaining?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A local theater is bringing back Bohemian Rhapsody for a week except all the showings are going to be sing-along showings.

I don't think I've ever wanted to go to anything less ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Presented without comment:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

muscles like this! posted:

Read a review of A Dog's Way Home and apparently the trailers leave out some weird dark moments, like the dog almost dying after being taken in by a homeless man who dies, leaving the dog chained up and alone. Until some kids stumble across the dead body of the homeless man. Real feel good moment of the year.
:catstare:

I think I saw that my Sony credit card's rewards program is offering reward points for uploading a ticket stub for that movie. Maybe I'll use my AMC A-List to get a ticket to that and just go see Bumblebee or Spider-Verse again instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I just got out of seeing Replicas, the new Keanu Reeves movie that got unceremoniously dumped into theaters with barely any marketing at all.

:staredog: :lol:

I don't want to jump the gun and say that this is 2019's The Book of Henry, especially since we're not even halfway through loving January, but it's similarly misguided and just completely batshit insane. It was so bad but I just couldn't help but laugh through most of it because of how crazy the choices the movie makes are.

A brief outline of what it's about :
Keanu works as a scientist at (what he thinks is) a biomed company. His wife and 3 kids are killed in a car crash. He's the lone survivor. He barely even sheds a tear for them before he decides to clone his family. Thomas Middleditch who plays his work buddy helps him out with this. Together they steal millions of dollars worth of research equipment from their company, and since Keanu doesn't have a generator at his house, he goes around the neighborhood stealing car batteries to hook up the equipment to. Their company only has 3 pods and Keanu has 4 people he wants to save, SO HE LITERALLY WRITES DOWN THE NAMES OF HIS DEAD FAMILY MEMBERS ON SHEETS OF PAPER, PUTS THEM INTO A BOWL AND RANDOMLY PICKS WHICH OF HIS KIDS GETS TO LIVE. HIS YOUNGEST DAUGHTER DOESN'T GET CHOSEN SO HE DELETES HER MEMORY OUT OF THE BRAINS OF HIS WIFE AND OTHER 2 KIDS.

And it gets even crazier from there. I just...I'm completely at a loss as to how this thing got made hahahahahaha :allears:

If you enjoy bad movies, absolutely go see this and do it soon because it'll probably leave theaters in a week or 2. There was literally one other person in the theater with me on opening night.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

got any sevens posted:

Replicas was pretty dope. Sort of a sleeker but lower budget Chappie vibe
It's nowhere near as good as Chappie, what the gently caress hahaha

Chappie is a legit great movie. Replicas is hilarious but because of how bafflingly terrible it is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Or maybe Keanu messed up and his family accidentally came out of the cloning machine as Die Antwoord.
loving SOLD

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

He's over it and that's what really matters. Not learning from it or anything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEM5TKzUI8Q

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yeah that movie looked like poo poo, seriously who went to see it.
I snuck into it the other night after seeing Ben Is Back just to kill some time. Kevin Hart is actively unfunny in it, but of course several people in my theater couldn't stop laughing when he said things. Cranston was alright I guess.

It's not the worst movie I've seen in a while but it's not good either. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It dethroning Aquaman at the box office is a shame, because even though I didn't like Aquaman that much, Aquaman was still more entertaining than The Upside.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The MSJ posted:

Into the Spider-Verse is actually doing better than Bumblebee and Mary Poppins in the US this week. It's at number 4 while the other two has left the top 5.
Good! It's a better movie than both!

Bumblebee's good but Spider-Verse is still better.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Poor ol' Boba just keeps getting killed off. :smith:

(They're going ahead with the Mandalorian TV series instead.)
Edit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BofTUzhBtrZ/

Edit 2:

Wait a second .....

They're adapting the Star Wars Holiday Special!!!! :stonk:
:dogbutton:

WHO ASKED FOR THIS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rian Johnson’s trilogy and the Weiss/Benioff duology are still happening after IX, though Iger indicated late last year that they’d be moving away from the ‘one film every year’ schedule.
If people are already getting franchise fatigue from Star Wars since it came back a few years ago, how the gently caress are they going to stomach 6 more movies?