Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

EBB posted:

that what now lol

I did a few years in the 18th Airborne. They do the regular APFT, then you do theirs. It was a 3 mile run, a long rear end ruck march, and some pullups.

I also distinctly remember a SGM screaming at me for taking a drink of coffee as I was walking into my building (Not supposed to drink/eat while walking!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Brackabra hooha airbourn

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
An Air Force officer called out "drinking while walking!" at me while I was sucking down a bottle of water in summer, and I thought she was joking, so I said sarcastically "yeah, i'm just a really lovely soldier," and she never spoke to me again unless she really had to.

Fuckin' wild.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

thats prolly the best possible outcome

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, better throw them camelbaks away boys, no drinking while walking

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

I did a few years in the 18th Airborne. They do the regular APFT, then you do theirs. It was a 3 mile run, a long rear end ruck march, and some pullups.

I also distinctly remember a SGM screaming at me for taking a drink of coffee as I was walking into my building (Not supposed to drink/eat while walking!).

Yeah, the 18th Airborne Corps standards are supposed to apply to subordinate organizations too, but it kinda ends up being the commander's discretion as to how much effort goes into it. When I was at 10th Mountain, it was supposed to be a yearly 4 mile run in 36 minutes and a 20k ruck in 4 hours. Did the run one year and didn't bother with the ruck. Next year, we skipped the run, trained up for the ruck, but then due to groups being out on missions, only a handful of people ended up actually doing the 20k.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

An Air Force officer called out "drinking while walking!" at me while I was sucking down a bottle of water in summer, and I thought she was joking, so I said sarcastically "yeah, i'm just a really lovely soldier," and she never spoke to me again unless she really had to.

Fuckin' wild.

Had an air force officer get really upset in an operations meeting a while back because an old rear end armor officer kept referring to troops as crunchies.

She literally interrupted the meeting to ask what were crunchies. And then had to have the term explained.

Then made a bunch of comments about :decorum:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

lol gently caress 18th airborne

i deployed under them organizationally and at least the 42nd Infantry and worst cav were there to make em look good by default

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Had an air force officer get really upset in an operations meeting a while back because an old rear end armor officer kept referring to troops as crunchies.

She literally interrupted the meeting to ask what were crunchies. And then had to have the term explained.

Then made a bunch of comments about :decorum:

I remember this and lol everytime.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Air Force people are cool as gently caress, generally.

I work in a joint place and they are the most fun group to work around.

My dad was right. I should have joined the air force. :negative:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Never did any of that 18th ABN bullshit during my time at Bragg.
We were too busy doing dumb poo poo for subordinate units.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Air Force people are cool as gently caress, generally.

I work in a joint place and they are the most fun group to work around.

Yeah, which makes the rare weirdo hardass seem even weirder.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Bet you a penny their command team has no idea why they have a retention problem.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

EBB posted:

Bet you a penny their command team has no idea why they have a retention problem.

Because they aren't ENFORCING THE STANDARDS HARD ENOUGH HOOAH??

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I bet you were sipping your coffee with your hand in your pocket with your hat ranger rolled and your sleeves as big as the goatse anus. You shitbag. You absolute piece of poo poo.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

colachute posted:

I bet you were sipping your coffee with your hand in your pocket with your hat ranger rolled and your sleeves as big as the goatse anus. You shitbag. You absolute piece of poo poo.

Back then? Nope. I was an idiot.

Now? Abso-fukin-lutly.

And I like it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sleeve comment makes me wonder: was I the only dude who purposely pissed off command by doing things like obeying the letter of the reg, but not the spirit- or just straight up lie and make up an Army sounding reg to piss them off?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I've heard maybe 3 people get pissed about hands in pockets in the past 5 years and none of them were E9s.

I pretty much walk everywhere in the BDE HQ with my hands in my pockets. Including one hand in my pocket giving a brief to an O6 and a bunch of O5s. No one at JBLM seems to care that much about hands in pockets.

I am however a huge shitbag. About the only thing I'm good at is my job, I'm an awful example of an officer and a soldier.

Bitter officers definitely give E4s a run for their money when it comes to shamming.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Fuckin' wild.

Army.mil has a story related to this
https://www.army.mil/article/23189/commentary_old_fashioned_reg_knowledge_sparks_smoke

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh man I'm so glad I'm out, that no doing anything while walking is new to me :psypop:

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Mustang posted:

Bitter officers definitely give E4s a run for their money when it comes to shamming.

Uhhhh, shamming implies you had something to do in the first place

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mustang posted:

Neither of them have poo poo on a warrant officer. Some of the stuff I learned from watching my WO in Afghanistan was wild. I swear they have school house lessons on how to sham like a hard core champ.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I’ll take “poo poo that didn’t happen” for the daily double

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mustang posted:

I've heard maybe 3 people get pissed about hands in pockets in the past 5 years and none of them were E9s.

I pretty much walk everywhere in the BDE HQ with my hands in my pockets. Including one hand in my pocket giving a brief to an O6 and a bunch of O5s. No one at JBLM seems to care that much about hands in pockets.

I am however a huge shitbag. About the only thing I'm good at is my job, I'm an awful example of an officer and a soldier.

Some people might have seen permanent night shift TOC OIC as a punishment. For me, it meant I only ever had to deal with two people and could sleep the day away like a vampire.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

bulletsponge13 posted:

Never did any of that 18th ABN bullshit during my time at Bragg.
We were too busy doing dumb poo poo for subordinate units.
525 had their Airborne taken out a bit before I got there, but we fell under 18th so we kept up with their requirements regardless. I guess the top was rotten, but I had fantastic first lines.

Also, lovely as things could get, I'd take it over being on the other side of Gruber Road. I didn't have to deal with too many moto dipshits until I went to Carson, or back to TRADOC for that matter.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I was on the wrong side of Gruber, I'm sure.
I missed a lot of the super dumb poo poo at Bragg just by being deployed. We had our own dumb poo poo, but it sounds like I missed the worst of it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

colachute posted:

I’ll take “poo poo that didn’t happen” for the daily double

Even more self-indulgent than stories of "let me tell you about when I was right and someone in a position of power was wrong," are the ones with a made up audience of onlookers gettin' ready to see some poo poo and jeering like it's an early 2000s movie dance-off.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Never even heard of the no smoking/drinking while walking thing. Looking back, in 3ID in the late 1990’s just about everyone was doing a combination of both. So long as you switched it to the left hand so you could salute it was no problem. Of course the cell phone thing wouldn’t have come into play.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The Rat posted:

Oh man I'm so glad I'm out, that no doing anything while walking is new to me :psypop:

the marines are extremely serious about the no walking and chewing/smoking/drinking etc thing

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

the marines are extremely serious about the no walking and chewing/smoking/drinking etc thing

And that’s when the guy standing there and me made eye contact. And we just knew....

...I was about to end this man’s whole career.

(I read that story in the same tone that this post is supposed to convey.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My time and pride are both worth more than two cigarettes.

loving tuck that poo poo, lie, resume smoking.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Also the amount of times in a joint environment that I was hosed with on regs was non-zero, sure, but noticeably less often than any army heavy installation, and, more often than not, actually correct about the regulations.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
I don't think I had my sleeves cuffed my entire enlistment once I got out of AIT. Never had a single person even blink at it either, oddly enough.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

God the Army is stupid.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
LMAO I remember the DAY Army approved rolled sleeves it still got immediately got shadow banned

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Flying_Crab posted:

God the Army is stupid.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
"We're in Alaska, you don't need to roll up your sleeves" the 25ID leader says to their subordinates as a soldier from USARAK with rolled up sleeves walks by.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

gently caress the Marines, and their judgement on anything. It doesn't matter how angry you get, I'm not going to call you Staff Sergeant, and you can't make me.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

LMAO I remember the DAY Army approved rolled sleeves it still got immediately got shadow banned

Old(ish) guy question. WTF is the deal with rolled sleeves? That was the norm for hotter months, it was like the UPS guy breaking out the shorts in the spring. The CG would decide when everyone had to wear them rolled and when they had to come down again in the fall. Obviously this was just garrison, in the field they were always down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Itchy_Grundle posted:

Old(ish) guy question. WTF is the deal with rolled sleeves? That was the norm for hotter months, it was like the UPS guy breaking out the shorts in the spring. The CG would decide when everyone had to wear them rolled and when they had to come down again in the fall. Obviously this was just garrison, in the field they were always down.

CGs/BDE/BN commanders tend to hate the idea of rolled sleeves and no one wants to mandate that all sleeves get rolled during the summer months, so it either ends up getting unofficially banned or there's just no official word put out on it, in which case you'll see most people with their sleeves down and a handful of dudes with rolled sleeves who get passive aggressively stared at.

I don't bother rolling my sleeves just because I think the pen pockets on the left sleeve are handy.